DC TV Series Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman

Primal Slayer

Let the Siren scream
Reaction score
latest

Decided to rewatch this series today and while it is REALLY aged, still hasnt lost the charm. Dean Cain/Teri hatcher really were perfectly cast back in the day.

It is really sad that they dropped Cat Grant, recast Jimmy (though he was way to hot and did look like Clark), and had to lose Lex Luthor after the 1st season.

Even though Lex isnt bald...the actor who plays him was so good that it made up for the difference.

Overall great origin story for Superman as a hero, Clark as a reporter, and the relationship between Lois and Clark.

Last edited:
While this version of the cosutme is only used twice in the first season...seeing some man chest was nice for a change.
EhuYPNFVgAECqW3.jpg:large

Yeah, Lois & Clark was good. The relationship between the two leads made the show; Dean Cain is still my favorite Superman, and I always liked Teri as Lois.

It is really sad that they dropped Cat Grant, recast Jimmy (though he was way to hot and did look like Clark), and had to lose Lex Luthor after the 1st season.

To be honest, I thought the original Jimmy was a bit too mature and failed to stand out, while Justin Whalin gave him a more youthful demeanor. It would have been better if he'd been cast from the start, though. I did like Cat.

To be honest, I thought the original Jimmy was a bit too mature and failed to stand out, while Justin Whalin gave him a more youthful demeanor. It would have been better if he'd been cast from the start, though. I did like Cat.

I agree. 2nd Jimmy was a lot more Jimmy. But he also got more to do. OG Jimmy would've made a good Conner had the character existed back then.

The casting of this show is second to no other, imo. Dean Cain and Teri Hatcher still stand as my favourite Superman and Lois Lane, respectively. John Shea is also my favourite live-action iteration of Lex Luthor, and perhaps my favourite portrayal overall. And that's not even mentioning Lane Smith as Perry White.

As we discussed in the Superman and Lois forums, I too have been rewatching this show recently. I’d honestly forgotten how much I loved it. This is the best depiction of Lois & Clark as a tandem imo. The actors had wonderful chemistry and the writing, it’s something I’d love to see more of in future depictions. Infact when Superman eventually gets rebooted on the big screen I hope the writer looks at this series for inspiration on how to portray them as reporters.

Just sat right now watching ‘Twas the Night Before Mxymas, such a great Christmas special :yay:

5CBDF7C2-435C-48D4-9AC9-622B22DD8A72.jpeg CCE883D3-083A-467C-949E-102B72ED4081.jpeg ADBA512B-AD30-4EA5-9630-E7B5328E09DC.jpeg

Lois & Clark was a romantic comedy that basically focused more on the relationship and the superheroics of Superman played secondary. I love the first two seasons a lot. John Shea was a unique version of Lex Luthor prior to both STAS and Smallville portrayals. He was a corporate villain with the respect of Metropolis citizens and a love interest for Lois, while plotting the destruction of Superman in Season One.

the best villain in the series by far was Tempus, he was a riot and a real threat to Superman.

loved having the Kent’s family apart of Clark’s life adding support and guidance.

the supporting cast of Cat, Jimmy and Perry were a delight.

the effects weren’t always great, but on a tv budget at the time it was decent.

Great guests stars weekly

I am also re-watching and while the "Superman" part is weaker (FX !) the "Clark" part is great. I love the dynamic of the duo and Teri is the hottest Lois Lane ever. Teri also did fantastic work, showing top level of comedic talent. Clark also shines as person loving his parents and simply a good man. Still - not a paper one. Having doubts, problems etc. Comedy banter of the rest of the cast is also superb.

Where can you watch this now? It use to be on DC Universe, but now it's only comics. Surprised it's not on HBO Max. I watched Season 1, just never got around to finishing it.

There are DVDs of this out.

Have you looked at the prices aside from Season 1? They range from 30-80 dollars for DVD's... which just seems a little ridiculous lol.

Sorry. got my DVD years ago. Way before DC Universe.

Bringing this back around as the series has been remastered on HBO Max
E79ZLekXsAEvrcc

The first season of Lois And Clark was pure magic imo. At the time, it really was doing something different from prior tv and film versions up to that point.

It was the first iteration of the mythology that truly reflected the post crisis changes to the character.
Superboy came before Lois And Clark , but that was still largely the pre-Crisis type of Superman like the Reeve/Donner era.

The was very much a product of the early to mid 1990s with Lois and Clark being modern, 20 something genxers. They very much reflected that age demographic which had become popular on tv with shows like Friends and Melrose Place.

The focus , in the beginning, truly was Lois and Clark. That was the point.
Superman was supposed to be secondary, so , it wasn't due to lack of writing talent or due to a mistake in focus.

Alot of fans today ,and even back then , couldn't really get that the show wasn't supposed to be an "action show" like the The Flash or Arrow is today .

Originally, the show was supposed to be more akin to Moonlighting.

Hatcher's Lois, Cain's Clark, and Shea's Lex made for a great trio and a good love triangle. Shea is vastly underrated as Lex imo .

Lane Smith is still my favorite version of Perry White. I think it's much easier today, in the context of where the genre is now, to look on Lois and Clark and appreciate what they were trying to do back then.

52eb89f9da761a6c6e443b52b0c09cb1.jpg

20237812.jpg

MV5BOTYzYjAzOTQtOGI0Ni00NTkxLWI1MjktYjk2MmZiNWNjMDU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTU1MzY0Nw@@._V1_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2018-10-07_0055.jpg

Since they added it to HBO Max, I'm going to watch it through this time. I only have watched the first season before. I like Dean Cain & Terri Hatcher as Clark/Lois. Shea as Lex is pretty good as well. I grew up with Smallville, so that's always been my go to Superman-related show lol. Although I'm really enjoying the heck out of Superman & Lois. And really enjoy Hoechlin & Tulloch in the roles as well.

Since they added it to HBO Max, I'm going to watch it through this time. I only have watched the first season before. I like Dean Cain & Terri Hatcher as Clark/Lois. Shea as Lex is pretty good as well. I grew up with Smallville, so that's always been my go to Superman-related show lol. Although I'm really enjoying the heck out of Superman & Lois. And really enjoy Hoechlin & Tulloch in the roles as well.

Smallville was also a great edition to the Superman myths, much like Lois And Clark ,and Superman and Lois.

Smallville season one was on fire writing wise.
Dean and Teri both made appearances

MV5BNWUxODM2ZTAtYzJiMS00MjlhLTg0ZmUtNzAxOWNjMDUzNDU5XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjg2MTMyNTM@._V1_.jpg

x6Y4A0a-rVNxa30QznlPX9gg7-DS28cyRj8Cu_tR4LqVRjMUnEoR9vnjLtubN2eJzNgzjXrCPUNt11MUfxrfvOK0yViQ5sTyT1JXa5aAqGspLXj_pG1ltKoy8YxRH-Rf6eMypIrBQeO41WW5rBO0OV9o6Q

The first season of Lois And Clark was pure magic imo. At the time, it really was doing something different from prior tv and film versions up to that point.

It was the first iteration of the mythology that truly reflected the post crisis changes to the character.
Superboy came before Lois And Clark , but that was still largely the pre-Crisis type of Superman like the Reeve/Donner era.

The was very much a product of the early to mid 1990s with Lois and Clark being modern, 20 something genxers. They very much reflected that age demographic which had become popular on tv with shows like Friends and Melrose Place.

The focus , in the beginning, truly was Lois and Clark. That was the point.
Superman was supposed to be secondary, so , it wasn't due to lack of writing talent or due to a mistake in focus.

Alot of fans today ,and even back then , couldn't really get that the show wasn't supposed to be an "action show" like the The Flash or Arrow is today .

Originally, the show was supposed to be more akin to Moonlighting.

Hatcher's Lois, Cain's Clark, and Shea's Lex made for a great trio and a good love triangle. Shea is vastly underrated as Lex imo .

Lane Smith is still my favorite version of Perry White. I think it's much easier today, in the context of where the genre is now, to look on Lois and Clark and appreciate what they were trying to do back then.

52eb89f9da761a6c6e443b52b0c09cb1.jpg

20237812.jpg

MV5BOTYzYjAzOTQtOGI0Ni00NTkxLWI1MjktYjk2MmZiNWNjMDU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTU1MzY0Nw@@._V1_.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

2018-10-07_0055.jpg

I don't think anyone in the UK would've gotten that it was meant to be a romantic comedy first with Lois and Clark as the focus because it wasn't called "Lois and Clark" over here but simply "The New Adventures of Superman." So audiences would've expected it to be about Superman and more of an action series.

First season is great. Have been rewatching it on DVD the last few weeks. Sure it has aged, and TV back then did not have the same FX as it does today. But still very good casting and tons of charm. It gets a lot worse during the later season, but it is still enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"