• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Looking Ahead to 2018....

kguillou

Avenger
Reaction score
So 2017 is almost over and its been quite a year, a landmark year in many many ways. We finally after 17 years got our R rated Wolverine movie and it was amazing, Wonder Woman made her big screen debut and nailed it, Spider-man made a triumphant comeback after a decade in the dumps, fans finally got the Thor movie they had been wanting all along (well, most Thor fans) and Justice League...well we finally got a Justice League movie assembling DC's biggest characters. And with 5 out of the 6 cbms this year being widely critically and commercially successfuly, its safe to say this was a year that shouted loud and clear that CBMs are here to stay.

Looking ahead to 2018, we've got an even fuller plate and with certain deals being put in place its certain to be one of most interesting years ever.

But for now, we've got:

1) Black Panther
2) Infinity War
3) New Mutants
4) Deadpool 2
5) Xmen Dark Phoenix
6) Antman and the Wasp
7) Venom
8) Aquaman
9) Marvel's Animated Spider-man

What do you all predict for next year? Another great year for cbms? Mixed? Who'll be the MVP? Will we be talking about market saturation yet again when its all done?

I think Black Panther, New Mutants, Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Ant Man and The Wasp, and Aquaman could be well received to varying degrees from good to excellent!

Venom, Dark Phoenix and the animated Spider-Man should be interesting to watch out for, despite the caution everyone has for various reasons.

Basically I'm looking forward to seeing everything, but there probably will be a stinker or two!

Last edited:
I'll see them all anyway, so whatever I'm feeling right now doesn't matter.

Dark Phoenix is going to be much better than expected, and very Singer-esque but more in line with the comics. Not the best film in the franchise, but maybe the most popular one. New Mutants is going to be a solid 7.5/10 superhero horror film. Most people will love how different it is, but the story is rather basic.

All Marvel films are going to be solid in their typical fashion, Black Panther being the real substantial highlight. Infinity War is going to be an epic, but Thanos is going to be underwhelming. Ant-Man 2 is a popcorn movie that people will watch, just like the first one.

Aquaman is going to be as critically acclaimed as Wonder Woman and make a big splash. Won't make massive box office returns, but enough to make a good profit. The character is thousand times more nuanced than in Justice League.

Venom is going to be a disappointing failure.

If this is about the ones I'm hyped or excited about:

1. New Mutants
2. Black Panther
3. Deadpool 2
4. Infinity War
5. Aquaman

I am also very intrigued by Dark Phoenix, but I am going to keep wary about it until some good trailers (and reviews). Couldn't care less about Ant-Man and the Wasp or Venom.

As per predictions: Black Panther will be good and treated like the best Marvel movie ever upon its release. New Mutants will be at least very good, if not something amazing like Logan. But while it is well received critically, it will divide the fanbase because some will not like the horror vibe and how different it is. Infinity War will slightly underwhelm, because even though it isn't the final one, it s the one that has to deliver on all the buildup to Thanos. Enter at best Return of the Jedi/The Dark Knight Rises territory where folks are like "it was good, but not as good as [insert favorite MCU] movie." If Thanos is generic, it could lead to some slightly lower reviews and division among the fan ranks (still will be well received no matter what though).

Ant-Man and the Wasp will be kind of just there, and the diehard Marvel fans will call it great, but nobody will remember it six months later, Venom will be a mess despite who is cast. It will have a "me-too" quality chasing after the Fox X-Men movies. Dark Phoenix will be better than we all thought it would be in 2017, and while maybe not as good as DOFP or First Class, it will be more comic accurate and given (ahem) what comes out over the next year about Bryan Singer, we'll all pretend it was way better and a solid sendoff for the XCU. Aqua man will then be actually quite good, get solid reviews, liked by fans, but will underperform at the box office because of the JL stink. DCEU will become the "Batman and Wonder Woman Universe."

Last edited:
Black Panther: Will be good

Infinity War: CBM event of the year, and a great movie

New Mutants: Shows promise

Deadpool 2: Shows promise

X-Men Dark Phoenix: Eff it. My thoughts of the idea is that I'm not fond of it, but it will likely have better reception than Apocalypse did, mildly.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Will be like the first Ant-Man movie, delightful but under the radar when compared to other MCU movies of this year.

Venom: This will fail, not due to the lack of Spider-Man, but due to Sony still failing as a film studio.

Aquaman: Shows more promise than Justice League did

Marvel's Animated Spider-man: There is some promise behind it, but chances of it falling under the radar are there.

Personal expectations:

Black Panther: Has a shot of getting to MCU top 5. Even with a Evil Black Panther.

Infinity War: The season/series finale of MCU. It should be epic and amazing and I expect Russos and M&M to deliver.

New Mutants: Looks like a generic horror movie and that's what it probably will end up being. But I'm kinda excited to see these characters, despite only having read one New Mutants story. But it was the awesome one where they were in Asgard.

Deadpool 2:Bob Ross trailer sold the movie for me.

X-Men Dark Phoenix: Haven't seen Apocalypse yet, so I don't know what to think of this. Will probably be ok, when I'll eventually see it.

Ant-Man and the Wasp: Am excited about rom-com.

Venom: What even is this movie?

Aquaman: Aquaman is a bit too badass for my taste, but I think this will be great.

Marvel's Animated Spider-man: I love it that we're getting an animated feature of a superhero. I have 2 & 4 year old nieces who know who Spider-Man is, but I can't show much anything, because of the violence. I hope that this will be as child friendly as the Big Hero 6.

I hope Black Panther sticks closely to the original source and from the trailers looks like a fairly decent film, trailer 2 certainly looked better than the first.

In terms of the CBM's I'll be watching, just be Aquaman and The Incredibles II for me.

Very much looking forward to those two off the back of JL and the original Incredibles film.

If we're predicting quality and what people think, I say this:

1) Black Panther - Will be very good. I am guessing right around Doctor Strange quality

2) Infinity War - This will deliver and be one of the landmark achievements for CBMs, but since people seem to forget there is an Avengers 4, some may be angry if it ends on a cliffhanger

3) New Mutants - This will be divisive. Some will love it and the bold direction, others will hate it.

4) Deadpool 2 - I am seeing Guardians 2 here. Bigger, louder, , but the majority will think Deadpool was better and say a lot of the comedy was forced.

5) Xmen: Dark Phoenix - This will be better than X-Men: Apocalypse because it seems to be going into a bolder direction and embrace the comic storyline a bit more, but will ultimately likely have lazier performances from people like JLaw, and will just end up okay.

6) Antman and the Wasp - About as good as Ant-Man. Wasp will be a welcome breathe of fresh air, but I would be surprised if this ends up being like TWS for Ant-Man. Oddly with the MCU, the 2nd movie seems to be the more divisive movie than the 3rd entries to this point.

7) Venom - This movie will be a waste of potential. We will see the good movie in there, but Sony will do what Sony does and make it short and make it rushed.

8) Aquaman - This will be a good movie, but I don't see it being a massive BO success like Wonder Woman. I see it doing okay but not setting the world on fire.

9) Marvel's Animated Spider-man - Will do well and people will like it. Not as big as say The Lego Movie, but it will make money (I probably will catch it on Blu Ray).

1) Black Panther - Combined fan hype with the social angle and wide open release date means this has a good shot at being the second highest grossing CBM of the year, if you ask me. I'm probably the most excited for this out of everything.

2) Infinity War - Is going to be massive. Almost guaranteed top grossing movie of the year.

3) New Mutants - New and innovative enough to draw crowds even without the passionate director and great cast and an easy time slot. It'll suck if the Disney deal screws these guys over.

4) Deadpool 2 - It's got a heck of a time slot to compete in. It's going to have to be mind-blowing to make as much as the original.

5) Xmen Dark Phoenix - If the Disney deal has gone through by then, it could really hurt at the Box Office with people not caring. Which would really suck for the young cast. Good thing they ditched Singer when they did, though.

6) Antman and the Wasp - Probably not going to make much of a different impact from the original.

7) Venom - Could go either way. Sony's track record is cause for concern, but the market for this type of movie is high and the cast is insanely talented.

8) Aquaman - Going to be a lot like Wonder Woman. Recieved much better because it was headed by a talented director and production cycle wasn't a disaster. It's success is crucial to the survival of the DCEU, though.

9) Marvel's Animated Spider-man - Should be a lot of fun with Lord and Miller writing. Plus it's great for Miles to get more exposure.

I have a feeling that next year will rival this year in terms of overall quality. What a time to be alive!

1. Black Panther-I'm hoping this movie is one of the standouts. For now, I'm happy that we're finally getting a POC-led CBM in this current climate.

2. Infinity War-I hope it's great, but to be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bit of a letdown.

3. New Mutants-Don't really care about this film, but it may surprise.

4. Deadpool 2-Wouldn't surprise me if this film isn't as good, or funny as the original.

5. Dark Phoenix-This movie could actually surprise. It has so much going against it, that it'd be funny if it turned out great. But then again, it wouldn't be unexpected if it ended up sucking.

6. Ant Man and the Wasp-The Rom Com aspect is the only reason I'm interested in this.

7. Venom-Meh.

8.Aquaman-I hope this is one of the standouts. Aquaman deserves it. Luckily, its got a good director behind it.

9. Into the Spider-Verse-Not into Miles Morales, so this'll probably be my introduction to him. Looks interesting.

Looking forward to Feige's plans announcement. :woot:
Maybe it happens along with the reveal of Avengers 5's title.

And with 5 out of the 6 cbms...

1 Atomic Blonde
2 Ghost in the Shell
3 Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2
4 Justice League
5 Kingsman: The Golden Circle
6 The Lego Batman Movie
7 Logan
8 Spider-Man: Homecoming
9 Thor: Ragnarok
10 Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
11 Wilson
12 Wonder Woman

I plan to watch them all. I hope Aquaman delivers just like Wonder Woman. Infinity War is going to be massive regardless of its quality. Black Panther intrigues me as I know nothing about his mythos. I expect Dark Phoenix to be the worst CBM of the year. The Sony films are quite extraneous and seem pointless but I'd watch it as well.

1) Black Panther
2) Infinity War
3) New Mutants
4) Deadpool 2
5) Xmen Dark Phoenix
6) Antman and the Wasp
7) Venom
8) Aquaman
9) Marvel's Animated Spider-man

What do you all predict for next year? Another great year for cbms? Mixed? Who'll be the MVP? Will we be talking about market saturation yet again when its all done?

1) Black Panther- I think this will beat Homecoming's numbers at the very least. I just hope it's not nearly as disappointing as it already looks.

2) Infinity War- I don't think highly of the Russo's work in the MCu and I'm avoiding all footage in an attempt to be pleasantly surprised when I watch it. But this will no doubt be the record-breaking blockbuster of the year.

3) New Mutants- I'm looking very forward to this. I really hope the horror aspect delivers. I feel like most will crap on this movie.

4) Deadpool 2- I think this will be the Action comedy of the year. It will be loved by most and hated by few. I can't wait to see the ***** talk about Domino.

5) Xmen Dark Phoenix- I have zero interest in this flick but the idea of a fresh director does make me curious. I'll be surprised if it does better than Apocalypse but I do expect it to be the better film If the pattern of these movies stays consistent.

6) Antman and the Wasp- This will be the family Superhero movie of the year. It'll be fun for kids and adults. Entertaining but mediocre.

7) Venom- This is the one I can't wait and have the most anticipation for. However, I think this is gonna be the BvS of the year. Its gonna be divisive among the fans, panned by critics and the general audience

8) Aquaman- I think it'll get the reception Wonder Woman did. I want this to be good but I doubt that it will be. Not crazy about Wan directing but I hope I'm wrong.

9) Marvel's Animated Spider-man- I don't know squat about this but the people love Spidey

1) Black Panther- I think this will beat Homecoming's numbers at the very least. I just hope it's not nearly as disappointing as it already looks.

giphy.gif

I'll stick my neck out and say, I think BP may be the first MCU film I whole heartedly like.

Black Panther, New Mutants, Deadpool 2 and Venom may be the ones I'm most interested in seeing. Everything else, while I'm sure will be fine in one form of another, I doubt I'll see. Between the sheer amount of films coming out each year, whether comic book or otherwise, coupled with ticket prices, I've no reason to pay to see them all.

Stuff like Aquaman, Infinity War, the animated Spider-Man film and others, I don't have a real need to rush out and watch them. There's only so much time and not enough money in the world, at least for me, to pay to see every single one, so no point in bothering.

IW and Black Panther are by far my two most anticipated. It's pretty genius how close Black Panther is to IW - both are highly anticipated and will inevitably feed off one another.

Ant-man and then Deadpool 2 are next. Both will likely be really fun movies, but not quite IW and BP level.

I'm more curious than excited about the New Mutants, but I'm sure I'll see it in theaters if the buzz is good.

Aquaman looks like a real mixed bag - good director, good cast, but wow did JL make me dread seeing any more of that world. WB had their chance to get people excited for an Aquaman movie and they kinda blew it.

X-men Dark Pheonix is the last gasp of a dying universe. I'm looking forward to what happens after this movie because I have no interest in seeing Simon Kinberg tell a story he's already screwed up once before.

I'm skipping both the animated Spider-man film and Venom. Sony isn't getting a dime from me.

Aquaman and Venom, I really need trailers and favorable reviews for me to go see it.

Fandango Poll for most anticipated movie:

1. Avengers: Infinity War (May 4)

2. Black Panther (Feb. 16)

3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22)

4. Untitled Deadpool sequel (June 1)

5. Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)

6. Incredibles 2 (June 15)

7. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Nov. 16)

8. A Wrinkle in Time (March 9)

9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Nov. 2)

10. Ocean’s 8 (June 8)

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...ndangos-most-anticipated-poll-2018/985485001/

Cool to see Black Panther getting the love. These polls are far from scientific, but I'm still surprised it came in ahead of DP2, which I think will hit 900 m+ without China.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"