Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it´s perfectly obvious the type of movie you appreciate, and perhaps that´s why your nickname is "Tony Stark".

We don´t all like the same stuff. I love movies who are darker and serious. You obviously prefer the more cheerful approach, wich i don´t particularly love. I have no patience for stuff that is so obviously made with kids primarly in mind.

The good thing is: Marvel will keep making those types of movies. You don´t have to watch BvS. And you don´t have to watch JL. And you probably shoudln´t, because that´s the direction WB is going to take their product, and you won´t be pleased by it. It´s gonna be more dark and more serious than Marvel.

Oh :dry: Now its clear to me that you base your opinion based on the most superficial aspects of a movie, having an upbeat tone doesn't equal immaturity.

Sometimes i also make jokes after something bad happen. There´s a difference between that and cracking jokes while the world is falling apart though. With The Avengers that´s pretty much the norm.

Anyone who thinks that the way The Avengers deal with problems is "human" and "realistic" hasn´t really been in a truly tragic situation. And when i mean tragic, i mean tragic.

Not that it can´t happen. But it´s not what people usually do when they see themselves in tragic situations.

That being said, The Avengers aren´t really "humans". They´re comic book characters with abilities that real people don´t have. Nothing realistic about them or the world they live in.

"The world is falling apart" is completely subjective. For some that means a literal apocalypse, for others it could be something as personal as losing a loved one. The human brain is trained to react the same way regardless.

You're also ignoring the fact that facing global threats to the average Avenger is the equivalent of a normal person facing normal challenges on a daily basis. Cap, Thor, Widow and Hawkeye are all soldiers/warriors/spies who are used to constantly putting their life on the life, and have gotten used to it as a result. Tony isn't and that's how he developed PTSD. For the first time ever, he was literally in a warzone with opponents on his level. Banner is unconscious while he's the Hulk, so he's an obvious exception. And then there's the Scarlet Witch who appears to have a mental breakdown at some point in the film (as she's also not used to it).

Overall, it makes sense.

I feel like Marvel makes it's movies with the widest possible demographic in mind. Does that include children? Yes, and certainly I think most of the MCU films are kid friendly. But that's also because the way they approach violence and serious issues plays in a way that would go over most kid's heads. It's definitely there, it just doesn't beat you over the head with it so that it can remain as open to the widest possible audience.

Of course there is no reason anyone has to like that approach, I just don't think they make their films primarily for kids.

Are they really human characters? I don´t know many humans who would crack jokes while the world is falling apart around them.

Hospitals, man. I've been there, on a table, almost dying and not only do you make jokes, all the people around you do as well (or maybe I just had The Avengers of medical staffs?) It helps to keep you from panicking about the whole dying thing.

A LOT of people use humor in the darkest situations because your other option is freaking out. That's the way Tony Stark comes off to me - he isn't a solider, he was never meant for this type of life and when faced with world ending scenarios his options are to crack a joke so that everything seems less serious or have a panic attack. Humor just gives you an outlet and focus outside of the terrible thing that is happening.

Well finally got around that BvS trailer. I can without a doubt say that was dark. But in a good way. Comparing it to the first AoU trailer which also had a fairly gritty tone. I'd say this trailer intruigued me slightly more rewatching them both. It made me think of what angle they were going with more, since I already knew what angle they were gonna take the moment I saw the AoU trailer.

Are they really human characters? I don´t know many humans who would crack jokes while the world is falling apart around them.

Do you live in North Korea or something? That's not possible as you have access to the Internet.

Where I live people always make stupid jokes to alleviate a bad situation.

Do you live in North Korea or something? That's not possible as you have access to the Internet.

Where I live people always make stupid jokes to alleviate a bad situation.
It's true. I do it all the time.

[YT]LI3eBENgyVQ[/YT]

And they say the movie has no levity. Cake and eat it too scenario.
To be fair, there is a difference between whilst the world is falling apart and after the day has been saved.

There was that scene where Supes takes down that drone thing at the end. Bit of a chuckle there.

The "No Strings" teaser was way better than what the BvS teaser offered. Hulkbuster and Ultron reveal is a tease. Batman standing on his 100th roof is just lame.

The "No Strings" teaser was way better than what the BvS teaser offered. Hulkbuster and Ultron reveal is a tease. Batman standing on his 100th roof is just lame.

Batman standing on a crane with a rifle in his hands isn't a tease? Okay.

BvS for me infinitely superior to first AOU teaser.

It's been said before but Marvel movies are kind of goofy, I love them, but it's so light, so fun, not in a bad way, but you see what I mean, it's like there are no stakes, no sense of tension or danger, you know (obviously you do with DC movies as well but much less so) the heroes are going to live to see another day, you got characters cracking jokes every 5 minutes, zingers & one-liners aplenty (Joss Whedon for the win), it all seems inconsequential like it doesn't really matter.

That's why Daredevil is so great, it doesn't feel like it's part of that universe at all, it's dark, brooding, tense, brutal, serious, far closer to what DC would do and that's refreshing, obviously Daredevil can't die, at least not for a whileeeeeeeeeee, but he's getting the s*** kicked out of him and you feel every impact.

DCU on the other hand, TDK trilogy, MOS, what little we've seen from BvS, first of all, it's on a totally different & superior league visually (Marvel movies have this assembly line, going through the motions feel to them), and it's so much darker & serious, I kinda hate those who complain about it being that way, that's it's not fun, that it's depressing, you want pure ridiculous fun? go Marvel (and no, that doesn't mean there cannot be any levity), DC movies definitely feel to me like they are more than superhero movies, more than simple popcorn movies that you'll forget all about a couple of weeks after seeing them.

They feel like they aspire to be more than, I know many people love to hate on MOS, but it has more feel & heart to it (for me) than anything Marvel has put out out there, I know it must seem like I'm hating on Marvel but it's just two completely opposite approaches.

When I watch something like the TDK trilogy or MOS, or BvS trailer, I feel like I'm watching something that feels grander, more epic.

BvS for me infinitely superior to first AOU teaser.

It's been said before but Marvel movies are kind of goofy, I love them, but it's so light, so fun, not in a bad way, but you see what I mean, it's like there are no stakes, no sense of tension or danger, you know (obviously you do with DC movies as well but much less so) the heroes are going to live to see another day, you got characters cracking jokes every 5 minutes, zingers & one-liners aplenty (Joss Whedon for the win), it all seems inconsequential like it doesn't really matter.

That's why Daredevil is so great, it doesn't feel like it's part of that universe at all, it's dark, brooding, tense, brutal, serious, far closer to what DC would do and that's refreshing, obviously Daredevil can't die, at least not for a whileeeeeeeeeee, but he's getting the s*** kicked out of him and you feel every impact.

DCU on the other hand, TDK trilogy, MOS, what little we've seen from BvS, first of all, it's on a totally different & superior league visually (Marvel movies have this assembly line, going through the motions feel to them), and it's so much darker & serious, I kinda hate those who complain about it being that way, that's it's not fun, that it's depressing, you want pure ridiculous fun? go Marvel (and no, that doesn't mean there cannot be any levity), DC movies definitely feel to me like they are more than superhero movies, more than simple popcorn movies that you'll forget all about a couple of weeks after seeing them.

They feel like they aspire to be more than, I know many people love to hate on MOS, but it has more feel & heart to it (for me) than anything Marvel has put out out there, I know it must seem like I'm hating on Marvel but it's just two completely opposite approaches.

When I watch something like the TDK trilogy or MOS, or BvS trailer, I feel like I'm watching something that feels grander, more epic.

You're entitled to your opinion but I find it very weird in this case as the first teaser for AoU had no fun parts at all, it was just all about Ultron and doom so your explanation makes no sense to me.

As for style, I like both. The important thing is that they are done well. Darker things like TDK and Daredevil are great because they are done and written well. Something like MoS was executed poorly for me, especially the script, so that doesn't work. The same with more fun stuff. Something like The Avengers is great, but there are also terrible stuff all the way down to the first FF movies. I would definitely disagree that the darker stuff aspire to be more than the other. One reason I disagree is because comedy is not easy at all. If I had to pick I would have to say it seems to be harder than drama from the fact that I can list far more good dramas than comedies.

I think the reason I prefer the superhero movies that can do both is that I think that the Avengers style movie is at the top of that kind of genre of movies, while when it comes to dark and serious I think there are better movies for that than superhero movies. All superhero movies I've seen this far are entertaining popcorn movies for me (well, some aren't entertaining, but you get my point I hope), but apparently unlike some I think that's a good thing.

That's what I'm saying, that a superhero movie shouldn't just "enjoy" being mere entertainment, it can aspire to be something more, something that lingers. Comedy is not easy at all, we agree, but it bothers me sometimes, there's no danger in Marvel movies, it's like everything is a joke (I'm pushing it, but it's just to make a point), I think of that AOU clip where Ultron throws a zinger
and that's the part where I explain to you my evil plan
I don't know.

MCU, DCU, two sides of a coin I'd say. For the first teaser of AOU, I'd say they were trying to be edgy, but that didn't last long.

That's what I'm saying, that a superhero movie shouldn't just "enjoy" being mere entertainment, it can aspire to be something more, something that lingers. Comedy is not easy at all, we agree, but it bothers me sometimes, there's no danger in Marvel movies, it's like everything is a joke (I'm pushing it, but it's just to make a point), I think of that AOU clip where Ultron throws a zinger
and that's the part where I explain to you my evil plan
I don't know.

MCU, DCU, two sides of a coin I'd say. For the first teaser of AOU, I'd say they were trying to be edgy, but that didn't last long.

As said I don't think any of the superhero movies have been anything more (or less, there's nothing wrong with entertainment) and I think all of them just aspire to be great movies.

As for danger, it's certainly unlikely that the main character dies in the MCU movies but I don't really see a big difference between that and the DC movies. Superman was pretty much indestructible in MoS, not even showing the slightest bruise from all that fighting. In the TDK trilogy I never thought Batman would die and even a broken back was fixed with hard pat on the back and a few push ups later he was suddenly better than Bane. Neither of the two companies are exactly providing Game of Thrones level danger.

I won't watch the spoiler tag as I'm staying away from clips until I see the movie in 5 days, so I can't comment on the exact thing (thanks for spoiler tagging it though, not all do that). While Ultron might throw in a few more quips I'd still say that The Joker in TDK was really funny as well. I found that to be his biggest strength and he wasn't nearly as scary of a psycho as, say, Hannibal Lecter. Neither of those two facts mean that he was completely devoid of serious tension though.

As for how Age of Ultron turns out I can't know yet but I think, and hope, that it has both danger and humor. That would mean a more dynamic film and it's what I want to see from the Avengers. I don't expect any superhero film to come and make me feel like The Road did, for example.

All good points (although Supes is basically a god, so yeah :D ), I'm sure AOU will be great, I'm just definitely more DC for the way darker & serious tone, and I love that, plus Zack's & Chris' movies obviously look visually stunning.

Still early to tell, but I have no doubt that Snyder will be a godsend to the DC Universe.

I liked the BvS trailer more than AOU's, if we're comparing. The themes intrigue me more, the cinematography blows AOU's out of the water (just comparing trailer shots) and I'm just more interested in how this plot is shaping up because it's gone from a film I expected to be pretty surface level like MOS to being really really interesting.

I liked the BvS trailer more than AOU's, if we're comparing. The themes intrigue me more, the cinematography blows AOU's out of the water (just comparing trailer shots) and I'm just more interested in how this plot is shaping up because it's gone from a film I expected to be pretty surface level like MOS to being really really interesting.

Surface level isn't always a bad thing, especially in a world where everyone champions fun and joy and such. There's Gosford Park and there's Avengers.
Surface level again, isn't all that bad.

Surface level isn't always a bad thing, especially in a world where everyone champions fun and joy and such. There's Gosford Park and there's Avengers.
Surface level again, isn't all that bad.

It's not bad, but I like some meat to things.

All good points (although Supes is basically a god, so yeah :D ), I'm sure AOU will be great, I'm just definitely more DC for the way darker & serious tone, and I love that, plus Zack's & Chris' movies obviously look visually stunning.

Still early to tell, but I have no doubt that Snyder will be a godsend to the DC Universe.

Yeah, we all have our preferences and that's never wrong. I'm not a big Snyder fan (but I have liked a couple of his movies, so I definitely don't hate him) and was very disappointed with Mos, but I certainly hope that I like BvS. Hopefully things work better for me with Terrio writing and Snyder is at least a very good visual director.

The best part of this being the golden age of superhero movies is that there will be something for everyone.

Mjölnir;31157399 said:
The best part of this being the golden age of superhero movies is that there will be something for everyone.

:up: And we should be happy about that while it lasts.

Mjölnir;31157399 said:

That's...That's a beautiful sentiment. :highfive:

Last edited:
I haven't seen the clip where Ultron quips, but I have read the line and I love it :funny:

I really equally liked both BvS' first trailer and AoU's first trailer. The Ultron trailer was propulsive, with a great intro to the villain's style and gave the viewer a sense of what I hope is the scope of the film, and of course it gave us a look at things like the Hulk Buster and Cap's uniform.

BvS seemed to be really concerned with themes and setting up the struggles of one of it's two stars and gave fans of the other the glimpse of visuals and psyche that they had been clamoring for. Both did their job for me. They were the first step in getting you excited for the film.

I haven't seen the clip where Ultron quips, but I have read the line and I love it :funny:

He basically makes fun of the trope where villains give out their "evil plan" in a monologue. It was brilliant IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"