Will Marvel Studios retain or lose its winning streak in 2016?

See Cap Run

Civilian
Reaction score
I've observed that starting in 2010 with Iron Man 2 all the way through 2015 Marvel Studios has managed to produce the highest grossing superhero film each year both domestically and worldwide.

Will they be able to retain that streak in 2016 with Captain America: Civil War being the highest grossing superhero film or will Batman vs Superman be able to bring said streak to an end by beating Cap 3 domestically and/or worldwide? While I definitely want both films to be outstanding since I will be seeing both in theaters, I nonetheless hope that Marvel Studios retains their winning streak.

Which outcome would you prefer? Which outcome do you predict? Does it not matter to you one way or the other? If you think they'll retain the streak this year, is there a particular superhero film in between 2017 and 2020 that you think has the best chance of bringing the streak to an end? Discuss!

Last edited:
I look forward to DC I really do. And if they did break Marvels streak I'd be happy for them. But Marvel just feels like it has a bit more going for it for some reason

I think Civil War and BvS are going to be very close in terms of box office. There's really no telling which one will come out ahead.

BvS doesn't have to be excellent to make it to $1B. Even if it's the level of it's predecessor, it can still make a lot of money.

I think CW has a chance to make it to $1B because of the Iron Man appearance but I think it will depend a little more on quality.

I think Civil War and BvS are going to be very close in terms of box office. There's really no telling which one will come out ahead.

Indeed. Until we get closer to their release dates and see how well each one is received, it's pretty difficult to predict.

I don't really care who comes out on top. As long as they both do well enough that they can continue to make more is all I'm hoping for.

BvS doesn't have to be excellent to make it to $1B. Even if it's the level of it's predecessor, it can still make a lot of money.

I think CW has a chance to make it to $1B because of the Iron Man appearance but I think it will depend a little more on quality.

BvS certainly does have an advantage with Batman and Superman appearing for the first time on the big screen together, there's no denying that.

BvS certainly does have an advantage with Batman and Superman appearing for the first time on the big screen together, there's no denying that.
Indeed thats the real novelty there.

Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America all in the same movie together + the growing popularity of Ant-Man + plus the newcomer in Black Panther = All in one action-packed conclusion to the Captain America trilogy from the guys who brought us the critically acclaimed Winter Soldier.

Spider-Man, Iron Man and Captain America all in the same movie together + the growing popularity of Ant-Man + plus the newcomer in Black Panther = All in one action-packed conclusion to the Captain America trilogy from the guys who brought us the critically acclaimed Winter Soldier.

The first point, absolutely.

The second and third will add close to nothing to the box office. Nobody knows who Black Panther is. Ant-Man was a modest success.

The first point, absolutely.

The second and third will add close to nothing to the box office. Nobody knows who Black Panther is. Ant-Man was a modest success.

I wouldn't underestimate Ant-Man for it made almost as much as Iron Man and more than Thor, Captain America and Hulk: those three characters added more than a little to the gross of The Avengers.

I wouldn't underestimate Ant-Man for it made almost as much as Iron Man and more than Thor, Captain America and Hulk: those three characters added more than a little to the gross of The Avengers.

The convergence of those characters added to the box office. I don't think it's possible to quantify what each character adds to the box office gross.

BvS box office, Cap critical acclaim.

I've observed that starting in 2010 with Iron Man 2 all the way through 2015 Marvel Studios has managed to produce the highest grossing superhero film each year both domestically and worldwide.

Will they be able to retain that streak in 2016 with Captain America: Civil War being the highest grossing superhero film or will Batman vs Superman be able to bring said streak to an end by beating Cap 3 domestically and/or worldwide? While I definitely want both films to be outstanding since I will be seeing both in theaters, I nonetheless hope that Marvel Studios retains their winning streak.

Which outcome would you prefer? Which outcome do you predict? Does it not matter to you one way or the other? If you think they'll retain the streak this year, is there a particular superhero film in between 2017 and 2020 that you think has the best chance of bringing the streak to an end? Discuss!

I don't see Civil War making more money than BvS, unless BvS turns out to be an horrible film.

The Trinity have a lot of potential as BO attractions. But Cavill's Superman, Batflek and Gadot's Wondy are nowhere near as popular as RDJ's Iron Man, Evans' Cap and Johansson's Widow. The CW actors are not only bigger stars then their BvS counterparts, the characters they portray have starred in films that have grossed over $6 billion. Add Rudd's Ant Man, a crapload of familiar Avengers and Spidey......I don't think it is going to be all that close.

BvS has the best release window of the year. That's going to be hard to beat. Not that they need to.

DC has the characters to beat Marvel every single year, if they do things the right way. Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Joker, Flash, Green Lantern, Aquaman. These characters have massive potential and people are already very familiarized with them. Shazam is also an amazing concept that, if well executed, can easily win the audiences. DC has the characters, the history, the nostalgia. They have everything to dominate the genre.

On paper, BvS should make a lot more than CW. But history tells us that Batman and Superman don't have the strenght that a lot of people think they have. They're the two most popular heroes, but that doesn't mean they will break records and beat everybody else every single time. They don't. Iron Man showed that a relatively unknown character can beat the #1 CB character at the box office. I wouldn't even be surprised if Civil War makes more money than BvS. Audiences have grown to love the MCU and they seem a lot more interested in that kind of product than in DC's darker stuff.

Audiences are fickle things.

As far as a winning streak goes, sure it's about money, but also about well-received films - and that I would expect to continue, because Marvel seems to know what pleases audiences and critics ( in contrast to Michael Bay who makes films that get massive box office returns but critics hate !)

Since 2008 Marvel seems to have a more consistent run of good films - will that continue ? Well I'd expect so, but again audiences and critics are fickle things - I mean there was no way Age of Ultron could live up to the hype after Avengers (although in some ways it was a better film, just didn't have a better ending).

I'm not so sure that the box office draw of a lot of characters jammed into CW is really going to make that much difference ( while some fans might think "oh man, I've got to see Civil War, because Black Panther is in it." or because Spider Man has a cameo, the general audience probably doesn't really care) But the success of TWS and the elevation of Cap as a box office draw certainly will.

All in all I'd expect B v S to do better at the box office, but CW to get better critical reaction.

SS v Dr Strange is tough to call. While DR S has a much, much stronger cast it also has a director who's had a run of pretty crap films, which is not the case for SS.

All in all, I expect Marvel to be more successful critically, but I think DC films will give them a real run for their money (literally) at the box office.

I think its certainly possible WB will have the higher grossing movie this year than Marvel Studios. I don't think its anywhere near certain, though. I also think people here are way overestimating the audience attraction value of "Batman and Superman, together for the first time." Especially when the Superman in question was, to put it mildly, extremely divisive.

It's too close to call with BvS or CW taking the most money. Both have strong novelty factors to get people into seats. I'm more interested in if Captain America can break its losing streak against X-Men on the tomatometer

2011 - X-Men went up against Cap and won out with a higher rating
2014 - Same as above
2016 - ?

With Civil War it's a definite possibility due to the Russo's success with TWS but Singer has more experience and ratings consistency so it's gonna be interesting to see which comes out on top. That'll be as close as the box office race IMO

Last edited:
I'm interested in if Captain America can break its losing streak against X-Men on the tomatometer

2011 - X-Men went up against Cap and won out with a higher rating
2014 - Same as above
2016 - ?

With Civil War it's a definite possibility due to the Russo's success with TWS but Singer has more experience and ratings consistency so it's gonna be interesting to see which comes out on top

If you told someone at the beginning of the decade that Captain America solo features in 2011 and 2014 would outearn X-Men films domestically in each of those years, said person would have laughed in your face. With Cap now more popular than any of the X-Men characters, my guess is Marvel Studios would be totally cool with the "losing streak" continuing.

For some reason I just see DC pulling something amazing off. I don't know why. I feel like they'e gonna rock 2016.

CW and BvS are going to perform neck and neck I believe, the real question is who will make more between SS and Dr Strange.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"