6 Predictions Relating To CBMs in 2016

7. X-Men Apocalypse will also suffer from superhero fatigue - too many superhero blockbusters in one year guys, and too close together. It follows close on the heels of Civil War, too close (CW will still be in cinemas). If people are having to choose which to see they will probably go with Cap and co, although Apocalypse will probably be more visually stunning - and has a better cast ( Fassbender, Macavoy and Lawrence, just for starters) than CW or B v S.

Everyone raves about Oscar Isaac, but does he have the chops to pull off such an iconic x-villain, possibly the best other than Magneto (who's also in the film, damn !) ? I mean, he was okay for all ten of the minutes he was in TFA, but can he do Apocalypse, a guy who's as old as the pyramids and has to feel like he was meant to rule the Earth ? hmmmm......

Anyway, XMA will end up being a well-received (because critics **** ing love Bryan Singer ) film but not be as successful as it could have been, due to external factors.

Okay, at last a prediction I wasn't totally wrong about - just mostly wrong.

Oscar Isaac was okay as Apocalypse, but the look, characterisation and storyline for the character weren't great - not up to what we should expect from one of the greatest every x-men foes.

External factors didn't hamper XMA so much, as a lacklustre story, a few mediocre performances (not Fassbender and Macavoy but sorry GOT fans Sophie turner isnt much of an actress) and underdeveloped characterisations (Nightcrawler ? So good in X2, so yawn in XMA) , and little sense of threat - that's probably my biggest problem with Singer as a director, no matter what the threat is he never manages to convey any real tension.

As I watched the Xmen get slaughtered in DOFP I had to suppress a yawn, because Singer manages to make their deaths feel utterly purposeless - yet when Cap fought Tony at the end of CW, it was extremely tense ( compared to Batman v Superman, whose action sequences reminded me of Michael Bay's transformer messy slug-fests).

Matthew Vaughn knows how to make a death scene or final combat exciting and engaging ( e.g. Kick Ass or Kingsman), which is why XMFC is the best X-film, Singer just can't sell tension well.

Anyway, I think internal problems and critical displeasure are what hurt XMA more than anything else. I was surprised to see the critics turn on Singer though.

All in all it's not a bad film, and is entertaining, so long as you turn off your brain and have low expectations.

1) Deadpool outperforms studio expectations. A sequel, "Deadpool and X-Force" is put on the schedule.

2) Superman v Batman has a big opening but a huge drop off in the following week. It finishes its BO run at under $1 billion.

3) CW outperforms its predecessor but is not as highly regarded as WS. Spider-man and Ant Man steal the show.

4) Apocalypse experiences a drop off from its predecessor. FOX seriously considers moving forward with a present day X-Men universe centered around Deadpool, X-Force and New Mutants.

5) Suicide Squad out performs expectations, leading WB to strongly consider dropping its Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg solo features in favor of less expensive films involving its roster of rogues.

6) Feige reveals that the rights to the FF character family reside with Marvel.

Bonus- Disney uses a chunk of its Star Wars cash to buy MGM, and then flips the James Bond rights to Sony in exchange for Spider-Man.
Holy **** can you see the future??

1) Deadpool outperforms studio expectations. A sequel, "Deadpool and X-Force" is put on the schedule.

2) Superman v Batman has a big opening but a huge drop off in the following week. It finishes its BO run at under $1 billion.

3) CW outperforms its predecessor but is not as highly regarded as WS. Spider-man and Ant Man steal the show.

4) Apocalypse experiences a drop off from its predecessor. FOX seriously considers moving forward with a present day X-Men universe centered around Deadpool, X-Force and New Mutants.

5) Suicide Squad out performs expectations, leading WB to strongly consider dropping its Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg solo features in favor of less expensive films involving its roster of rogues.

6) Feige reveals that the rights to the FF character family reside with Marvel.

Bonus- Disney uses a chunk of its Star Wars cash to buy MGM, and then flips the James Bond rights to Sony in exchange for Spider-Man.
So far you're on a roll with these predictions.

Almost forgot about this thread!

5. Suicide Squad won't be as successful as Batman v. Superman but it will be the more entertaining DC film this year.
This was a safe prediction. It's got about $300 million to go if it's going to catch up to Batman v. Superman (unlikely), but Rotten Tomatoes be damned, I thought it was a fun movie even if it was a mess.

I didn't really do these but I've posted other comments in other threads:

1. I kinda expected Deadpool to be panned and wouldn't of said it could make what it did.
2. I thought that BvS would have around the same RT rating as MOS but make over $1B.
3. I thought CW and X:A would be the highest rated CBM and CW would make over $1B and X:A would top out at 800M.
4. I think SS would be a pleasant surprise financially and WB fast track a SS2 sequel.
5. DS will be in the 80s on RT and make around 600M WW.
6. I think we hear something about FF this year.

So I would have only been slightly right with only 3.

I am so smart!!!!

$572M. Will definitely hit $600M and it's possible to make $650M. This should be also taken on a curve because at the time, I didn't know China wouldn't be distributing it.

I expected $700ish to be honest. I did say pleasant surprise not it's going to rock the BO.

It probably get sequel because it make some profit. But none of Dceu movies making as much as they could because they keep being bad.

That not that great for movie with Joker marketing.

Well, it's a movie with mis-leading, poorly planned Joker marketing that was inexplicably continued well after they cut out the majority of his scenes...

I thought SS would do Deadpool numbers, possibly even $800 million+, so it looks like it will be the third straight DCEU film that came in under my predictions.

Now here's what I said before....

3. Suicide Squad is also a great looking, weird, but underwhelming film that doesn't live up to the hype - and Will Smith overdoes it (anyone noticed that his last few films have not done that well, he hasn't cracked 70% on RT since I am Legend, although at least he hasn't brought his son along for this film, whew !). Suddenly audiences also realise that with her clothes on Margot Robbie isn't that good an actress.
In terms of films about B and C list characters (which is what this really is)
Guardians of the Galaxy was pure off-beat gold for Marvel, but had a better cast overall.....and they were the good guys, rough around the edges yes, but SS is about a bunch of murdering psychopaths with too many tattoos and bad skin conditions, I can't see it having the same charm that made GOTG such a fun watch.
I love DC's dark, gritty feel, but I think SS will take it too far. I do think that Cara Delvingne will come out looking better than anyone else.

.....okay, finally saw the film. Hmmmmm.....as a B-grade generic dirty-dozen type action flick, it's okay. The first half hour is pretty good, but once they reach the city it's a mess. Also, I just can't buy Will Smith as Deadshot.

Margot Robbie was pretty decent, and I liked Leto's Joker, and Batfleck was great in his cameos - otherwise, pretty forgettable.
Cara D wasn't bad as the Enchantress but whoever conceptualized her evil minions should be fired, crappiest generic thugs ever !

" while mildly entertaining it certainly didn't live up to the hype." Is a statement I will stand by.

Well, apparently Margot Robbie was the only good thing about the film - with her clothes on (mostly). Haven't heard much about Cara Delvingne's performance but have heard that there wasn't much story to speak of and while mildly entertaining it certainly didn't live up to the hype.

This is the closest I've come in terms of being right about any movies so far !

So far I'm maybe 1/2 out of 6 predictions ( that's not 1/2 of my predictions right, but 1/2 of one prediction right and 4 and 1/2 predictions either mostly or totally wrong).

Roll on Dr Strange !

Last edited:
Detractors of Marvel's villains really can't say anything if they are fans of these movies.

It hard to compete with movie that have Joker in it even though he was terrible version.

6. Doctor Strange will be a modest hit like Ant-Man, but it will also be the best-reviewed comic book movie of 2016.

And here we are. My last prediction more or less came true. It opened at $85 million, so it's looking to make it to at least $200 million domestic. As for the best-reviewed CBM of 2016, it's currently sitting at 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is the same as Civil War. So it's tied for best-reviewed CBM of 2016. I'll take it as a win. :o

2016 sure was a roller coaster of a year for superhero films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"