Dawn of Justice vs Civil War vs Apocalypse

You were complaining that critics gave bad reviews to MoS but gave good reviews to a movie like Pacific Rim, and that the criticisms were "generic" and could be applied to any movie. So you are in essence saying that they are being dishonest about their criticisms.

No. That´s your (wrong) interpretation of what i said. And i don´t think you really know what the word "dishonest" means. If you did, you wouldn´t say that´s what i was implying.

I gave an example of how a movie can have all the flaws (and even more) some people point out about MoS and still be critically successful. Critics not being impartial doesn´t mean they´re dishonest. It means they watch different movies with different mindsets, and that impacts their judgment. It´s a subconscious thing, for the most part.

No. That´s your (wrong) interpretation of what i said. And i don´t think you really know what the word "dishonest" means. If you did, you wouldn´t say that´s what i was implying.

I gave an example of how a movie can have all the flaws (and even more) some people point out about MoS and still be critically successful. Critics not being impartial doesn´t mean they´re dishonest. It means they watch different movies with different mindsets, and that impacts their judgment. It´s a subconscious thing, for the most part.

I can agree with this, but you were putting it all on people's supposed love for the Donner films.

I can agree with this, but you were putting it all on people's supposed love for the Donner films.

I specifically said i didn´t know the percentage of people we could put in that category. I truly don´t know. I know they exist. And i know it, not only because that´s just normal human behaviour, but also because i´ve known many people like that. So, to me, it isn´t a mystery. It isn´t a theory. It´s just a fact. Those people exist.

My comparision with Pacific Rim was a way to show the difference between a movie with no iconic characters attached and a movie starring a character with over 70 years of history. That´s a big difference.

But even if we forget about the Donner Universe, MoS is still a movie with plenty of flaws. I didn´t like plenty of things. The problem is: Most of the flaws i see in MOS, are also present in Thor, Captain America, Iron Man, The Avengers, and list goes on and on and on.

Once i asked a girl: "Do you wanna go watch MOS?".

And she answered EXACTLY this: "Nah, to me there´s only one Superman".

Nobody has ever said to me "To me there´s only one Thor". You know why? Because most people have no history with that character. It´s completely new to them, so they´re open minded about it.

I'm looking forward to all three films. Each One will deliver IMO uniquely .

Captain America: Civil War will have a slight advantage in terms of hype due to The Avengers: Age Of Ultron, Captain America: The Winter Soldier and Robert Downey Jr.'s presence in the film.

Batman vs. Superman, will have hype for the sheer fact it's the first time event The Dark Knight & The Man Of Steel will be seen together on-screen in live action. Plus this will essentially be the lunching pad of the DC cinematic film franchise that will lead to Justice League.

X-men: Apocalypse has it's own hype due to the fantastic well rounded film of First Class & Days Of Future Past plus Huge Jackman's involvement as Wolverine again.

For some reason, Rose Bryne returning in X:A has me more excited than Iron Man appearing in Civil War, or half the Justice League popping up in DOJ, lol

- Which will be the most successful at the box office?
Civil War

- Which will critics regard most favorably?
Close call between CW and BvS

- Which will be your personal favorite?Close call between CW and BvS

- Which should revert back to Marvel?

Hmm........

Some of these similar threads need to be merged. It's chaos. :funny:

Civil War

Close call between CW and BvS

- Which will be your personal favorite?Close call between CW and BvS

- Which should revert back to Marvel?

Hmm........

Most successful? DOJ.

Regarded most favorably by critics? CW.

My personal favorite? Probably CW, though ideally, it'd be DOJ.

Which property should revert back to Marvel? Batman. :o I would love to see what Marvel Studios would do with him. :funny:

Most sucessful-CW or DOJ.based on last trailer i am not sure DOJ will be that much better than MOS.WB is using batman to sell MOS 2.Civil war has been turned into a more cap centrick avengers film

Criticly-Apocalypse.FC and DOFP got better reviews than first 2 cap films.

My personal favorate-Apocalypse

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is gonna rock it. I feel it being a bigger box-office for sure. I could see it getting higher critical acclaim. I'm not saying Civil War won't be very developing for a lot of the MCU characters. And not saying X-Men: Apocalypse doesn't have an ace up its sleep with its relatively simply plot, but yea, I think BvS has got this one.

I'd agree with Box Office but not Critical Praise.

Captain America: Civil War is #1 of my most anticipated films of 2016 for me. I'm excited to see Cap Vs. Iron Man, Iron Man's Avengers vs. Captain America's Avengers, and the introductions of Black Panther and the big MCU prize of Civil War himself...... SPIDER-MAANNNN!!!!!!!

I'm calling it now, Cap 3 will globally out gross Avengers 1 & 2.

My second favorite is Deadpool

3)Dr. Strange
4)X-MEN: Apocalypse
5)Suicide Squad

F-U, "Batman V. Superman" and ur marketing for spoiling the entire movie with Doomsday, but with Aquaman being the only character left out.

I don't think I've shared this yet but I went to see Star Wars last weekend. Packed theatre. I paid close attention to the reactions to each trailer.

X-men Apocalypse: absolutely nothing. Not even a murmur.

DoJ: pretty good amount of chatter both during and after the trailer, especially with Wonder Woman. My audience seemed both surprised and excited to see her.

Civil War: a whole lot of chatter throughout the entire thing. Easily the most anticipated of my crowd, judging by the reactions. I gathered that was the first time a lot of people were even hearing about Civil War, so I guess seeing two characters that everyone is familiar with fight each other really caught their interest.

I predict:

X-men Apocalypse gets the best critical consensus, but performs the worst at the BO.

BVS makes the most money, but critics and fans are deeply divided over it.

Civil War doesn't make the most money or has the best RT score, but is the most liked within the fandom.

Last edited:
Which will be the most successful at the box office?

DOJ, but not by a lot, with CW a close second. While Marvel has built up a lot of goodwill with the Iron Man and Avengers films, the curiosity factor in seeing the big two superheroes go head to head has more pulling power.

Age of Apocalypse might even suffer from superhero fatigue - given that audiences will have seen DOJ and CW already.

Which will critics regard most favorably?

Well, I suspect that CW will have a more nuanced plot (I hope it's more than
just Cap and Tony feuding over Bucky) and the critics seem to really react favourably to Marvel's approach to movie-making. So I'd bet on the critics giving CW a good score - which it probably will deserve, from a writing point of view (if it's the same creative team, although John Favreau hit pure gold with Iron Man, but turned to **** with IM 2, so the same team can't always guarantee a good sequel).

DOJ doesn't look like it's got much of a plot. But then neither did Mad Max, so simple stories done well can be very good. I'd be surprised if DOJ gets better than 80%, given that all the stuff I loved about MOS at least half the critics seemed to hate. It's a much less certain thing. I'd expect it to do better than MOS with the critics, but I doubt it's going to rate anywhere near the Avengers.

XMen Apocalypse..... tough to tell. Critics seem to really like Bryan Singer. He made Superman returns, which was an unbearable piece of ****, but still managed to get a much better ROT score than MOS.

Also, no matter how crappy the story is there's going to be some great action, and also some of the best actors currently working ( I'm thinking Lawrence, Fassbender, Macavoy and Hoult ) so it's going to be watchable.
As for Oscar Isaac, I haven't seen a lot of his stuff, but I don't get the hype
around him. There are plenty of actors who would have brought tons of
gravitas to the role of one of the best X-Villains (possibly the best besides Magneto). So I wouldn't be surprised if critics give it an 85%+ rating.

Which will be your personal favorite?

DOJ - not even close.

If Cap cut off Tony's head with his Shield, I'd get mildly interested in CW. I liked Iron Man (well the first one) and enjoyed TWS, despite having an intense dislike of Captain America ( and that Chris Evans makes him tolerable for me, indicates what a great job he's doing - but that doesn't make the character any more interesting).

I've always found Cap boring, and still do - the whole Government oversight thing, really ? I mean, I find it weird that Tony's on the Government's side in this, if anyone has a problem with authority it's Tony.

Ultimately, the idea of a conflict between Iron Man and Cap doesn't interest me at all. Having said all that, I'm still expecting CW to be an enjoyable movie.

But to me a fight between Batman and Superman is just so much more exciting as a concept than Cap v Tony. And even if I know they end up mates at the end, hell I want to see that play out, even if I can pretty much guess how it will happen.

I mean, Cap v Tony is a reasonably evenly matched fight. Supes v Bats isn't even close, so we all want to see how Bats keeps Supes on the backfoot ( yes, we suspect it will be kryptonite, but that's still something exciting).

Did they give away too much in the trailer, yup. Does it matter, not at all.

As for XMA, well who knows? Just based on the trailer I'd rate it above CW, but really, who knows, it could be terrible. IN terms of source material, it interests me a lot more than CW

I loved bits of DOFP, but as a whole film found it forgettable - I mean, the Sentinels are amongst the most implacable of all the X-villains, and can be pretty damn scary. In the film they more reminded me of the The Fury (from Captain Britain), and for some reason didn't find them scary - possibly because they were so overpowered - it's weird, because the X-heroes not having any chance should have made them terrifying, but instead it kind of made their last stand pointless.....well that was my impression, I mean I just didn't find any of the x-character's deaths particularly emotionally resonant.

But that' just me.

So for me it's likely to be DOJ in front, with CW and XMA fighting for second.

I hope all three will be great, the studio mud slinging holds no interest to me. I hope fans for all the films get what they want from them. Having said that of course there will be dissapointments and personal preferences of which is "better". For what it counts:

Probably BvS by a hair from CA:CW. The hook of seeing Batman again on the big screen and the start of the JL will be a big factor of getting fans excited and in the theater. CA is already coming off a well established franchise and arguably its best effort from the MCU of Winter Soldier so it will be massive, no doubt about it but I think Batmans return will be too much for people to miss and will sneak it. Apocalypse will probably do a bit better than DOFP but not in the same bracket as the other two.

Tough to call, from the trailers I'd say its between Apocalypse and CW for this one. The first couple of trailers had me pumped for BvS but the last one had me a little worried and think it may fall into some of the same pitfalls of MoS and I can see some fans/critics being split over the portrayal of Batman and putting in a CGI monster which seems to be a mash up of two other characters. The other two films have the issue of juggling a large number of characters but both managed to pull it off last time and with the same directors at the helm there's no reason they cant do it again. Oscar Issac seems to give the most interesting hint at a performance worth watching from the trailers so there is that to factor in too. I think it will be close between Apoc and CW and from the flip of a coin I will say CW will just about take it but the next trailers for each may change that view.

- Which will be your personal favorite?

I have the most vested interest in Apoc being an X-Men fan first and foremost and DOFP being one of my favourite CBM's of all time that may work for or against it. The same with CW in which Cap is my favourite MCU character and Winter Soldier being a stellar CBM. Hopefully its a similar outcome to 2014 where both are great to me and improve slightly on their predecessor. I will be gutted if either is a disappointment. BvS is purely interesting to see what happens with both Bats and Supes in the same film, Batfleck's take on the character, WW intro, lots to look forward to in it just the question of whether it hangs together.

Anyway lots to look forward to in 2016 and it might not even be one of these three films that end up being the best comic book movie of the year, its mad to think. Whatever happens I cant friggin wait.

Most money will likely go to Batman v Superman just because of the fact that those two characters will not only be together for the first time, but will be duking it out.

Most successful with critics will probably be Apocalypse.

General audience will probably love Civil War.

I still haven't taken the time to see Age of Ultron or Days of Future Past, and have seen Man of Steel approx. six times. That should be a big hint as to where my priorities lay.

Last edited:
I want BvS to be the most successful but tbh I highly doubt it's gonna name more than Civil War. Hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it. I actually think BvS might need some good word of mouth.

Also I don't know how general audiences feel about Bat-fleck, if it were Christian Bale returning the film would be the most profitable IMO but it's not so I'm unsure what audiences are gonna feel like.

Of course BvS is where it's at for me, it doesn't get any bigger than Supermam and Batman together but we live in a time where Iron Man is more popular than Spider-Man. I never thought that would happen, the MCU has so much goodwill with audiences that it's a hard train to topple. But I have no doubt in a personal level BvS will be my favourite.

Last edited:
Since this is is like Justice League Prelude, I think if it doesn't make at least $1 billion regardless of quality, then I don't see how you can call it a success.

Which property should revert back to Marvel? Batman. :o I would love to see what Marvel Studios would do with him. :funny:

We saw what happened when they tried to make Batman family friendly with silly kid jokes.

Since this is is like Justice League Prelude, I think if it doesn't make at least $1 billion regardless of quality, then I don't see how you can call it a success.

I don't get why everything has to make a billion to be considered a success these days at all. Sure the studios probably want that but aslong as it makes two or three times its money back it's a success.

I don't get why everything has to make a billion to be considered a success these days at all.

Well in terms of salary, production, marketing etc. for movies the scales of Star Wars, Avatar, Avengers etc. for them to turn a profit, they need to make over $1 billion sometimes even closer to $1.5 billion.

There are rumors that the BvS movie is over $460 million in budget alone.

Sure the studios probably want that but aslong as it makes two or three times its money back it's a success.

Ant-Man, Aquaman maybe Green Lantern, Dr. Strange, sure if they can double or triple their money back sure.

BvS/Justice League is on level closer to the movies I mentioned previously. Amazing Spider-Man 2 made $700 million WW and even if they did make a profit, which they really didn't, the Spider-Man franchise should be on a different level. X-Men, Captain America and Guardians shouldn't be making more money then Spidey.

I don't get why everything has to make a billion to be considered a success these days at all. Sure the studios probably want that but aslong as it makes two or three times its money back it's a success.

Bragging rights pretty much for fans to use as adding weight to their view on whichever franchise they are fanboying over.

Other than making enough money to secure a sequel I dont see the big deal for BO returns for fans, a lot seem concerned about how big a dividend the shareholders at Disney/Fox/Sony make it seems :huh::cwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"