Avengers: Age of Ultron vs X-Men: Apocalypse

I don't think so.

I think Apocalypse might be the next Magneto or Stryker of the X-Men movies. I also think we are gonna see him more of him than Sebastian Shaw and Silver Samurai.

Why bring up Stryker? He was also a one-and-done villain, being killed off in the same film he was introduced. He only has a recurring role in stories set before his death, which IMO don't count.

It'll be interesting to see the poll after the trailer is released next week

It's nearly 2-1 for AoU now and this is on a comic book site. It's going to go up even more when the trailer is released. I love X-men, and I loved DOFP, but in the general public it's clear which one is the bigger franchise and preferred. To be fair these films are not out in the same calendar year, but even the most ardent X-fan has to admit that Avengers has the wider appeal.

It's a bit like Star Wars and Star Trek. I'm a huge Trek fan, and I loved JJ's Trek films but you saw that even those had hit the ceiling on the fan base. Star Wars is clearly the larger more appealing franchise, but I know there are people that like Trek more than Star Wars. It's just that they're a minority of the viewing public.

Got to agree with that, Spader can steal scenes from Shatner (one of the all-time great scene stealers), so no doubt he'll be great as Ultron.

As much as I don't like the Avengers, (sorry Marvel dudes, vastly prefer DC) I have to give credit where credit is due, and Whedon's first Avengers outing is a very, very good action film -and definitely one of the best CBM's. Despite not liking the Avengers at all, I really enjoyed the film( although in terms of Marvel films I think Guardians of the Galaxy was even better ! Now that's a fantastic film. DOFP was entertaining, but forgettable - it doesn't have the re-watch value that Avengers or Guardians has).

Whedon's got great casting, well established characters, the might of Disney behind him and his own prodigious talents - really I'd be utterly amazed if he screwed it up, I just can't see it (although I've been wrong before, especially about George Lucas in similar circumstances). But barring a total brain failure by Whedon Aof U is going to break all kinds of box office records, and unlike the transformers films, be utterly worthy of that success. That's saying a lot for me, as I've never really liked the Avengers (in comics or in their individual films, except the first Iron Man, which is probably the best Marvel origin movie ever, Thor's fun too, Cap, yawn !)

By contrast, I used to love the X-men, my favourite Marvel book for a long time.
But, as someone else pointed out, Singer's big action sequences just aren't as satisfying as they should be - for some reason when the X-men were getting killed in DOFP I didn't really care (and I loved the original DOFP X-comics),

It doesn't matter that I know they're going to win in the end - in LOTR when Gandalf apparently dies in the first film, audiences were stunned (people actually cried, when I saw it in the cinema) even though most knew he was going to be resurrected in the next film.

Yet, when McKellen and co get slaughtered by the Sentinels, it just doesn't have the same impact - which is weird, as they get killed
pretty gruesomely.

Anyway, I've never trusted Singer after he ruined Superman - so on that alone I've got far more faith in Whedon to follow up Avengers with something pretty amazing.

Do we know who's cast as Apocalypse yet ? That would make a big difference, I think, to how well XM:A works out.

Just my opinion though.

There are rumors going around that they're talking to Tom Hardy. I'm not sure I believe that, but if it were true that would be an excellent choice.

People are going to side which franchise they like more. Objectively, I know more about AOU than Apocalypse. Plus there's going to be a trailer released next week with Agents of Shield and like I said previously one is coming out in like 6 months as opposed to 18 months. To a fan of CBM, it should be the one coming out first.

Definitely Age of Ultron, although i'm also excited for Apocalypse.

This poll Is clearly going to fall between those who like X-Men films and those who prefer Marvel studios films over all Fox,Sony,and DC films.

Since they don't come out in same year it's unfair poll.Cap 3 VS APocalypse would be better poll although results may be the same.

Age of Apocalypse > Age of Ultron ;)

Sayeth_What.gif

:oldrazz:

I change my answer. For me, that trailer was a bit of a letdown.

There are rumors going around that they're talking to Tom Hardy. I'm not sure I believe that, but if it were true that would be an excellent choice.

Interesting, he would be good as the bulky techno-organic Apocalypse.

Just please don't put a mask on him this time !

Kind of impossible to choose since we don't even have a full cast for Apocalypse and have finally seen Ultron footage.

Yeah, I have the same problem with this poll as I do the Justice League one. How can I be more hyped for an anticipated film that is over a year away than one out in a few short months?

Why bring up Stryker? He was also a one-and-done villain, being killed off in the same film he was introduced. He only has a recurring role in stories set before his death, which IMO don't count.

He appeared in 3 X-Men films. so how is that a 1 and done villain?
For me, that trailer was a bit of a letdown.

Thats what I felt too.

Don't know how a movie is going to be a let down jut based on a Teser Trailer. Folks cmon give me a break. Please tell me you don't want everything hown to you in a fricken Trailer to begin with.

Main villain or what (I wasn't implying main villain in my earlier post, fyi). He just wasn't used in 1 film. Besides Magneto, who is another character in the X-Men series that was a main villain that appeared in more than 1 film, Stryker only fits the criteria. Mystique, Sabretooth, Toad, Pyro were never the main villain.

I would like to see this if this was West Coast Avengers: Tygra vs X-Men: Cypher and see the reasoning which one was preferred.

Okay I liked DOFP, but it had nowhere near as big of an impact as Avengers did.
That being said, I'm looking forward to Age of Ultron more.

But I will admit that the trailer was pretty underwhelming though.

Last edited:
Avengers hands down now.

Hands down.

I find myself much more attached to the way X-Men is being handled right now than to Marvel's first party work.

Avenger: AoU but to be fair, we haven't seen the trailer for X-Men: Apocalypse.

Avengers: AoU trailer was a bit underwhelming.

AoU and it's not even close. To be honest, I'd look forward to just about any MCU film more than AoA(and I am looking forward to it....sorta). DoFP was fine and dandy but I think my capacity to be interested in FOX's properties has been permanently curtailed. Ditto for Sony's Spider-man films. They both can sometimes be nice and all but they're all off doing their own things completely unconnected and that's just not as interesting anymore. Plus the sheer number of times they've just ****ed it all up has left left a feeling of permanent malaise toward all their future efforts. AoA is probably about the most I've ever anticipated one of their movies(and I'll be there OW) and even that isn't saying all that much.

Avengers AOU.No doubt about it.

I'm excited for Apocalypse,but Ultron is a whole 'nother level.

I'm actually anticipating X-Men: Apocalypse, where as I have no hype what so ever for Avengers: Age of Ultron. So X:A for me.
Excuse me as I eat my own words out of existence. The AoU teaser was fantastic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"