Dawn of Justice vs Civil War vs Apocalypse

pr0xyt0xin

Shaper Savant
Reaction score
All three tentpole films are released in the spring of 2016. In just 18 short months you will have seen all three! Each is coming off of the success of a heavy box office hitter (Man of steel, Winter Soldier/Age of Ultron, Days of Future Past). So I ask you....

Predict:

- Which will be the most successful at the box office?
- Which will critics regard most favorably?
- Which will be your personal favorite?

So far we haven't seen all that much from any of these movies. Feel free to update your predictions as more news is released.

My official 18 month out predictions:
- Which will be the most successful at the box office? BvS: DoJ, this film has the good fortune of going first. If head to head against Evans/Downey on the same weekend, I truly doubt Cavill/Affleck would have what it takes. Even still it might be close. I guess we'll see.

- Which will critics regard most favorably? Civil War, judging by Marvel/Disney's history compared to Warner Bros and Fox, the critical acclaim will likely go in Captain America's winged hat.

- Which will be your personal favorite? X-Men: Apocalypse, under no normal circumstances would I have put an X-Men film above a MCU film, but in this case I think I will be thirsty for one. Fox's X-series may have some ugly step children, but if, with Singer's help, McAvoy/Fassbender pull off three in a row I'll certainly be thrilled.

Last edited:
Box office maybe DOJ, but i think it´s going to be way closer than people think. DOJ might make a little more than 1 billion. Maybe 1.2 billion or something like that.

Dawn Of Justice will do better the Argo guy is writing the film and it has no competition for about 4 weeks .

I voted expecting thinking the question is about the movie we look forward to see the most.

Civil War.

Unable to answer.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I'm going with Civil War for all three.

It will have Iron Man for box office, powerful subtext for the critics, and some intense showdowns between superheroes for me to enjoy.

I'd say Civil War has the potential to take all three slots, but I think BvS: DOJ is the one I'm most looking forward to, because we've seen Cap and Iron Man on the big screen together before. This will be the first time seeing Superman and Batman together, and also getting Wonder Woman for the very first time on the big screen.

While a Batman v Superman movie would usualy be my most hyped, for some reason, i'm actualy more interested in the other 2.

It is way too early to answer the questions proposed. As to which one will be my favorite, that I won't know until after I watch all three.

That said, I am more hyped for Civil War than Dawn of Justice for primarily one big reason that I think could be tough for Dawn of Justice to overcome. Both of these films are built primarily on the idea of seeing their two biggest superheroes go head to head (Batman vs. Superman and Iron Man vs. Captain America), and quite frankly Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans can act circles around Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill. We have years and years of evidence showing that. Everything else being equal, that is a HUGE advantage in Marvel's favor.

Box Office: DOJ, Civil War, X-Men
Critics: Civil War, X-Men, DOJ
Personal: DOJ, Civil War, X-Men

Of course this is all before any trailers or anything but just gut.

Most Successful at Box Office: I think Civil War will do better Domestically but BvS will do better in the Foreign box office.

Critics regard most favorably: It's a toss up at this point. With the Russos returning and Evans/Downey starring it could be possible. However with Affleck, Terrio's script, and Snyder's visuals BvS could be critically acclaimed.

Personal favorite: BvS.

It'll be close - very close. I think Cap will have the edge, but yeah, close. But Civil War wins.

- Which will critics regard most favourably?

Civil War.

- Which will be your personal favourite?

Civil War. Probably.

Civil War > Dawn of Justice > Apocalypse

In terms of performance and profits.

Which will be the most successful at the box office?

DOJ...by a small margin. Marvel Studios has so much goodwill that this will be a serious competitor to Bats v. Supes.

Which will critics regard most favorably?

Judging by reactions to MOS, TA and TWS, Civil War.

Which will be your personal favorite?

Downey as Stark and Evans as Rogers are two of my favorite CBM castings. The friction/chemistry between them is awesome, and I really think this movie will be something special.

Most successful at the box office: Dawn of Justice
Most successful with critics: Civil War
My favorite: Dawn of Justice

Box-office-wise, Dawn of Justice has the edge by being the first time Superman and Batman share the big screen together. Captain America and Iron Man have established fanbases at this point, but BvS has the novelty factor. Not to mention the fairly light competition.

Critics go to Civil War. Same talent behind Winter Soldier, which in my humble opinion is the best Marvel film to date. Chris Terrio's involvement might help DoJ a bit, but Snyder's track record is far too hit-and-miss for me to vote his way.

My personal favorite? Dawn of Justice. It would take a genuinely awful film for me to feel differently. Batman's my favorite superhero, I've always been more of a DC guy, and we finally get to see Supes and Bats go toe-to-toe after 75 years. So yeah. Barring a truly terrible movie, this is a no-brainer.

Most successful at the box office: Dawn of Justice
Most successful with critics: Civil War
My favorite: Dawn of Justice

Box-office-wise, Dawn of Justice has the edge by being the first time Superman and Batman share the big screen together. Captain America and Iron Man have established fanbases at this point, but BvS has the novelty factor. Not to mention the fairly light competition.

Critics go to Civil War. Same talent behind Winter Soldier, which in my humble opinion is the best Marvel film to date. Chris Terrio's involvement might help DoJ a bit, but Snyder's track record is far too hit-and-miss for me to vote his way.

My personal favorite? Dawn of Justice. It would take a genuinely awful film for me to feel differently. Batman's my favorite superhero, I've always been more of a DC guy, and we finally get to see Supes and Bats go toe-to-toe after 75 years. So yeah. Barring a truly terrible movie, this is a no-brainer.

Same. The Russo brothers returning for Civil War has me wondering if it'll be better than AoU the way I feel TWS is better than TA.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Frankly, The Avengers isn't even in my top 3 of Marvel films.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man

I gotta give Marvel credit. They really killed it this year. Especially coming off of such a mediocre 2013.

Last edited:
1) Civil War 2) Dawn of Justice 3) Apocalypse

CW will be coming off AoU, similar to IM3 coming off of TA and that made $1.2b. BvS is coming off the lukewarm MoS.

The last Cap movie made more than the last Superman movie, IM3 made more than TDK & Rises. While TDK & Rises made more than $1bn each, this is not the Nolan/Bale Batman, it's the Snyder/Affleck version which is unproven.

I still think the novelty of Superman/Batman/Wonder Woman on the big screen (+ Terrio hopefully turning in a good script) will land it in the $800m-$950m region.

If X-Men continues the quality of DOFP I think it'll grow to the $750-800m range.

1) Toss up between DoFP & CW, 3) DoFP

The makers of CW & DoFP have had great success with their previous entries, so naturally you'd expect/hope they'd keep it up, and there hasn't been anything to suggest they won't. Snyder on the other hand has a not so great track record with critics.

Impossible to answer, so I'm replacing it with a new question - Which one are you most looking forward to?
1) Civil War 2) Apocalypse 3) Dawn of Justice

For pretty much the reasons I've already gone into, + I enjoyed Winter Soldier more than DoFP (and way more than MoS), I'm always up for more RDJ & I really want to see Black Panther.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least. Frankly, The Avengers isn't even in my top 3 of Marvel films.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Guardians of the Galaxy
Iron Man

I gotta give Marvel credit. They really killed it this year. Especially coming off of such a mediocre 2013.

Same, I think something Civil War has going for it is that it features the two most developed MCU characters. That only bodes well. In TA it seemed like they knew Thor/Banner weren't that important so their individual contribution in terms of development or story was minimal. First time seeing Avengers I walked out thinking "That was a really good time, fun movie", but I can't manage to re-watch it. I started re-watching it on TV a few months back and got a third in before I lost interest. TWS though I rented from home and had it for 3 days and I watched it like 4 times. In technical execution I'd say it's easily as good as TA, in terms of character investment/development with Cap and the supporting cast it trumps TA hands down for me.

Personally I'm most looking forward to BvS, but Cap is the MCU character I like most so I'm excited to see what they do with Civil War.

It is way too early to answer the questions proposed. As to which one will be my favorite, that I won't know until after I watch all three.

That said, I am more hyped for Civil War than Dawn of Justice for primarily one big reason that I think could be tough for Dawn of Justice to overcome. Both of these films are built primarily on the idea of seeing their two biggest superheroes go head to head (Batman vs. Superman and Iron Man vs. Captain America), and quite frankly Robert Downey Jr and Chris Evans can act circles around Ben Affleck and Henry Cavill. We have years and years of evidence showing that. Everything else being equal, that is a HUGE advantage in Marvel's favor.

Cavill and Ben are good actors and affleck will still make a way better batman then bale ever was .

Affleck is, Cavill is... Mediocre.

1. What will do better

Tough call between BvS and Civil War. Everyone wants to see Batman and Superman, but Civil War has the Marvel Logo.

2. What will critics regard more favorably?

Probably not BvS

3. Which one am I most excited to see

Also not BvS (although I like MoS more than most. I think it's a bit early to start a crossover). I'll wait for the promotional material before I make up my mind.

It'll be close but DOJ is gonna take the cake here if I had to guess. Seeing Cap and Iron Man square off will be a big draw for a lot of people, but I think seeing the two biggest superheroes of all time will get more meat in the seats.

Civil War. Just look at Captain America TWS and compare it to MoS; with both creative teams coming back it isn't even a question as to which movie will be received better. I also suspect it will do better with critics than age of Apocalypse.

To early to tell. But I'm leaning towards Civil War since Marvel is doing such a good job with their characters and MoS was a letdown.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back