Dawn of Justice vs Civil War vs Apocalypse

I'm imagining Apocalypse to be like somewhat new and not so much a continuation of DOFP. By the end of DOFP, we pretty much have a thriving school with major changes to the events of possibly X-2 and X: TLS. That being said, younger versions of Cyclops, Jean and Storm, this seems like a new beginning than a continuation.

Civil War will be a continuation of events of TWS and A:AOU.

DofJ while a continuation of MOS, is somewhat of a Empire Strikes Back, a sequel with a different direction.

I'm imagining Apocalypse to be like somewhat new and not so much a continuation of DOFP. By the end of DOFP, we pretty much have a thriving school with major changes to the events of possibly X-2 and X: TLS. That being said, younger versions of Cyclops, Jean and Storm, this seems like a new beginning than a continuation.

I think it will be both, a new beginning and a continuation. But its definitely going to be a continuation of DOFP, thats pretty obvious, the time travelling and messing with history is supposedly what brings about Apocalypse, according to Kinberg anyway. I think after Apoc the likes of Mystique and Magneto wont be villains anymore, but there will be some pretty devastating events leading up to that.

Civil War will be a continuation of events of TWS and A:AOU.

It doesnt seem like, it seems more of an IM4/Cap 3 situation. The inclusion of Iron Man and BP to me means the events of TWS wont really take precedence.

DofJ while a continuation of MOS, is somewhat of a Empire Strikes Back, a sequel with a different direction.

I am looking forward to it, but lets call it what it is, a set-up for JL. I sincerely hope Superman doesnt get the shaft in his own sequel, but judging by the marketing so far Batman is going to be a big factor in the movie.

- Which will be the most successful at the box office?
Batman v Supeman: Dawn of Justice

- Which will critics regard most favorably?
Captain America: Civil War

- Which will be your personal favorite?
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

I think it will be both, a new beginning and a continuation. But its definitely going to be a continuation of DOFP, thats pretty obvious, the time travelling and messing with history is supposedly what brings about Apocalypse, according to Kinberg anyway. I think after Apoc the likes of Mystique and Magneto wont be villains anymore, but there will be some pretty devastating events leading up to that.

It doesnt seem like, it seems more of an IM4/Cap 3 situation. The inclusion of Iron Man and BP to me means the events of TWS wont really take precedence.

I am looking forward to it, but lets call it what it is, a set-up for JL. I sincerely hope Superman doesnt get the shaft in his own sequel, but judging by the marketing so far Batman is going to be a big factor in the movie.

I think he got the shaft once batman joined the film .

Not that Fox/Singer/X-Men franchise has any issues of making movies not in continuity. If the end of DOFP is a new set future, that means Apocalypse will be somewhat of a "prequel" of sorts and the story already happened. Which pretty much means most of the popular X-Men are safe.

And I disagree that Apocalypse is the build up of the entire X-Men franchise. I would say that was DOFP. It brought a type of closure to the series and thankfully got rid of a lot of the awful elements.

Eh, IM3 was more of a sequel to TA than to IM2. The end of TWS, really deals with Shield being ruined, new miracles, and Falcon & Cap off to find Bucky. Shield being ruined is essentially Season 2 and Season 3 of Agents of Shield. New miracles are introduced in Age of Ultron which brings back not only, Hill, Black Widow and Fury. So the only thing outstanding is Bucky. Cap 3 doesn't have take too much of what happened TWS.

I agree with that. WB finally got off it's ass to try and do what the MCU did but can't because they don't want to do 5 movies to introduce everyone.

I do kinda agree with that. As much as Batman is one of my favorite characters, I don't think they need to build him up. So this Superman "sequel" is very interesting take.

Between X-Men Days of Future Past (1973) and X-Men Days of Future Past (2023) pretty much anything can happen provided that Xavier, Wolverine, Jean, Scott, Ororo, Rogue, Bobby, Beast, Colossus and Kitty are at the mansion in 2023. That's the only thing that's set.

Genosha, Starjammers, X-Force, Legacy Virus, Krakoa, as Shi'ar and on and in can occur in the fifty years between those events

I'm not saying the stories aren't going to be interesting. But you know that the X-Men you listed, will probably live through any stories.

It´s funny that threads like this one make me believe people are really more excited for the Marvel stuff than for BvS, but then i look at the Captain boards and see like 2 people reading. Meanwhile, the Batman forum is always packed.

It´s funny that threads like this one make me believe people are really more excited for the Marvel stuff than for BvS, but then i look at the Captain boards and see like 2 people reading. Meanwhile, the Batman forum is always packed.

Because the last Batman movie came out in 2012 and the last Cap movie came out several months ago.

Time builds anticipation. Civil War anticipation will be through the roof when we get close to the release.

Because the last Batman movie came out in 2012 and the last Cap movie came out several months ago.

Time builds anticipation. Civil War anticipation will be through the roof when we get close to the release.

If people were really more excited about Civil War than BvS i doubt one board would have 2 people reading and the other over 100. Doesn´t even seem close, to be honest. And yet, Civil War wins in polls like this. Maybe this is just the minority being louder than the majority, wich happens quite often.

#'s of viewers or posts mean nothing really. It's anecdotal evidence at best. There's an unusually high contingent of Batman fans around here so anything related gets more viewers/posts. Simple as that.

A lot of the people who would be focusing on CW are right now focusing on the stuff that comes before we get there so there's a division of attention. BvS has nothing between now and release to do that so of course it gets most or the attention of the DC fans. That's the difference between making only 1 film every few years and making several films every year.

#'s of viewers or posts mean nothing really. It's anecdotal evidence at best. There's an unusually high contingent of Batman fans around here so anything related gets more viewers/posts. Simple as that.

A lot of the people who would be focusing on CW are right now focusing on the stuff that comes before we get there so there's a division of attention. BvS has nothing between now and release to do that so of course it gets most or the attention of the DC fans. That's the difference between making only 1 film every few years and making several films every year.

But even the stuff that "comes before" doesn´t really seem to be getting much more attention than Civil War. I think BvS alone has more viewers than all the other Marvel movies combined. Quite interesting.

However it works out, the evidence from the past is that it doesn't mean much when it comes to how well a film will ultimately do. TDK has way more posts and activity than TA yet TA was far bigger. It all goes back to that anecdotal evidence idea.

However it works out, the evidence from the past is that it doesn't mean much when it comes to how well a film will ultimately do. TDK has way more posts and activity than TA yet TA was far bigger. It all goes back to that anecdotal evidence idea.

I´m talking about this forum, in particular. This is a discussion between members, not between the GA. Regardless of the results, you can´t really tell me that there are more people here excited about CW than BvS, when one board has over 100 viewers and the other has only 2.

When it comes to the BO, a movie doing better might not have much to do with the interest in the characters being featured or the story being told, but rather the actors and the general tone of the movie. A movie like TA can easily draw a bigger audience than Batman. Not because it has a better story or more popular characters, but because it is a feel good movie with a tone that doesn´t create much controversy. It´s a great familiar movie that anyone can watch. TDK trilogy is heavier, less happy, more plot driven and more violent, wich means some demographics will avoid it.

That means nothing. TDKR boards were twice as active as the Avengers boards leading up to their releases. Yet we all know which one was left in the dust where it mattered. SHH user traffic is hardly a reflection of real hype.

This place is home to more fans of Bats/Supers/Spidey and X-men than the B-listers Marvel has been elevating for the last eight years.

I'll be waving the DC flag at the stands. But I'll be a tad edgy.

Which will be the most successful at the box office?

My guess is maybe Civil War, since it has Iron Man in it. RDJ already IS the character for a lot of people, whereas Affleck is just starting out as Batman.

Which will critics regard most favorably?

Maybe Civil War. Marvel seems more focused with what they're doing story-wise, DC feels like it's making up for lost time.

Which will be your personal favorite?

Hopefully BVS. But I'll have no problem acknowledging otherwise if it comes to it. I like GOTG better than MOS.

That means nothing. TDKR boards were twice as active as the Avengers boards leading up to their releases. Yet we all know which one was left in the dust where it mattered. SHH user traffic is hardly a reflection of real hype.

This place is home to more fans of Bats/Supers/Spidey and X-men than the B-listers Marvel has been elevating for the last eight years.

I´m talking about this place. It doesn´t matter what the box office numbers are. This is a thread about members of this place.

Most successful? This one is debatable. RDJ as Iron Man is immensely popular, and Cap 2 was really well-received. On the other hand, Batman (no matter who is playing him) will always be a draw, and MOS was a hit (even if it wasn't AS big as everyone was hoping) so I think people like Cavill as Superman and the prospect of seeing the World's Finest together will certainly be a huge draw. Plus, they're also introducing Wonder Woman and other heroes. So I guess I'll give the edge to BvS here.

Most popular with critics? Civil War, most likely. Even though I think BvS will have a tighter script than MOS, Zack Snyder will always be polarizing with critics. I wish that wasn't the case; I actually think the guy is a lot better than people give him credit for. But it is what it is. And critics overall have liked what Marvel has put out. So unless Civil War is just awful, I think it will have the higher RT score. I think both films will be "certified fresh" however. I hope so, at least.

My personal favorite? Hopefully it will be BvS. Superman and Batman are my all-time favorites, and I love Cavill as Superman and Amy Adams as Lois Lane. So if I like Batfleck, Wonder Gal and Lexenberg, I think I'll love BvS. I expect to love Civil War as well, just not as much because I've never been as big of a fan of Cap and Iron Man.

Not that Fox/Singer/X-Men franchise has any issues of making movies not in continuity. If the end of DOFP is a new set future, that means Apocalypse will be somewhat of a "prequel" of sorts and the story already happened. Which pretty much means most of the popular X-Men are safe.

And I disagree that Apocalypse is the build up of the entire X-Men franchise. I would say that was DOFP. It brought a type of closure to the series and thankfully got rid of a lot of the awful elements.

Not necessarily, the talk about the timeline eventually righting itself in DOFP was put in there for a reason IMO, really I think they can do what they want with Apoc and explain it away through the timeline being effected in DOFP.

Eh, IM3 was more of a sequel to TA than to IM2. The end of TWS, really deals with Shield being ruined, new miracles, and Falcon & Cap off to find Bucky. Shield being ruined is essentially Season 2 and Season 3 of Agents of Shield. New miracles are introduced in Age of Ultron which brings back not only, Hill, Black Widow and Fury. So the only thing outstanding is Bucky. Cap 3 doesn't have take too much of what happened TWS.

I think more Crossbones, TWS and Sharon Carter are needed in Cap 3, and with extended roles, thats what a lot of people want to see rather than CW with about 15 heroes in it. IMO anyway. I wanted to see more of Cap's story after TWS, I cant really see us getting too much of that with all of these other elements involved, but we will see.

I agree with that. WB finally got off it's ass to try and do what the MCU did but can't because they don't want to do 5 movies to introduce everyone.

I do kinda agree with that. As much as Batman is one of my favorite characters, I don't think they need to build him up. So this Superman "sequel" is very interesting take.

I just with it was a straight Superman sequel myself. I like Batman, but am a much bigger Supes fan, and wanted to see more of his journey before he got involved with others. Oh well, I think BvS will be good anyway, but like CW I am very apprehensive about it.

Not necessarily, the talk about the timeline eventually righting itself in DOFP was put in there for a reason IMO, really I think they can do what they want with Apoc and explain it away through the timeline being effected in DOFP.
Like I said previously, I think they can tell some good stories. But unless they do want to eff with continuity. I think it's safe to say all the X-Men at the end of DOFP that are introduced in Apocalypse are safe.

I think more Crossbones, TWS and Sharon Carter are needed in Cap 3, and with extended roles, thats what a lot of people want to see rather than CW with about 15 heroes in it. IMO anyway. I wanted to see more of Cap's story after TWS, I cant really see us getting too much of that with all of these other elements involved, but we will see.
I think after AOU, we'll see how the Avengers team is fractured. You could see Sharon Carter and TWS on the side of Cap in the next movie. :up:

I just with it was a straight Superman sequel myself. I like Batman, but am a much bigger Supes fan, and wanted to see more of his journey before he got involved with others. Oh well, I think BvS will be good anyway, but like CW I am very apprehensive about it.

Like I said, WB is way behind the curve. They can't spend 5 years trying to build up a Superman vs. Batman meet up.

Sharon carter may not even be In Civil war so far talk is these are in film

Cap
Stark/Iron Man
Black Panther
Winter soldier
Falcon
Crossbones
new villain
Black Widow
Fury
Hawkeye

As for X-Men most of films have been erased after time travel of DOFP.Only limit going forward IS certain characters have to be alive In 2023

They may not even care actors cast as Cyclos,jean,and STorm that you could buy growing up into versions seen at end of DOFP.

Carter might be fit in elsewhere.

I find it strange how some aren't even counting X-Men. Like when listing what will be 1st, 2nd and 3rd of the three options they're only listing 2 of the 3 movies.

Quite a few people have listed Cap3 as what they believe will be the highest critical rating but none seems to be factoring in how in both 2011 and 2014 X-Men rated higher. It's a fair certainty that Cap3 could outrate BvS and both Cap movies have outrated MOS but again X-Men isn't even factored in :huh:

I'm not saying the stories aren't going to be interesting. But you know that the X-Men you listed, will probably live through any stories.

But we know that about others too. We know Cap will live through the upcoming AOUINO as he's set to appear in Civil War. We know even if Thor dies in AOUINO he'll be back for Ragnarok. Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman will survive BvS

All will likely be there for the Inifinity war and Justice League movies

Last edited:
You know what's cool about the way cinema is going right now? (at least in regards to CBMs at the moment)

We are getting several instances of a single sequel to multiple movies:
X-Men 3 + First Class = Days of Future Past
The Winter Soldier + Age of Ultron = Civil War
Iron Man 2 + Avengers = Iron Man 3
etc.

It's interesting to think of it that way rather than as crossovers. I can't think of any other examples of it in cinema history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"