• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Looking Ahead to 2018....

1) Black Panther - Given Coogler's pedigree, I'm a little underwhelmed from what we've seen so far, visually, but he still has my faith.

2) Infinity War - I'm definitely feeling fatigue when it comes to the big MCU team-up films, and the Thanos / Infinity Stone stuff has never done anything for me. Bearded Cap looks awesome though.

3) New Mutants - The horror direction has potential, but the trailer was laughably generic. Plus, Legion has already satiated my appetite to see well-done psychological mutant horror.

4) Deadpool 2 - A lot of Reynolds' humour doesn't land for me. Cable and Domino could be cool though with David Leitch directing the action.

5) Xmen Dark Phoenix - Promo shots look good so far and I'm excited to see more of Sheriden's Cyclops and Jean, but who knows about Kinberg's directing. Trailers with Lawrence, McAvoy, and Fassbender will probably dampen my excitement, as I've had enough of those three in these roles.

6) Antman and the Wasp - Ant-Man doesn't do much for me.

7) Venom - Could be cool. Venom is badass, and we haven't seen him on screen in over a decade. Cast is great too with Hardy, Ahmed, and Williams.

8) Aquaman - A live action Atlantis movie has potential to be something fresh and amazing, and Wan's comments about this being a fun swashbuckling adventure like Star Wars or Raiders still has me hopeful, but JL and the first promo shots have definitely dampened my excitement. I also don't have as much faith in Wan as many do.

9) Marvel's Animated Spider-man - Style looks awesome, but I'm still feeling Spider-Man fatigue.

Honestly I'm not too hyped about any of these, at least when compared to 2016 or 2017's films. I think I might actually be more hyped for the Titans show.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'm pretty excited for all of them! I think Black Panther, New Mutants, Infinity War, Deadpool 2, Ant-Man and The Wasp, Aquaman and Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse will all be well received to varying degrees from good to excellent!

Venom is one of the CBM's I'm most intrigued by due to the cast, director, and various other scoops. It does have the potential to suck, though! Same with Dark Phoenix!

2018 should be a great year for Comic Book Movies!

I've done a complete 180 on Venom. I'm very excited for the film and love the talent they've assembled, despite the red flags behind the scenes.

Fandango Poll for most anticipated movie:

1. Avengers: Infinity War (May 4)

2. Black Panther (Feb. 16)

3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22)

4. Untitled Deadpool sequel (June 1)

5. Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)

6. Incredibles 2 (June 15)

7. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Nov. 16)

8. A Wrinkle in Time (March 9)

9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Nov. 2)

10. Ocean’s 8 (June 8)

Ouch. Aquaman didn't make the list but he did make #2 on the "Most anticipated comic-book character in a standalone movie" list, just behind BP.

Not sure what to make of that. BVS hyped WW for her solo but JL just hasn't done the same for Aquaman. A lot of characters in JL got shafted but Aquaman got relegated to punching bag status throughout. Shame.

Ouch. Aquaman didn't make the list but he did make #2 on the "Most anticipated comic-book character in a standalone movie" list, just behind BP.

Not sure what to make of that. BVS hyped WW for her solo but JL just hasn't done the same for Aquaman. A lot of characters in JL got shafted but Aquaman got relegated to punching bag status throughout. Shame.

I don't think Justice League did anyone any favors. Aquaman is probably lucky he is almost a year away instead of being a summer movie. WB is probably also better off not having a DC movie for the summer.

Hopefully, with the gap that exists between now and December, WB can get their 'house in order' and have the solid ground ready to propel forward with a bit of confidence going into 2019.

Hopefully, with the gap that exists between now and December, WB can get their 'house in order' and have the solid ground ready to propel forward with a bit of confidence going into 2019.

The ATT merger should be decided by then too one way or the other so the new management should be in place by then. Hopefully they keep a comic book guy like Geoff Johns in some management and control capacity
instead of some bean counter just looking to make a quick buck that has no knowledge of the characters.

IW - Possibly the biggest hit of the year or one of them, an epic spectacle in glorious IMAX. People will fall in love with Pom.

DP2 - Funniest film of the year and it will beat the Han solo spinoff and make at least 100m more then the original.

Black Panther - Will make BP a major cinematic star.

Venom - The surprise hit of the year which brings a solid box office of 500m + and praise to Hardy in the role.

I didn't realize that 2018 could be a great year for CBMs.

It will probably be an awful year in general though.

I'm a little confused towards the packed December schedule this year. There's currently no movies slated for the first weekend. Either Mortal Engines or Into the Spider-Verse needs to move up a week to clear up that log jam.

I'm a little confused towards the packed December schedule this year. There's currently no movies slated for the first weekend. Either Mortal Engines or Into the Spider-Verse needs to move up a week to clear up that log jam.

The end of December is always packed.

It's empty because the w/e after Thanksgiving is traditionally a terrible spot. If a film opens the first w/e of December it will most likely lose too many theaters/screens when all the other Christmas films open and will lose the ability to take good advantage of Christmas Holidays after missing out on Thanksgiving Holidays.

Black Panther - I think it'll live up to the hype and be one of the break out hits of the year. I think it'll be this year's equivalent to Wonder Woman basically.

New Mutants- I'm guessing that it'll turn out alright but wont really have too much of an impact outside of the fanbase of the current X-Men franchise.

Infinity War- This winds up being regarded as a better sequel than Age of Ultron was, but the first Avengers film is still seen as superior. Not to mention, I think it is inevitable that there will be some vocal segment for whom it doesn't live up to the hype. Regardless, it is still considered one of the strong entries for the MCU

Deadpool 2- It'll be one of the biggest hits of the year, but I'm expecting it to fall into the common comedy sequel trap of not being quite as good as its predecessor, but a solid follow up none the less.

Dark Phoenix- With Simon Kinberg in the director's chair, I don't have high expectations.

Ant-Man and the Wasp- Largely comparable to the first film as far as quality goes. Based on some of the rumors though, I could see this one being a pleasant surprise to many people.

Venom- Turns out better than expected, but isn't a huge hit at the box office.

Aquaman- I have no clue on this one.

Just going with my gut, perfectly ready to be wrong:

Black Panther - A big hit, somewhat underwritten.

Infinity War - Another Age of Ultron. Good enough, but plenty of issues fans won't let go of.

New Mutants - Good reviews, underperforms. Not enough interest in a horror take on CBMs.

Deadpool 2 - Lots of fun again, "even if not as fresh as the first." Huge money.

X-Men: Dark Phoenix - Really good. A bigger divide sets between fans of Fox's X-Men and folks invested in an MCU reboot.

Antman and the Wasp - Particularly excited for this one based on the comic-booky title alone. Pretty good, hopefully more memorable than the first, very solid box office.

Venom - Underperforms, so-so reviews.

Aquaman - My fave for the year. Another WW, slightly lower box office but good reviews.

Animated Spider-man - Surprisingly great. Sleeper hit.

I'm learning to be a bit skeptical about the mammoth everything-and-the-kitchen-sink team-up films, even if the Infinity War guys have delivered solidly so far. Aquaman's what it's all about for me. The whole idea of a sunny, beach-heavy superhero joint with a king and magic and armies and underwater realms is my jam right now.

Have to say, Infinity War and Deadpool 2 are the only comic book movies I'm excited for this year. Hoping to be pleasantly surprised by some of the others though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheCat
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"