Lucasfilm's developing animated "Star Wars" sitcom.

Paroxysm

Superhero
Reaction score
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118017263.html?categoryid=14&cs=1&ref=verttv

"Let us assure you this isn't going to suck as much as you think it is."

That was Seth Green's message to "Star Wars" fans following Lucasfilm's Monday announcement it is developing an animated "Star Wars" sitcom.

The show is in early development and Green, creative consultant on the project along with fellow Robot Chicken creator/exec producer Matt Senreich, admitted the announcement was made only to quash rampant rumors: "We're trying to get ahead of it and say what it's not."Jennifer Hill, a Daytime Emmy winner for "The Backyardigans" who is producing for Lucasfilm, told Daily Variety the pair "will be shaping the type of comedy we're looking for and the look of the show."

Green promised: "We can't guarantee its excellence, but we're swinging by the fences."

Skein will not be a sketch comedy show like "Robot Chicken," and it's not a spoof. Senreich said it will be a story comedy and "character driven." It may include crossover appearances from the movie characters. But Hill said no crossovers with the hit "Star Wars: The Clone Wars" series are planned.

This is very strange but very interesting all at the same time. I'll be looking forward to this either way. :woot:

If it's something similar to Robot Chicken, I'm all for it.

I could see a Cheers like Mos Eisley cantina working well

double post

Last edited:
Seth Green and the ex-Wizard guys will not allow this program descend into suckiness. And I have a feeling Lucas will give them freer reign and more input than they would get with a stupid network executive.

I think it will work. There might be the occasional, very indirect, self-referential joke here and there (characters openly musing about the poor marksmanship of Stormtroopers, what the hell "spice" is, or how English-speaking humans can faultlessly understand Jawas and Wookies) but there's a lot of broad comedy to be had here.

Along the lines of an incompetent smuggler's get-rich-quick schemes that go inevitably wrong every episode, an smug Imperial commander who's not half as smart or half as menacing as he thinks he is (something like Grand Moff Gob Bluth) and a deadpan 'droid who can lazily see through everyone's BS and delivers the punchlines, I can see a lot of potential there.

But please, NO LAUGH TRACK.

Seth Green and the ex-Wizard guys will not allow this program descend into suckiness. And I have a feeling Lucas will give them freer reign and more input than they would get with a stupid network executive.

I think it will work. There might be the occasional, very indirect, self-referential joke here and there (characters openly musing about the poor marksmanship of Stormtroopers, what the hell "spice" is, or how English-speaking humans can faultlessly understand Jawas and Wookies) but there's a lot of broad comedy to be had here.

Along the lines of an incompetent smuggler's get-rich-quick schemes that go inevitably wrong every episode, an smug Imperial commander who's not half as smart or half as menacing as he thinks he is (something like Grand Moff Gob Bluth) and a deadpan 'droid who can lazily see through everyone's BS and delivers the punchlines, I can see a lot of potential there.

But please, NO LAUGH TRACK.

I'm pretty sure that CBS is the only network left that would ever use a laughtrack.

This is going to be a tricky show to make, I imagine. On one hand, you don't want to become to broad a comedy, or you end with with Tripping the Rift or, god forbid, Homeboys in Outer Space.

At the same time, you need to be as good or better than Futurama, without becoming just a different version of Futurama. I'll be very interested to see how this turns out.

They can make an "Odd Couple" kind of sitcom with Han and Chewie imo.

Seth Green on his new Star Wars series: "We won't f—- it up."

Seth Green and Matthew Senreich are hard at work on the third Robot Chicken Star Wars special, plus a whole new Star Wars series! They told us what to expect, including a joke that overlaps with Family Guy's third special.

We caught up to Green and Senreich last week, and they talked up the third Robot Chicken Star Wars special — it's going to have more of a continuing story thread than the first two did. "It'll be sketches all over the canon, but there will be a more linear canon... actually from before the first prequel to Return Of The Jedi," says Green.

I asked them whether they come up with Star Wars jokes and then have to wrestle over whether they belong in the Robot Chicken special, or in the new series. Green says it's more on the level of whether some jokes are appropriate for this special. "Some jokes you just don't want to make. Or some jokes just aren't funny."

Adds Senreich, "For us, we're now doing our third Star Wars special. So it's one of these things where these characters have developed their own personalities, and that has become a life of its own as far as making new jokes."

Senreich says he's watched the original Star Wars movies hundreds or thousands of times at this point. "I'm the guy who'll be like, 'Did you hear that? They shut down the main reactor!'" says Senreich. But Green hasn't watched them that many times — the one he's watched the most is Empire Strikes Back, which he's seen ten times.

io9 talks to Robot Chicken creators.

[YT]uGH7Y2a8LDY[/YT]

So at first, Green and Senreich were barely willing to admit their fabled new Star Wars series even existed. Then Green broke down and told us, "It's probably like two years, legitimately, before anybody will have anything real to say about that. It's so early, but it is going to be awesome. I promise, we're not to **** it up. We take it really seriously. We won't abuse [your] trust."

We were wondering if the Robot Chicken and Family Guy people had some rivalry over their different Star Wars specials, but in fact Green and Family Guy creator Seth MacFarlane have appeared in each other's specials. Green describes their relationship as "playfully collaborative" and Senreich says they have "a bond."

And in fact, Green says the same joke appears in both the Family Guy Return Of The Jedi special and the third Robot Chicken Star Wars special. Says Green,

I recorded with MacFarlane the other day. And we were both talking about a gag we both have. Usually we'll call each other on this, like a gag that we both have in the Star Wars [specials] so we don't duplicate. But we both have the same gag in the third Jedi and in our third one. And we talked about it, like, "Maybe we should..." And we were both like, "You know, **** it." It's funny in both directions. It's like it's a different joke... or it's the same joke told in a different way.

Now we'll have to keep our eyes open to see what joke he's talking about.

[YT]zt8-ApGTNxY[/YT]
http://io9.com/5602598/seth-green-on-his-new-star-wars-series-we-wont-f+++-it-up

I can't wait to see what kinds of jokes they come up with. :hehe:

Seth Green's only seen Empire Strikes Back ten times? Geez, even I've seen it more times than that, and I'm not all that big of a Star Wars fan.

Seth Green's only seen Empire Strikes Back ten times? Geez, even I've seen it more times than that, and I'm not all that big of a Star Wars fan.

They're not counting the times he's re-enacted the movie, shot by shot, using his action figures (at 3 am in the morning, while wearing nothing but a bottomless Yoda underoos ensemble and a ballgag in his mouth).

I'm really looking forward to Robot Chicken 3, i cant wait to see what they come up with. Interesting what he says about the new animated series. Indeed, i hope for his sake he doesnt f***ck it up, fanboys will crucify him if he does :hehe:

Will Seth Green's new Star Wars show feature Yoda doing stand-up comedy?

Robot Chicken's Seth Green and Matt Senreich have been tight-lipped about their new Star Wars series, but over the weekend they finally opened up and shared some details. Are you ready for Jon Stewart crossed with Spongebob Squarepants?

Talking to Big Shiny Robot at the premiere party for Star Wars: The Clone Wars season three, Green and Senreich explained that:

• They're going to make the entire first season of this show and then shop it around to a network, much the same as what Lucasfilm did with the Clone Wars series.
  • The show is a "surreal experience" and "a short form comedy," and it's "the funniest thing since Lucille Ball." It's also "Jon Stewart on steroids mixed with David Chapelle."
  • George Lucas had compared it to Spongebob Squarepants, and they hinted that it might be like Spongebob, in the way that stoned college students appreciate him.
  • The show will be computer-generated animation, but it'll be "unlike any established Star Wars you've ever seen."
  • The interviewer asked if Yoda will be on the show, and both Green and Senreich froze and then made a big deal of not revealing anything.
So I'm going to take a wild guess and say Yoda may well be in this series, since otherwise they'd just have said no. Are we ready for a sitcom crossed with a funny talk show, featuring Yoda? I know I am.

This sounds like a fun project and I'm looking forward to see what they will do with the Star Wars universe in a form of a comedy.

I love Robot Chicken: Star Wars so the same guys doing a full show I will watch

I look forward to this.I love the robot Chicken Star Wars specials

I wonder what it will be called:

"I Love Leia"
"That's My Wookiee!"
"How I Force-Choked Your Mother"
"Mon Mothma and Me"
"Two Guys, a Girl and a Cantina"

Well its not greatest but its got something for everyone.

So Adult Swim, Cartoon Network?

haha ok...I thought this was a stupid idea...but this actually looks freaking hilarious. Can't wait :)

Those were awful. It's like Space Balls meets 2 of the 6 writers of Scary Movie. It's like Family Guy without the charm...or what little is left. It's like Robot Chicken without the intelligent humor. This looks like something for 6 year olds.

It's getting harder and harder to defend Star Wars. Words can't describe how awful this looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"