Maleficent

Review: In a age where film studios desire to make blockbusters based off of fairy tales, there has not been one single successful, or even close successful attempt at this. Disney’s Maleficent is on the right track with this formula, as it is no where near perfect, but for the first time, is a watchable fairy tale blockbuster. Perfectly casted as the title character, Angeline Jolie is without a doubt, what makes this movie so enjoyable, as she was born to play Maleficent. The story in the movie itself is nothing outstanding, but for the first time, this fairy tale blockbuster had the characters make the story, rather than the story make the characters, which in any case is always refreshing. Seeing Maleficent grow is interesting, as this is definitely another side to the story of Sleeping Beauty, and it expresses the corruption hidden in what seems to be a “good and noble” kingdom. The effects were great, and all the forest scenes were beautiful, and seeing this makes anyone want Jolie back on the big screen, as she brings magic to Maleficent.

3/5

Just saw it and it was ok. The storyline lacked substance and they spent so much time trying to build Mal that everyone else suffered. Angelina was PERFECT for the role and she looked great but I wish they gave her meatier material. They didn't really need to deviate so far from the animated film as far as characterization went for everyone.

Having Mal curse Aurora only for her to watch over her and be her savior was just to much for me. I wish that she spent more time as the "bad" guy then just 5mins of the film.

Don't you mean Bed, Bath, and Beyond?

Well first it was Home Depot. Look for some wallpaper. Maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

I really wish this movie was better!

Angelina is getting nearly universal praise for her performance, and she definitely should. Her performance and some of the visuals save the movie. However, there are a lot of things that drag this movie down. It was rushed and clumsy, and the story being narrated didn't help that. There was a lot of telling instead of showing, so the movie just felt lazy. The character designs of some of the creatures looked really bad. Maleficent's servant was confusing and underdeveloped, and I guess we were just supposed to accept that Maleficent had a slave, even after she becomes the hero again. The movie also hits you hard over the head with its themes. Like when Aurora wakes up and the servant tells the audience that it "was true love's kiss." Well DUH, please stop insulting my intelligence. The three fairies were campy slapstick and absolutely painful to watch.

Some of the revision worked really well, but at times Maleficent was almost completely unrecognizable from the original character. Bringing in feminist themes was nice, but like I said earlier: the movie was not subtle or graceful in its handling of its themes. Honestly, Alice in Wonderland had similar problems and I'm baffled why that screen writer keeps getting work, and keeps making hits! I felt like I was watching two different movies: one for adults and one for children. And they don't mesh well.

C+

The fact that they made everyone who wasnt Maleficent 1 dimensional was just lazy writing. When the animated movie is darker than the live action I have to throw some side eye.

Mal should've started out "innocent" in the beginning, descended into darkness in the middle, and redeemed herself in the end after Aurora is awakened by Prince Phillip. They should've come up with a force that came for the kingdom for some reason.

I really really liked this movie. Is it perfect? No. But if you just think of it as a fun fairytale it is much easier to enjoy it. The film itself is beautiful, the costumes are amazing. The middle suffered a bit, watching Maleficent watch over Aurora for 20 mins gets a bit boring. It would've been nice to see her doing more evil, bc let's be honest, when she is bad is when the movie is at its best. But overall I thought it was a lot of fun and Angelina was perfect.

Villains have always been more interesting than the hero in films and T.V.Sure we root for the hero because we
want the villain brought to justice because of the horrible and wicked things he/she has done,but oh the fun
we have watching the villain.In Maleficent Angelina Jolie in a role she was born to play not only plays the part to
a T but she looks like she has a great time doing it.Sharlto Copley does well as a king haunted and driven to madness
by his own actions.The SFX are terrific and the action sequences are put together well.

I did find some of the film far to sweet and neat,i guess i was hoping for a darker edge in some places,and some characters were completely unecessary.
It's been some time since i have seen Jolie on the big screen and i had forgotten how good she is,she truly rules this film.

Maleficent is definitely one of the better fairy tale adaptations with alterations to hit the big screen as of late.

Scale of 1-10 an 8

They really should've given Aurora her classic dress in this film.

Some of the revision worked really well, but at times Maleficent was almost completely unrecognizable from the original character. Bringing in feminist themes was nice, but like I said earlier: the movie was not subtle or graceful in its handling of its themes. Honestly, Alice in Wonderland had similar problems and I'm baffled why that screen writer keeps getting work, and keeps making hits!

She's had tenure at Disney, not just with writing Alice in Wonderland and Maleficent, but she co-wrote Homeward Bound, The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and had a hand in Mulan.

Disney keeps her on for her street cred with her animated works. I think Woolverton does better with animated movies, she nails the heart of the story without losing focus.

Just saw it and it was ok. The storyline lacked substance and they spent so much time trying to build Mal that everyone else suffered. Angelina was PERFECT for the role and she looked great but I wish they gave her meatier material. They didn't really need to deviate so far from the animated film as far as characterization went for everyone.

Having Mal curse Aurora only for her to watch over her and be her savior was just to much for me. I wish that she spent more time as the "bad" guy then just 5mins of the film.

Yeah, I kind of agree. I get the idea behind what they wanted to do, but I didn't really care much for them basically just rewriting her from a villain to a hero.

I think they had a similar idea in mind, but Wicked really doesn't de-villianize The Wicked Witch from Oz. It fleshes her out, it makes us understand why she went the path she did, but she's still a villain to Dorothy when everything is said and done. At least, with the first Wicked; I never read the follow ups.

Here, Maleficent still does some things you'd call villainous, but it totally rewrote the character from Sleeping Beauty.

I figured they were going to have the climax be the actual ending of Sleeping Beauty and have us just see what happened between the cursing and the finale with her getting killed by Phillip and the real reason she imprisoned Aurora.

http://otlnews.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/maleficent-review/

I thought the movie was pretty good overall but a few flaws kept it from being something more. Tonal inconsistency mucked up the overarching themes in my opinion and I didn't like Copley in this. Every character he plays turns into either a psycho or someone neurotic. Had Stephan been played by someone with more range I think he would have emerged as a more interesting villain. That being said I still graded it quite high. Lots of elements I like, just disappointed it wasn't something greater.

Check out my review above if your interested :D

http://otlnews.wordpress.com/2014/06/02/maleficent-review/

I thought the movie was pretty good overall but a few flaws kept it from being something more. Tonal inconsistency mucked up the overarching themes in my opinion and I didn't like Copley in this. Every character he plays turns into either a psycho or someone neurotic. Had Stephan been played by someone with more range I think he would have emerged as a more interesting villain. That being said I still graded it quite high. Lots of elements I like, just disappointed it wasn't something greater.

Check out my review above if your interested :D

Copley was terrible in this. Every time he was on screen and spoke I wanted to laugh, he took me out of the movie every time he appeared.

I'll probably check it out this weekend. I was going to skip it, but it does seem to be getting favorable viewer feedback, I'll give it a try.

I enjoyed it, I thought Angelina Jolie was brilliant as Maleficent and it captured the classic fairytale feel beautifully. Elle Fanning did a good job as the Princess and I liked her relationship with Maleficent at the heart of the film, while Maleficent and Diaval's dynamic provided some light humour along with the little fairies.

Visually I thought the movie was stunning, the way Maleficent's powers are depicted has a real graceful quality and the effects are great, I especially loved the way she flew and the battle at the beginning was very well done, the giant tree warriors were impressive.

I truly don't know how much it messes with animated film but overall I really liked this take on a character brought so vividly to life.

7.5/10

This is exactly how I felt. Angelina is great but the plot is paper thin. She just wasn't really "evil" beyond the christening scene. I was hoping the king would see the error of the ways, but he just became one note.

The fairies were by the far the weakest part of the movie. I don't think anyone really laughed at their "jokes".

I got dragged to this via my friend, and it was meh. The first two acts dragged, and the third was rushed. It felt like Aurora was asleep for like an hour before waking up lol. Prince Charming felt rushed, and couldn't act to save his life. I feel like the director put an ad in the paper that said "good looking teenager wanted for movie, acting skills need not apply." However, the good:

The CGI was phenomenal. I'd probably buy the bluray for the visuals alone lol. Except the Faeries...but I think that was intentional. Every shot of them was poor.
Jolie rocked the block in this, for sure.
James Newton Howard's score was absolute class. :up:

Probably give it like, 5-ish to 6 out of 10.

Just my two cents about Maleficent.

I must say that I wasn’t really looking forward to see this movie. As put in the trailers, the concept of giving the villain of the piece the spotlight seemed like an appealing way to revisit this tale (even though is not a new concept). However what the film delivered was far from “the villain point of view”.

It certainly didn’t help that, being based on the original “Sleeping Beauty” Disney film, you set a couple of expectations regarding Maleficent and the world she inhabits. I thought that I was going to see beginnings of this evil character, her motivations and since the trailer gave the hints, the peculiar relationship with Princess Aurora. According to the original film as far as I remember, Maleficent was an evil being. So evil in fact that she sentences the newly born princess to death, giving her a time limit for her life and look for everyone surrounding her to suffer because of the inevitability of her demise. We get a version of that.

I think the problem here is that Maleficent is not actually that evil. In fact is quite the contrary. We get to see the oddly named Maleficent as a child fairy in the forest, living a happy life and being kind with the funny creatures that inhabit that place. The turn of events in which she becomes her traditional self is not as interesting as it seems. She becomes involved with a human, Stefan, and they become friends. Later, they become more than that. Ultimately, Stefan is consumed by greed and betrays Maleficent, playing with her feelings and cutting her wings to prove himself worthy of being king of the human’s kingdom.

The scene in which she realizes she lost her wings is very powerful and heartbreaking. We come to the realization that her wings are more than a part of herself. Her wings gives her freedom and joy, they make her happy and complete. Now she is bound to walk the Earth with a cane.

I think the film could have handled that aspect a little better, because it seems unnecessary that Maleficent had to be betrayed by her former lover to finally coming full circle with her expected rise as a villain. It seems a little cliché, and forced a grudge between the King Stefan and Maleficent not present in the original story. Now the evil spell cast upon Aurora is not out of sheer evil and malice, but of revenge. I’m think that the “wings” motif in the film is far more powerful than the spite for realizing that Stefan didn’t really love her.

Heartbroken and wingless, Maleficent is consumed with hate and vengeance, and declares herself the Queen of the forest. She saves a crow named Diaval by turning him into a human. In return he swears to serve her. Maleficent constantly shape shift him from man to bird or other animals as she deems necessary.

When baby Aurora is born, we get a spin on the spell. It isn’t the three fairies that save Aurora. In fact the fairies are shown as a trio of incompetent wrecks, even with their good intentions. It is Maleficent who makes the loophole in the spell. She will fall in a mortal sleep by pricking her finger on the spindle of a spinning wheel when she reaches 16 years old, only to be awaken by a kiss of true love.

We learn later that Maleficent believes there is no such thing, because when she was younger, Stefan said one time that a kiss he gave her was of true love, and he didn’t love her. And as far as Maleficent is concerned Aurora will sleep forever.

Now, Stefan does not care for the welfare of his child. He is more upset by the humiliation that Maleficent made of him at the presentation of Aurora. He sends his daughter to the care of the three fairies, far away from the kingdom, whom he doesn’t respect either, sent to destroy all spinning wheels of the kingdom and declares war on the forest. He believes once the time of the spell passes, Maleficent will come after him.
He comes across as a very coward, greedy and paranoid person. As the villain of the piece, he is not very compelling, and Aurora may be his daughter but he is not father of hers. More to the point, his wife doesn’t object the decision of leaving her daughter to the care of the clumsy fairies, she doesn’t do anything relevant in fact, and dies off-screen years later.

And the fairies, which I believe are the comic relief, are just insufferable. They add nothing to the story whereas in the original tale are essential. They are the ones that put the “kiss of true love” clause to Maleficent spell, and are the ones that aid Prince Phillip to defeat Maleficent in the end (but this story goes in another direction) They are not even the godmothers of Aurora anymore, she calls them aunts.

The spin is, the godmother’s role goes to Maleficent, who for some reason looks out for her in the meantime the time of the spell goes by. I believe is just to ensure that Aurora reaches 16 to enact his revenge. But she grows fond of her, and aids her, later she takes care of Aurora. Realizing her attachment to the kid, Maleficent tries to undo her own spell to no avail.

The thing that bothers me is that, Maleficent fondness for Aurora is because of her own spell. On the presentation of Aurora she says that “everyone who treats her will love her” or something like that. If that’s true, in a way, Maleficent love for Aurora is kind of artificial. Then again, later when she gets reunited with his father, he still doesn’t love her, so maybe the film is inconsistent with this, or I’m looking too much into it. Perhaps they need to be close to her for this to work out, I don’t know.
The role of the fairies in the upbringing of Aurora is diminished to the ground, in order to give Maleficent a greater role. Maleficent, being declared by Aurora as her own godmother, is for all intents and purposes is Aurora’s mother.

So now we have a totally different story than rise to villainy, I’m not sure that’s a good thing either.

We get a clumsy Prince Philip, who encounters Aurora just one time and befriends her. Nothing more comes from this, and later in the film is proven that Prince Phillip has no place in the film other than serving a counterpoint to the films “kiss of true love”. When Aurora learns the truth about “the evil of the world”, she flees to the castle and then the spell is realized. Maleficent can’t do anything about it, neither the fairies nor Prince Phillip (his kiss, at the request of the fairies, isn’t one of true love). When all hope is lost, a heartbroken Maleficent places an innocent kiss on the forehead of Aurora, and she awakens her from her sleep.

And then comes the obligatory battle between the knights of the king and Maleficent. She doesn’t get to transform into a huge dragon, and in this story, Maleficent being transformed has no place either because that would mean that she could give herself new wings at her will. Instead, it is her crow that is transformed into the dragon. Aurora finds Maleficent wings which (we learn at last minute), have some sort of conscience and want to be reunited with their owner. Maleficent is fused again with her wings, gains the upper hand in battle and confronts King Stefan, she spares his life and at the end dies because of his own hand.

Aurora is declared the queen and goes to live on the forest, Maleficent relinquishes her throne and regains the role of guardian of the forest. And the story ends with the narrator revealing that she is in fact Aurora, and that she has been given the moniker of “Sleeping Beauty” even if she only was a sleep a couple of hours.

I believed (for some reason), we were going to get the story of Maleficent from her point of view. Her fall as a villain and her ultimately demise. The story is completely different and I can accept that, even then, that story presents problems by itself.

Why require the cliché that the villain turns to evil because an unrequited love and betrayal?. As I said before, the motif of the wings is far more powerful. Think of this: The Kingdom of humans wants the treasures of the forest, so the King makes a façade of truce between his people his neighbors, but in the end they are betrayed, Maleficent loses her wings and also the trust for any other human. Perhaps with some tweaking this could have worked. Without the romantic subplot, the notion of true love being false to Maleficent is lost too, so the fairies could had a more competent role in diminishing Maleficent curse as in the original tale. Then you could have Maleficent stalking young Aurora and eventually growing fond of her, without any magic aid. That way, the film keeps flowing and you keep the plot twist of the kiss.

More so, Maleficent isn’t truly evil more than just very flawed and hurt. Not in itself a bad thing, but the film was sold as such, so there were some expectations. She doesn’t do anything outright evil. Even when becoming the Queen of the forest, we don’t get to see any mistreating from her to the creatures. Just an ominous dark tone that symbolized nothing, at least as those creatures were concerned. The spell for Aurora is diminished too by Maleficent, she is sent by her to sleep forever, not to die.

Ultimately, she is made to be seen sympathetic, perhaps necessary since she is the star of the piece. Would have been better to see her downfall without redemption, ala Breaking Bad? Not for the target audience. But perhaps we could have gotten something a little more poignant. What if Maleficent assumed his evil role in order to lure Prince Phillip into rescuing her, and realizing that she had to die in order for Aurora to be free? I’m thinking too much of this.

The true villain of the piece, King Stefan, is not very compelling. Perhaps is the actors fault, but there is nothing truly scary from him. And being that Maleficent is now on the protagonist place, the villain being a real threat was a necessity. We know that Maleficent can defeat him whenever she wants, the only defense is Maleficent’s weakness: iron. He didn’t care for his daughter as much as his own welfare, what if he used her to gain the upper hand? He comes as a bland character, with no gravitas and no sense of real danger.

The only supporting character worthwhile is Diaval, Maleficent crow. Serving as some sort of Jiminy Cricket was a relief for a film that lacked interesting characters. He brought warmth and soul that was required in order to help in Maleficent growth.

Aurora itself characterized in a very simple way, but the air of innocence that she displayed was sweet. But there was no major drama for her, it would have been nice to see some character development from her instead of a one note characterization.

The thematic elements of the film are in place. But some are not developed in a satisfactory way. Here comes again the motif of the wings. I think that it was never clearly stated that Maleficent could regain her wings, also perhaps she didn’t know either. But the scene where she loses them is so heartbreaking that made me believe that she lost them for good. Wings that represented her happiness are long gone, and she descends to a dark path.

Enter Aurora. She becomes the thing that fulfills that happiness in Maleficent. In the end they made literal that Aurora gives Maleficent back her wings. But what if Aurora was, in a metaphorical level, Maleficent wings. She didn’t need the wings anymore, and the film could have used another excuse to gain the upper hand in the final battle. What if the turn of events made Maleficent accept that perhaps she wouldn’t fly ever again, but be happy tutoring Aurora as her godmother. It would have been a bittersweet poignant note to end a film of a redeemed villain. Regaining her wings literally and triumphantly was unnecessary, and a little contrived.

Also, we get voiceless kingdoms of humans and magical creatures. Even worse, in the end the human kingdom is forgotten. While the barrier has been taken down, we don’t see any people on Aurora’s coronation ceremony, the inclusion of Prince Phillip notwithstanding (he wasn’t even from that human kingdom). At the beginning we are told that these two kingdoms are separated, if not by a physical barrier a cultural of sorts. And we are told the resolution, but we don’t actually see it. The greedy human kingdom is not redeemed, and the magical immaculate forest place is never put to a test, not event to give the humans the lesson of humbling they need.

Angelina Jolie steals the show with Maleficent, it is her talent that drives the film and with a good reason. In comparison, most of the characters fall flat.

At the end we get a regular film with potential for much improvement. I just hope this doesn’t become a trend. “Cruella de Vil had a puppy pet that she loved with her life…”

Last edited:
I thought it was ok. Jolie is amazing and so is Elle. Aurora is not an easy role to portray I think without becoming whingy or waifish or sexist.

The king was a real bore. I have no idea what his deal was. The action was cool and the cinematography.

I still wouldn't mind seeing an Ursula origin story

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"