Iron Man 2 Mandarin's rings: A solution?

protocida

Avenger
Reaction score
I have seen several discussions about how could Jon Favreau and his crew would handle Mandarim power rings without getting too far away of the realist background given to the franchise. After several ideais, i came to one that i think it could work:

Mandarim's rings would actually be advaced devides based on Tony Stark's repulser rays technology. Those devides give the Mandarim certain habilities, and enhanced his natural skills. Basicly, they're not rings per se, but devices who'se form resembles a ring. And they would't be used like regular rings, but enxerted in Mandarim's spine, like they are in the actual comic books.

With those devides, he would have enhanced intelligence, force, speed, stamina, agility, and would have the hability to throw repulser rays from his hands. (I'm not sure about the last one).

What do you think?

I think that is what was discussed when we were talking how mandarin would be portrayed in a film a while back.

Who is this Mandarim character? Any relation to the Mandarin?

And what are these devides? They sound neat because they give habilities - whatever that is.

I think they should go ahead and make them magic rings or of alien origin (which is what they are) cuz it's a comic book movie, and trying to make every damn thing realistic is stupid.

I think they should go ahead and make them magic rings or of alien origin (which is what they are) cuz it's a comic book movie, and trying to make every damn thing realistic is stupid.
Agreed.

They plan to tie Thor into this universe for an Avenger movie; I see no reason to hold back with Mandarin.

The fact that few people really care why Superman can fly unassisted in his movies shows that the public is largely forgiving about this sort of thing.

As long as the effects of the rings on the surrounding environment are accurately shown, everything will be fine.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=45704
http://blogs.coventrytelegraph.net/thegeekfiles/2008/09/director-jon-favreau-reveals-i.html
http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=7133

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Iron+Man+Jon+Favreau+Mandarin+realistic+sequel&aq=f&oq=
no alien or magic ring things for Mandarin just realistic high tech

Who is this Mandarim character? Any relation to the Mandarin?

And what are these devides? They sound neat because they give habilities - whatever that is.

Oh, you're almost funny.

okjerclap.gif

The key to the rings is to not over-think them. He's The Mandarin, not The Ringguy.

You can focus on his scientific brilliance.

You can focus on his inhuman kung fu skills.

You can focus on his brutal plans.

You can focus on his connection to Genghis Khan.

There are plenty of things to focus on other than the rings. Just treat his rings in the kind of glossed over way they treated Stark's energy-source. Technically, Stark created a solution to the world's energy problems, something far more stupendous and unbelievable than the suit itself. Yet that is never an issue in the movie. They just gloss over the implications of that sort of thing. Same thing should go for the rings.

Or to use another example: the Force in Star Wars. No one had a problem suspending disbelief about the Force despite it never really being explained. In fact, when they came up with the Midiclorian explanation, they made it harder to suspend disbelief about. They were much better off just glossing over that sort of thing.

If by "gloss-over" you still mean touch on it, but don't over-do it... I agree. It is just that I have heard some suggestions to just have it and not even worry about it (i.e. the rings powers). I think something should be said (like Ben Kenobi's brief explanation that the force is an energy field produced by all living things... it flows all around us, it penetrates us, it binds the universe together).

Something as simple and tidy as that would be in order.

I think that rather than using Mandarin in his comics incarnation - who to me has always seemed like an odd fit for Iron Man's world - they evolve the concept of the Mandarin. I liked the 10 Rings organisation which we got a peek of in Iron Man. The creepy bald terrorist had a ring. Stane had a ring. Rourke's Russian arms dealer in the sequel could have a ring.

Perhaps rather than one arch-villain, the Mandarin's presence is divided into a group of 10 incredibly powerful antagonists, each spread around the world. Though you could have the most powerful of all the 10 Rings be the Mandarin, and have him be based in China. Just phase out some of the more overtly mystical elements of the character.

Its not bad... I had thought of that, in the scene where they have Raza ("The creepy bald terrorist") fiddling with his ring. So it would be that these gusy have created an underground network of arms and technology providers, foot soldiers, masterminds, strategists, etc... Of course, seeing as how there is no honor among thieves, they are also trying to stay a step ahead of the each other (i.e. Stane betraying Raza after he saw the IM design).

I have to say, I still prefer the Mandarin somewhere close to his true self, but I can see some kind of intriguing concept along the lines of what you touched on.

I think they should be like Captain Planet rings: earth, fire, wind, water, heart lol. But honestly I think they're working a Mandarin angle with the whole ten rings terrorist group thing so no doubt we'll see more cells of the terrorist group in Ironman 2. I like keyser's idea that the leader of terrorist group is the mandarin. I hope he has powers though.

I think that rather than using Mandarin in his comics incarnation - who to me has always seemed like an odd fit for Iron Man's world - they evolve the concept of the Mandarin. I liked the 10 Rings organisation which we got a peek of in Iron Man. The creepy bald terrorist had a ring. Stane had a ring. Rourke's Russian arms dealer in the sequel could have a ring.

Perhaps rather than one arch-villain, the Mandarin's presence is divided into a group of 10 incredibly powerful antagonists, each spread around the world. Though you could have the most powerful of all the 10 Rings be the Mandarin, and have him be based in China. Just phase out some of the more overtly mystical elements of the character.

Well that's just a way of saying don't use him at all. If you are going to completely gut the character, why even use the name? I hate it when Hollywood completely guts a character, like they did with Dr Doom in the Fantastic Four movie.

^ Overall, I agree... It is an interesting idea to have a network of people, linked via a special club of ring-bearers... but the Mandarin can't be sacrificed to pursueand interesting idea.

So, in the end, I hope that the Mandarin is the fully powered megalomaniac that we have all come to know and love. The 10 Rings group in the Middle east is a nice addition to a plot that suggests that there are other "cells" operating in other regions of the world (working to break down the current global power structure, world-wide). Stane and Hammer could have been recruited to help arm and equip terrorist / insurrgent / subversive forces all over the planet.

hopefully it will be something violent and impressive..

How about this idea guys. OK, there is the mention of this 10rings underground organization of terrorists, weapons dealers , and mercenaries, under the control of this powerful business man, spread all around the world. The leaders of each cell wearing a ring. They meet once a year in secret to report to the Mandarin or whatever. Kind of like the vampires in Blade. Unbeknownst to the leaders and only known to the Mandarin, the rings are alien or magical in nature. Worn seperately they are useless but worn together and with the addition of a final component, become weaponized. Whatever this missing thing is, is what the Mandarin is after and is using his organization for.

I would prefer that powering up the rings NOT be a major plot-point. That makes The Mandarin too much The Ringguy, and he shouldn't be The Ringguy.

The Mandarin is the hier of Ghenghis Khan.

The Mandarin is a superhumanly skilled kung fu grandmaster.

The Mandarin is a brilliant and brutal world conquerer.

The rings should be the cherry on top when it comes to The Mandarin, and making him him all about the rings diminishes him. He should wear the rings, the rings shouldn't wear him, and making him powering up the rings into a major plot-point makes the rings wear him; makes him a schmoe with the rings as the real star.

The rings should be dealt with very simply and quickly. He found them, they can do some cool things, but they are only a tiny fraction of what makes him dangerous and should be dealt with in a fairly perfunctory way.

The key to the rings is to not over-think them. He's The Mandarin, not The Ringguy.

You can focus on his scientific brilliance.

You can focus on his inhuman kung fu skills.

You can focus on his brutal plans.

You can focus on his connection to Genghis Khan.

There are plenty of things to focus on other than the rings. Just treat his rings in the kind of glossed over way they treated Stark's energy-source. Technically, Stark created a solution to the world's energy problems, something far more stupendous and unbelievable than the suit itself. Yet that is never an issue in the movie. They just gloss over the implications of that sort of thing. Same thing should go for the rings.

Or to use another example: the Force in Star Wars. No one had a problem suspending disbelief about the Force despite it never really being explained. In fact, when they came up with the Midiclorian explanation, they made it harder to suspend disbelief about. They were much better off just glossing over that sort of thing.

you sir, are a smart man

Oh I agree about emphasizing all of the Mandarins other qualities (lineage, fighting skills, wealth, and overall brilliance) as well, but this thread is about explaining the rings. I was just coming up with a way to incorporate some of what has already been established in the first film (ie. rings worn by some people, the name of the faction "10rings").

Not a bad idea, IMO. There are other things to focus on as well though. Balancing how much we see of both, how he got the rings, him using them, and his fighting skills, then that would be great.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"