Marvel Studios has started a writers' program

Chewy

REDACTED
Reaction score
Marvel Studios has started a writers program. The goal is to put more than half a dozen film writers on staff, give them an office, and "work them like horses!" one of my sources says. I've confirmed this smart move. (Makes you realize how backwards Warner Bros is by comparison on their DC Comics film development.) *UPDATE: Marvel comic book writers are not excluded from applying.* One source tells me the terms of the program "are apparently more onerous than the terms of the Disney Writers Program. Before the writers are even allowed to come in and meet, they must sign a non-disclosure agreement and a 70-page, non-negotiable contract. Among other things, the contract gives Marvel ownership over everything the writers create during the one year term of [the] deal, plus a first look and last refusal to any and all projects the writers have previously written or will write for 24 months in the future." Egads! Unfortunately, with Hollywood feature development at a near standstill, I suspect Marvel could have its pick of film writers in exchange for $5 and a hot lunch.

SOURCE

Variety is confirming this. I find the list of characters mentioned (Black Panther, Cable, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Nighthawk, Vision) very interesting.

And Zak Penn is still working on Avengers :( Hopefully either that's a mistake on Variety's part or he's still "technically" on the project, and he'll be replaced as the movie starts pre-production

HOLLYWOOD -- With more than 5,000 crime fighters and villains in its library, Marvel Entertainment is looking for some help in adapting those characters into films.

Comicbook giant is readying to assemble a group of scribes who will pen scripts for various properties Marvel wants to develop.

The writers group will be similar to that created by the fellowship program the Walt Disney Co. has been running since 1990. Latter enlists a dozen scribes to work with creative execs to develop films for the studio and TV shows for ABC, the Disney Channel and ABC Family.

Marvel will invite up to five writers each year to work on specific projects, said a source familiar with the deal. Those could include staffers behind Marvel's comicbooks. Tenpercenteries around town are currently pitching potential candidates with writing samples.

The company will provide the specific pitches it wants the scribes to tackle. Those could involve certain plot points for movies already in development or characters it would like to see in its future film slate.
Gathering of scribes will help Marvel come up with creative ways to launch its lesser-known properties, such as Black Panther, Cable, Doctor Strange, Iron Fist, Nighthawk and Vision.

So far, it's focused its efforts on more popular superheroes like Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and Captain America.

It was especially encouraged when Iron Man, who wasn't as well known as Spider-Man, Superman or Batman, was able to cross over and launch a new franchise with a $582 million haul at the worldwide B.O.

Writers will receive a salary for the year. Disney fellows receive around $50,000. Marvel's payment could double that.

A group of Marvel execs will choose the scribes, with the final decision made by Kevin Feige, Marvel Studio's prexy of production.

High-profile writers such as Justin Theroux, Mark Protosevich, Christopher Markus, Stephen McFeely and Zak Penn, who are currently adapting "Iron Man 2," "Thor," "The First Avenger: Captain America" and "The Avengers," respectively, will not be part of the group.

Terms call for Marvel to own whatever the writers work on during the year. Company has the option to continue a relationship with the scribes after that period.

Group, whose first members are currently being recruited, is expected to begin tackling projects this year.

SOURCE

Boy I wish someone would start work on a Captain Marvel flick.

^ Out of the list, I can easily see a Blank Panther and Doctor Strange movie, but the rest, Im not too sure about.

Vision? really?

^ Out of the list, I can easily see a Blank Panther and Doctor Strange movie, but the rest, Im not too sure about.

Vision? really?

Boy I wish someone would start work on a Captain Marvel flick.

Isn't he DC (The SHAZAM! guy)? Or does Marvel also have a Captain Marvel?

Cable & it's not by Fox? That interests me, if that list is actually from Marvel what does that mean? Has Marvel & Fox meet some sort of agreement in fear that Wolverine could bomb?

And Zak Penn is still working on Avengers :( Hopefully either that's a mistake on Variety's part or he's still "technically" on the project, and he'll be replaced as the movie starts pre-production
I hope it's an error too. ****ing hate that hack.

Isn't he DC (The SHAZAM! guy)? Or does Marvel also have a Captain Marvel?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mar-Vell

Cable & it's not by Fox? That interests me, if that list is actually from Marvel what does that mean? Has Marvel & Fox meet some sort of agreement in fear that Wolverine could bomb?
That got me excited too. I think Fox owns generally the license for X-Men, but not to all 1000+ X-Men characters unless they're featured in a movie they're making.

Yea uhh im confused as to how marvel has Cable:huh:

Sounds like Marvel is going to burnout the superhero genre anyway. Three movies in one summer? It looks likethey are juggling with several more plates until they start crashing.

I don't get why they even need to hire writers. comics are story boards.

Hopefully this means we see the likes of a Morbius, Nova and Drax movie down the line, would love to see them on the big screen.

Would love to see a Cable film set in the future, fighting against Apocolypse then at the end he time slides backwards and that set's up a new X-Men franchise.

Michael Biehn for Cable!!

Vision? He's a great supporting character but I'm not sure if he warrants a movie on his own.

I don't get why they even need to hire writers. comics are story boards.

not really....they're a good primer...but you sometimes need to fill in space, that's what a screenplay is for....and not everything that works on the page works in film

Would love to see a Cable film set in the future, fighting against Apocolypse then at the end he time slides backwards and that set's up a new X-Men franchise.

Michael Biehn for Cable!!

Great idea. When Biehn was younger he would've been the perfect Cyclops. :woot:

100% ownership over anything you write for a year is a bit scary

That's something any professional screenwriter has to face. Also, if they don't want to do that, then they don't have to do the program and sign the contract.

Its an interesting idea, but could really go either way based on how its executed.

I am a big fan of the brainstorming, bounce ideas of each other way of working, but you risk a lot of interpersonal stryfe and "creative differences" splits more than usually

I think its a good idea. I've seen superhero movies bomb because of bad writing, and the fact Marvel has its own writers is cool to me.

Marvel have their own comic book writers, why would they do this? Use your own comic book writers, Marvel.

I think this can be an incentive for the comic book writers to work with Marvel instead DC Comics because they can work in 2 mediums when called upon. The comic book writers know their stuff in and out unlike Mark Protosevich or David Self who need years after years to complete the writing because obviously they have to learn about the characters history first.

What's needed is a dependable Hollywood "story-to-movie scene converter" to assist the comic book writers. One guy, for all movies.

Right now I wish more than ever that I had some credentials. I would KILL to write Black Panther.
Black_Panther.jpg

This is going to go as well as their open call for new comic talent, what was it called? Epic or some crap like that? I don't see anything coming from this at all.

A lot of guys are itching to write a Panther story.

Now for those who want to write an epic saga on Stingray will have less competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"