She-Hulk Marvel Studios' She-Hulk General Discussion Thread

I think some of the cgi looks fake on purpose. They want it to make look like the tone of the Lou Ferringno show (remember that teaser back in November - they even had the 70s clothes)

But the Lou Ferrigno Hulk TV show never used CGI but practical effects, and as such there was always a level of realism about him that has never been achieved in any other Hulk movie. Yes, he wasn't anywhere as massive but it looked like a real person at all times and still is the scariest version of the Hulk in a horror movie type of way. The very first Hulk transformation in the pilot has never been bettered.

And as for the tone of the Incredible Hulk TV series, it was very much in the horror vein rather than light comedy like She-Hulk.

I'm sure the CGI will be fixed & improved before the series launches.

It was upfronts & they were presenting their slate. If She Hulk would've had a trailer WITHOUT any She-Hulk footage, there would've been complaints (and concerns).

They saw this trailer before...so they are seeing the same footage audiences are seeing (and of course are aware / gauging audience reaction as well.

There's plenty of time in post to continue working on the series. There have been other instances where footage has been previewed & the SFX were not 100% complete.

They are aware of reaction to the trailer's CGI.

Adam Hlavac from Heroes Reforged mentioned in their reaction video how all the visual effects work is late in Hollywood. He's the one with experience in the field. They expect it to look better by the release.

Source? As I understand it, Marvel can't make a solo She-Hulk movie without Universal distributing.

She-Hulk - Wikipedia

She-Hulk was created by Stan Lee, who wrote only the first issue, and was the last character he created for Marvel Comics[4] until his return to comics with Ravage 2099 in 1992. The reason behind the character's creation had to do with the success of The Incredible Hulk (1977–1982) and The Bionic Woman television series. Marvel was afraid that the show's executives might suddenly introduce a female version of the Hulk, as producer Kenneth Johnson had already done with The Six Million Dollar Man.[5] So Marvel decided to publish their own version of such a character to make sure that if a similar one showed up in the television series, Marvel would own the rights.[6][7]

bf4b4e0790ca4ac3bbcdeebe138a5b8f2badea91.gifv
4db79949f5383b46eb2b3b756a88b23e952e2630.gifv

206e524a39749bb8331a1903129191c5ba2ad832.gifv
a11d78446487c6370ae6b7bca01a7bffd37803ce.gifv

664d1aa3c747a5d62df3eaac2d0628bd2c19ee0a.gifv
49df82e2e1d1754a3bf44f33b1fc6df338c4280a.gifv

She-Hulk - Wikipedia

She-Hulk was created by Stan Lee, who wrote only the first issue, and was the last character he created for Marvel Comics[4] until his return to comics with Ravage 2099 in 1992. The reason behind the character's creation had to do with the success of The Incredible Hulk (1977–1982) and The Bionic Woman television series. Marvel was afraid that the show's executives might suddenly introduce a female version of the Hulk, as producer Kenneth Johnson had already done with The Six Million Dollar Man.[5] So Marvel decided to publish their own version of such a character to make sure that if a similar one showed up in the television series, Marvel would own the rights.[6][7]

This paragraph has nothing to do with the current situation regarding film distribution rights of (She-)Hulk though.

This paragraph has nothing to do with the current situation regarding film distribution rights of (She-)Hulk though.

What the heck are you talking about? It clearly states that She-Hulk was specifically created to deny Universal the rights to a female Hulk-like character. Universal has nothing to do with the fact that Feige decided to introduce the character via a Disney+ series instead of a movie.

bf4b4e0790ca4ac3bbcdeebe138a5b8f2badea91.gifv
4db79949f5383b46eb2b3b756a88b23e952e2630.gifv

a11d78446487c6370ae6b7bca01a7bffd37803ce.gifv
664d1aa3c747a5d62df3eaac2d0628bd2c19ee0a.gifv

In these shots there's nothing to give away that she's a very tall and muscular woman. She could easily just be a regular woman if her skin were not green. So if these just look exactly like Tatiana Maslany (and it's not like they have to change her facial features at all) then how can her face still look not completely real? This should've been the easiest mo-cap because all they're doing is turning her skin green and giving her a longer wig.

In fact, if they had just used practical effects for a few shots like just painting Tatiana green or colour correcting her skin in post then that would've looked far more realistic.

What the heck are you talking about? It clearly states that She-Hulk was specifically created to deny Universal the rights to a female Hulk-like character. Universal has nothing to do with the fact that Feige decided to introduce the character via a Disney+ series instead of a movie.

I think you're confusing IP rights with distribution rights.

I think you're confusing IP rights with distribution rights.

No, I think you are confusing everything. Universal has distribution rights on Hulk.
Universal has no rights at all on She-Hulk. Marvel is doing a Disney+ series about She-Hulk not to circumvent any (nonexistent) rights dispute with Universal but because they decided that's the best way to introduce the character.
Period.

It's funny how much better Orphan Black did one actress playing multiple rolls within the same frame, yet D+ can't make the same actress look a little bigger and green - decent looking.

No, I think you are confusing everything. Universal has distribution rights on Hulk.
Universal has no rights at all on She-Hulk. Marvel is doing a Disney+ series about She-Hulk not to circumvent any (nonexistent) rights dispute with Universal but because they decided that's the best way to introduce the character.
Period.

If Universal created the She-Hulk character on the TV show, Marvel would have had no rights to the character. No publishing, no merchandising, nothing. By publishing the She-Hulk comic, Marvel was able to have control over the She-Hulk character. Case closed? Not exactly.

Marvel's full control over the character more than likely ended when Marvel Entertainment and MCA agreed to terms on Ang Lee's Hulk movie. As we've seen in the Sony leaks, studios had the opportunity to purchase or defer on cinematic character rights for a number of villains, heroes and character sidekicks associated with the star attraction. So while Marvel owned She-Hulk back in the Bixby-Ferrigno days, Marvel Entertainment would have provided MCU Universal the option to purchase the cinematic rights to She-Hulk (and Abomination, Absorbing Man, Thunderbolt Ross, etc.) in order to get the movie made. Since Marvel management at that time was mostly interested in selling toys, they were fine with that.

The fact that Sony has the rights to Spider-Woman/Jessica Drew is infuriating. The character doesn't have anything to do with Spider-Man besides the name.

I remember a rumor that Marvel Studios could use Jessica Drew, but not her spider abilities & superhero costume. But I don't know if it is true.

UPDATE - It is true. Here's a section from the contract:

'Jessica Drew' and specifically listed related characters. [Sony Pictures] may depict Jessica Drew as Spider-Woman, and Marvel may only use her without any Spider-Man-related elements.

Last edited:
I remember a rumor that Marvel Studios could use Jessica Drew, but not her spider abilities, costume & superhero costume. But I don't know if it is true.

UPDATE - It is true. Here's a section from the contract:

'Jessica Drew' and specifically listed related characters. [Sony Pictures] may depict Jessica Drew as Spider-Woman, and Marvel may only use her without any Spider-Man-related elements.

Ugh. Olivia Wilde is supposedly directing the Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman movie for Sony. But they obviously can't user her Hydra origin so now it's just some random "criminal organization".

I'm no expert either, but I am wondering if Ms. Maslany's relatively smooth facial features are more difficult to portray realistically than Hulk's hairy, wrinkled mug or Thanos's grooved face. Tatiana may look less Uncanny Vallley-ish after she sustains some battle damage.
This is absolutely part of it, She-Hulk is not only a lot more human looking than Hulk, but is also meant to be pretty much flawlessly attractive, no wrinkles or scruff and far less exaggerated features to distract from the subtleties, this means that our brains are going to be a lot more sensitive to every little imperfection in her CGI than they are to catching shortcomings in Hulk's CGI. Combine that with the CGI not being quite as well done and you get a lot of shots that go into the uncanny valley real quick.

Y'all...this isn't going to get that much better on release. I would suggest preparing yourselves for that much.
Yeah, the vfx artists are almost certainly gonna be too busy working on all the shots we didn't see to spend their time overhauling her appearance. Best to just hope that she looks better in future appearances after this show.

the Jackals in Moon Knight looked as bad as they looked in the trailer…so probably not enought time

Period.

No he's right. She-Hulk is part of the the umbrella rights associated with Hulk. From everything I've read up on it over the years, the contracts for these characters have a list of associated characters that can or cannot be used by the studios. If you look up the leaked Sony contracts for Spider-Man, there are a slew of Spider related characters that Sony has exclusive rights to, even characters that have little to no connection to Peter.

Now that's solely film related. TV, Marvel can do whatever they want. Just like they were planning on Hulk show 10 years ago without any involvement from Universal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"