Max Series

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
Yes, there’s a thread in the DC TV section, but considering how related these two projects currently appear to be, I thought it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a thread in somewhat closer proximity.

'The Batman' TV Spinoff From Matt Reeves, Terence Winter Set at HBO Max | Hollywood Reporter

We know this is the Year One to the film’s Year Two. We know part of the focus will be on the GCPD. Given both of those pieces of information I have to assume that Jeffrey Wright and John Turturro will have some sort of presence. Obviously Pattinson to a degree, but I think they can get away with using him sparingly, in things like Bruce Wayne-related news footage, while his vigilante activities occur in the shadows with little or no acknowledgement that Bruce is the one behind them.

I’m very curious to see how this thing shapes up.

The smart thing to do is to keep this as a limited series. One season and move on to a Catwoman series (which can have more than one season, between each Batman movie).

I’d also have Batman referenced but we don’t need Pattinson involved. He’s supposed to be an urban legend during this period so let’s keep it that way.

I really have no idea how you do this without it feeling like a retread of Gotham. Maybe expand things to include other levels of Gotham government, like The Wire?

Literally the entire time Gotham was on the air, people complained that it wasn’t enough like Gotham Central, so if this ends up being like Gotham Central and people are like “Well, that’s just Gotham” then I might just have to quit fandom.

I really have no idea how you do this without it feeling like a retread of Gotham. Maybe expand things to include other levels of Gotham government, like The Wire?

The person writing it will be the key. The talent can't be compared. And the difference between HBO and FOX is grand.

Getting ****ing Winter to write your crime drama HBO series is massive and mostly overlooked imo.

Literally the entire time Gotham was on the air, people complained that it wasn’t enough like Gotham Central, so if this ends up being like Gotham Central and people are like “Well, that’s just Gotham” then I might just have to quit fandom.

That **** legit had me scratching my head. Lol 45 seconds of research would show how different this series has potential to be by looking at who's involved. Gotham was a joke by S2 and it was never very good to begin with imo. Just silly **** that was halfway watchable.

The guy who wrote for The Sopranos and made Boardwalk Empire is THE writer? Sign me tf up yesterday. Crime dramas are my favorite so I am very excited for this.

I can’t think of any ways that a Terrence Winter show on HBO would be a retread of Gotham.

That **** legit had me scratching my head. Lol 45 seconds of research would show how different this series has potential to be by looking at who's involved. Gotham was a joke by S2 and it was never very good to begin with imo. Just silly **** that was halfway watchable.

The guy who wrote for The Sopranos and made Boardwalk Empire is THE writer? Sign me tf up yesterday. Crime dramas are my favorite so I am very excited for this.
Comparing this to Gotham will be the equivalent of comparing The Wire to Days of Our Lives.

Funnily enough Gotham also had some HBO pedigree behind it: Bruno Heller was also the showrunner of the short-lived but excellent Rome. Not as illustrious a career as Winter, most of his work outside of Rome has been varying degrees of network shlock but the Rome connection had me excited for about five minutes 'til the pilot script leaked. Not sure if he was showrunning Gotham through its whole run or not.

I’m so excited for this. And for what it could mean for expanding this vision of Batman in the future.

I doubt this series is gonna be like Gotham Central either to be honest, especially since Batman by this show is in Year One and Matt said the rogues don't start to appear until Year Two.

Gotham Central was a masterpiece until Didio or whoever started to make them touch more into the Bat-Universe beyond “Gordon retired, let’s go” that the first run was following.

It was perfectly The Shield within the world of Batman. That’s what we want/need. Give us Luthor with Gordon and hints of Batman.

Yes, the comic has the rivalry of cops trying to out-do Batman after Gordon retired... but overall the basic premise is gritty but heightened cop show while Gotham was just darker Smallville in essence.

Pilot is pretty good. Sets everything up fairly simply, but the plot is sprawling. Barton loves mystery, reveals, and stillness so far as far as directing goes. Very dry wit and natural, modern, blunt dialogue. It does have that Netflix look to it at times, kinda cloudy lighting and odd stage look, but I’m not worried about that.

There are cool animated inserts and he messes with the aspect ratio and color scheme for flashbacks and stuff

He’s the writer not the director though. I wonder who’s gonna direct Gotham P.D?

Ohh I didn’t even realize that. The writing might be better than the direction so far, but it’s all dope so far.

I do wonder if Reeves would be up for it. Might be a little much to ask for.

What I love is that there’s a perfect opportunity to really build on Batman as a myth. I’d have people telling all sorts of stories about their encounters and sightings of Batman. Then, I’d eventually introduce Batman as this scary figure moving in the shadows much like a horror film, but I’d never show his face.

Think about what Predator mode would be like from the perspective of a henchman. You’re doing your rounds and swear you see shadows but can’t be sure. Suddenly it starts to get more and more quiet. You’re finding your guys knocked out, being pulled through the floors out of the corner of your eye, hearing screams in the distance, machines going off that shouldn’t, and strange noises that you can’t place. Then you notice you’re all that’s left and it’s only a matter of time before you end up like the other men. Anxiety is through the roof. You try to check all of your corners, but every time you look in a different direction, you feel like you’re looking away and something is moving in closer. The last thing you see is this huge black mass engulfing you.

Really curious to see just who from the film will appear and how often. If the “Year One” element is as strong as Reeves says, I can’t imagine we won’t see Gordon and Falcone.

I doubt Pattinson shows up much, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see various news reports/paparazzi footage of Bruce Wayne throughout.

I can see Gordon being a fixture.

IF Batman shows up, I can imagine shadowy imagery, newspapers clippings, newscasts, maybe even security cams. But if they actually wanna show Pattinson in the role in the show, that’s like last 3m of the finale stuff. Lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"