Max: The Artist Formerly Known as HBO Max

So yeah it looks like the 2004 animated The Batman series is on HBO Max now too. Not as good as BTAS of course, or even Batman Beyond, but I thought it was a good series on its own. I already have the whole show on DVD myself, but glad to see it on there.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's basically a slightly younger and more modern take on Batman - i.e. a younger Bruce Wayne (about mid-20s) with more modern tech-y Bat gadgets. For a very general comparison, if BTAS is film noir, this series is neo-noir, and Batman Beyond tech-noir. Also features most of Batman's standard rogues gallery with some very different takes on some of the villains (Joker, Freeze, and Riddler probably being some of the biggest "alternate takes" there), and in the latter seasons, throws in Robin (Tim Drake) and some of the other JL members like Superman and Green Lantern. Also, in a sense the Batman on this show feels a lot like Terry McGinnis' Batman Beyond - in that he has a youthful energy and still has a lot of pent-up angst. But at the same time, it still feels absolutely like Bruce Wayne, so no one would be able to mistake this show for not having a true "Batman".

Last edited:
So yeah it looks like the 2004 animated The Batman series is on HBO Max now too. Not as good as BTAS of course, or even Batman Beyond, but I thought it was a good series on its own. I already have the whole show on DVD myself, but glad to see it on there.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, it's basically a slightly younger and more modern take on Batman - i.e. a younger Bruce Wayne (about mid-20s) with more modern tech-y Bat gadgets. For a very general comparison, if BTAS is film noir, this series is neo-noir, and Batman Beyond tech-noir. Also features most of Batman's standard rogues gallery with some very different takes on some of the villains (Joker, Freeze, and Riddler probably being some of the biggest "alternate takes" there), and in the latter seasons, throws in Robin (Tim Drake) and some of the other JL members like Superman and Green Lantern. Also, in a sense the Batman on this show feels a lot like Terry McGinnis' Batman Beyond - in that he has a youthful energy and still has a lot of pent-up angst. But at the same time, it still feels absolutely like Bruce Wayne, so no one would be able to mistake this show for not having a true "Batman".

I've been watching The Batman again here and there. Doesn't hold up quite as well as BTAS, of course, but it is still very much a worthwhile Batman adaptation.

I remember rasta Joker was definitely controversial when it came out. Little did we know that was nothing compared to "Damaged" Joker years later

Rasta Joker was not that bad, and he got better as the series went on.

That Joker is a terrible design. I don't know what the hell they were thinking. The Riddler's design was awful too. I don't mind mixing things up, just make sure they're good designs!

"The Batman" was the first major Batman cartoon post-Timmverse so naturally that Joker got a lot of heat not only because of the design but also because he wasn't voiced by Mark Hamill.

Apparently the Snyder Cut was shown when people were trying to view the Tom and Jerry Movie.

Some parents who thought they were about to get some peace and quiet leaving little Johnny with his cartoons will have had it rough lol.

I think HBO Max might turn into what I use to do with Netflix when there was a series I wanted to watch.

The backlash on social media is strange to me. There are subscribers who don't want the ads because HBO is a premium brand and this will taint their image.

I better not get downgraded since I get it from my internet.
See that's a legitimate concern than worrying about the prestige of some corporate media brand.

LOL, so basically, everybody who was already subscribing just for HBO's content can now downgrade to the ad-supported version and continue to get that same content with no ads. The built-in consumer base just got a price cut after years of proving willing to pay $15 for HBO. I'm sure HBO continues to be thrilled with their new corporate overlords cannibalizing their app/brand. :funny:

LOL, so basically, everybody who was already subscribing just for HBO's content can now downgrade to the ad-supported version and continue to get that same content with no ads. The built-in consumer base just got a price cut after years of proving willing to pay $15 for HBO. I'm sure HBO continues to be thrilled with their new corporate overlords. :funny:

They also dont get theatrical movies

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulsantiagoolg
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"