• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

MCU: Phase II - Part 2

And honestly they probably shouldn't rush into those two characters anyway because ideally the Kree should be established (assuming they have the rights to them) before a Captain/Ms. Marvel movie and as for Panther, he's a loner and king in the first place, so the only way to realistically bring him into the Avengers fold is to have his country involved somehow, and we're way far away from that at present time.

My ideal introduction for Ms. Marvel would be through the SHIELD TV series if it gets picked up for a full season. Carol Danvers could have a 2, maybe 3, appearances on the show and then possibly a supporting role in GOTG, where she may be involved in an accident that gives her powers.

Not in the context of everything else we're getting. I agree, Panther is an awesome character (don't really care much about Ms. Marvel either way) but I'd rather get my epic space adventures and outcasted experimental aliens than a grim dark Panther movie. Ant-Man, Wasp, and Strange are three big Avengers, that's enough to hold me over in terms of new Avengers for phase 3.

And honestly they probably shouldn't rush into those two characters anyway because ideally the Kree should be established (assuming they have the rights to them) before a Captain/Ms. Marvel movie and as for Panther, he's a loner and king in the first place, so the only way to realistically bring him into the Avengers fold is to have his country involved somehow, and we're way far away from that at present time.
Shouldn't the Kree be established before an Inhumans movie too? If anything, a Captain/Ms. Marvel movie establishing the existence of the Kree (and Skrulls) would do just that--admittedly, it would work vice-versa as well--and it would also be one of those epic space adventures you'd rather get.

As for involving Wakanda in a story, you just have to say the word vibranium and you're about one step away from introducing that part of the world. Oh yeah, they already did say vibranium.

My ideal introduction for Ms. Marvel would be through the SHIELD TV series if it gets picked up for a full season. Carol Danvers could have a 2, maybe 3, appearances on the show and then possibly a supporting role in GOTG, where she may be involved in an accident that gives her powers.
It's your opinion, but I don't see how this works.

Shouldn't the Kree be established before an Inhumans movie too? If anything, a Captain/Ms. Marvel movie establishing the existence of the Kree (and Skrulls) would do just that--admittedly, it would work vice-versa as well--and it would also be one of those epic space adventures you'd rather get.

As for involving Wakanda in a story, you just have to say the word vibranium and you're about one step away from introducing that part of the world. Oh yeah, they already did say vibranium.
Captain/Ms. Marvel are more Earth-based though. And you're right, a Captain Marvel movie could establish the Kree, but I'd rather an Inhumans movie do it because they wouldn't go into as deeply and the concept behind them interests me more. Captain Marvel feels like a second act with the Kree, going deeper into how the empire works, rather than introducing them.

And yeah, but like I said, we're pretty far from that area of Marvel right now. And like you said, they've already brought up Vibranium, but it's not like it's led to anything, so that's counterintuitive to your argument. Black Panther would have to have a specific reason to associate himself with the Avengers, and to do that you'd have to put his country in danger, and most of the time his country is in danger because of their Vibranium stores, and the primary villains who would mess with the Vibranuim is AIM. So, until we get to the point where AIM is a major factor in an Avengers movie, which would require an Earth-based villain, I don't see BP being used.

Last edited:
It's your opinion, but I don't see how this works.

I don't necessarily believe that Ms. Marvel needs a solo film, though I would very much like to see the character, especially in Avengers 2. Establish Carol Danvers as a captain for the USAF, Space Command during an early season episode of SHIELD. Possibly just assisting the SHIELD operatives investigating a case or providing an expert opinion. Then give her another appearance later in the season further developing the character and a supporting role in GOTG. You then followup with her post-accident on the 2014-2015 season of SHIELD for an episode.

I don't see how she would fit into Guardians of the Galaxy. She's primarily an Earth hero and Guardians will be taking place in a completely different galaxy.

Beyond that, I wouldn't like them introducing a major character like her on the TV show.

yeee.

That works. and for Coulson. Coulson is Mar-Vell. Calling it. I'll take it to my grave

Seriously. He had more character development in his one minute in Thor than he did in the whole of the Avengers movie.
He didn't necessarily need development. He was used a plot device, which I actually liked because it gave Hawkeye a purpose in the film. Not every character needs development, as long as they're there for a reason.

He didn't necessarily need development. He was used a plot device, which I actually liked because it gave Hawkeye a purpose in the film. Not every character needs development, as long as they're there for a reason.
Even though you liked it Renner didn't. Even though it's just my speculation actors have left roles for just that before.

All I'm saying is that we've heard of every single character having something to do in Phase 2 except Hawkeye. I may be over thinking it but that kinda has me worried

Even though you liked it Renner didn't. Even though it's just my speculation actors have left roles for just that before.

All I'm saying is that we've heard of every single character having something to do in Phase 2 except Hawkeye. I may be over thinking it but that kinda has me worried
I don't think Renner would give that role up so easily. The Avengers was the third highest grossing film of all time. His character will obviously have more to do in Avengers 2. The first one was pretty much his introduction.

I'm getting really excited for this second wave of 'homegrown' Marvel films, especially after seeing the behind-the-scenes preview that comes as part of the MCU Phase 1 Blu-Ray set as an Extra.

Regarding 'Phase 3', here's the properties I'd like to see focused on either in addition to or in lieu of continuations of their Phase 1/Phase 2 films:
Doctor Strange (confirmed)
Daredevil
Blade
The Punisher
S.H.I.E.L.D. (piggybacking off of the TV series and using the same characters as well as Nick Fury and Marie Hill)

I'm getting really excited for this second wave of 'homegrown' Marvel films, especially after seeing the behind-the-scenes preview that comes as part of the MCU Phase 1 Blu-Ray set as an Extra.

Regarding 'Phase 3', here's the properties I'd like to see focused on either in addition to or in lieu of continuations of their Phase 1/Phase 2 films:
Doctor Strange (confirmed)
Daredevil
Blade
The Punisher
S.H.I.E.L.D. (piggybacking off of the TV series and using the same characters as well as Nick Fury and Marie Hill)
Not knocking what you wanna see but I'd have to respectfully disagree. I don't wanna see properties already done before. Daredevil, Blade and Punisher and by association Elektra have all been done before. I'd rather Marvel focus on bringing all new characters to the light.

^ Marvel is more than likely going to take advantage of the fact that they re-acquired the rights to Daredevil, Blade, and Punisher at some point, and I think Phase 3 is the ideal time for them to do so because these characters offer an opportunity for the studio to go 'intimate' again after the expansive cosmic-based 'escalation' of Phase 2.

Edit: They're also releasing Ant-Man as the 'kickoff' to Phase 3, and the films I mentioned as wanting to see fit in with that project since, AFAIK, it's fairly standalone in nature.

Last edited:
^ Marvel is more than likely going to take advantage of the fact that they re-acquired the rights to Daredevil, Blade, and Punisher at some point, and I think Phase 3 is the ideal time for them to do so because these characters offer an opportunity for the studio to go 'intimate' again after the expansive cosmic-based 'escalation' of Phase 2.

Edit: They're also releasing Ant-Man as the 'kickoff' to Phase 3, and the films I mentioned as wanting to see fit in with that project since, AFAIK, it's fairly standalone in nature.
Like I said in another thread these are characters that Marvel could turn into TV shows and do well with because of their street level focus. Also it's just my biased that these characters never interested me so not seeing them in film right now wouldn't be bad to me

^ If Marvel made movies out of properties like Iron Man and Thor, they're not going to relegate the likes of Daredevil and The Punisher to the small screen; I could possibly see them doing a Blade TV series in lieu of a film, but think they'd ultimately opt to bring Blade to the big screen because doing so would give their universe some diversity and appeal to a broader swath of the general audience than would a film starring someone like, say, Black Panther or Luke Cage.

^ If Marvel made movies out of properties like Iron Man and Thor, they're not going to relegate the likes of Daredevil and The Punisher to the small screen; I could possibly see them doing a Blade TV series in lieu of a film, but think they'd ultimately opt to bring Blade to the big screen because doing so would give their universe some diversity and appeal to a broader swath of the general audience than would a film starring someone like, say, Black Panther or Luke Cage.
How would Blade appeal to a "broader swath of the general audience" than Panther or Cage?
And actually FOX was developing a Punisher tv series before it was cancelled. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Marvel would delegate some of their street level characters to TV series. This would actually be good for some characters. Daredevil is the type of character that could really flourish as a tv series. Many street level characters actually are.

How would Blade appeal to a "broader swath of the general audience" than Panther or Cage?

The property's Vampire theme. Vampires have always been very popular, particularly with general audiences.

That's kind of ridiculous.

To me, Luke Cage's problem has nothing to do with him being black. It's because his powers are kind of boring (invulnerable/strong), he's got no interesting visual concept (ie a great costume), and there's really not much "hook" to sell him as a unique character. He's basically a tough guy that beats up street level drug dealers. He hasn't even got an interesting rogues gallery. He might work in tandem with Iron Fist, but I'm not sure he's a strong enough solo concept.

Black Panther done correctly should be a slam dunk. Cool concept, interesting tech/powers combo, awesome visual design. Batman/James Bond meets Coming To America. He's just a cinematic/escapist character with an interesting hook. Blank Panther should absolutely have a broad audience appeal.

Last edited:
The Blade property's Vampire theme gives it a broader appeal when it comes to general audiences because, as I noted, vampires are and have always been popular. With Black Panther and Luke Cage, you have to work harder to maximize their appeal when it comes to attracting a general audience whereas, with Blade, you've already got built-in crowd appeal because of the vampire theme.

The Blade property's Vampire theme gives it a broader appeal when it comes to general audiences because, as I noted, vampires are and have always been popular. With Black Panther and Luke Cage, you have to work harder to maximize their appeal when it comes to attracting a general audience whereas, with Blade, you've already got built-in crowd appeal because of the vampire theme.
This is true if Blade were made as any other film dealing with vampires but it's not. It would be a part of Marvel's MCU which is at the moment a family oriented target market. Blade would mostly certainly not appeal to Marvel's target audience more than Black Panther or Luke Cage.

And for the record Marvel wouldn't be looking to market Luke Cage by himself. If/When they bring him out it will be in tandem with Iron Fist

That's kind of ridiculous.

To me, Luke Cage's problem has nothing to do with him being black. It's because his powers are kind of boring (invulnerable/strong), he's got no interesting visual concept (ie a great costume), and there's really not much "hook" to sell him as a unique character. He's basically a tough guy that beats up street level drug dealers. He hasn't even got an interesting rogues gallery. He might work in tandem with Iron Fist, but I'm not sure he's a strong enough solo concept.

As I've said many times before, I think it's far better to have a Power Man and Iron Fist movie than just solo outings for both. Neither are really quite spectaluar enough on their own, but together, there is that character dynamic and chemistry that makes them like a buddy movie which we haven't had in a Marvel film so far.

Luke Cage is pretty much as you say above, but Iron Fist's powers aren't that different from other characters that have already been seen in dozens of martial arts movies (or even tv series) hundreds of times before. There have been many warriors who can channel their chi into various parts of their body to make it invulnerable or destructive.

Even in a non fantasy cop series like Martial Law, the lead character played by Sammo Hung used exactly what Iron Fist's powers are in the final episode by channelling his chi force into his fist to smash down an iron door. Plus he is also well known for his kung fu skills.

So the best solution for them is to play up the buddy aspect as well as the nostalgia factor of blaxploitation flicks combined with kung fu flicks, because on their own I see them both individually turning out more like the Elektra, Daredevil, Punisher or Ghost Rider movies no matter how "interesting" their backstories are supposed to be.

And actually FOX was developing a Punisher tv series before it was cancelled. It's not out of the realm of possibilities that Marvel would delegate some of their street level characters to TV series. This would actually be good for some characters. Daredevil is the type of character that could really flourish as a tv series. Many street level characters actually are.

Blade's already had a TV series, that was cancelled after one season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade:_The_Series

Incidentally, the cancellation wasn't because of poor ratings; it was actually one of Spike's biggest hits for the year. The station was still young at the time and didn't want to gamble on a re-up.

As I've said many times before, I think it's far better to have a Power Man and Iron Fist movie than just solo outings for both. Neither are really quite spectaluar enough on their own, but together, there is that character dynamic and chemistry that makes them like a buddy movie which we haven't had in a Marvel film so far.

Luke Cage is pretty much as you say above, but Iron Fist's powers aren't that different from other characters that have already been seen in dozens of martial arts movies (or even tv series) hundreds of times before. There have been many warriors who can channel their chi into various parts of their body to make it invulnerable or destructive.

Even in a non fantasy cop series like Martial Law, the lead character played by Sammo Hung used exactly what Iron Fist's powers are in the final episode by channelling his chi force into his fist to smash down an iron door. Plus he is also well known for his kung fu skills.

So the best solution for them is to play up the buddy aspect as well as the nostalgia factor of blaxploitation flicks combined with kung fu flicks, because on their own I see them both individually turning out more like the Elektra, Daredevil, Punisher or Ghost Rider movies no matter how "interesting" their backstories are supposed to be.

Pretty much this. Luke Cage and Danny Rand work best as a pair; I wouldn't really try and do a solo movie for either. Together, they can play off each other, and lampshade each others' genre oddities. Granted, the challenge would be getting the tone right; you'd need a director who can balance the surreal stylistic elements with the need to still feel like its a part of the MCU.

The popularity of vampires has nothing whatsoever to do with Twilight. Vampires were popular long before that series came out and will continue to be popular long into the future.

Oh, and there are numerous ways to do a Blade film franchise that fits the tone of the MCU.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"