MCU Thor Respect Thread (Spoilers!!!)

You do realise that in the comics, the obedience disks were capable of subduing the Silver Surfer, right?

main-qimg-f0dbf03e567f7dd93e0b86b73f619dd8

The obedience disks being able to subdue Thor is WELL within the scope of their abilities from the comics and Ragnarok was not at all inconsistent with the source material in this regard.

Wattiti himself stated that he envisioned the disks having a similar effect on Thor to what Odin's depowering of him had in the first movie:

The obedience discs seen on Sakaar come from the Planet Hulk comics. Waititi explained that the obedience disk more or less plays the same role as Thor losing his hammer in the first film — it takes away his powers and makes it more believable he could be beaten in a fight. “It’s just more fun to see a character like this on an even playing field,” says Waititi.

'Thor: Ragnarok': 32 Things We Learned from Taika Waititi's Commentary

You can make of that what you will. As Batmannerism says, the disks should be seen as a sort of multi-purpose Kryptonite. They're plot devices to allow Thor to be captured so that he can be kept away from Asgard for most of the movie and so he can have gladiator fight with Hulk.

If you want to bring in the comics... The disks were only able to even be implanted into the Surfer and Hulk because in the comic story being transported through the space fold that leads to the planet significantly weakened the beings that traverse it. And it took a seriously long time for them to recover. The film has no such rationale. Thor is as powerful, sans hammer, natch, as he was when he arrived as he was before. The same level of strength and durability that was tanking all manner of physical assaults, energy blasts and what for any but a handful of MCU beings so far would be deadly and damaging penetrative attacks. So he wasn't in some weakened physical state as seen when he throws some mook a quarter of a mile casually upon finding himself on that trash heap.

Again... It all doesn't track given what we know and see of the character. I get what that the discs are supposed to be a Multi-Kryptonite type macguffin deal and a plot device designed to get Thor into a place where he and Hulk could fight. I have no problem with that conceptually. Hell, lots of stories have to jump through some hoops to deliver whatever the writer is selling. But the execution can still be off even if there's an admitted convolution to make certain plot elements work. Had they gone with hewing more closely to the comics and had Thor in a severely weakened state when it arrived there would be more sense to it. But that's just it... It's not about sense. It's about getting a laugh. Which was obviously what both Marvel and Taika were going for above all else. Which is why you get a movie that is honestly only remembered for it's humor and it's admittedly AWESOME action sequences. But it's empty otherwise because of course... Comedy is the death of dignity. It's also, in films, often the death of consistency or logic. Thus, who cares if the obedience discs make sense? We get laughs out of seeing Thor get shocked. Asgard gets destroyed? Will we get some sense of the loss of the home of the gods? Nope... Let's have a rock man make a joke. Finally see Thor take up the mantle of King which was the path we were shown at his introduction in the MCU? Can't have you feel anything, so here's the rock man again making a joke with his bug buddy.

When you only care about getting a laugh, consistency, defined characteristics, pathos... They all go out the window. What matters is landing the joke. Which is fine for a comedy. Otherwise... You need to have sense and a certain order to things. The irony of Thor getting tased in the first film had a set up. He's totally mortal, with all his Asgardian powers and nature taken away. And it worked as a joke but was consistent with the story as well because Branagh was actually interested in more than just a deluge of humor.

One's gotta love these King Thor covers from Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic.
I just love how these guys have "reimagined" and retold this new version of Thor. I unabashedly love this look. Jason Aaron is in my book the best Thor writer ever and his run on Thor is freaking amazing. These comic book artists are doing the lord's work with the imagery.

Also check out the synopsis for the second cover "King Thor #2".

scaled.kingthor2019001-cov.jpg

tumblr_pvorgfdQkz1s2lswpo1_1280.jpg

I'm not a Thor fan at all ( although I like his supporting cast Jane-Thor, Loki, the Warriors 3, Beta Say Bill) but even I am impressed by those covers - very Cool!

King Thor #4 by Jason Aaron & Esad Ribic

tumblr_py3hgob3hS1uxfptco1_1280.jpg

Thor is easily the best part of Endgame and the best overall character in the MCU. :thor:

New comic and look for Thor.
thor2020001-newcover1.jpg

thor-cates-klein-design-by-nic-klein-final.jpg
THOR #1 (ONGOING)
  • Writer: DONNY CATES
  • Artist: NIC KLEIN
  • Cover: OLIVIER COIPEL
  • A BRAND-NEW, SUPERSTAR CREATIVE TEAM TAKES THE KING OF ASGARD TO NEW REALMS OF GLORY!
  • The prince is now a king. All Asgard lies before Thor, the God of Thunder. And after many months of war, the Ten Realms are finally at peace. But the skies above the Realm Eternal are never clear for long. The Black Winter is coming. And the God of the Storm will be powerless before it.

Thor was awesome in that fight. But IMO something people don't seem to be giving him enough credit for was how long he lasted against Thanos one on one.

Despite what happened onscreen people just don't seem to recognise how incredibly deadly Thanos was - taking out Hulk without breaking a sweat in Infinity War and fighting Thunder Cap, Thor and Tony all at once. Thanos clearly was unbelievably powerful - being able to stop a swing from Stormbreaker with one hand. The only greater feats of combat prowess and strength have to go to Hela - who shattered Mjolnir with one hand.

Thor was awesome in that fight. But IMO something people don't seem to be giving him enough credit for was how long he lasted against Thanos one on one.

I still think Thanos only beat Thor so easily because Thor was a shadow of his former self. He was getting outclassed in speed, skill and agility because he'd spent five years as a fat depressed alcoholic. He barely used his lightning, even when Thanos had him pinned.

Yes, Thanos is powerful but Cap with Mjolnir was able to knock him down and hurt him, he was getting curbstomped by Scarlet Witch and he was clearly weaker than Captain Marvel. Infinity War Thor would've beaten Thanos and stolen the spotlight from Tony/Cap so the writers found a way to nerf him.

I still think Thanos only beat Thor so easily because Thor was a shadow of his former self. He was getting outclassed in speed, skill and agility because he'd spent five years as a fat depressed alcoholic. He barely used his lightning, even when Thanos had him pinned.

Yes, Thanos is powerful but Cap with Mjolnir was able to knock him down and hurt him, he was getting curbstomped by Scarlet Witch and he was clearly weaker than Captain Marvel. Infinity War Thor would've beaten Thanos and stolen the spotlight from Tony/Cap so the writers found a way to nerf him.

Agree to disagree. IMO if Infinity War Thor had fought Thanos in a straight up fistfight he would have lost, it would have been much much closer than the fight in Endgame but he still wouldn't have won - he only nearly killed Thanos by blindsiding him. Thanos' mistake was lashing out with the gauntlet - because he was clearly quick enough to catch Stormbreaker in flight, as he demonstrated in Endgame.

Thor just about beat Hulk in Ragnarok after a pretty brutal fight...Thanos utterly destroyed Hulk in about 30 seconds.

Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel are ridiculously powerful - especially CM. Given that she took out an enormous spaceship without any sign of effort I didn't think that getting through Thanos' army was going to be much of a challenge, so the "She's got help " line seemed a bit silly to me. Equally it seemed a bit silly that CM looked capable of overpowering Thanos, but got dropped by a single blast from the power stone.

I realise you are unlikely to agree with me on this, so just take the above as my opinion and we can leave it at that. On a similar note, I really liked the Big Thorbowksi - he added a lot of humour into a film that needed it. Some folks like Thor as a grim and serious warrior who talks like he's doing Shakespeare in the park. I vastly preferred Tails Waititi's Thor - and I'm really looking forward to Love and Thunder, and seeing Thor turn himself around and get back into shape as he finds a new direction in life ( also the Jane Foster Thor stories were great).

Agree to disagree. IMO if Infinity War Thor had fought Thanos in a straight up fistfight he would have lost, it would have been much much closer than the fight in Endgame but he still wouldn't have won - he only nearly killed Thanos by blindsiding him. Thanos' mistake was lashing out with the gauntlet - because he was clearly quick enough to catch Stormbreaker in flight, as he demonstrated in Endgame.Thor just about beat Hulk in Ragnarok after a pretty brutal fight...Thanos utterly destroyed Hulk in about 30 seconds.

Without the gauntlet, beating Hulk, beating Iron Man, beating Cap with Mjolnir and beating a fat alcoholic Thor are the best feats Thanos has (which is kind of disappointing compared to the comic version).

Thor at his peak was on another level.
  • Faster, more agile and his skills were honed.
  • Rather than just trying to brawl and compete on raw strength, all his attacks would be charged with lightning (like the lightning charged punches that ragdolled Hulk).
  • He'd also be using ranged lightning to stun Thanos and create openings (like he did when Thanos had the gauntlet) or as a counter if Thanos tries to grapple with him (like he did when Hela had him pinned).
  • In the hands of Thor at his peak, Stormbreaker's a bigger threat. The guy had precise control over its flight and could throw it through a beam from the gauntlet.
Thanos would have an outside chance but Thor eventually landing a hit with Stormbreaker seems more likely to me.

Thor just about beat Hulk in Ragnarok after a pretty brutal fight...Thanos utterly destroyed Hulk in about 30 seconds.

I don't think that feat puts him ahead of Thor. In Ragnarok we saw that Hulk vs Thor is a good fight if Thor has lost his weapon/lightning but one lightning charged punch can send Hulk crashing to the ground. Add in Stormbreaker and Thor could one shot Hulk if he wanted to.

Scarlet Witch and Captain Marvel are ridiculously powerful - especially CM. Given that she took out an enormous spaceship without any sign of effort. It seemed a bit silly that CM looked capable of overpowering Thanos, but got dropped by a single blast from the power stone.

Carol's ridiculously powerful but so was Infinity War Thor. He even has his own feats effortlessly taking out spaceships and taking direct hits from Infinity Stones.

Some folks like Thor as a grim and serious warrior who talks like he's doing Shakespeare in the park. I vastly preferred Tails Waititi's Thor - and I'm really looking forward to Love and Thunder, and seeing Thor turn himself around and get back into shape as he finds a new direction in life ( also the Jane Foster Thor stories were great).

We can definitely agree on that. Ragnarok and Infinity War were great so I'm hoping Endgame was a blip and Taika gives us another great Thor story.

Last edited:
Thor and Loki embark on a cosmic odyssey to stop the return of an ancient evil. A space adventure on an epic scale, Metal Gods propels Thor and Loki on a quest to recover a dangerous alien artifact. Together with a Korean tiger-goddess, a charismatic, gender-fluid space pirate, and Frost Giant mercenaries, the sons of Odin must each confront their pasts and face the truth behind the destruction of a planet that Thor once tried to help. Tinged with humor, celestial horror, complex relationships, space battles, barroom brawls, and blasts of sheer fun.

Audiobook

Thor-Metal-Gods-Serial-Box-Artwork.jpg

King Thor #4 by Jason Aaron & Esad Ribic

tumblr_py3hgob3hS1uxfptco1_1280.jpg

Wow..it is truly feel like the end of an era..if this is the conclusion arc by Jason Aaron.
Jason Aaron brings so much epicness to Thor mythos since he is tasked to write it almost 7 years ago...

from the young Viking age Thor, to the prime Thor, to the old King Thor, to Gorr the God butcher, to the Leagues of the realms, to Malekith, to the world congress, Jane Foster, Agent Solomon, Dario Agger, Loki, Karnilla, Odin, Freya, Tyr, Volstagg, the Gladiator, Shia'r Gods challenge, Mjolnir's origin, Alfheim massacre, The War Thor, Thori the hell Dog, Thor's granddaughter, and...Mangog!

Jason Aaron (with Esad Ribic and Russell Dauterman art) makes the world of Thor full of wonders, excitement, adventurous, along with terror and tragedy as well.

I feel there are no other writer who can make a good Thor story as good as Aaron.
Whoever writes the next Thor book, he or she is gonna have a big shoes to fill.

Yep, amazing run from this guy. :up:

Having watched EG again, I really do think it's unforgivable how badly they portrayed Thor in that final battle. He's the only Avenger to not even land a single clean hit on Thanos and he just seems really slow, weak and useless.

And with the Russos having now confirmed that EG Thor was peak Thor, I can't see the situation improving.

Honestly, Thor isn't even in the top 5 most powerful Avengers anymore and that's just sad.

So failing to land a single hit is "awesome"? Stop making excuses for how weak Thor was.

Despite what happened onscreen people just don't seem to recognise how incredibly deadly Thanos was - taking out Hulk without breaking a sweat in Infinity War and fighting Thunder Cap, Thor and Tony all at once.

Thor and Tony were out for the count by the time Cap picked up Mjolnir. Cap vs Thanos was 1v1 and Steve did so much better than Thor that it isn't funny.

Recognising that Thanos was "deadly" would be fine if Wanda, Carol and Steve didn't do as well against him as they did. The Russos straight up confirmed that Wanda and Steve were both on the verge of killing Thanos before circumstances intervened to stop them.

In other words, Thor isn't even on the same footing as these guys (and gals). His durability is awful. Three haymakers from Thanos had him out for the count. Tony in IW withstood more punches from Thanos than that and kept fighting. So Thor's durability is the same (or worse) than Tony's? That's pathetic.

Watch the two scenes:

(0:55-1:01)

Thanos punches Tony 6 times in the face and and then blasts him with the Power Stone. Tony gets up and is still able to fight back somewhat effectively. And this was after Tony had an asteroid slam into him.

(1:45-1:50)

Thor takes three punches from Thanos and is bleeding and unable to get up and fight back.

And don't me give the "IW Thanos was pulling his punches" jazz. This was literally just after Thanos threw a freaking moon at the Avengers to try and kill them. And Tony had just made Thanos bleed, so the Titan had every reason to to not hold back at that point.

We just need to face up to the fact that EG Thor was pathetic. And since the Russo's have now confirmed that Thor was at his strongest in EG, it makes pre-EG Thor pathetic as well.

Maybe Phase 4 will fix it and finally give Thor some impressive feats, but given that Jane is the Queen of the MCU now, I'm not holding my breath.

So failing to land a single hit is "awesome"? Stop making excuses for how weak Thor was.

Thor and Tony were out for the count by the time Cap picked up Mjolnir. Cap vs Thanos was 1v1 and Steve did so much better than Thor that it isn't funny.

Recognising that Thanos was "deadly" would be fine if Wanda, Carol and Steve didn't do as well against him as they did. The Russos straight up confirmed that Wanda and Steve were both on the verge of killing Thanos before circumstances intervened to stop them.

In other words, Thor isn't even on the same footing as these guys (and gals). His durability is awful. Three haymakers from Thanos had him out for the count. Tony in IW withstood more punches from Thanos than that and kept fighting. So Thor's durability is the same (or worse) than Tony's? That's pathetic.

Watch the two scenes:

Thanos punches Tony 6 times in the face and and then blasts him with the Power Stone. Tony gets up and is still able to fight back somewhat effectively. And this was after Tony had an asteroid slam into him.

Thor takes three punches from Thanos and is bleeding and unable to get up and fight back.

And don't me give the "IW Thanos was pulling his punches" jazz. This was literally just after Thanos threw a freaking moon at the Avengers to try and kill them. And Tony had just made Thanos bleed, so the Titan had every reason to to not hold back at that point.

We just need to face up to the fact that EG Thor was pathetic. And since the Russo's have now confirmed that Thor was at his strongest in EG, it makes pre-EG Thor pathetic as well.

Maybe Phase 4 will fix it and finally give Thor some impressive feats, but given that Jane is the Queen of the MCU now, I'm not holding my breath.

I know the Russo's are the final word because it was their movie, but that makes no sense. What I'm seeing are inconsistencies from movie to movie and it looks like it's based on who is directing it. Hey, it's a movie and a movie made by people who obviously didn't see eye to eye with what was done in the past. The idea that IM or Cap is more powerful than Thor rather flies in the face of everything we've seen earlier. I think we just have to accept the inconsistencies.

Watch the two scenes:

Well....if you feel that way,

Not sure how to respond to that, or whether it's even really worth trying. I try really hard not to be rude to people, but after reading what you've posted all I can think is "Really?!"

If you don't think Thor has had any impressive feats recently then you must have been asleep for his entrance in the final battle of Infinity War and him shortly afterwards nearly eviscerating Thanos with a single blow. Or how in the same film he restarted a neutron star and then withstood its blast. Or maybe you missed his awesome feats in Ragnarok, where he fights a fire demon army single handed, incapacitates Surtur, almost KOs the Hulk , holds his own against probably the most powerful and deadly being in the MCU ( who happened to be his older sister) and then makes another truly awesome entrance ( with a little help from Led Zeppelin) and wipes out a zombie army.

Remember that stuff ?

So Thor got KO'd by Thanos ( who kicked him in the face). So what ?

Personally, I like where Waititi and the Russos have taken Thor.

Thor has had some great service in his last few film appearances. If you cant see that I feel a bit sorry for you.

Last edited:
Having watched EG again, I really do think it's unforgivable how badly they portrayed Thor in that final battle. He's the only Avenger to not even land a single clean hit on Thanos and he just seems really slow, weak and useless.

Agreed.

And with the Russos having now confirmed that EG Thor was peak Thor, I can't see the situation improving.

I recognise the Russos said that, but given it was a stupid ass thing to say I've elected to ignore it.

Personally, I like where Waititi and the Russos have taken Thor.

Everyone agrees that Ragnarok and Infinity War gave us great portrayals of Thor.

The Russos completely dropped the ball with Endgame though.

Agreed.

I recognise the Russos said that, but given it was a stupid ass thing to say I've elected to ignore it.

Everyone agrees that Ragnarok and Infinity War gave us great portrayals of Thor.

The Russos completely dropped the ball with Endgame though.

Agree in particular with your last couple of quotes. Frankly, I DO see the portrayals of Thor getting better and in a large part because the Russos aren't directing the movies he'll be in. The one possible explanation (not excuse) that comes to mind is that there was so much going on in EG that someone had to be shoved into the background. Why that didn't happen to Thor in IW, makes me doubt this is correct. I've expressed concern in other threads that Marvel has so much going on in phase 4 that this particular type of juggling act may prove difficult to impossible and I want to see everyone get their due.

How the Russos can say EG Thor was peak Thor after releasing IW rather baffles me and I can't think of a single explanation for it. Oh, wait......I can ignore it. :yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"