Miami Vice reboot in the works at NBC

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
'Miami Vice' Reboot From Vin Diesel in the Works at NBC

Diesel will reteam with 'Fast and the Furious' Chris Morgan and exec produce the revival, which is in development at the network that originally aired the Don Johnson starrer.

NBC is looking to reboot one of its most successful procedurals.

The network is teaming with Vin Diesel to develop a Miami Vice TV series.

The project, which has been in the works for months, is being driven by Shana Waterman (24: Live Another Day, Wayward Pines), the former Fox Broadcasting executive who now serves as head of television for Diesel's One Race Television production company. Miami Vice is the first project to come out of Diesel's first-look deal with Universal Television. Diesel and Waterman will exec produce alongside Chris Morgan and Ainsley Davies via the former's overall deal with Universal Television. Peter Macmanus (Spike TV's The Mist) will pen the script.

I' think it would be cool but you ain't going to top the 80's show. Also Michael Mann isn't involved at all in this? As a producer or anything? Mistake!

giphy.gif

I like J. Foxx and C. Farrell but the movie alone was terrible so don't go that route, dark is a mistake. It needs to be pastel, bright, flashy cars, theme song to work. There needs two actors that are close to the characters too I'm not sure who though but if they do make it like the original just updated like Hawaii 5O.

you'd need lots of licensing fees for contemporary pop music. Also, what's the main angle here?

"cocaine" isn't the super-controversy like it was back then. crack isn't brand-new. opiates and meth are the renewed drug trend.

I like J. Foxx and C. Farrell but the movie alone was terrible so don't go that route, dark is a mistake. It needs to be pastel, bright, flashy cars, theme song to work. There needs two actors that are close to the characters too I'm not sure who though but if they do make it like the original just updated like Hawaii 5O.

I loved the movie personally and was waiting for a sequel.

The show was not particularly seen as "camp" or "light" back in the day. NOW... With the passage of time it's easy to look at it with ye' olde "What were they thinking wearing that?" but in terms of plots, stories, themes, characterization and subject matter... No. It was stylish and of it's time but it's a much darker show than either the original or reboot of 50.

I agree though that Mann's lack of involvement is a red flag for me. And as others have noted, while Miami is still a hub for trafficking to a certain degree, yeah, the drug trade and crime in general are not the same as it was over 30 years ago (no matter how some try to push the idea of things being EVEN worse today, it's quite the opposite in fact).

And now just for fun...

[YT]JWE_2jQEAAM[/YT]

[YT]NJ2qRljD3DA[/YT]

take cues from the successful cable crime shows. Power, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

take cues from the successful cable crime shows. Power, Breaking Bad, Sons of Anarchy, etc.

Yeah, I think that would be the way to go. Remember, the show was about detectives that worked under cover. That's really rich material to mine for drama, conflict and characterization. Done in a modern manner and you could have something really meaty. Unfortunately it seems all anyone younger seems to remember is the color scheme and thinking it's camp. Done today the story of undercover police detectives in the world of drug dealing and trafficking would be a nail biter. The movie had those elements as well, only without the pastel palette cuz times and fashions change.

I rewatched the entire Miami Vice series on Netflix several months ago before it was removed from streaming. One thing it was never was campy. It was a very serious show and despite the bright colors, it was incredibly dark in several episodes.

It did not go depressingly dark but it did not shy away from the ugly realities of the drug culture either. I do not want an overly serious, depressing, there is no hope series. I would rather see something in the vein of Justified, only with Florida instead of Kentucky and with undercover cops instead of a federal marshal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"