Missing Elements/Themes in the Movie...

I definately agree that the weapon X should have been more gritty and violent, especially the breakout. In X2 we guards trying to restrain Logan in the tank, why didnt we get that here?

Also the previous missions of Weapon X, at least show ONE time when Logan was an animal that and allude to others, this wasnt even done. Even better, and a scene I personally would have loved, would have been a scene with Wolverine hunting for deer in the forest, getting into a tangle with wolves as they interrupted his kill. A scene like this wouldnt have taken up much of Fox's prescious screen time and would have been simply awesome in the movie.

That might be classic comic book Wolverine but it just doesn't sound right for movie Wolverine at all.

In a prequel, i don't think that scene would fit. It might in a total reboot where Wolverine was more of a monster, more bestial.

That might be classic comic book Wolverine but it just doesn't sound right for movie Wolverine at all.

In a prequel, i don't think that scene would fit. It might in a total reboot where Wolverine was more of a monster, more bestial.

With Stryker saying Wolverine is an animal in X2 and even Wolverine, this would have been the perfect scene to show it IMO. Even have him do it on a weapon X mission were they are isolated in a forest, and they need food, it would fit perfectly into this movie IMO.

With Stryker saying Wolverine is an animal in X2 and even Wolverine, this would have been the perfect scene to show it IMO. Even have him do it on a weapon X mission were they are isolated in a forest, and they need food, it would fit perfectly into this movie IMO.

Stryker actually said: "People don't change Wolverine, you were an animal then, you're an animal now"

He was trying to dissuade Wolverine from going off with the X-men and trying to live a normal life.

There was no implication that Wolverine was some wild beast of the woods in the past.

I don't think the Wolverine of any of the X-movies has been a savage creature, just a man with animal instincts that can spill over into berserker rages when he's provoked/threatened.

All he lost was his memory, he didn't lose the ability to be some kind of wild beast.

Sabretooth has to be depicted as being the savage beast, in order to differentiate them and add to the man vs beast theme.

Stryker actually said: "People don't change Wolverine, you were an animal then, you're an animal now"

He was trying to dissuade Wolverine from going off with the X-men and trying to live a normal life.

There was no implication that Wolverine was some wild beast of the woods in the past.

I don't think the Wolverine of any of the X-movies has been a savage creature, just a man with animal instincts that can spill over into berserker rages when he's provoked/threatened.

All he lost was his memory, he didn't lose the ability to be some kind of wild beast.

Sabretooth has to be depicted as being the savage beast, in order to differentiate them and add to the man vs beast theme.

Stryker also said "I didnt realise Xavier was taking in animals, even one's as unique as you." They pretty much says it all for me, when I first heard those lines, I immediatly thought of a beast, not a guy with a heart of gold we practically got in this movie. They should have shown him doing some evil and bestial things IMO.

Stryker also said "I didnt realise Xavier was taking in animals, even one's as unique as you." They pretty much says it all for me, when I first heard those lines, I immediatly thought of a beast, not a guy with a heart of gold we practically got in this movie. They should have shown him doing some evil and bestial things IMO.

I think they'd have to remove Sabretooth from the movie for that to happen, as Sabretooth represented the savage beast and Wolverine was the man trying not to be a beast.

What the film could have done is show Wolverine doing some brutal killing in the war, and also some way of showing or implying there were many Team X missions.

they should have shown them on diff missions or flashbacks.. something!! you get the feeling that Africa was their 1st mission idk.. that whole plane/Africa scene is off to me... in one shot it seems as if theyve done this numorous times in anouther its like its their 1st time assembled together.. jeez.. who directed this thing sumone fresh outta film school??? wtf...

I didn't like the fact that the Weapon X from X2 was different. I mean The Videogame did a better job then the movie.

Yeah, i don't see why they just couldn't intercut the scenes shot for X2 (the Weapon X scene) with the scenes in Wolverine, and blend them together. It's not like another studio owns the footage. And Wolverine carving a big X in the door to escape was pure cheese. In the flashback from X2 he pushes the door open.....

yea this movie feels like it was geared towards a younger audience and a crowd less familiar or unconcerned with source material... the x-mansion X2 scene alone owns this movies many action sequences which is a shame as movies recently released should be taking it up a notch with action sequences and cgi compared to movies released years ago (imo) not the case here...

Last edited:
Is deadpool in the comics a combination of all the mutants or was that just something for the movie? and I dont understand if the entire body has the unbreakable steel, how could you decapitate someone if the head and spine are covered in the metal?
What the spine is made of doesn't really effect whether or not you can cut their head off. If you look at this pic of a spine, you'll see there are gaps between the bones. The blades simply slide between vertabre and slice through tissue.

05-4_Overall_Spine.jpg

I think they'd have to remove Sabretooth from the movie for that to happen, as Sabretooth represented the savage beast and Wolverine was the man trying not to be a beast.

What the film could have done is show Wolverine doing some brutal killing in the war, and also some way of showing or implying there were many Team X missions.

This would have been fine, at least show the animal he is fighting against, I dont think they would need to remove Sabretooth for this, as he has obviously 'embraced that other side,' at least show the other side Wolverine is fighting against, it wouldnt have taken up that much screen-time.

Yeah, i don't see why they just couldn't intercut the scenes shot for X2 (the Weapon X scene) with the scenes in Wolverine, and blend them together. It's not like another studio owns the footage. And Wolverine carving a big X in the door to escape was pure cheese. In the flashback from X2 he pushes the door open.....

What irked me was that the flashback scene's in X2 were so much better than what we got in Wolverine. In X2, it clearly showed guards trying to restrain Wolverine while he was leaving the tank, Wolverine didnt have this at all. If they had done it differently, but better in Wolverine, I wouldnt have minded the little discrepencies so much.

yea wtf man?? i wanna know why they decided to alter those scenes and cut em down to a few seconds.. i mean isnt that the epitome of his "Origines"??? how he got his claws by who and why?? he was at weapon x bein experimanted on and trained on for months - yet that was the most shortest untouched aspect of his history in the film.. its funny how they pick n choose whats for the fans and wats for the GA.. like "nah they read the comics, fans know how it happned they dont need to see that" ..idiots..

The thought I immediately had was that Stryker was a manipulative, and conniving villain who was prejudice against mutants, and saw them as nothing more than "animals", like lab rats, to be studied and experimented on.

naa, (i think) its because he knows wolverine was a beast of sorts..just as he implied, and we know this, they never really touched on it in the movies but WE know his history, we know hes a bad ass with claws we know he can go into a beastial berserker rage, and we know the most animalistic time in his life was rite after the weapon x surgery when he was in the mountains of canada under the professors training sequences and mental conditioning to become a killer..wearing that helmet and those power packs.. then his subsequent escape and killing just about everyone in the facility and wandering in the wilderness...like a beast.. ever since then hes retained many of those killer instincts and aspects of an animal.. yet the movies dont do a great service of showing much of it with the exception of X2..

Berserker rage totally. The best example of this is when he woke up from his nightmare growling. Why couldn't we have this throughout?

cuz obviously the director thought HIS vision was better .. who knows...

The thought I immediately had was that Stryker was a manipulative, and conniving villain who was prejudice against mutants, and saw them as nothing more than "animals", like lab rats, to be studied and experimented on.

I dont mean to be blunt here Nell or mean any offense at all but I think you have got this one totally and utterly wrong, he doesnt refer to any other mutants in the movie as animals, only Wolverine, and this was for a reason, because it alluded to a past that Logan had were he was indeed an animal and did animalistic things. Stryker only refers to other mutants as mutants or YOU/THEM in the movie.

Why would he later say to Logan also "...you were an animal then, you're an animal now...." Its obvious he was referring to Logan's past when calling him an animal.

naa, (i think) its because he knows wolverine was a beast of sorts..just as he implied, and we know this, they never really touched on it in the movies but WE know his history, we know hes a bad ass with claws we know he can go into a beastial berserker rage, and we know the most animalistic time in his life was rite after the weapon x surgery when he was in the mountains of canada under the professors training sequences and mental conditioning to become a killer..wearing that helmet and those power packs.. then his subsequent escape and killing just about everyone in the facility and wandering in the wilderness...like a beast.. ever since then hes retained many of those killer instincts and aspects of an animal.. yet the movies dont do a great service of showing much of it with the exception of X2..

Agreed, and maybe a bit of X1 as well, but Wolverine should have been the one to show his animalistic side.

wat bothers me most is that this is it.. this was the chance to show all these things we are discussing on film and poof! the oportunity has come and gone and this is what we are stuck with for god knows how many years until they or if they ever do a re-boot of wolverine thats true to source material where this mans specific history and origins are concerned, and i doubt it will happen.. thank god for Barry Windsor Smith's Weapon X comic!!

wat bothers me most is that this is it.. this was the chance to show all these things we are discussing on film and poof! the oportunity has come and gone and this is what we are stuck with for god knows how many years until they or if they ever do a re-boot of wolverine thats true to source material where this mans specific history and origins are concerned, and i doubt it will happen.. thank god for Barry Windsor Smith's Weapon X comic!!

I know what you mean, the fact people are coming up with better ideas here than what was in the screenplay also baffles. Who knows, the writers strike may have been an unfortunate factor.

haha you kno.. ive heard ppl mention that and i wont accept that as an excuse.. that strike was over loooooooooong ago so i dont see how it interfered that much where what we got was a bowl of shhhh.. and im sorry if it got to a point where the strike did effect it they should have waited till they had a really good story.. i mean we come up with better ideas on the spot with us just replying to one anouther.. and these are professional writers?? pfft! im sorry... but no.. this movie just has very poor writing and does Marvel have any say at all in what charecter decisions and directions are made? cuz im sure theres sum ppl at Marvel goin huh?? wtf?

this film has alot of problems. too many if you ask me. i agree with the original posters comments about the missing themes in this film. but the damage is done. i was really dissapointed because i really wanted to like this movie.

i wanted to like this movie as much as i liked Punisher Warzone and Rambo 4.

i think the this film IMO is the worst comic based flick to come out since the whole comic genre of movies started with blade,xmen,& spider man. its a shame. the fact is they just messed up with this film. all of the right elements were in place but they just messed it up. Even the overall structure of the story was good. it was just that they put it all together poorly.

the opening scene should have been longer so that we could understand the relationships better. we should have had more team x moments to flesh things out. more missions. with wolverine being the leader of the team and saberooth 2nd in command. so we could have got something along the lines of the cinematics we have seen in the video game adaptations of the film. wolverine wooping ass and showing no mercy on the enemy. and more action. dominic monagahn's character was a waste. what was the purpose of his character? this film did not need his character. the movie should have shown how logan meets silver fox. not a 6 year jump.

infact silver fox could have been apart of team x and she could have been the one that convinces him to leave the team. and this would create victors motivation to go KILL her. because she TOOK his brother figure away from him. and basically the final battle at the end is between logan and victor but logan owns victor and looses because he is now wolveirne with metal claws. and so now victor wants payback on logan so stryker agrees to ENHANCE victor into the animal man we see in x1. with the reason being that victor wants the power to defeat and kill his brother.

also ryan reynolds (pre-deadpool scars) should have had a bigger role in this movie. he could have been an actual character in the movie so instead of the weapon 11 (barakapool) non-sense. and basically he could have been the comic relief of the film and at the end during the final battle he falls into a fire pit or something or whatever and at the end we see the classic deadpool. maybe brett ratner should have stuck around to direct.

i know that bryan singer and brett ratner are both shaking their heads at this turd of a movie. it happens sometimes with movies. it really doesn't matter if the confirmed sequel is any good at all. this orgins movie just really ruins the x men movie experience for me now. back when x1 came out i didn't mind them changing around the plot because the characerization was always real good. and x-men 3 brings everything to a close. x men 3 is a sci-fi comic epic masterpiece IMO. i hope and pray that this turd movie sets the ground for a complete reboot. a more accurate interpretation of the comics with a new cast and director honestly had they did benioffs original script i think things would have worked out. even with the poor direction.

Gambit,Deadpool,Emma Frost, blob and even the poorly CGI enhanced Patrick Stewart did not need to be in this film. i mean the video game adaptation cinematics are better than this whole film. the very first comic con trailer with the epic orchestral music gave me the impression that this would be the ideal wolverine film we have been waiting for since x men 1. first. i honestly thought that the decision to make wolverine - sabertooth brothers was done to give the film some sort of social commentary on the idea and complexity of sibiling rivalry.

i had thought that the idea was to show that victor was always secretly jealous of logan since he had all the things growing up that he did not. and the whole thomas logan being a child beating father of victor but was secretly angry that logan killed his father. but since the only thing that they had was each other during the was then it would have been a sort of repressed anger/hatred. so when logan quits team x that sets victor/sabertooth over the edge and this is why he KILLS silver fox. so the complex relationship between sabertooth/wolverine would be truly complex. logan hates victor because victor killed his woman - saberooth has always hated logan for killing his father. so it could been a real great element of the film. but that doesn't come off at all.

i hate how they just make up at the end. it was so darn stupid. it felt like the movie was trying to teach a lesson to kiddies about how to resolve a dispute. and i thought the purpose of emma frost was to combine her telepathic-powers with strykers son jason to give wolverine fake memories. this is what happens in the animated series during the pheonix saga. but they screwed everything up. over at ign.com they guys there really talk in great detail why this film sucks so badly.

i actually feel bad for jackman because he is a talented actor with alot of range. i would like to see him go outside of wolverine and take on other challenging roles. but its a shame because this film was hyped so darn much and hugh jackman is at the height of his popularity and then we get this turn movie. its a shame.

the guys over at ign talk about why how bad this movie is check it out

http://stars.ign.com/articles/979/979479p1.html

http://comics.ign.com/articles/979/979839p1.html

Last edited:
yeah i know. i just edited it. sorry. i pasted it and forgot to separate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"