• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Mother gets 12 yr son arrested for opening x-mas present

Morg

Grumpy mod
Staff member
Reaction score
Mother has son arrested

Penalty for unwrapping gifts early: Arrest
After boy, 12, hides his Game Boy, his mom calls police
By Monica Chen · The Herald - Updated 12/05/06 - 12:50 AM

A mother convinced Rock Hill police to arrest her 12-year-old son after he unwrapped a Christmas present early.

The boy's great-grandmother had specifically told him not to open his Nintendo Game Boy Advance, which she had wrapped and placed beneath the Christmas tree, according to a police report.

But on Sunday morning, she found the box of the popular handheld game console unwrapped and opened. When the boy's 27-year-old mother heard about the opened gift, she called police.

"He took it without permission. He wanted it. He just took it," said the 63-year-old great-grandmother.

Both the great-grandmother and the mother asked the boy on Sunday where the present was. The boy replied he didn't know.

When the mother threatened to call the police, the boy went into his room and got the Game Boy, the report stated. She called the police anyway.

Two Rock Hill police officers responded to the home and charged the boy with petty larceny. He was charged as a juvenile and released the same day, said police spokesman Lt. Jerry Waldrop, who added the boy was never held at the jail.

"We wouldn't hold a 12-year-old," he said.

The Herald is not identifying the boy or his mother and great-grandmother because of his age.

On Monday night, the mother said she had her son arrested because she didn't know what else to do.

She had the child when she was 15, the woman said, and has been a single mother struggling to earn a business degree.

She said the boy likes attention and has a history of bad behavior. He has shoplifted from stores and stolen money from her, she said. The boy has also been inching toward expulsion from school, she added, and even punched a police officer last month. He was arrested for disorderly conduct in that incident.

She hoped the arrest would be a wake-up call for him. She dreads getting a phone call someday reporting he's been killed.

The boy "showed no remorse" when the police came, the mother said.

"I'm trying to get him some kind of help," she said. "He's the type of kid who doesn't believe anything until it happens."

Waldrop said the women were seeking help with a problem child. "He is a disruptive, disorderly kid."

Waldrop said he trusted the two responding officers to exercise discretion when deciding whether to arrest the youngster.

"In a case like this, if the parents and grandparents are adamant about it and they feel the child has a serious problem, I can't second-guess what the officers did," Waldrop said.

The mother told police officers that she would have the boy placed with the state Department of Juvenile Justice in Columbia at his court appearance.

Waldrop said he was not aware if Rock Hill police have ever arrested a child for unwrapping Christmas presents early.

"Yeah, it's strange," he said of the case.

Holy ****...

That ladys crazy, besides who gives game boy advanceds anymore?

Kritish said:

I dunno, the kid has done more than opening a Christmas present early.

A Game Boy Advance? And who puts Christmas presents under the tree 20 days before Christmas?

Proof if ever it was needed that 15 is too young to have a kid.

You can arrest people for opening Christmas presents early, if they aren't supposed to?

Damn, I should be in jail by now :(

Who doensn't secretly peek at their gifts early? On the other hand it sounds like the kid doesn't listen to his parents at all and his mom didn't know what else to do.

thewhitequeen said:
Who doensn't secretly peek at their gifts early? On the other hand it sounds like the kid doesn't listen to his parents at all and his mom didn't know what else to do.

I don't ever peek. I suck at not telling people what I've got them though...

I think the woman needs to be arrested for buying the kid an outdated hand held. :o

at the beginning of the article i thought the woman was crazy...once i got further in and saw all the crap this kid has been pulling, i think it was the best thing the mother could do.

Kritish said:

Let's see... his mother's a single mom, 27 years old, and he has a great-grandma who's only 63, one can safely assume that this family has a history of getting knocked up young and unmarried, which means they also probably have a history of being very short on money.

Last weekend, Toys R Us had GBA Micros on sale for 35 bucks. So that's probably all they could afford.

At least that's my guess.

As for why the arrest, simple enough too. Single moms have a hell of a time raising boys. Without a father figure around, boys will fight mom's rules and test the limits as often as they can. The mom clearly needs some kind of disciplinary support, so why not the police? Sounds reasonable enough to me.

So, the kid's already been arrested for punching a police officer? Exactly what point do they hope to impress upon the lad by getting him arrested for petty larceny if the idea of cops or being arrested obviously don't scare him?

jag

Kyalesyin said:
Me too.

Pretty much the first time I talk to a person after I've bought their gift, I end up telling them.
J Alba's Lover said:
is this s**t real? what kind of mom does that?
The kind who has no idea/little means to deal with her misbehaving 12-year old.

Cyclops said:
Single moms have a hell of a time raising boys. Without a father figure around, boys will fight mom's rules and test the limits as often as they can. The mom clearly needs some kind of disciplinary support, so why not the police? Sounds reasonable enough to me.

Batman should adopt him.

thedeadite said:
at the beginning of the article i thought the woman was crazy...once i got further in and saw all the crap this kid has been pulling, i think it was the best thing the mother could do.

Shame public flogging is no longer an option. A few of them would set him straight.

Kyalesyin said:

haha. Yeah me too. I usually tell people as soon as I buy it. Or if I'm making them candy or something I always end up being like "guess what cool holiday craft I doing!"

Arresting a kid for opening an early Christmas present...AWESOME :p

Gotendbz-2 said:
Batman should adopt him.

Batma would totally whip him into shape. He'd be all like "Whateva you can't tell me what to do! I do wha I want!"

and then Batman would kick his ass. Or tell him a sob story about his parents dying.

so . . . it sounds like he knew he what the gift was before it was under the tree . . . the dipshyt gaurdians:

a.) should not have let him know what was in the wrapping in the first place
b.) should have spanked the SHYT out of this little fkr a long time ago, not called the gottam cops . . . c'mon, control your kid
c.) should not have procreated at the age of 15 :o [struggling to earn a bidness degree my arse . . . nice attempt at retaining your dignity though, lady]

Why do they have Christmas presents under the tree already? Hell, why do they already have a tree up? Christmas is 20 days away.

Gotendbz-2 said:
Batman should adopt him.

Hell no. I wouldn't want that kid with advanced weaponry and a cave full of incredibly dangerous vehicles. If anybody should adopt him, it should be one of those boot camp instructors that's always showing up on Sally Jesse Raphael or something.

Man, that kid's gonna need some therapy.

[Joan Crawford] No..early...presents...EVER!!!!!! [/Joan Crawford]

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"