Mufasa: The Lion King

Yeah, it looks as bad as I thought. Same stiff animation with zero facial expressions as the remake that's trying to hard to look "realistic" and certain scenes looked COPIED from the original story (a sequence that looks copied from "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" and what looks like a take on the stampede scene but with elephants.). And given the writer of the remake is writing this too, I have zero faith this'll be good.

And they think it'll make money against Sonic 3 and Lord of the Rings? Dumb move, Disney.
It'll probably still make bank at the box office, unfortunately. I don't have enough faith in the general audience to tap out of these live-action remakes, especially The Lion King.

I think the expressions look better than TLK (2019) they look more like Jungle Book (2016). The scenic shots are beautiful but yes some scenes did look familiar to the original. I’m confused as to what’s going on here especially with Donald Glover, Beyoncé, Seth Rogan, and Billy Eichner returning. Lin Manuel Miranda is their new Menken it seems.

From the moment it started with Elton John's Circle of Life, I rolled my eyes HARD and knew this was an automatic nope,

The animals are immediately more cartoonish in this one so I'm not sure why anyone would say they look the same as the last movie. Anyway, for that alone, it makes it more interesting but that's not going to be enough.

I think the expressions look better than TLK (2019) they look more like Jungle Book (2016). The scenic shots are beautiful but yes some scenes did look familiar to the original. I’m confused as to what’s going on here especially with Donald Glover, Beyoncé, Seth Rogan, and Billy Eichner returning. Lin Manuel Miranda is their new Menken it seems.
I'm assuming they're going to be acting as narrators telling the story of Mufasa.

There are worse ideas out there but I still don't know how anyone can watch this without Mufasa's death flashing like a Vegas billboard in their mind.

One thing I'll give them credit for is this shot:

Screen Shot 2024-04-29 at 10.19.31 AM.png

Why couldn't the key scene where Simba sees a vision of Mufasa have looked more like that in the 2019 version?

Yeah, it looks as bad as I thought. Same stiff animation with zero facial expressions as the remake that's trying to hard to look "realistic" and certain scenes looked COPIED from the original story (a sequence that looks copied from "I Just Can't Wait To Be King" and what looks like a take on the stampede scene but with elephants.). And given the writer of the remake is writing this too, I have zero faith this'll be good.

And they think it'll make money against Sonic 3 and Lord of the Rings? Dumb move, Disney.
Well the previous one did almost 1.7 billion and while I don't think that enough people give a damn this time, I can see why Disney is confident enough that this is still going to bring back some money during holiday season.

I'll watch it but I'm not particularly excited for it.

Hearing Beyonce again....hopefully she improved. BIC....would've preferred an up and coming actress or VAZ get the role.

But we'll see how this goes

Why not use hand drawn animation?
You dare question Disney's insane commitment to these live-action cash grabs?

is-that-a-challenge-lion-king.gif

And to be fair, I'll include the...other one.

the-lion-king-mufasa.gif

It'll probably still make bank at the box office, unfortunately. I don't have enough faith in the general audience to tap out of these live-action remakes, especially The Lion King.
And yet Little Mermaid, one of the better received remakes, financially tanked last year and people SLAMMED the Pinocchio one on D+ against the wall. They want newer stories from Disney again, sequels or otherwise, not remakes.
Beyoncé getting her daughter a role in this disgusts me
It's a bookending cameo. Simba, Nala, their kid, and Timon & Pumba are in this at the beginning and end as the whole movie is told as a flashback. This was confirmed at the last D23. Don't take too much stock in it.

And yet Little Mermaid, one of the better received remakes, financially tanked last year and people SLAMMED the Pinocchio one on D+ against the wall. They want newer stories from Disney again, sequels or otherwise, not remakes.

It's a bookending cameo. Simba, Nala, their kid, and Timon & Pumba are in this at the beginning and end as the whole movie is told as a flashback. This was confirmed at the last D23. Don't take too much stock in it.
Dumbo tanked the same year Aladdin and The Lion King surpassed the billion dollar mark. It all depends on the movie. Also The Little Mermaid had a very good performance in the US and all things considered it performed better than most blockbuster movies last summer.

So…no James Earl Jones as Mufasa?! Who the heck is voicing the Character then?

Dumbo tanked the same year Aladdin and The Lion King surpassed the billion dollar mark. It all depends on the movie. Also The Little Mermaid had a very good performance in the US and all things considered it performed better than most blockbuster movies last summer.
Tell that to the Internet. I love Disney but last year was TERRIBLE financially. If Little Mermaid "technically" didn't flop, then why did most of their output? What's the disconnect?

And if you're wondering why I'm concerned with this prequel, it's because it's being written by Jeff Nathanson, who wrote the remake.

This is the guy who wrecked Mufasa's death scene with THIS added bit that pissed me off:

And lest we forget he also wrote Dead Men Tell No Tales, which tried to pull this nonsense at the end, when if you watch the second and third movies, it makes no damn sense:

Do you see why I'm worried? I don't care how good of a director Barry Jenkins is. A good, even great director can be hampered by a bad script.

For the flop talk surrounding Little Mermaid, it did make close to 300M domestically which is kind of amazing in retrospect. I guess its overseas gross is what hurt it.

This won’t have that issue as Lion King is huge as a brand name worldwide. I don’t think it’ll match the first one of course, but people around the world really do love this world, live-action or not.

True TLM had to go up against Spiderverse, Transformers, and The Flash all released one week of each other.
So…no James Earl Jones as Mufasa?! Who the heck is voicing the Character then?
Umm he’s a kid in this lol. JEJ even sounded too old in the remake.
Tell that to the Internet. I love Disney but last year was TERRIBLE financially. If Little Mermaid "technically" didn't flop, then why did most of their output? What's the disconnect?
Contrary to popular belief randos on the internet dont decide what is and isn’t a flop, the numbers do. TLM wasn’t the gigantic hit Disney wanted but it was profitable after a summer with more competition than any other remake faced. But yes overall it was a bad financial year for them.

For the flop talk surrounding Little Mermaid, it did make close to 300M domestically which is kind of amazing in retrospect. I guess its overseas gross is what hurt it.

This won’t have that issue as Lion King is huge as a brand name worldwide. I don’t think it’ll match the first one of course, but people around the world really do love this world, live-action or not.
Bear in mind, I loved the Little Mermaid remake, but I'm not gonna delude myself. That movie had its opening weekend all to itself and yet I dunno what happened from there. Same with Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, The Marvels, Wish, etc. Part of me wants to say word of mouth had a hand on those but it's really hard to tell with chuds like The Quartering, Geeks+Gamers, Critical Drinker and Mauler and their copycats muddying the waters what's legit criticism and what's people being dicks over gender/race/sexuality/etc. Let's be honest: the line is blurred thanks to people online listening to straight up hate and mistaking that for criticism. Otherwise, I can only think lack of promotion due to the strikes hindered things plus poor trailers.

Lion King has a highly-anticipated Sonic sequel out the same day and a new Lord of the Rings movie the week before. Don't tell me people won't see Sonic instead, especially with that rabid fanbase. LK may do ok, but not against fan-favorites.

True TLM had to go up against Spiderverse, Transformers, and The Flash all released one week of each other.

Umm he’s a kid in this lol. JEJ even sounded too old in the remake.

Contrary to popular belief randos on the internet dont decide what is and isn’t a flop, the numbers do. TLM wasn’t the gigantic hit Disney wanted but it was profitable after a summer with more competition than any other remake faced. But yes overall it was a bad financial year for them.

Exactly.

And when one shows these randos statistical evidence that ‘The Little Mermaid’ was a “disappointment” rather than flopped at the box office, their response is usually the same:

“So? It was woke and I didn’t like it! Therefore flop!!!!”

Basically admitting that their belief is emotional rather than factually based. That their definition of “flop” isn’t financial, but that they didn’t like it.

Lion King has a highly-anticipated Sonic sequel out the same day and a new Lord of the Rings movie the week before. Don't tell me people won't see Sonic instead, especially with that rabid fanbase. LK may do ok, but not against fan-favorites.

Dude lion king is a fan favorite even the verified audience scores for the remake on RT show 88% and an A cinema score. That suggests that though there’s people who were vocal with their dislike (including me) the majority seemed to be quite fine with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"