Mufasa: The Lion King

Lion King has a highly-anticipated Sonic sequel out the same day and a new Lord of the Rings movie the week before. Don't tell me people won't see Sonic instead, especially with that rabid fanbase. LK may do ok, but not against fan-favorites.
Both Sonic and The Lion King are big enough to co-exist at the box office but The War of the Rohirrim won't pose any threat at all to either of them. That one is niche enough to the point that it's a nice surprise that it's even getting a theatrical release at all.

Exactly.

And when one shows these randos statistical evidence that ‘The Little Mermaid’ was a “disappointment” rather than flopped at the box office, their response is usually the same:

“So? It was woke and I didn’t like it! Therefore flop!!!!”

Basically admitting that their belief is emotional rather than factually based. That their definition of “flop” isn’t financial, but that they didn’t like it.
Yeah, honestly, I really think LM could've done better had Spider-Verse and TF not gotten in the way. Last summer was really jammed. It's why Mission Impossible fell off after the first week; it came out right before the Barbieheimer phenomenon.

Doesn't mean the movies are bad per se, just competition.

Both Sonic and The Lion King are big enough to co-exist at the box office but The War of the Rohirrim won't pose any threat at all to either of them. That one is niche enough to the point that it's a nice surprise that it's even getting a theatrical release at all.
We'll, see come the first teaser trailers for both.

Meantime, the remakes are finally winding down thanks to the new management. Snow White (which I'm hyped for) and Moana will be probably the last 2 theatrical ones while we still have Lilo and Stitch for D+. All the others are clearly scrapped (Hercules, Robin Hood, Maleficent 3, Bambi, Jungle Book 2, Aladdin 2 and their weird spin-off, that rumored remakes of Tangled and Frozen and supposedly Princess and the Frog). We could still get Cruella 2 but that's it. Looking forward to stuff like Tron and Pirates returning as well as Jungle Cruise 2 (hopefully) and some newer ideas too!

The one thing I don't see going forward despite the constant pleas of "it's coming, we swear!" is National Treasure 3. It's been far too long and that D+ show was proof its a series nobody cares for anymore.

Last edited:
Well, see come the first teaser trailers for both.
I don't think reactions to trailers are going to make a difference in this case. Even this far away from December, it's a given that families will show up for Sonic 3 and Mufasa, probably more so for the latter because The Lion King as a brand still has a broader audience appeal but both will do well. The War of the Rohirrim sounds like it'll be aimed more towards adults than any of the LOTR or Hobbit movies before it. It could also perform well at the box office but with it being a more obscure spinoff (at least for general audiences) I doubt it'll come anywhere near Sonic or Mufasa.

The animals definitely look more expressive here. Plus it's Barry Jenkins, which is enough for me on its own. I'm also unbothered by black nepotism so props to Bey and Blue Ivy.

I’m more amused that they actually advertise “Blue Ivy”! as if that’s some marketing going to get anyone in the theatre who isn’t already onboard lol

The previous The Lion King was the last of these "live action" movies I watched and I don't plan on that changing. I hope this flops personally so maybe Disney will start making more creativel ly worth while films I will enjoy. If you are excited for this movie, all the power to ya. I hope ya like it. I already know I won't given recent history.

I think this looks better than I expected, but that “no drop of nobility” line about Mufasa when it’s established he was born in the Pride Rock monarchy…
IMG_0032.gif

That line and Lin Manuel Miranda’s songs give me pause. He’s very hit or miss to me.

But glad to see Blue Ivy involved in this.

True TLM had to go up against Spiderverse, Transformers, and The Flash all released one week of each other.

And go up against racism. Stay woke. :o

I don't think reactions to trailers are going to make a difference in this case. Even this far away from December, it's a given that families will show up for Sonic 3 and Mufasa, probably more so for the latter because The Lion King as a brand still has a broader audience appeal but both will do well. The War of the Rohirrim sounds like it'll be aimed more towards adults than any of the LOTR or Hobbit movies before it. It could also perform well at the box office but with it being a more obscure spinoff (at least for general audiences) I doubt it'll come anywhere near Sonic or Mufasa.
You forget the real king of Holiday season.

giphy.gif

He even wears Mufasa's skin. :o

Is it just me or do the effects look a billion times better?

I remember one of the huge let downs was a noticeable decline in quality between Jungle Book and Lion King (or at least to me).

Here, from what they showed it seems to work.

Well, hopefully Jenkins gets a sizeable budget for his Searchlight film after whatever this is.

Why's that?

Blue Ivy is the “nepo baby” hence her getting a voiceover role opposite her mom.

The trailer looks intriguing but the 2019 remake was an uninspired and limp cash in — everything that made the 1994 film great was stripped out of it. Beyoncé was one of the weakest parts of it, you could’ve gotten a seasoned Black voiceover actress to play Nala at a fraction of the price.

While the visuals are a little bit nicer in this one compared to the 2019 film (particularly the snowy scenes), there's nothing interesting here. I'm happy if Barry Jenkins got a significant paycheck for this, but I'd much rather watch anything else than a sequel to the lifeless, utterly misguided The Lion King recreation. That was so bad, one could forget Jon Favreau ever directed good movies.

The previous The Lion King was the last of these "live action" movies I watched and I don't plan on that changing. I hope this flops personally so maybe Disney will start making more creativel ly worth while films I will enjoy. If you are excited for this movie, all the power to ya. I hope ya like it. I already know I won't given recent history.

Yeah.

There are so many public domain stories and legends that could benefit from being a fresh animated or live action Disney film adaptation. Seeing the Mouse House strip mine TLK to the degree that it is now is so disheartening.

I just know they’re going to do the same for Frozen in the next ten years.

Blue Ivy is the “nepo baby” hence her getting a voiceover role opposite her mom.

The trailer looks intriguing but the 2019 remake was an uninspired and limp cash in — everything that made the 1994 film great was stripped out of it. Beyoncé was one of the weakest parts of it, you could’ve gotten a seasoned Black voiceover actress to play Nala at a fraction of the price.

Meh, we got Black is King outta the deal and a whole lotta black folks got to create something actually worthwhile thanks to it.

The sooner people ignore @Arnold Rimmer , the sooner I hope he disappears. Just a series of short sighted, petulant takes that never hold up to a bull**** test.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"