• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Dark Knight My film for the 3rd film in the BEGINS series! BATMAN DUALITY!

the_masked_vigi said:
Dead End could never be put into the category as Brutality or Duality.

Dead End had a short Joker. That was terrible. He's 6' at least (possibly taller based on whatever source you're going by, and he should never be shorter than that) and considering that Sandy Collara (sp?) worked on costumes for Alien and Predator, his film pulled a lot more than it should have. With Sandy's budget, he did poor as well as terrible in the same sentence.

Now in the case of Brutality and Duality, Batman sounds like he had a chicken bne caught in his throat and tried too hard to do the Bale voice. It is possible to talk in a deep voice without overdoing it.

Scarecrow threw what now? Sugar? Cosmetic powder? Cocaine? Whatever it was, I'm sure it fit your budget. I understand that your budget was a factor in your films, but even a fan film takes time. Months even. Not the one month you've spent (I'm sure :rolleyes:) that it took you to film each of these.

Dent was just bad. Harvey Dent is permanently scarred, no scabbed over. Read a comic book, look up an orgin or two. That's within everyone's budget... provided you have a computer of course.

So, not to sound like the many dissenters that you've attracted to your thread (I am one of them) but do try to listen to other comments. People who do not like your films are not telling you to stop altogether, they are trying to push you into making better films, not drive you away. If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

But just so you understand the analogy: If you can't take the criticism, stop making films.

So yeah, Eric, better luck next time; Sandy, stick to costumes and special effects.

Dead End, was actually a budgeted short. That had money. They hired professional actors (arguably not very good ones, but...) This is some high school kids making a fan film, which, IMO, is not usually a good idea. I feel the best way to get started making movies is to make a sketch comedy short or a physchological drama. Something that actually fits the budget you have. That way it looks like you're making a movie about a bunch of high school kids rather than a bunch of high school kids trying to be adults and failing.

P.S. Dead End came out before Bale was even cast. So Clark Batram was not trying to emulate him.

Well at least it wasnt another star wars fan film, haha theres to many of those

kenellard said:
I don't think anyone has actually said serious duke should stop making films, this is what criticism is about, and I think negative comments help alot more than many of the condescending "oh my god this is better than any film i've ever seen in my whole life" comments. Now I'm only assuming you intended to put the movies up on the internet for the purpose of getting peoples honest opinions about them, however if you only want to listen to empty compliments then that is your problem.

Just keep making films, and eventually the praise will come, you do have potential.

The problem is, there is very little criticism in this thread that will be at all useful to SeriousDuke. Criticism is not about making negative comments, which is what half the people here seem to do, nor is it about making compliments that are completely useless to the creator, as most of the other half here seems to be doing.

Criticism is something else entirely.

Criticism is telling the person both what they did well, and what they did poorly. BOTH. Not one or the other.

BOTH.

Moreover, criticism is about making suggestions. You should NOT say, "that part sucked" and not explain WHY you think it failed. You have to say WHY. Always WHY. If there is no why, it is not useful to SeriousDuke. If you tell him you didn't like his work and you don't tell him what the problem was, then there's no way that he can ever learn anything from that.

Likewise, somebody who says, "that was great, keep it up" is not doing anything helpful because they're not saying what he did right, or why they liked it.

He needs to hear what he did well, so he can feel confident in his abilities and understand what works; and he also needs to hear what did not work, so he can understand what not to do next time, and he needs some suggestions that are useful to him. He does not have a lot of money to work with and, from the sound of things, he's just a kid, so anybody who is expecting a higher level of professionalism from him is asking far more than is reasonable. Give him a few years.

And show him a little support, because he needs it. But don't kiss his butt, either. That's just as condescending as a hateful review.

kenellard said:
I don't think anyone has actually said serious duke should stop making films, this is what criticism is about, and I think negative comments help alot more than many of the condescending "oh my god this is better than any film i've ever seen in my whole life" comments. Now I'm only assuming you intended to put the movies up on the internet for the purpose of getting peoples honest opinions about them, however if you only want to listen to empty compliments then that is your problem.

Just keep making films, and eventually the praise will come, you do have potential.

Why do you keep assuming i worked on his films? When in truth all i did was the posters and DVD covers. Now before you go and blast something you dont like of the face of the earth, you could stop a second and think "what did he have to work with?" or "what was the clients request for the posters?" then you might truly get to appreciate the posters.

I have to constantly remind someone here that the design was SD's idea and his pictures that were provided for me to work with were taken by a cellphone camera so in other words it was very low quality to begin with. Thats why one simple (rude) negative word is just very very much like a slap in the face. Im actualy very proud of the work i did on his posters so im not blaming Duke for anything. I wanted you to know there was more to this than what you keep assuming.

Like i said, maybe others do want you to go all "WOWZERS!!!!" all the time. This is not my case, all i want is a constructive comment instead of a one word dumb remark which wont do nothing to help the progression of the artwork. Its more comments like "i dont like this" or "this should be a little higher" , its not that hard. If you can take the time to post in this topic , im shure you could come up with a full sentence. At least thats what i'd expect. I dont know about other artists but comments like "wow" or "it sucks" dont help me one bit to progress in my artwork.

Its so stupid that thinking that people have around here. That idea that because someone posts it online for everyone to view, that atomaticaly they have to expect people to bash it. Pure non-sense! People post their work in order to share it with others and to get points of views on what can be made better. Sometimes people also just do it for the pure fun and appreciation of their skills. They want to share it with everyone else. There will always be those that post them online also to get it seen for opportunities for a career advancement. Still every artwork still deserves a little respect even if its not to your liking, art is art in one way or another. Something the next guy will hate, you might end up liking. Just dont be an a55 about it!

Next time leave the "big" words at home...

EDIT: right on keyser sushi, i see we both were thinking on common ground

millennium movies said:
EDIT: right on keyser sushi, i see we both were thinking on common ground

Hehehe... yeah, I was about to say the same thing to you. :)

I was an Art major in college, but now I'm more concerned with writing. My Mom's a singer. I've been surrounded by one type of art or another all my life, so I get pretty pissed when people slam things without understanding what it is they're looking at or thinking about the circumstances under which it was made.

Context is EVERYTHING.

Keyser Sushi said:
Hehehe... yeah, I was about to say the same thing to you. :)

I was an Art major in college, but now I'm more concerned with writing. My Mom's a singer. I've been surrounded by one type of art or another all my life, so I get pretty pissed when people slam things without understanding what it is they're looking at or thinking about the circumstances under which it was made.

Context is EVERYTHING.

Gold, pure gold what you said. So right in many ways! Now thats a reason why i dont take these boards so serious and i dont post so often. People have no respect around here in most cases. Specialy everytime new members come along.

millennium movies said:
Gold, pure gold what you said. So right in many ways! Now thats a reason why i dont take these boards so serious and i dont post so often. People have no respect around here in most cases. Specialy everytime new members come along.

Thanks. The strange this is, most of these people will rip anything, by anyone - whether the artist in question is SeriousDuke, Sandy Collora, or Christopher Nolan.

There's no pleasing them. Once we accept that, it's easier to deal with it. I used to spend a lot of time defending BB everytime some fanboy complained that it wasn't to his liking. Now I don't even worry about it unless I'm bored. I think complaining makes them happy. Well, maybe not happy, but... something.

I think it's about bitterness for them...

the_masked_vigi said:
Scarecrow threw what now? Sugar? Cosmetic powder? Cocaine? Whatever it was, I'm sure it fit your budget. I understand that your budget was a factor in your films, but even a fan film takes time. Months even. Not the one month you've spent (I'm sure :rolleyes:) that it took you to film each of these.

Dent was just bad. Harvey Dent is permanently scarred, no scabbed over. Read a comic book, look up an orgin or two. That's within everyone's budget... provided you have a computer of course.

Are you trying to state that these films were not made in the time frame SeriousDuke gave us? Because they were, he constantly updated a film journal (type thing) he had, and the "actor" that played Bruce Wayne actually posted on here a few times.

The actor who played Dent was bad, the story around him was not. SeriousDuke made the changes on purpose, he was trying something else - and it stayed in character. Begins did it with Scarecrow, and Ras - Superdude did it with Two Face. The key is they got the character right, no matter how poorly acted (in Dent's case).

Good, good Mr. Socko! I hope you enjoy! Let me know what you think(but make sure you have seen Brutality first)...

As for what everyone is saying... I totally agree. Something stating best.fan.film.ever is not going to help me one bit, nor is someone saying it sucks. Well, why does it suck? And why is this the best fan film ever???

The whole reason I posted on here is just to show you all what I had in myself. I came on months ago posting the script... many thought, how is this guy(little knew I was in fact a teenager) going to make this? And he says he has a $500 budget? Hmmmm... I took my time with the films, I perfected every little thing to my liking-- I even refilmed MANY scenes. This took me nearly a half a year to make(5 months-- filming and editing, not preparations or script writing) and for someone to come on here, saying that I made each film in a month... well, that really hurts. I mean, I could see if in actuallity I did make the films in a month, but that is not the case... It's best to know before you post. And, there are also many fan films that have fallen through... probabally more have fallen through, than more that have been actually made. The films were also filmed together, kind of a Matrix or Back to the Future thing... it wasn't I finished one and then started on the other.

And, I posted the finished films... just to show you all that I completed a goal. And, I am sure proud of it. I have done many things in life and then backed out because I didn't want to continue... or it was too hard. But I stayed close with these films and I completed my goal. It's something I'm really proud of.

And... for the characters... I wanted my own take. I've read hundreds of Batman comics and I know most of the characters like the back of my hand. I wanted to work with them, just as Nolan did for Begins, because after all... this IS a sequel to Batman Begins. And... Two-Face. He was burned with boiling water... he TEARED his face away. His face then scabbed over... the scab would constantly rip, blood would ooze out, causing another scab to form... so, in actuallity it will never actually heal-- unless he gets a medical professional to work with it. And, he didn't have a half-and-half suit... why? Well, Ra's didn't have a green coat... but he was still Ra's... the Scarecrow didn't have his goofy hat, but he was still the Scarecrow. So, I simply worked with ideas and came up with my own. Even though I was doing Batman(an unoriginal character) I still wanted to be original.

I will be posting a video of the premiere soon, just need to finish editing it. Oh, and the premiere went great... 60 people showed up... and enjoyed the show. A few technical difficulties, but nothing to worry about.

~SeriousDuke

it is the best because it is made like what a batfilm would; be like with a EXTERMLY low budget.it is the best because it was done like a movie in a way.

i would like to offer my services as creative consultant on the sequel.at least that is what i think it is.anyways someone you go to for help does script polish ups if neccisary.stuff like that.if you need help come to me in a private message and tell me what you need!.

bdsproductions said:
it is the best because it is made like what a batfilm would; be like with a EXTERMLY low budget.it is the best because it was done like a movie in a way.

i would like to offer my services as creative consultant on the sequel.at least that is what i think it is.anyways someone you go to for help does script polish ups if neccisary.stuff like that.if you need help come to me in a private message and tell me what you need!.
Are you saying that a Batman film is better with a low budget?

I have to violently disagree.

no i meant it's what it would be like with a low-budget.but i would reccomended spending a bit of money on the next film thoughe.

I contributed my feedback a few pages earlier. I don't think you should *stop* doing fan-based work, I think it needs to be more focused and smaller in scope. And maybe try to build some convincing sets (no more suburban houses), nothing major, just create a stronger illusion.

all in all, much respect for getting so much work done. :)

Yeah, I know LobsterCharlie... but, I always love to push the envelope further... and make the next best thing, and see what I can do. Try to make it as jam-packed with stuff that will chalenge me. It's more fun that way.

~SeriousDuke

sorry if i missed most of the convo guys I've been away for a week but somthing caught my eye that i needed to mention to serious juke:

If you have made a film with a copywrighted image/character in it (ie batman for instance) and have not got permission of the respective parties ie (warneer bros and dc). And you have made money out of it then you are leaving your ass open to a serious legal whooping!!!

If you have made money out of it then NEVER, repeat NEVER, show that you have. Espesially on the internet as you never know whos agents are watching/reading/listening - I know this sounds like common paranoia - but it is not!!!!

The guy who made batman deadend almost got sued by those two parties if it wen'rt for a certain disclaimer (I'm unfamilliar with the details)

If you make money fine thats great!!! but NEVER admit it unless you have got a serious law firm to back you up even if it is JUST A FAN FILM.

This probly wont effect you this time but I'd bear it in mind in anything you do!!!

I know i ve mentioned this but i felt it was so important I' mention it again:

NEVER admit to making money out of a copywrited image!!!!!!

Clear? good I'm glad we sorted that out!

SeriousDuke~
Great stuff man. Which character did you play? Or did you just direct? Are you looking into a career in film making? It's nice to see your enthusiasm and love for the mythos shine through in your efforts. Keep it up, and one day you may be a pro.

I watched it and really enjoyed it. It had it's high spots and weak spots. Gordon's stache was really distracting and wouldn't it have been better to get your dad or some old guy to play Alfred? But back to the movie, the story was great but this seemed more like a Tim Burton Batman film because I just got a feeling that the story revolved more around The Joker and Two Face then it did Batman/Bruce Wayne. But thats not a big problem. Batman's costume was decent, good that you used the eye makeup but the cowl did not fit Batman at all. It reminds me of the shot of Batman looking up in Batman '89 where the mask doesn't seem to fit Michael Keaton at all. The Batman voice sounded like a bad version of Christian Bale, but it was not to shabby at times. The scores were very good and the sound effects. I loved all of the fights because of the sound effects of the punches. This is one of few fanfilms that has a decent score and placed properly in the movie. At first I saw the running time of 36 minutes and went "Oh Lord" but grabbed my attention the entire time. The script was ok, the only good actor worthy of notice was The Joker. But it was definitely his lines that helped, too. Just loved the part about Joker killing the cashier because she overpriced him for a twinkie, Lol. You've got alot of talent, keep up the good work Duke.

Overall Rating: 8/10

Btw, Duke, Where'd you learn to edit? Curious because I too am interested in fan films but I'm too lazy to start.

Mr. Socko said:
I watched it and really enjoyed it. It had it's high spots and weak spots. Gordon's stache was really distracting and wouldn't it have been better to get your dad or some old guy to play Alfred? But back to the movie, the story was great but this seemed more like a Tim Burton Batman film because I just got a feeling that the story revolved more around The Joker and Two Face then it did Batman/Bruce Wayne. But thats not a big problem. Batman's costume was decent, good that you used the eye makeup but the cowl did not fit Batman at all. It reminds me of the shot of Batman looking up in Batman '89 where the mask doesn't seem to fit Michael Keaton at all. The Batman voice sounded like a bad version of Christian Bale, but it was not to shabby at times. The scores were very good and the sound effects. I loved all of the fights because of the sound effects of the punches. This is one of few fanfilms that has a decent score and placed properly in the movie. At first I saw the running time of 36 minutes and went "Oh Lord" but grabbed my attention the entire time. The script was ok, the only good actor worthy of notice was The Joker. But it was definitely his lines that helped, too. Just loved the part about Joker killing the cashier because she overpriced him for a twinkie, Lol. You've got alot of talent, keep up the good work Duke.

Overall Rating: 8/10

Btw, Duke, Where'd you learn to edit? Curious because I too am interested in fan films but I'm too lazy to start.

That, ladies and gentlemen, is the way to do a critique. :up:

lol... thanks for the nice review... perfect!

To all that have been wondering... I played the Joker.

Before these Batman films I had no clue on how to edit. I got an editing program for Christmas, Adobe Premiere Elements 2.0, and read a little out of the book. I was thinking to myself, this is way to hard. I then just messed around with the program, getting a hang of it. That's the best way to learn something, actually do it. So, no previous editing experience.

And, if any are interested, here is a short video that I put together of the premiere. I did NOT make one cent on the films. It all went to the drama department.

(1) http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=4883790
(2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKdfuAta_-w

Enjoy!

~SeriousDuke

I watched few mins ago and acting was ok. I think you got some talent of directing a film I liked Harvey's scars well made sorry that review was short but I enjoyed watching the film.

You did it again!!!!!! you sjouldn't even mention the drama department getting the "FUNDS" this implies you have taken money of the public! LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"