The rare 3rd film that's just as good or better than the 1st or 2nd film in a series

See Cap Run

Civilian
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I want to talk about the rare film series in which the 3rd film is received just as well or better by critics and audiences overall than the 1st and/or 2nd film. I can only think of a few:

1. Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade had a better reception than The Temple of Doom

2. Return of the King had at least an equal reception to Fellowship and Two Towers

3. Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith had a better reception than Episodes 1 and 2

4. Iron Man 3 had a better reception than Iron Man 2

5. Captain America: Civil War had at least an equal if not better reception than The Winter Soldier and a better reception than The First Avenger

Honorary mention of a 4th film (Jurassic World) being received better than the 2nd and 3rd Jurassic Park films.

Am I missing any? (I've not included 2nd films that were better than 1st film as that's a more common occurence).

Discuss!

Last edited:
i wouldn't really count captain america it feels like cheating if you count it lol

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is widely considered to be one of, if not the best in that series. It was more highly praised than the first two films.

IM3, TDKR and POTC: AWE are the only ones that do it for me.

I didn't really enjoy them all said and done, but ROTK and ROTS were at least on a level with their predecessors.

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban is widely considered to be one of, if not the best in that series. It was more highly praised than the first two films.

:up: You're right, I didn't think of that. It was considered to bring the HP films to a higher echelon of quality than the Chris Columbus films and IMO it is the best HP film.

The Bourne Ultimatum is often regarded as the best of the Bourne films.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly is the best of the Dollars Trilogy.

Mission: Impossible 4 and 5 are more popular than 2 and 3. Especially 2.

Every Fast and Furious movie after 3 was better than 2 and 3.

Goldfinger? It is the third James Bond movie with Sean Connery. Also Skyfall, by the same logic.

Toy Story 3 also comes to mind.

Before Midnight. :awesome:

The 3rd Indiana Jones is better than the second one.

-Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade

-The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

-Return Of The Jedi

-Batman Forever(It was not as bad as I remembered when I last watched it. I enjoyed it.)

I'm sure there is more.

[YT]lhckuhUxcgA[/YT]

:oi'm one of the few that like jedi more than empire
raw

The Search For Spock >>>>>>>>>> The Motion Picture
Beyond >>>>>>>> Into Darkness

Goldfinger and Skyfall seem to be considered better than their 2 predecessors. Though i honestly find From Russia With Love superior to Goldfinger.

Star Trek Beyond has been much better accepted by fans of the franchise than Abrams's entries in the series.

Police Story 3 also seems pretty acclaimed. Quentin Tarantino even considers it one of his all-time favorites.

The thread begins and ends with these crazy bastards:

latest

As for the rest:

Iron Man Three is one of Marvel's best films.
Revenge of the Sith is still my third favourite Star Wars film behind ANH and ESB.

Revenge of the Sith is the third prequel, and the best of that trilogy.
Back to the Future III is better received than BttF II.

I just saw that they're planning a third "Shanghai Noon" movie.

I have faith that it will be just as unfunny and boring as the first two.

Oh yeah, definitely forgot about BTTF Part 3. I prefer it to Part 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"