Netflix orders modernized 'Haunting of Hill House' from Mike Flanagan

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
Netflix Orders TV Series Adaptation Of ‘The Haunting of Hill House’ Book From Mike Flanagan, Amblin TV & Paramount TV
Netflix has given a 10-episode straight-to-series order to an untitled horror drama series from genre filmmaker Mike Flanagan (Ouija: Origin of Evil, Oculus, Hush), Steven Spielberg’s Amblin TV and Paramount TV.

The project is a modern re-imagining of Shirley Jackson’s classic 1959 novel, The Haunting of Hill House, considered one of the best ghost stories of the 20th century. It originated with Amblin TV’s Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey, fans of the book, who tracked its rights to Paramount Television. Flanagan was tapped to write, direct and executive produce and his producing partner, Trevor Macy, to executive produce a potential TV series adaptation. The pitch was sold to Netflix for development, which led to the straight-to-series order. Frank and Falvey also executive produce.

tumblr_oo74dj8Hba1qjmus3o2_540.gif

This is going to be scary as hell, I bet. Very nice.

I am definitely interested in this. The original movie was pretty good, I thought.

This sounds like a good idea. Netflix can churn out a really good haunted house horror series without the worries of satisfying advertisers over too much blood, gore or violence and nudity.

This is going to be exemplary. Mike Flanagan is awesome.

Those pics look nice. I've read Shirley Jackson's novel a couple of times, and Robert Wise's 1963 adaptation is one of my very favourite haunted house movies. The less said about the 1999 version the better.

I'd completely forgotten about this so it was a very nice surprise to find out that it's coming out in October.

My only nitpick so far is the house. It seems a bit small. I always think of a Biltmore size mansion. But the smaller mansion may be fine for this story. I'm hoping the interior sets will seem large. Too large to fit in the house. And that the characters notice it. That would add to the weirdness of the house.

Kubrick did that with the Overlook in his Shining. Windows and hallways and room proportions dont line up with the Overlook's exterior.

Last edited:
Surprised they didn't show off the spiral staircase.

Apostle and this releasing on the same day? Yes please.

Looks worth a watch. :D

Looks like he's deviated quite a bit from the original book and/or movie.

Honestly, it looks as CGI-reliant and unscary as the 1999 version. The 1963 original is a masterclass in making a haunted house movie.

Mike Flanagan? sign me the f**k up. The man knows horror.

Also two things...
1. Cool he brought back his regulars (Carla Gugino, Elizabeth Reaser, and Kate Siegel).
2. Also cool they got Aaron Rodgers. :o

Never read the book or watched the old movie, but this looks appealing to me.

Looks promising. In Flanagan I trust.

This Friday.

Watching the first episode now. :D

Three episodes in and I'm loving it. I can see me binging the rest of this easily. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"