Netflix's Live-Action Avatar: The Last Airbender General Discussion Thread

Not a surprise, but still good news nonetheless. I liked the live-action show overall despite its glaring issues and hope they can smooth over the rough edges with the writing with these upcoming seasons. The child actors should be able to improve as they get more comfortable in the roles.

And they better do this character justice or we riot!

252912658-tumblr_mh1hozgYo81rzxujso5_r1_500.gif

Last edited:
Good! Smart thing to do.

Now keep it up with giving it 20 episodes as opposed to 16.

Just watched this video- what a great reaction from the cast. I may not have seen this series yet, but I imagine they're overjoyed not just at the two season renewal, but the quickness in which it happened.

Her blind jokes alone should provide some entertainment.

giphy.gif
Calling it right now, they're going to do away with the blind jokes. No way they're going to have a disabled character spout self-deprecating jokes about their disability, very problematic and disrespectful notion to have in modern times. :o

As for the season 2 and 3 announcements, I hope they do actually improve a lot of the constructive criticisms provided. Also hoping they give more of the main characters better material and direction to work with, but that's probably being a bit too optimistic on my end.

That’s cool that they got a two season renewal. Happy for the cast and crew. I’m probably going to binge this on the weekend after I finish watching One Piece.

I’m glad this got renewed for two seasons. The show has warts on it but overall its very enjoyable and its heart is in the right place so i’m happy it will have the opportunity to improve.

Really enjoyed the first season and S2/3 of the original were also a big improvement. Happy they actually get to finish it!

I'm surprised Sokkas actors' possible lie about his heritage hasn't gone mainstream again.

I usually don't come to a conclusion on this sort of thing unless there's verifiable, undeniable proof that this is the case. I'm not sure if that subject will ever be brought with Ian Ousley himself or Albert Kim, but shedding some actual clarity on it would be nice.

Just wanted to say, as a day 1 fan of The Last Airbender (that is, the animated series) I thought they did a pretty solid job with adapting the story, of course the animated series is superior, but this is a good adaptation that will hopefully lead normies to check out the animated series. Yes, some things are different, and out of order, but it wasn't enough to bother me.

I do wish Iroh was a bit more lighthearted, he's a little too stoic in this series. Yes, he will still mention tea and what not, but he is the one casting choice I'm sadly not sold on. Everyone else is pretty great.

I was also a day 1 person who saw the live action movie... now that was terrible lol.

Also, have we ever found out what the reason(s) the original creators dipped out on this?

Supposedly creative differences, which given some of the major changes this show made, could explain why.

Supposedly creative differences, which given some of the major changes this show made, could explain why.

What choices (in your opinion) do you think would cause the original creators to leave?

Also, do we get The Rock as The Boulder next season, or what? Lol.

On one hand, I feel making Aang mostly humorless and serious throughout the season could have been one of the reasons why they decided to bail. The showrunners here downplayed the joyful and childish part of his personality way too much, unfortunately so since Gordon Cormier in interviews and BTS stuff acts exactly more like OG Aang than in the actual show, which I feel reflects on poor direction and writing. I personally get what they were trying to do, but there needed to be more of a balance with his characterization.

Making Katara who in the original show was a headstrong, assertive, feisty yet loving character into a mostly passive shy girl who stands around doing nothing half the time was also a call that could have turned off Michael Dante DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko. Kiawentiio had some glimpes of OG Katara in a few moments, but she underacted the majority of her scenes (which I don't think is 100% her fault) and by comparison, OG Katara is a much stronger female character.

There are more, but as of right now, these are two likely options that stuck out to me.

On one hand, I feel making Aang mostly humorless and serious throughout the season could have been one of the reasons why they decided to bail.
The rumor has been for a while now that those deviations were something the original creators agreed on it. In fact, there were some low-level scoopers who mentioned that they wanted to change their own story much more by aging up the characters etc.

Word is that Netflix did not want to take that risk again for fear of backlash. Especially, after making that mistake a few times previously. The original creators weren't interested in simply making the same series for the second time.

Notably, DiMartino and Konietzko are still credited for teleplay/story on the two episodes of the series that arguably diverge the most.

From what I've seen, its a complicated situation.
As long as he has a DNA test to confirm it, he can get one of the major Cherokee tribes to administer one.

As long as he has a DNA test to confirm it, he can get one of the major Cherokee tribes to administer one.

The complicated part is that he is part of a unrecognized tribe by the federal government. And then you are getting into inter-tribal politics, which just a glance at is rough at times.

The complicated part is that he is part of a unrecognized tribe by the federal government. And then you are getting into inter-tribal politics, which just a glance at is rough at times.
Is it the tribe in Kentucky? Apparently they allow anyone to apply and join?

If there's one change I'd love, it's definitely putting more of a focus on the repercussions of the Earth Kingdom's nefarious movements. I can also imagine that they'll have Joo Dee be more of a prominent character who breaks out of her conditioning.

If there's one change I'd love, it's definitely putting more of a focus on the repercussions of the Earth Kingdom's nefarious movements. I can also imagine that they'll have Joo Dee be more of a prominent character who breaks out of her conditioning.
The whole subplot made me uncomfortable. Then again so do all brainwashing plotlines.

Yeah, there was never a concrete resolution to that subplot which I think this version will probably have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"