The Last Airbender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galactus

Devourer of Worlds
Reaction score
Source: Variety January 9, 2007

According to Variety, M. Night Shyamalan and Paramount are planning their own "Avatar" project, based on the popular Nickelodoen kids TV series.

The filmmaker has signed a three-picture deal with Paramount's MTV Films and Nick Movies to adapt the animated children's series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" for the big screen. He will write, direct and produce the potential kids franchise. The film version will be live-action.

Nick TV's "Avatar" follows the adventures of the successor to a long line of Avatars who must put aside his irresponsible ways and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water, Earth and Air nations. The show was created by Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko.

The trade adds that Paramount confirmed the deal with Shyamalan just hours after 20th Century Fox announced it has given the green light to James Cameron's Avatar.

Although they may have the same name, the two projects have nothing to do with each other in terms of storylines. Cameron's is a sci-fi action-adventure that he's been working on for 11 years.

Paramount said it has registered the name of its project with the Motion Picture Association of America. A Fox rep said, "We own the movie title 'Avatar.' There won't be another film called 'Avatar' coming from anyplace."

Looking forward to this. Hope Night doesn't sacrifice too much action for introspection.

I have never seen the TV Show. We will probably get a twist at the end.:whatever:

That's great, hopefully this will help pull him out of the rut he's been in with his last two films.

A Fox rep said, "We own the movie title 'Avatar.' There won't be another film called 'Avatar' coming from anyplace."

They really can't back that up. "Avatar: The Last Airbender" they can protect, but just the title Avatar they can't really do anything about. There are several movies with the same title, from different companies and different plots.

Well technically Avatar The Last Airbender has been a cartoon for awhile before Fox decided to do the movie Avatar.
Anyways Paramount could rename it The Last Airbender and have the word Avatar in the movie.

I however have seen the cartoon. This could work really well if they cast right. Keep the characters in tact. I so wish they would do a Inuyasha live action film. Time will tell but i think Alfonso Cauron would have been better. M.Night can be a bit creepy with his stuff. Especially for afilm based off of a kids cartoon.

so essentially, they have a s**t director/writer who's only done one good movie to date (Unbreakable), who relies on the same stupid gimmick which has gotten worse and worse in every movie he's done (the twist ending), doing an adaptation of a s**ty anime show from a s**ty network who are pretty much notorious for canceling every good show that comes on (Invader Zim, etc.) in favor of mindless, unfunny garbage...yeah, sounds like a real winner :rolleyes:

so essentially, they have a s**t director/writer who's only done one good movie to date (Unbreakable), who relies on the same stupid gimmick which has gotten worse and worse in every movie he's done (the twist ending), doing an adaptation of a s**ty anime show from a s**ty network who are pretty much notorious for canceling every good show that comes on (Invader Zim, etc.) in favor of mindless, unfunny garbage...yeah, sounds like a real winner :rolleyes:
It will be. :o

Kids will flock to this **** with parents. :rolleyes:

According to Variety, M. Night Shyamalan and Paramount are planning their own "Avatar" project, based on the popular Nickelodoen kids TV series.

The filmmaker has signed a three-picture deal with Paramount's MTV Films and Nick Movies to adapt the animated children's series "Avatar: The Last Airbender" for the big screen. He will write, direct and produce the potential kids franchise. The film version will be live-action.

Nick TV's "Avatar" follows the adventures of the successor to a long line of Avatars who must put aside his irresponsible ways and stop the Fire Nation from enslaving the Water, Earth and Air nations. The show was created by Michael DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko.

The trade adds that Paramount confirmed the deal with Shyamalan just hours after 20th Century Fox announced it has given the green light to James Cameron's Avatar.

Although they may have the same name, the two projects have nothing to do with each other in terms of storylines. Cameron's is a sci-fi action-adventure that he's been working on for 11 years.

Paramount said it has registered the name of its project with the Motion Picture Association of America. A Fox rep said, "We own the movie title 'Avatar.' There won't be another film called 'Avatar' coming from anyplace."

Shyamalan really needs this I guess but what is the other Avatar movie about?

I believe it has it's own thread in this very forum. Something about a jungle or something and CGI. :o.

Ok, Cameron hasn't made anything for a while but Shyamalan can't get a break.

You make films like the Village and Lady in the Water and that tends to happen. :D

I argee about the Village but Lady in the Lake didn't look so bad. The Village could have been good but it just wasn't quite up to it because of the story. With Avatar hopefully he can do something that makes kids think while making it for everyone.

I think its about time he tried an adaptation. I don't think he's ready for the sfx that it'll take to make Avatar though...just my thoughts.

So what's James Cameron's Avatar then?

when he did the same **** it was wrong. now he wants to make it different and again it is not right.

:csad:

I've only seen a couple episodes of the show and it was pretty good, I've always thought this would make a good live action movie. I'm not big on remakes and adaptaions but I'm looking forward to this one.

AH ****! why the **** didn't they just let Aaron and Elizabeth Ehasz to do it? There doing a fine job writing the series. The only film of M. Knights that I like was Unbreakable. Damn it.:cmad:

*puts on Darth Vader mask*
NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Why? WHY?
When they got a good thing going, nickelodeon always has to screw it up.
I expect Avatar to go downhill after the film comes out...it's what always happens when Nickelodeon makes a film of a still running TV series.
ARGH!!! If was any one but M. Night, I'd be somewhat optimistic.

You know, this could be a good thing for Shyamalan. Doing someone else's work on a project where Paramount expects sequels and will no doubt be supervising him very closely following the Lady in the Water fiasco. It could knock his ego down a few notches.

As for what he's adapting, I've never seen it, so I dunno. Is it his style?

I don't see how you can bring Avatar to the screen as a live action film...It just doesn't seem to work for me.
And to answer your question Matt, no I don't think it is his style.

I don't see how you can bring Avatar to the screen as a live action film...It just doesn't seem to work for me.
And to answer your question Matt, no I don't think it is his style.

The amount of CGI that might be used with some of the battle scenes would be insane.

I seriously doubt Night has anything to do with directing these but it could be good having his name behind it for the sake of the property being taken relatively seriously. And he simply doesn't have the chops to direct a dynamic action story like this. His camera shots and direction is extremely boring and not suited to anime-like cartoons. But again putting his name behind it may give the project weight similar to Spielberg backing Transformers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"