New Exorcist?

Can't take anyone who says this is worse than Heretic seriously.
Not what I said.

And what I mean is that Blatty was obviously a very devout Catholic and went so far as to say that he'd hoped The Exorcist would either make believers of those who didn't believe, or rekindle some semblance of faith in lapsed Catholics, etc. This film featuring Ellen Burstyn's character using a variety of world religions in order to cast out the demon seems to fly in the face of what Blatty wrote with the original and sounds even more hokey new-age spiritualism than even The Heretic was.

Somehow I don't think Believer will pull the same numbers.

Somehow I don't think Believer will pull the same numbers.
What I mean is this releasing so early digitally is not a sign of a poor performance in the box office, but has more to do with Universal's questionable streaming strategy for horror flicks this time of year, hence the Halloween example.

But do you really think it will be that far off the last two Halloween films? Ends made 105 million. Believer had a relatively strong opening at 45 million and it still hasn't opened in numerous countries. I think it will get close.

In the end, the film won't be a disaster financially, so you are getting that trilogy.

This film won’t be but they paid $400M for the rights
Yeah that was crazy. You know what else is dumb? Netflix paying almost 500 million just for the rights of two Knives Out movies and not even releasing them in cinemas like every other streaming platform is doing now. These people were just burning money the previous years and they wanted actors and writers to pay the price.

As I said, the box office for this one is not that bad. And they paid enough for the rights that they kind of have to try to make it up with the sequels.

Any chance David Gordon Green is still going to be attached to Deceiver despite the reception?

Yeah I think he's out probably. Even his two previous horror films were divisive, but this one really disappointed people it seems. I personally had a fine time with it and would like to see him return but I think it's kind of unlikely at the moment.

Been coming across articles saying it’s a big chance he isn’t coming back.

I'm a big defender of DGG's Halloween sequels, I actually wish they'd gone far harder on the aspects that pissed people off because those were the best parts of those movies but this was such a limp effort. Wish a lesser director it would have been pure garbage whereas DGG at least made it look pretty good but I still feel like this could have been helmed by just about anyone. Pretty anonymous stuff.

Why anyone thought this IP was worth 400 million is beyond me. I don't think anyone on the creative side of this has actually seen the original film. It feels like wrote script based on The Exorcist's reputation rather than the film itself.

Deadline mentions in their box office write up something that’s been rumored for some time in Hollywood. Leslie Odom Jr disappeared from the set mid-way through filming and refused to return.

Which is why they have massive incentive to make the other two movies.
Given the criticism it’s gotten (at least online which might exclude the general public) and if DGG is out, they should bring a creative team that would place people back in seats for the next two sequels in order for this not to be a potential financial disaster or mere waste.

Deadline mentions in their box office write up something that’s been rumored for some time in Hollywood. Leslie Odom Jr disappeared from the set mid-way through filming and refused to return.

That's a hell of a thing for them to just gloss over. I'm more interested to hear what caused that

Given the criticism it’s gotten (at least online which might exclude the general public) and if DGG is out, they should bring a creative team that would place people back in seats for the next two sequels in order for this not to be a potential financial disaster or mere waste.

No matter who they bring in, I don't think it's going to change much. The Exorcist just doesn't have much mileage in terms of being a franchise & there's only so much you can do with the concept before you're just redoing what's already been seen before, except in a more edgy and far less effective manner.

The best option would be to not even make the other two sequels. It's only gonna get worse from here.

That's a hell of a thing for them to just gloss over. I'm more interested to hear what caused that
I mean as far as I know, he just had a health issue in December. Haven't seen anything about a mysterious "disappearance" and refusal to return

That was to no one's surprise. Believer did well in the box office, but audience hated it so it would be very difficult to convince them to return to a direct sequel to that. I personally liked the movie and would like to see Green take another swing at that but it is what it is.

Curious if they’re just throwing out the whole plan they had for the next two films and going in a whole nee direction for the sequel, or will Green’s original intended story still stick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"