• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Sequels New Mutants

Hypestyle

Superhero
Reaction score
I say that it's time to retire the "Gen 1" film characters after this latest film. The next film can focus on the New Mutants, and eventually transition into X-Force. None of these characters have really been dealt with at all, with the possible exception of some easter-egg names on screen or glimpsed cameos by extras made up to look a certain way. We'll see whether this "Warpath" is interchangable with the original Thunderbird. [it may have been worth simply reinterpreting Forge as a teen technopath]

Cannonball
Sunspot
Mirage
Warlock
Wolfsbane

---
Meltdown
Rictor
Rusty Collins
Skids

Cable
Shatterstar
Feral

I wouldnt say 'No' to this, as long as its done after 2020 :D

Still would like to see a tv show on this team. Most these comic stories are better suited for a season format anyways.

I wouldnt say 'No' to this, as long as its done after 2020 :D
:down

This would flop and it wouldn't help the X-Men movie franchise. It just wouldn't be as successful compare to the original trilogy.

Still would like to see a tv show on this team. Most these comic stories are better suited for a season format anyways.

:down

hahaha, lets be honest, def, next year is 2014 already, so if Fox decides to do more team movies, the original cast/FC cast will be priorities before a new mutants movie. Same as Deadpool. I see a Deadpool movie before a New mutants one, and we could say his fans would appreciate it more.

A new mutants movie could come easily later, next decade, no need to do it now at all.

Fans shouldnt worry, next decade will be more diverse.

Next decade, FOX should start preparing to end the series and a few years later, develop the reboot.

hahaha, lets be honest, def, next year is 2014 already, so if Fox decides to do more team movies, the original cast/FC cast will be priorities before a new mutants movie. Same as Deadpool. I see a Deadpool movie before a New mutants one, and we could say his fans would appreciate it more.

Oh yeah, I think Deadpool will be announced way before a New Mutants flick.

I just want one of these non main team films (before 2020) and Ill be happy. Nothing is confirmed past DofP so I wouldnt say anything is certain. Franchise isnt exactly predictable ya know haha?

of course we dont know yet...

but with DOFP more than likely being huge, Fox wont say "bye" to both casts, so its highly likely they will do another team movie with one of these casts.

A new spin-off is possible, for sure, but maybe a solo movie is more likely than a third team cast.

As long as they give me something new not involving Brian Singer and showing off the X-Men Universe some more. Ill be stoked.

oh, I get your point then

no Bryan Singer movie... :D

sooner or later Fox will sign a new director for one of the spin-offs, so its just a matter of time.

Singer should continue with the Main Cast, while the new directors can handle the spin-offs.

If Dofp is good I have no problem with Singer continuing the main series. But yeah wants some new blood here somewhere.

Agreed. Singer can only do so much. Fox's plans are bigger then just one man. DoFP will hopefully be the domino that gets it all started.

If Dofp is good I have no problem with Singer continuing the main series. But yeah wants some new blood here somewhere.

yeah, and Singer can still be the head of the franchise, as the main consultant regarding new movies and spin-offs. To create a shared universe and respect the characters he wants to use later in his team movies.

yeah, and Singer can still be the head of the franchise, as the main consultant regarding new movies and spin-offs. To create a shared universe and respect the characters he wants to use later in his team movies.

I'm not sure this is how the structure is set up going forward. They (Fox) have only really depended on Singer in the past, but in an expanded universe going forward I'm not sure this will be the case. That's why they hired Millar. They don't have a Feige at Fox where the studio head is a fan of the material, so I'm sure it will be more collaborative. Not to say it isn't at Marvel, just that Feige is the driving force from a big picture standpoint. Fox will likely attempt to replicate the gameplan looking ahead, that's all we can pretty much say for sure.

Last edited:
Yeah, We know they are talking multiple films with Millar. And Singer seemed pretty clueless about that for awhile. All of them need to be on the same level so they can map out a clear path for the future, but it's gonna be different people involved. Vaughn himself seems to be landing alot of producing gigs over there.

The Deadpool movie won't be released. Look who they picked as the director and its been on hold since last year. If FOX wants to release it, they would give the film a release date already. And since there's no expiration date when it comes to Deadpool since he's part of the X-Men deal, they have no big reason to just release the movie unlike with the Fantastic Four.

Anyway, I think FOX should just focus on making great X-Men films and great Fantastic Four films.

I really don't see the point in using the same aging cast for anymore films. Let's take a look:

Cyclops - great casting but crimminally underused in every film and killed off in the last film.

Jean - weak mutant powers in the first film although middle aged, improved in the 2nd film quite a bit then she becomes Phoenix in the last film and dies.

Rogue - only power is the ability to steal some else's power, well used in first film and lame in the next to. Despite her having no real offensive capabilities she is somehow promoted to a the team in the 2nd film where her awesome moments included simmering Pyro's flames and flying the X-jet off-camera. And in the final film she takes the cure.

Ice-Man - excellent casting but doesn't do much except provide a love interests for Rogue in first film, better in 2nd film and finally good use in last film. Still he only ices up once in 3 films and headbutts his opponent.

Xavier - perfect casting but litterly nerfed in every movie, first film Cerebro malfunction, 2nd film mind trap then manipulated into trying to kill everyone, and last film he's killed.

Wolverine - great casting and great development except he's steals the show in every film and the other characters don't get to do anything.

Storm - attempted and failed accent in the first film, crowing moment was using lightning on Toad and Sabertooth. Over all not the best casting or character though she was shown some love by the writers in giving her more screen time the more famous Halle Berry became.
And the only villain worth anything in this was really Magneto. Mystique was just a plot device and received more development in FC than in three films.

Looking at the above list I honestly don't the appeal or draw of the original cast. Most were underdeveloped in the first place. Now they're all older. Why is there a need to bring them back?

Because the cast of First Class didn't so well at the box-office compare to the first four X-Men films? Money matters the most to studios.

Fan-boys will complain about the roles for most of the characters especially like Storm, Cyclops and Rogue but most of the general audience couldn't care less if Wolverine camera hogs and those three aren't close to the comics. People just want to see a good and entertaining film.

We could only hope that Bryan Singer will give those characters more justice since this is the third X-Men movie that he's directing.

Because the cast of First Class didn't so well at the box-office compare to the first four X-Men films? Money matters the most to studios.

Fan-boys will complain about the roles for most of the characters especially like Storm, Cyclops and Rogue but most of the general audience couldn't care less if Wolverine camera hogs and those three aren't close to the comics. People just want to see a good and entertaining film.

We could only hope that Bryan Singer will give those characters more justice since this is the third X-Men movie that he's directing.

This.

WOW, you finally said it!

I agree that no one will complain about Wolverine getting time, but two of the things everyone complained about was Rogues use of powers and the lack of Cyclops. Those two are very well known and are very mainstream complaints.

And as if I don't want to see a good/entertaining movie.

A X-Men 5 movie could be awesome if it turned out to be a good and an entertaining film and it will sell lots of tickets compare to First Class.

Last edited:

You also need to realize that Hugh Jackman turned Wolverine into a popular character for the film franchise. Before the first film most people other than comic fans only knew the character from the cartoon or not at all. Hugh Jackman was a great choice and the film launched his US career. Now he's considered a solid actor and he plays Wolverine. That doesn't mean that the only reason people watch these movies is bc of Wolverine. They've been groomed that way. Every movie has featured him while the other characters are in the background so a movie without hm may just seem odd to regular people. But FC got solid reviews especially regarding Fastbender's performance. He stole the show the same way Jackman did and he's gained notoriety for it. Oftentimes the launching movie of a franchise only doe so well because people aren't familiar with it or may way to see it on video. But if it's solid then the follow up film often pulls in bigger numbers. The franchise can succeed without the original cast. What they need is high calibur performances from actors like Jackman and Fastbender to drive the franchise forward.

The only real problem with FC class is the other Beast most of the characters didn't get much development or stand out. Just a bunch of background folks again. If they ever want the franchise to do as well as the Marvel films then they have to find there way to a truly ensemble film with solid performance and great story throughout.

The franchise might get enough money to warrant 2 to 3 films in the future, but business-wise, they shouldn't settle for characters/cast that are less appealing to general audience.

Thats like asking a casual viewer, to pick the cast of Star Trek Generations over the original Star Trek cast.

I get that. But what I'm saying is if Cyclops had been treated as the star of the film and was performed as well as Jackman did for Wolverine they maybe he would be the draw for these films. Remember people didn't know who Iron Man was before his franchise and look at what RDJ's performace did for that character! He's a household name. Now how many people knew who Hawkeye was or the Black Widow? But look at what Avengers did for them! That's how the X-men films should be handled in a way promotes these lesser know but cool characters and will make them a household name.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"