New rule about use of term "racist" or "racism"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jonathan Rhys-Meyers dressed like '70s David Bowie at his most outrageous.

My introduction to John Rhys-Meyers and Ewan McGregor. :atp:

Those are both white men. You racist.

I know as much about him as you do.

Glad to have never made his acquaintance though.

But by saying the public won't accept a gay actor's portrayal I think they're projecting their own feelings and implying something's wrong with the homosexual lifestyle. I don't think there's malicious intent, but it is a little homophobic.

Problem is, this used to be my argument, and I'm definitely not homophobic. I've since moved on and now believe that studios should take the chance on a gay actor, haters be damned, but I can't slam anyone who holds this position as anti-gay.

Problem is, this used to be my argument, and I'm definitely not homophobic. I've since moved on

So in other words, you've evolved. What's changed?

and now believe that studios should take the chance on a gay actor, haters be damned, but I can't slam anyone who holds this position as anti-gay.

You can't, but I can. Sorry the truth hurts. There's different degrees of homophobia. No one is saying this is the same as a hate-filled rant, but it is eye-rollingly ignorant. And if they wanted to turn Superman the actual character gay, I would agree with you since that would be a major change to his backstory. But not wanting a gay actor to play Superman is ridiculous and there's really no justification for such a silly view. I'm glad you've "moved" past it.

So in other words, you've evolved. What's changed?

I've seen polls that really large percentages of young Americans don't have problems with gay people. Even if the box office with a gay actor were to dip a little it might not be as much as some imagine. I also don't believe it's fair to gay actors to penalize them for the opinions of bigots.

I dont think you can chalk it all up to polls. I think you're also probably more open-minded than you used to be. But I think we all are to a degree. Ten years ago I couldn't imagine my parents being for gay marriage, but now my parents, (living) grandparents, friends, they all support it. Hard to find someone who doesn't actually. So we've all evolved I think.

I support and hate on all people equally.

I found out secondhand through my mother that my dad apparently told her recently that my being gay doesn't bother him anymore.

He says this to her, not me, and we still do that awkward dance where it's not directly discussed, but it's something, I guess...

I found out secondhand through my mother that my dad apparently told her recently that my being gay doesn't bother him anymore.

He says this to her, not me, and we still do that awkward dance where it's not directly discussed, but it's something, I guess...

"Sooooo....you still gay?"

"Yes, dad."

"Ok."

*awkward silence*

Sorry Schlosser, hope he comes around. Sounds like he might one day.

"Sooooo....you still gay?"

"Yes, dad."

"Ok."

*awkward silence*

We kinda just skipped that part and cut straight to the awkward silence.

Never was I so weirded out as the day my previously seemingly deeply homophobic aunt gushed about Brokeback Mountain.

I never understood how parents couldn't notice their children were gay. I mean, unless they're like religious fanatics, and the very thought is considered an abomination, and the kid is as repressed as they are.

I never understood how parents couldn't notice their children were gay. I mean, unless they're like religious fanatics, and the very thought is considered an abomination, and the kid is as repressed as they are.

I never quite understood it myself. I'm in a similar but somewhat different position and I was surprised after coming out last week that they claimed to have never noticed, despite the seemingly obvious hints I dropped.

There are actually many children who hide it well from their parents due to shame. When I had my first job, I had a coworker who I had no idea was gay until he felt comfortable enough to tell me. It blew my mind.

I dont think you can chalk it all up to polls. I think you're also probably more open-minded than you used to be. But I think we all are to a degree. Ten years ago I couldn't imagine my parents being for gay marriage, but now my parents, (living) grandparents, friends, they all support it. Hard to find someone who doesn't actually. So we've all evolved I think.

Kinda the same story for me. Like a decade ago I didn't see the need for gay marriage. But that didn't last long and once I got used to the concept I didn't see the issue. And these days I know tons of people who I never would have thought would be in favor of it have changed their minds. The "let people live their lives" attitude seems to be spreading.

Some people aren't flamboyant or embody gay stereotypes. And a lot of gay teens have girlfriends when they're still accepting their sexual identity. I don't think it's that hard to understand. In some cases when it's obvious, yes the parents are in denial. But in other cases I can understand it completely. And I know my parents don't know all my secrets, like the nasty adderall habit I've been trying to kick.

There are actually many children who hide it well from their parents. Also, I'd say the media has pigeonholed the perception of the gay male. When I had my first job, I had a coworker who I had no idea was gay until he felt comfortable enough to tell me. It blew my mind.

Perhaps, but I've known a few who did not, and their parents were dumbstruck. And judging by what I've read, a lot of gay people aren't exactly fooling anyone - except their parents.

Must be something psychological.

Kinda the same story for me. Like a decade ago I didn't see the need for gay marriage. But that didn't last long and once I got used to the concept I didn't see the issue. And these days I know tons of people who I never would have thought would be in favor of it have changed their minds. The "let people live their lives" attitude seems to be spreading.

Yeah, when I was younger, there was a time when I thought it was weird and/or nasty. Being gay still as a stigma now, but it was worse ten years ago, and so on. What really opened my eyes was during my first job when some of my coworkers and I would hang out. Then one day, my one coworker told me he was gay. It blew my mind because he didn't fit the stereotype. People are becoming more and more tolerant everyday.

Perhaps, but I've known a few who did not, and their parents were dumbstruck. And judging by what I've read, a lot of gay people aren't exactly fooling anyone - except their parents.

Must be something psychological.

Yeah, I'd say it's denial which may or may not be coupled with wishful thinking that they're son might just be a little more feminine than usual (or their daughter is a little more masculine). Honestly, I've met feminine guys and masculine girls who actually aren't gay.

Unless you're talking about guy who has pictures of half-naked men all over his walls, for example. His parents are stupid as s*** if they can't see that.

Yeah, I'd say it's denial which may or may not be coupled with wishful thinking that they're son might just be a little more feminine than usual (or their daughter is a little more masculine). Honestly, I've met feminine guys and masculine girls who actually aren't gay.

Unless you're talking about guy who has pictures of half-naked men all over his walls, for example. His parents are stupid as s*** if they can't see that.

Dad: Ah son... Ah been meanin' to talk to you about all these.... pictures on your wall. It's making your mom and I a bit... uncomfortable.

Son: Dad, I told you! It's for an.... art class. I need them up there for my... studies. You want me to get a good grade, right?

Dad: Oh. Well, yeah of course. Well in that case... ah, dinner's on the... um.... yeah.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"