New Star Trek Series

Picard Sisko

Prepare to be Assimilated
Reaction score
I have heard a lot of talk about a new Star Trek series, and how it would happen after the release of Star Trek Into Darkness. What do you guys think?

First of all, it must take place in the original timeline, not the alternate JJ Abrams one he created for his movies.

But my question to you guys is when? Should it take place in between Enterprise and TOS, in the 24th century around TNG/DS9/VOY, or much after? Perhaps the 25th century?

I LOVE Star Trek, and hope to see the franchise continue to grow. Although the Abrams Trek is very different, it brought it back to life, and created a new generation of Star Trek fans. I think they should do something different though. We've always seen shows about individual ships or space stations, but what about just a Starfleet show? Any ideas?

Original timeline, post-Nemesis. Show something that has never been shown before. Focus on Section 31.

That would be really cool! There were so many ideas introduced in DS9, such as Section 31, that were never really explored.

I'd rather see an "Enterprise B" series stemming from the alternate timeline; it's one thing to have had TOS movies and TNG series co-existing, but the alternate timeline seems so pervasive, considering how good and popular Star Trek 2009 was, that it would be confusing to have another TV series based on the Bermanverse running alongside the Abramsverse films.

That would be really cool! There were so many ideas introduced in DS9, such as Section 31, that were never really explored.

I've been watching Star Trek a lot since the 2009 movie. Before that, I only occasionally watched reruns of the original series and TNG when they were on. But now I'll watch some of the other shows via Netflix. Voyager, I don't care for. DS9 isn't great but it has a lot of cool ideas that aren't ever really fleshed out. I think that Section 31 is one of them. 24 meets the Star Trek-verse could be a really cool, really high concept show. I'd love to see it.

I'd rather see an "Enterprise B" series stemming from the alternate timeline; it's one thing to have had TOS movies and TNG series co-existing, but the alternate timeline seems so pervasive, considering how good and popular Star Trek 2009 was, that it would be confusing to have another TV series based on the Bermanverse running alongside the Abramsverse films.

They could set it a hundred years or so after TNG and I don't think anyone would really notice.

I've been watching Star Trek a lot since the 2009 movie. Before that, I only occasionally watched reruns of the original series and TNG when they were on. But now I'll watch some of the other shows via Netflix. Voyager, I don't care for. DS9 isn't great but it has a lot of cool ideas that aren't ever really fleshed out. I think that Section 31 is one of them. 24 meets the Star Trek-verse could be a really cool, really high concept show. I'd love to see it.

TOS is just classic, even if it is dated. TNG is the best IMO, especially mid-way through season 3. DS9 is fantastic IMO, and they actually do flesh out of a lot of ideas overall. Its just that the show ends at a point where there was still so much more to tell. But great characters, and more story arcs!

Voyager has some episodes I really like, and lot that I really hate. Enterprise had some really cool stuff in its final season (like explaining why the Klingons had to ridges during TOS).

They could set it a hundred years or so after TNG and I don't think anyone would really notice.

I don't know, the absence/presence of Vulcan would be a major difference.

Or at least it should be. One thing that always bugged me about the Star Trek shows is that they created some of the most iconic alien races in all of popular culture, but tended to ignore their existence for almost an entire series when it did not suit a show. i.e. TNG was all about humans and Klingons, but Vulcans, the people of Mr. motherfreaking Spock, were virtually ignored. Ditto x 3 for DS9. Voyager and Enterprise had more Vulcan content, but no Klingons. (B'Elanna, the bland half-Klingon from Lynnwood, Washington doesn't count. She didn't even make for an interesting human.)

I would love to see a Star Trek series featuring a real Vulcan AND a real Klingon on the principal cast.

Last edited:
How much can you really do with Vulcans though? They are quite iconic, and I love them, but after a certain point, they would just get boring. Where else would they really fit in TNG or DS9? Klingons were really well done in TNG and DS9 however.

I think it just lets them explore new alien races instead of constantly portraying the same ones over and over again. The star trek universe is very large and expansive.

1. Titan series, with Riker and Troi
2. Post-Nemesis, 25th century series
3. Excelsior-with John Cho as Sulu

How much can you really do with Vulcans though? They are quite iconic, and I love them, but after a certain point, they would just get boring. Where else would they really fit in TNG or DS9? Klingons were really well done in TNG and DS9 however.

I think it just lets them explore new alien races instead of constantly portraying the same ones over and over again. The star trek universe is very large and expansive.

I disagree. Vulcans make great secondary characters (Tuvok is one of the best supporting characters in the Star Trek franchise) and the race itself is full of (at least to us humans) mysticism and as-yet undefined power.

I'm not saying that actual episodes needed to have taken place on Vulcan all the time, but supposedly for one of the superpowers of the Federation, the fact that they did not play a significant role in two consecutive, long-running Star Trek series was kind of strange.

I think the original timeline will never be seen again. It's done. I hope, if the do make a new series that they set it in the Abramsverse. With another ship during ST09 or post-STID doesnt really matter, I would be fine either way. basically I just want more of JJs Star Trek, it's awesome :D

Bryan Fuller's stated his interest in making a new Star Trek series. I would be ALL for that.

Original timeline, post Nemesis. Star Trek needs to move forward.

It would never happen, but my ideal scenario for a new series is that it would pick up ten years or so after Nemesis. Maybe Picard is an Admiral and perhaps Riker or Geordi is captain of the Enterprise E. The first season would be sort of a passing of the torch kind of thing; Giving the TNG guys the proper sendoff they deserve, while setting up a new crew to take over for them in season two and beyond.

I doubt there will be a new series though. At least not in the foreseeable future.

It'd be nice to see a show that wasn't about Starfleet. Starfleet has been the main focus for all of Star Trek. The only slight exception was DS9, which was about Starfleet but also featured personnel from other organizations and civilians pretty prominently, and I always thought that made it really interesting. It'd be nice to explore the non-Starfleet aspects of the Alpha Quadrant. Maybe have a show set entirely inside the Klingon Empire. Or a show about a group of civilian travelers, "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" style.

I'd say do a show set before the new Star Trek. Or just do their own thing.

Old Trek is finished.

Not my idea, but someone pitched a Trek show set on a human extrasolar colony (we see them from time to time, but rarely spend any time on 'em).

Humans living on the frontier, making first contact. I thought that had a lot of potential.

Like, he's four ideas for new Star Trek shows I had:

1: Go traditional. Starfleet vessel on a five year mission to seek out new life and new civilizations. Specifically, a five year expedition to chart unexplored sections of the Beta Quadrant, taking one two and a half year rout in and one two and a had year rout back. Really take advantage of these characters being completely isolated from The Federation for five years. Give it a huge cast, focus on the command staff, sure, but also give a lot of attention to the enlisted personnel and support staff. Season long story arcs could be built around the weird stuff they encounter in these uncharted sections of space, and a lot of attention could be payed to long term character development and relationships. Overall, the show should have a very spooky, mysterious, "age of exploration" style feel to it, with these characters in a confined space exploring the truly unknown. The kind of vibe you get when you read an old map and an uncharted section of the ocean is given the note "Here there be dragons."

2: Abandon Starfleet entirely. The show is about a group of civilian misfits making their way around the Galaxy, exploring it from a completely different perspective than that of Starfleet. A Starfleet Captain may visit the seat of government in the capital city of the Klingon Empire, these guys will visit the crowded city square full of merchants and pickpockets. An old time hero's journey, about simple travelers with a whole universe to explore, with a very Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy feel. Story wise, you could do pretty much whatever you want depending on how adventurous and prone to sticking their noses into things the leads are. Maybe have them get swept up into the politics of the Alpha Quadrant, but very much from an underdog's perspective. I'd see a show like this as being something of a celebration of the counter-culture.

3: Show Starfleet from a different angle than usual. We normally have shows about the flagship of the fleet, or people on important missions. Start this show off chronicling the adventures of a dinky Starfleet salvage ship, patrolling trade routes to help out civilian transports in need of repairs. It's such a bottom-rung job that the ship's Captain doesn't even have the rank of Captain yet, he or she's only a lieutenant. But first episode, something goes wrong. They respond to a distress call, and end up finding themselves attacked. On the run and fighting for the lives against an enemy no one has thought of in years: The Borg. Suddenly, these rookies no one cares about are the first ones to learn of an impending invasion from The Federation's deadliest enemy, and now they're a hell of a lot more important than they used to be.

4: A show about the Klingon Empire. Focus on a special forces team within the Klingon Defense Forces. Their duty is to neutralize threats to the stability of the Empire. Share the focus between them and the Klingon High Council, with Martok and the Chancellor. Our heroes in the field, risking life and limb, and the cutthroat political world back home where decisions are made that dictate our heroes' lives. Use it as an opportunity to explore the Empire fully, show it's culture landscape, show the relationship between the Klingons and the races that they have conquered and subjugated over the years, all in the backdrop of pulse pounding action and deadly political machinations. Discover several worlds worth of crime, corruption, racial tension, and social unrest. Think "The Wire" meets "The West Wing" but in space.

Section 31.

It would basically be Homeland crossed with 24 but in Star Trek.

What I just read about Section 31 sounds pretty awesome.

Original timeline, post-Nemesis. Show something that has never been shown before. Focus on Section 31.

THIS..........or a Section 31 show in the 23rd century of the new timeline. You could actually tie everything together and open up the new show after the 24th century destruction of Romulus, with Section 31 being the secret culprit.

Awhile back, I'd come up with my own idea for a series post-Nemesis set a few years later after a brutal Federation-Romulan war that was triggered when Riker, his new ship the Titan, and the enyoy that was sent to Romulus at the end of Nexus being ambushed. The war was won by the Federation decisively and in barbaric fashion, as a contained Genesis torpedo was detonated by the Federation on Romulus wiping out 1/4 of the plant. The Romulan Empire was left in complete ruin, while the Federation was on the verge of becoming the dark empire that was alluded too toward the end of DS9. I wanted my show to be about taking the Federation from that verge and back to the Eutopia of TOS/TNG.

Last edited:
A giant no to Section 31. Section 31 was the dark side/ run amok program of the Federation. It was antiquated and really a villain in itself. Star Trek should go back to something that TV is radically missing, which is hope and optimism for the future, a view of humanity evolving that we want to strive for. I say follow it after DS9/Nemesis, and go into as The Question said into unknown of the Beta Quadrant, or even more exciting to me would be going into the Gamma Quadrant, and see how Odo (which would be a great cameo) has changed the remnants of the Dominion, and explore that part of the galaxy that really remained quite unexplored by the Federation due to the Dominion war.

Section 31 was the antithesis of the Federation, to show our dark side and our own hypocrisy. They are a villain, not a central character/story line in my view. I want more optimism in TV again, so I say go back to the styles of TOS and TNG, but make it more modern in the sense of over all story arc's that add more to the characters/drama.

A giant no to Section 31. Section 31 was the dark side/ run amok program of the Federation. It was antiquated and really a villain in itself. Star Trek should go back to something that TV is radically missing, which is hope and optimism for the future, a view of humanity evolving that we want to strive for. I say follow it after DS9/Nemesis, and go into as The Question said into unknown of the Beta Quadrant, or even more exciting to me would be going into the Gamma Quadrant, and see how Odo (which would be a great cameo) has changed the remnants of the Dominion, and explore that part of the galaxy that really remained quite unexplored by the Federation due to the Dominion war.

Section 31 was the antithesis of the Federation, to show our dark side and our own hypocrisy. They are a villain, not a central character/story line in my view. I want more optimism in TV again, so I say go back to the styles of TOS and TNG, but make it more modern in the sense of over all story arc's that add more to the characters/drama.

I agree. It's this viewpoint that my idea was based upon. I wanted the Federation on the brink of imperial darkness following the Dominion War and the a war with the Romulans, but it saves itself through the eyes of one crew in my story.

i wouldnt be interested unless its in vein of all the psychedelic wonkiness seen in the original series....but that will never happen again. blah!

i wouldnt be interested unless its in vein of all the psychedelic wonkiness seen in the original series....but that will never happen again. blah!

There is so much more to Star Trek than that.

I really want to see them expand what has been shown in the Star Trek universe. What happens after Star Trek: Nemesis between the Federation and the Romulans?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"