• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

New WSJ article on WB movies and DC franchises.

Yea we will have to wait and see which films besides batman 3, and superman reboot do end up getting off the ground and running. But wb would be wasting an opertunity to go with the berlanti gl script and goyer green arrow script.

Yea the dark comment was taken a bit out of context what i was reading about it it meant to go like this: The "dark" comment is not about the characters themselves, but the universe they will be in.

That's exactly what it is, people are jumping to conclusions.

GL should be top priority for WB, as that has great franchise potential. Let Nolan charge his batteries and then ask him if he was interested in BB3. The Superman reboot is a bad idea, but if there's a good director and cast attached... it could be good. (I think all the fanboy celebration regarding no SR sequel is premature... what if the reboot sucked?)

Hell, I think GL and WW should be top priority at WB, and not more Batman and Superman movies at the present time.

YEa right now gl/ga which have the most recent developments going on so they should be on higher priority and all that.

Like the recent Batman sequel -- which has become the highest-grossing film of the year thus far -- Mr. Robinov wants his next pack of superhero movies to be bathed in the same brooding tone as "The Dark Knight." Creatively, he sees exploring the evil side to characters as the key to unlocking some of Warner Bros.' DC properties. "We're going to try to go dark to the extent that the characters allow it," he says. That goes for the company's Superman franchise as well.

Web, its not as simple as that. Rubinov suggesting he wants to explore the evil sides of characters without explaining exactly what characters he means and how the article suggests the movies will be in TDK's tone just makes it that much easier to believe he wants to make every adaption in TDK.

It also makes it seem like the only reason the lesser franchises haven't gotten made is that they're not evil enough for some vague reason. Like Superman and Batman are the only ones who have enemies in their franchises that have evil characters in it.

The failed adaptions never had a problem with evil characters. That was not the primary reason why they failed.

I'm sure it is a misunderstanding but they needed to much clearer with this. Definitely more then a few sentences and vague words that could mean anything.

They needed a short interview with this so things didn't get misunderstood like they have.

Since WB has has been bad with adaptions in the past people are naturally going to assume the worst. They have improved considerably with adaptions but not enough to stop the deep skepticism.

Yea Hopefully we get things cleared up once they make the plans official for which films will be happening and all that.

Yea we are now just back to waiting to hear which things will be happening be that gl/ga films along with batman 3 and supes reboot. They just need to get the right people on board with all the films and all that.

I just hope this doesn't throw a wrench into what's going on with Green Lantern. Reading the script review at IESB.net, I couldn't be happier about that movie. And apparently the studio loved it too. What I'm curious is whether that love has changed since this decision to go "dark" has been made.

Well as i think i pointed out already as others the comment made by jeff robinov is not for the characters themselves to be dark but for the universe and world they are in is a dark place and all that. I think the gl film could work in this, but i dont know much on the character so i dont know if a lighter action adventure route or a bit darker/edgier action film would work for the character.

Web:

GL could go either way. Just not as extreme as a character like GA.

You should pick up the Secret Origins trade once its released in a few months. It's Hal's up to date origin. It's a good starting point to know the mythos.

Ok thanks major, i said this before i dont read dc so i only know bits and peices about some characters but see their films/cartoons. So if gl could be a bit dark hopefully berlanti's film isnt scraped it sounds very promising and i hope it happens. Along with the goyer prision break film for green arrow.

Of the two other DC characters Robinov wants to get solo movies of by around 2011 or so, they ought to start with GL. The first draft of the script is already out and has gotten rave reviews, its the making of a blockbuster. This should be WB's chance to capitalize on what Berlanti has pitched to them.
I also hope that the Flash can get going after this announcement. Last I heard it was lost.

I think the gl film could work in this, but i dont know much on the character so i dont know if a lighter action adventure route or a bit darker/edgier action film would work for the character.

It should be Star Wars, basically.

I just hope this doesn't throw a wrench into what's going on with Green Lantern. Reading the script review at IESB.net, I couldn't be happier about that movie. And apparently the studio loved it too. What I'm curious is whether that love has changed since this decision to go "dark" has been made.

If the script hints at Parallax, it would be a good storyline for a future sequel. Rebirth is awesomeness personified... and plus, GL is open for themes dealing with willpower and deciding your own future just by taking on the ring. Those themes could be explored in a dark way without compromising Hal's light-hearted, dry-humored character.

And I'm not keen on a Superman reboot just because WB doesn't want Singer and the cast back. It looks like the WB is looking at multiple pitches for potential reboots and trying to decide which one to go with.

The next movie should be Superman. Ditch the director & Lois Lane actress, reassess Routh, and don't go the reboot routine or else at least an hour will be wasted just for the origin moments. NO REBOOT, SAVE TIME.

Then Green Lantern. Oh well can't avoid origin moments.

Then Batman 3. Yay, action from the beginning.

Well from what the reports says we will likely see batman 3 and supes reboot in 2011 or maybe 2010 if they can get both ready and filming and all that. But personally they should leave them both at 2011 release date. Get green latern and green arrow films for 2010 since right now they seem to have most development going for them and alot of fans are going for the scripts for these too. Then flash/ww probably wont happen to 2012/2013 since there is no developments moving with them at this time and then jla between 2013-2015. i said this already over in the green latern casting thread.

when i first found this article i didnt know if i should be relieved or worried (again). i guess it was both. it was good news that WB finally started thinking with the heads on their shoulders and decided to follow the "Marvel format" -- which is the MO we've been saying in these forums even before Marvel studios adapted it. its a real shame that WB had to waste money and creative talent and even tarnished the image of beloved franchises to realize that.

what's worrying me though is this talk about "dark and brooding" feel for every superhero movie from here on end. again this is ignorance talking. dark and brooding works for Batman because he's Batman dammit. you can probably apply a bit of that in GL, but for most of the superheroes-- Superman, Wonder Woman, The Flash-- they should all feel inspirational, they are the ideals, the ones we look up to and motivate us to better ourselves. they inspire us to be good. scaring us to be good is Batman's way, not theirs.

So it sounds like MOS is officially DOA?
*sigh* so it seems my friend. its a shame though. i would've wanted them to keep Routh and Spacey, but i couldnt see them keeping the existing cast if they're going for a reboot.

When was Superman vs Batman ever going to be the follow-up? That was Man of Steel.

S vs B got deep sixed since WB chose to go with Singer's Superman over Wolfgang's Petersen's project.
well we did keep hearing about the Superman-Batman project even when they were in the middle of doing TDK. it was something that never went away. WB actually talking about it openly now means that it was an option they were pursuing had SR fared better. Bale couldnt talk openly about it either but he has given hints all the way up to the point before WB angered Nolan with that JL plot. next thing you know, Bale wouldnt talk about BvS, JLA and suddenly signed up with Terminator.

so as you can see, the joint superhero movies has always been an option on the table. but its dead now because WB is such a genius at handling creative talent. :whatever:

Since the BOP franchise isn't going to be revived soon there's no reason Huntress or Black Canary shouldn't be off-limits. The characters on the show were so different people would barely notice they were meant to be the same. In Helena's case she had more in common with Dark Angel then Bertinelli.
with all due respect to the new Huntress, i would prefer that they go with the original Huntress who was Helena Wayne (Bruce and Selena's daughter). there's just something about that name and the concept of her existence thats just perfect (for lack of a better word). i'm aware of Bartinelli's backstory and why the name "Huntress" is appropriate for her but i always felt that she was a ripoff in more ways than one.

steelsheen if you been reading my posts or a few others i stated robinov's "Dark" comment was a bit taken out of context, the world/universe the characters will be in will be dark and the characters themselves wont be dark like batman.

Perhaps Robinov used poor words to describe how things are going, perhaps something more like 'mature' or 'adult' would have been better options, 'dark' and 'brooding' seem to have started a unwanted frenzy, this should be a time when DC fans are rejoicing that the characters are going to be taken seriously, too much focus on one small phrase me thinks.

My own personal chart:

"Dark" Film<--Batman--Green Lantern--Wonder Woman--Superman--Flash-->Family Film

steelsheen if you been reading my posts or a few others i stated robinov's "Dark" comment was a bit taken out of context, the world/universe the characters will be in will be dark and the characters themselves wont be dark like batman.

i know man i've read them. and i can see your point that it could be misinterpreted. as i said it could be WB ignorance going on print but i wouldnt put it over them that they would actually bankroll ignorance-- we know they excel at doing that.

also those are my thoughts when i first found the article (yeah i'm the same Steelsheen that submitted the news in the front page of SHH). i know i'm slow posting my thoughts, but i do news stuff for other sites as well and that took a bit of time. i'm a little surprised this reached 3 pages this quickly :woot:

edit: good chart there ChiefChirpa

Yea i do hope as i said his comments were taken out of context and he meant they will be more mature/serious films. Now only dark characters should be bats/ga/possibly green latern, were has ww would be in the middle and shazam/flash should be a bit on the lighter side like spidey 1/2.

To echo some comments here dark will not work for every character and if Robinov means what's been reported some of these projects will backfire.

DC at one time or another since the mid 80-s tried pushing 'dark' on all their major characters and it can be argued that the results weren't wholly successful with everyone. I mean a Captain Marvel or Superman movie as good as TDK is promising but as 'dark'? The immense success of TDK (and if the awards talk actually materialises into fact next year) should not blind them to how they view every individual property (though quite frankly I'm not surprised it has).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"