Nicolas Winding Refn's ‘Too Old To Die Young’ series for Amazon Studios

Sounds good to me, I don't have an issue with Refns hypnotic/dreamlike pacing. Considering how quickly and unelegantly game of thrones has been going lately i'm glad to hear this slows things down and has room to breathe. I'm not a fan of fast cuts and the furious pacing that seems so prevalent these days, plus Refn has always been more of a visual storyteller anyways.

Only thing that concerns me is the barry manilow song, not sure what happened to the slick electro. Hope it works in the supposed car chase scene but i'm trying to picture it in my head.

opening sequence, hell yes i'm ready the next 11 days better go quick

One week to go.

t6ccIPJ.jpg

Now just to be clear this isn’t an ongoing series right?

I don’t know if anybody has watched this yet but here’s the Press Conference from Cannes.

Now just to be clear this isn’t an ongoing series right?

Nah, Refn said he wants to do a movie next. I mean it might have a somewhat open ending, just in case. But I think the intention was to just do 10 episodes. I imagine it will be about as conclusive as the ending moments of his past few movies.

Yeah figured. Thanks.

So this releases on friday, but are they gonna drop it at midnight tomorrow? I hope so cause I was kinda planning on staying up.

I'm watching it.

The pace is glaaaaaacial. Which I wouldn't mind if this were a movie, and so far I am enjoying it more than OGF or Neon Demon... but the prospect of getting through ten of these 90 minute episodes feels incredibly daunting.

People compared it to Twin Peaks: The Return but this is even slower than that and substitute Lynch's humor and genuine imagination with Refn just doing Refn.

But Khondji and Martinez are doing God's work on the thing and I am kind of intrigued by the absolute smorgasboard of characters, even if they all talk at the same turtle's pace, so I dunno, I might make it through more of this.

Haven't seen Neon Demon, but thoroughly enjoying this style of his being put to great use here.

I watched the first episode, I think I might have loved it. Billy Baldwin was amusing, with his constant nasal cough and purring sounds. I like the pacing cause it gives it room to breathe. I aim to finish all ten episodes by monday morning if I can.

I just finished episode 3 last night and things are really starting to come together! I am absolutely loving every second of this show. The cast is fantastic!

I had a laugh in episode 1 when Miles Teller character cocked what was clearly a hammerless revolver. :hehe:

Did anyone finish this series? I completed it two nights ago and uh wow.

Refn goes full “Refn mode” in the end. I didn’t like how things wrapped up but episodes 1-7 are some of my favorite episodes of television, I’ve seen since True Detective season 1 or Mr. Robot.

Everything is breath taking on a technical level, however the story wasn’t to my liking in terms of what it builds to.

I finished the series a couple days ago. To me the main arc concludes in episode 8. After seeing the neon demon I kinda expected Refn to go weird with the ending in this too. I'm okay with it, maybe there could have been more closure. But the door is open for Refn to return to this world eventually, even though it sounds like the experience of making this exhausted him.

Fifth episode is the highlight for me. I found this series boring and honestly regret the time I invested in it.

Still trying to get through episode 2. I'm usually game for "slow cinema"--Tarkovsky is my all-time favorite director, for instance--but there is something that just feels so over-the-top indulgent and vacuous about the posturing Refn does here it's making this a real chore for me. I thought for sure I had to be near the end of the episode but when I stopped I saw I still had like half an hour left. It's just not engaging me.

The 2nd episode was the slowest and kind of a lull in the series, in hindsight I did like it for the setup of the characters and the whole jesus/yartiza side of things. But it wasn't the most engaging of the bunch. For me things started improving very much in episode 3 (though episode 1 is great imo). I'd plod on and get halfway through 3, if you're still not feeling it throughout the third episode i'd just cut your losses and watch something else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"