• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Nier Automata

Turtles, Transformers, Korra, Star Fox.

I know people generally like Transformers, but I don't think anyone would say that it's as good as their best stuff.

I liked both Transformers and Korra really.

You wouldn't say those are on the same level as Bayonetta thought would you?

No, but I don't know if I would say they constitute being "rough" for the developer really. I generally don't put obvious budget-retrained efforts on the same level as AAA developed titles, though. I'm not going to look at Korra in the same way I do Bayonetta. I thought Korra, for a $15 download-only title that clearly didn't have much time and budget was fine. Transformers was the same way, too, though $40 was probably too much for that overall package probably.

You wouldn't say those are on the same level as Bayonetta thought would you?
I wouldn't say many games are on the Bayonetta level, especially Bayonetta 2. Also a bit weird to give them the blame for Star Fox when they were brought in to try and fix the gameplay. That wasn't "their" game.

Their list of games primarily developed by them, in order of release:

MadWorld
Infinite Space
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Anarchy Reigns
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
The Wonderful 101
Bayonetta 2
The Legend of Korra
Transformers: Devastation
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutants in Manhattan

Haven't played Turtles or Infinite Space. The rest I'd say are good to very good, with Bayonetta 1/2, Vanquish, and Revengeance being great. So basically their big titles always seem to work out.

No, but I don't know if I would say they constitute being "rough" for the developer really. I generally don't put obvious budget-retrained efforts on the same level as AAA developed titles, though. I'm not going to look at Korra in the same way I do Bayonetta. I thought Korra, for a $15 download-only title that clearly didn't have much time and budget was fine. Transformers was the same way, too, though $40 was probably too much for that overall package probably.

I wasn't really thinking about them in terms of budget. I was more thinking about them in terms of, "Is this a good game or not?"

Budget doesn't factor into my assessment of a game much, if at all. Games can be good or bad regardless of their scale. I don't think it's right to judge a game more leniently just because it's a smaller or cheaper game.

Well, I can see where you're coming from, but I think it's a bit disingenuous to just ignore budgets and time restraints as being non-factors completely in how a game turns out. Even the best of developers can only do so much when given a super small budget and tight time frame to complete. I won't say that excuses a game from being bad or anything, but I honestly don't think any of those games were all that bad honestly. I haven't played Turtles, yet.

I mean, 100% honestly, would you ever expect a $15 download title based on a license game like Korra that was announced and released within like 3 months to ever be on the same level as a game with a large budget and long development cycle like Bayonetta 2? I mean, yeah, I guess it's not a total impossibly, but in general, would you really expect that?

Last edited:
I mean, 100% honestly, would you ever expect a $15 download title based on a license game like Korra that was announced and released within like 3 months to ever be on the same level as a game with a large budget and long development cycle like Bayonetta 2? I mean, yeah, I guess it's not a total impossibly, but in general, would you really expect that?

I'm not saying I expect a small game to be able to have feature parity with a AAA $60 game. I'm just saying I expect it to be good and that its size and budget have next to nothing to do with that. (within reason)

For example, Shovel Knight is a small game that was inexpensive to make, yet it's still a great game and I like it more than many games that are several orders of magnitude larger and more expensive. That's what I mean when I say budget doesn't matter.

I am an indie fan, but what allows for indies to work is their simplicity. If Transformers was an Indie game, it would get even more love then it already does because it is very much a simpler version of what Platinum does.

so, is their a release timeline for Nier??

is it still a 2016 release?

Probably.

New screenshots:

nier-automata_201608_zesb1.jpg

nier-automata_201608_fqsnk.jpg

nier-automata_201608_9ds1c.jpg

nier-automata_201608_3ds1s.jpg

nier-automata_201608_xusq8.jpg

I don't know really, anymore about the whole releasing on PC thing. If we're going to move each and every game that releases on a console and PC to multiplat, there's pretty much no point in even having a Microsoft board anymore. Well, except for a potential third part exclusive, but that's pretty much non-existent at this point.

But, I digress, I guess I'll go ahead and move this.

Honestly, I think the entire gaming section could stand to be overhauled and reorganized. As it is now, it seems like the different subsections are spread too thin in terms of regular activity.

A few years ago I was even thinking about messaging a mod to see how feasible that would be to get done before this generation got off the ground, but I just never got around to it.

My idea looked something like this:

Mobile and Social Games (phone, tablet, browser games)

PC and Console Games (console, handheld, PC games)

Hardware and Software (discussion about the different platforms, operating systems, apps, patches, etc.)

The Gaming Lounge (meta gaming topics such as E3 threads, GOTY threads, friend list threads, tournaments, and other misc. topics)

Last edited:
I don't know really, anymore about the whole releasing on PC thing. If we're going to move each and every game that releases on a console and PC to multiplat, there's pretty much no point in even having a Microsoft board anymore. Well, except for a potential third part exclusive, but that's pretty much non-existent at this point.

But, I digress, I guess I'll go ahead and move this.

you know. that's actually a good point. Play Anywhere titles like GOW4, Forza Horizon 3, and Recore should technically be considered multiplat because they are also on PC - yet they are listed in the Xbox section.

So, yeah, I agree. Maybe the Hype needs to rethink how it categorizes games.

Honestly, I think the entire gaming section could stand to be overhauled and reorganized. As is is now, it seems like the different subsections are spread too thin in terms of regular activity.

A few years ago I was even thinking about messaging a mod to see how feasible that would be to get done before this generation got off the ground, but I just never got around to it.

My idea looked something like this:

Mobile and Social Games (phone, tablet, browser games)

PC and Console Games (console, handheld, PC games)

Hardware and Software (discussion about the different platforms, operating systems, apps, patches, etc.)

The Gaming Lounge (meta gaming topics such as E3 threads, GOTY threads, friend list threads, tournaments, and other misc. topics)

those are good ideas.

at the very least, I think there should be one section for Hardware ( where we discuss the consoles themselves ) and another section for Software ( where we discuss the games - for all platforms ).

The games would just need to be clearly labeled in the title which platforms they are on.

so, for example this thread would be titled: "Nier Automata ( PS4, PC )"

Forza Horizon 3 ( X1, PC )
Spider-Man PS4 ( PS4 )

and so on.

New TGS trailer gives the release date as February 23, 2017. No clarification yet if that's just Japan or worldwide.

It's obviously the Japanese date since it was revealed at TGS, that's why I said there wasn't clarification.

ah.

but if it was a worldwide date, you'd think they would have mentioned that. I believe they said Nioh's Feb release is worldwide, for example.

but hopefully that means the Western release for Nier isn't too far behind Feb.

The demo is live on the PS Store.

Simply put the game is incredible. The gameplay and action is so much fun. Don't get me started on that killer soundtrack.

[YT]ObnS75WIUWE[/YT]

Looks like a less colorful Bayonetta. I am excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"