• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

No Final Fantasy XIII until 2008 ?

Final fantasy and turn based RPG type games are losing out to real time RPG's like Oblivion and Baldur's Gate style games thesedays, which personally I prefer anyway.
I think they've started to go in that direction with teh new gameplay system in XII and XIII looks to expand that and of course VS XIII will be even more action oriented

i want them to go back to basics. like the ffx battle system was cool. im all for changing it slightly but not really that much, the summons kinda blew as well cos of it. im all for the diff lvling up systems but dont mess to much with the battle systems

I loved the battle system of FFX, as it was my first FF game but I think XII really outdated it. It was just so much better and would be hard to go back to the old style

Am I the only one who liked the FF X-2 battle system? It was an ATB system, like from earlier games, but it was so much more active. The characters actually ran around the screen, instead of just running up to the enemy, hitting him, then going back to the spot they were just at. I think it just seemed more logical to me.

Am I the only one who liked the FF X-2 battle system? It was an ATB system, like from earlier games, but it was so much more active. The characters actually ran around the screen, instead of just running up to the enemy, hitting him, then going back to the spot they were just at. I think it just seemed more logical to me.

It certainly ranks among my favorite systems. Personally, I liked it at the time, but FFXII's system was so much more active and comprehensive. I liked how it encouraged exploration.

i liked it. see thats what final fantasy games battle systems should be like. its ALL about the turn based battles and the *SWWWWWWWWWWWWOOOOSH* thing before you go into battle lol :D i'd much rather see that back than the ff12 system. ff12 didnt feel liek a ff at all.. i dont understand the high ratings tbh. the story was far to striaght forward aswell..i mean c'mon what was with the lack of twists.. the only decent one was
finding out balthier used to be a judge

LOVED it. X-2 gets alot of flack but at least the battle system was great

Basically backing up what's already been assumed up until this point, but now there's confirmation:

According to German gaming site Gamefront, the Japanese publication Nihon Keizai Shimbun is reporting that Square Enix will not release any games for the PlayStation 3 until the start of the new fiscal year, April 1, 2008. In other words, keep waiting for Final Fantasy XIII. This is backed-up by an earlier statement from the company's president Yoichi Wada that FFXIII would not be released this fiscal year. Assuming the game hits Japan shortly thereafter, factor in translation, localization, and the hiring of bad voice actors, and we could be facing a North American and European launch in 2009 ... or later (cue spooky noises).

Source

Final Fantasy always takes forever to be released. I wouldn't be surprised if this got put back again, though they seem to be pretty conservative with these estimates anyway.

Doesn't matter. Sony might get miffed about it, but I'm sure this will still kick butt. Didn't we wait like 3 years for XII?

probly...and look at what we got...they had that long and we got the most straight forward story ever.

http://computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=166668

Choice excerpts, on the PS3:

The enthusiastic level designer gushed: "It's not just about how pretty the graphics are but more of how much unlimited amount of movement we can put in one go and how big our imagination and ideas are."

He goes on to enthuse (clearly, this time): "The PS3 is the machine that is closest to being able to express our imagination."

On FF13:

"The action elements will be high in the game but instead of defeating the enemies from an audience's view, I want to give people the taste of actually being part of that world. The assignment here is whether can we build an FF with the suspense and thrill of Third-Person-Shooter. In that sense, the game will be a slightly different type of FF."

sounds promising,wish there was some screenshots to go along with whatbhe's saying.

sounds bad...i really want them to go back to basics. none of this real time fighting. its just not ff... tho im not going to totally judge until ive played it or at least seen more footage.

I don't know, the combat system for FFXII was great, it was just the board system and the overly open approach to how your characters could level along with the game balance for the bosses that undid it.

THey did say that FFXII was based around a fighting system that replicated the feel of the fights in Advent Children. It will probably be realtime turn based, I doubt you'll be pressing a jump button or anything though, but you nevber know.

I'm open to it as long as it's balanced well.

I loved the gameplay in FFXII. It really changed things in a good way and makes it hard to go back to the old combat. I didnt care for the Liscense board myself and felt it was too open. I much preferred the Sphere Grid from FFX. It had a clear set path for each of the characters but it gave you the option of straying from that if you were to choose so

It was like Final Fantasy 1 except much more complicated, which really resulted in balance problems.

The combat system itself is amazing, but the lack of focus the board system made things too complex and it was way too easy to gear your characters inapropreately or break the balance of the game by screwing yourself over or making them all tanks.

I love the combat system but the mechanics it just borked the game really easilly.

It was like Final Fantasy 1 except much more complicated, which really resulted in balance problems.

The combat system itself is amazing, but the lack of focus the board system made things too complex and it was way too easy to gear your characters inapropreately or break the balance of the game by screwing yourself over or making them all tanks.

I love the combat system but the mechanics it just borked the game really easilly.
tell me about it. I hated how you HAD to give your characters certain skills and abilities to get to what you want. For example, lets say I wanted to created a character that was strictly black mage, well that wasnt possible, without making them partly green mage and white mage bc everything overalapped and you couldnt just bypass them

tell me about it. I hated how you HAD to give your characters certain skills and abilities to get to what you want. For example, lets say I wanted to created a character that was strictly black mage, well that wasnt possible, without making them partly green mage and white mage bc everything overalapped and you couldnt just bypass them

Exactly. By the last dungeon, it didn't matter who was a Mage or a fighter in the beginning because they could all use the same abilities to more or less the same strength. I've always thought that FFXIII will probably be more cinematic. For example, we might pick all our actions for a turn and then watch them be acted out. However, that little blurb about 3rd person shooters has me worried. If it didn't work out in Dirge of Cerberus, why would they try that again? At this point I just want to know more about the world and the supporting characters.

Has anyone ehard about waht additions they're makign for the international version?

3445-v4.jpg

It's not official by any means but it looks really cool.

This game will take my mind, body, and soul.

142ff13.jpg

142ff13%202jpg.jpg

142ff13%203.jpg

142ff13%204.jpg

142ff13%205.jpg

137uk3.jpg

Does it show? If it does...

bow down before me! That is...if you don't have the magazine. lol I

thanks for the pics. Thats defiently not the game's box art. Looks more like a promotional piece they'd put up at EBX. Still looks cool

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"