• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nocturnal Animals with Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal

Looks like Focus/Universal won't be doing category fraud with Amy Adams. Which I'm glad because I'm not a fan of category fraud. But it does make her job even tough now as not only she's not only competing against other great performances but she's competing against herself in ARRIVAL. Which if you've read the reviews is the better performance of the two even though both performances have been praised.

https://twitter.com/AwardsCircuit

Got confirmation today...Amy Adams is LEAD and will STAY LEAD for 'Nocturnal Animals'...supporting rumors are gibberish.

CuvLQZLXYAE48vb.jpg:large

Last edited:
Looks like they were trying too hard with the poster.

Looks like a simple Photoshop poster done by a newbie in all honesty but I like it.

A friend of mine saw it at London Film Festival yesterday and he really like it with all the main cast members putting in excellent performances. But he said the ending might not be to everyones liking but I'd like it. Tom Ford said he want's people to leave the movie asking questions. Weather it be good or bad. :funny:

This looks so good! I absolutely love Jake Gyllenhaal too, so I'm really stoked for this.

[YT]8rMNSHh2sY8[/YT]

[YT]-FrDYkqaG74[/YT]

[YT]S_BpEpVcqZc[/YT]

Just a reminder that Nocturnal Animals is coming out in the UK on November 4th. Hopefully I'm going to see it on opening day.

So went to see Nocturnal Animals today and yeah I really liked it. I will say this it you will either love it or it will make you feel cold. But at least you'll feel something. Its' basically three movies in one. The present, the flashbacks and the book Edward sends Susan titled 'Nocturnal Animals'

The opening sequence will either shock you or you'll be thinking WTF! It's very Lynchesque. Amy Adams, Jake Gyllenhall and Michael Shannon were excellent. Arron Taylor Johnson surprised me he was good. His best performance yet. Laura Linney has brilliant cameo (in flashbacks), she basically comes in lay's down the law to her daughter Susan (Amy) and leaves. :funny:

Abel Korzeniowski score is fantastic and the cinematography is stunning as to be expected if you have a director like Tom Ford and a DP like Seamus McGarvey.

The last scene isn't a happy one per se but I loved it again some will like it but others will think could've done with maybe one more scene. But it's impactful and its' beautifully shot.

8/10

Last edited:
I loved Korzeniowski's score for A Single Man. Can't wait to hear this.

This was probably the most emotionally powerful experience I had at the cinema since last year's Carol. I think Ford was a bit too "on the nose" with some of the cuts between the novel scenes and Amy Adams' character's experience (for example, they would show Gyllenhaal's emotionally drained character laying in bed and then they would show Amy Adams' character somberly laying as well). However, the performances are so genuine and intense - particularly in the novel scenes - that you can overlook some of the weaker aspects. You really understand how Gyllenhaal's character channels the peoples' personalities in real life with those in his novel. It's a brilliantly directed, profound picture. It's full of colour, not just visually, but tonally too.

I loved Korzeniowski's score for A Single Man. Can't wait to hear this.

IMO it's brill. Hopefully he does more movies.

This was probably the most emotionally powerful experience I had at the cinema since last year's Carol. I think Ford was a bit too "on the nose" with some of the cuts between the novel scenes and Amy Adams' character's experience (for example, they would show Gyllenhaal's emotionally drained character laying in bed and then they would show Amy Adams' character somberly laying as well). However, the performances are so genuine and intense - particularly in the novel scenes - that you can overlook some of the weaker aspects. You really understand how Gyllenhaal's character channels the peoples' personalities in real life with those in his novel. It's a brilliantly directed, profound picture. It's full of colour, not just visually, but tonally too.

Nice to see someone else watched it too man. Thought I'd be the only one who saw it early. :funny:

What did you think of the last scene? To me it was powerful.
It dawned on Susan and us the audience that oh sh**, Edward isn't coming to meet her. Even though he said to meet up. It's not a happy ending but it was the correct one for Susan. And hopefully it means a new beginning for her and try to become who she initially set out to be..

The last scene was a beautiful setting and place to shoot with the lights.

Nice to see someone else watched it too man. Thought I'd be the only one who saw it early. :funny:

What did you think of the last scene? To me it was powerful.
It dawned on Susan and us the audience that oh sh**, Edward isn't coming to meet her. Even though he said to meet up. It's not a happy ending but it was the correct one for Susan. And hopefully it means a new beginning for her and try to become who she initially set out to be..

The last scene was a beautiful setting and place to shoot with the lights.
Hahaha, I wasn't following the production very closely, but after that first trailer, I had to see this opening day.

Regarding the ending:
I think, just like Gyllenhaal's character Tony finds vengeance in the novel, Edward also got vengeance in real life. In the novel scenes, Gyllenhaal's character is seen as weak, but he gains the strength to kill his wife and child's murderer. In real life, at the end of the film, Edward gains the strength to reject Susan (who, parrallelingly, killed his child through an abortion). It was a very powerful ending, and we sympathize with Susan, because we recognize she has changed through reading Edward's novel. She is also experiencing infidelity by her husband, just as Edward experienced with her. I think she both learned to appreciate him as a writer and as a man that was betrayed by someone. Edward also channels himself through his work, and like the character he writes, he finds strength and emotional closure.

It's a fantastic ending, and to be honest, I felt a bit queasy afterwards. You understand Edward's suffering without seeing him in present day - Tony does the work in getting us into Edward's mindset. It's smart stuff :up:

Last edited:
Brilliantly put it mate. It's why I really liked that ending. Even Amy Adams has said in interviews it's a movie that doesn't tie anything up but leaves a satisfying conclusion for her character and you're left to wonder. But these days people want a happy ending and going out for Sharwarma. :funny: That is why I said it might split people Some may think I didn't get that ending.

Definitely, it's such a necessary ending for both of the characters. Loved it.

Just saw it! Incredible. Amy Adams was outstanding - it was so refreshing to see such a well-rounded female character in a leading role. And start rehearsing your Oscars acceptance speech Michael!

I loved the ending -
I like an ambiguous ending and this gave you just enough information to speculate on what would happen next. Would Susan be able to start a new life or would she go back to her old one? There's enough in the film for you to make a plausible argument for her going in either direction.

Wait, it's a limited release on Friday and then a wide release Dec. 9th? I'm pissed I have to wait 3 more weeks...

New York/ LA release on Friday

Limited on 23rd and Wide on December 9th.

Must've changed the order slightly then. As that was the initial release order.

Must've changed the order slightly then. As that was the initial release order.

A couple theaters in Chicago showed up when I was looking for times because I assumed it was a wide release Friday

10/10

Tom Ford does it again. What an incredible film. Amy Adams is phenomenal in this. Amy and Gyllenhaal make the perfect couple. The ending is one of the best endings in a movie this year.

Warning: This movie is not for everyone.

Decent movie. Didn't really get or like the very end though.

Shannon was great, gyllenhaal was good, Aaron Taylor Johnson was surprisingly pretty good, Adams and Hammer were fine. Hammer didn't have much of a role though.

Saw this last week, I'm regarding this as one of the best films I've seen this year.

9/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"