November 6th, 2012: Campaigning, Early Voting, Election Day, And The Results!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marx

Pixelated
Reaction score
We had a thread like this in 2008 and it was pretty popular. We are now one week out from election day. Early voting is taking place across the country. Has anyone taken part in early voting? Are any of you volunteering for a political campaign? Are you waiting to cast your vote on election day? Is anyone planning on attending or hosting an election night "watch party"?

This thread is for all things general election and election day! (Including crowd reports and the results!)

Discuss. :yay:

I cast my vote last week. It has been reported on the news that over 800,000 people have taken advantage of early voting and have already cast their vote. (59 percent of those early votes going to President Obama.)

I've voted already here in North Carolina since we have early voting. It was fast and easy. Voted for Libertarian Gary Johnson.

I'm a volunteer for Gary Johnson and ''content creator'' for the Libertarian Party of Craven County, NC Facebook page. Been doing that (Craven County Facebook LP) for 2 weeks I guess now...gone from 6 likes to now 7 likes. And even got a like on a status update. Small growth, but I've been told to just keep it active and go from there.

In terms of watching...I guess I go here for live results...

http://www.politico.com/

^ I imagine they will be tracking 3rd parties as well.

1.2 million Ohioans have reportedly cast their votes so far.

Yep. I actually thought I read somewhere that 1.7 million had already voted, which was slightly down from 2008 which had 1.8 million people who voted early.

Voted early last Sunday. Waited three hours in line with a large group of others. No one was complaining...on the contrary -- everyone seemed energized and committed to being there, and happy to be a part of the process.

Don't dig those electronic ballots as much as the ol' circles or chads, though...

:word:

So, what does everyone think that the cabinet will look like in January?

If Obama wins I don't expect many HUGE shakeups. I expect Holder might quietly resign midway through next year. Hillary is obviously resigning. I am debating who will replace her. I think John Kerry wants it (he seems ready to retire from the Senate and 4 years as SecState would be a good way to cap his career), but I think that Susan Rice will get it.

I'm guessing Romney's SecState would PROBABLY be Huntsman. There aren't many people in the Republican party more viable.

I could see either David Petraeus or Jim Talent getting the SecDef nod.

A.G.....I would've said Christie before yesterday but I think he has effectively burnt any bridges. Bob McDonnell is term limited so he is possible. John Coryn and Mike Lee are also possibilities.

Treasury would probably be former World Bank president Robert Zoellick. He has been a top Romney adviser throughout the campaign and I am guessing he is foaming at the mouth for the job.

Anyone have any thoughts of who will be joining the Obama administration or the Romney administration (depending on the results)?

Gilbert Gottfried for ALL cabinet positions, regardless of which party wins.

then when something goes wrong, the administration can just give the official response: "Son of a *****!!"

I usually listen to a lot of talk radio at work such as Hannity , Savage , and Levin. It's entertaining to hear how much they despise Obama. I think we're damned either way so hopefully Obama wins for the purpose of amusement.

Early voting seems to be all the rage this year. In elections past, I've only been aware of early voting if you were going to be out of the country, or out of your voting district, I.E. absentee or mail in voting.

But this year, there have been voting places set up to vote all week.

Did I miss something? Has this been how it's always been? Because I never recall it being this way.

Happily and proudly cast my vote for Obama today. Although he's probably gonna lose my state (Tennessee)

What's with all the early voting tho... have I missed something in year's past, cuz I don't remember early voting in past elections. But this year seems to be all the rage.

Obama must be feeling pretty good about his odds with the Redskins playing the Panthers on Sunday. Vegas has Obama as 3.5 point favorite to win the election based on the Redskin Rule

It should be more than that. The Panthers are pathetic. Worst team in the NFC by far.

If Obama wins I don't expect many HUGE shakeups. I expect Holder might quietly resign midway through next year. Hillary is obviously resigning. I am debating who will replace her. I think John Kerry wants it (he seems ready to retire from the Senate and 4 years as SecState would be a good way to cap his career), but I think that Susan Rice will get it.

I'm guessing Romney's SecState would PROBABLY be Huntsman. There aren't many people in the Republican party more viable.

A.G.....I would've said Christie before yesterday but I think he has effectively burnt any bridges. Bob McDonnell is term limited so he is possible. John Coryn and Mike Lee are also possibilities.

Treasury would probably be former World Bank president Robert Zoellick. He has been a top Romney adviser throughout the campaign and I am guessing he is foaming at the mouth for the job.

Anyone have any thoughts of who will be joining the Obama administration or the Romney administration (depending on the results)?

Don't forget Z-Paw, Secretary of Vanilla Ice Cream.

Early voting seems to be all the rage this year. In elections past, I've only been aware of early voting if you were going to be out of the country, or out of your voting district, I.E. absentee or mail in voting.

Did I miss something? Has this been how it's always been? Because I never recall it being this way.

Some people dont vote because they dont want to fight the crowd on election day. They are trying bring more people to the polls by allowing everyone to vote early and avoid the crowds on election day.

Well if you participate in early voting you avoid long waits in line on election day at some polling places. That was a big problem in Ohio back in 2004. In a lot of cases the backlog stems from a lack of voting machines. A study was done the following year that found that 3% of voters abstain when there are long lines. For this election, that 3% is significant.

Early voting has been in my neck of the woods all my life. My parents always vote early.

I'm not sure when it started, but I'm pretty sure it's been around for awhile. It just varies state to state. My parents are procrastinators, they don't vote until the deadline, they don't leave for work until the last second, ect. I'm the opposite, lol. I just like to get it out of the way early, at a time I'm comfortable with. Rather than waiting til the last second, squeezing it in in whatever way I can, wading through the crowds.

Damn, so why have I never heard of early voting before? lol

Voted here as well. Went with Obama, Gregg, and Donnelly (he's running against Mourdoch, the guy who made the rape comments).

Governor was the hardest race for me. I would have voted Mitch Daniels again, but he's term blocked. Both Pence (the Rep Gov challenger), and Mourdoch are outspoken tea partiers who seem to like to argue with the opposing party, so didn't toss either my vote. Came down to the Democrat John Gregg, and Libertarian Rupert Boneham. Don't really know much about either. Gregg was relected in the house of representatives quite a few times, and was speaker of the house for a bit. Boneham was on survivor apparently, a youth mentor, and small buisness owner. That's about all I knew. So I went with the guy who held an office, and was relected over the celebrity, lol.

Last edited:

I'd rather Hillary stay on, but I think she's headed out as well. John Kerry, not sure how I feel on that. He was an awful presidential candidate, but I think in general his hearts atleast somewhat in the right place on foreign policy. Either way I think he'll pale in comparison to Clinton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"