Official Batman Beyond Appreciation Thread

CFE

The never-ending battle
Reaction score
By the late 90s, the original "Batman: The Animated Series" and it's follow up "The New Batman Adventures" had changed the face of comic book characters in media; not only taking the genre for it's own...but achieving a level in animation that to date had been contested but never passed as far as visual richness and in depth character development.

By 1999, a new extension of the Animated DCU enacted by Bruce Timm, Alan Burnett and Eric Radomski was greenlit and released...

The show focused on the premise of an older Bruce Wayne, worn by age and sensibilities that conflicted with his nightly crusade, thusly giving up the mantle of Batman forever...only for his spirit to be re-invigorated by an other-side-of-the-tracks teen named Terry McGinnis.

The show...was "Batman Beyond"

And after three television seasons, one direct to DVD feature and a slowly gaining fan base, "Batman Beyond" has become almost as beloved in its own right as the original Animated Series that began in 1992.

-------------------------

I personally feel that this series doesn't recieve nearly the amount of praise that it should.

As the premiere was gearing up on KidsWB I had my reservations and doubts; I'm sure we all did.

How could they take Wayne out of the costume? Just who does this McGinnis punk think he is? And why isn't this "Batman" fighting "Batman" villains.

But as the show progressed, I came to respect and love it.

It's one thing to take on such an intimidating task after 60 plus years of comic book history...But it's another to do it with such bold style and to not fall into that all too easy trap that "Spider-Man Unlimited" did by taking the original characters into a future setting.

It would've really been something to see this show continue and to see it have the illustrious decade long run of the oriignal TAS.

--------------

So basically in this thread, you can reminence about "Batman Beyond."

What you liked, what you didn't...so on and so forth...

I'm actually surprised there wasn't a thread here already...

CFE

I wasn't big of Batman Of The Future (it's called here in UK) but i liked BROTJ movie tho.

I found this series to be more entertaining than what I was initially expecting. I absolutely loved the first season's episodes, inparticular. And of course the animated ROTJ flick. A very enjoyable series. :up:

I got the 'Rebirth' video the day it came out and kinda lost interest in the idea. It was around the same time as Spider-Man Unlimited, which I hated.

I didn't like that I didn't know any of the villains, and that it was set in the future where everything looked away too advanced considering TAS was anachronisticly dressed to look like it was in the past.

However, years later when I bought all the TAS DVDs I decided to give Beyond another try and now recognise its good points. Epilogue certainly helped me see the nice flow between all the shows.

Speaking of villians' fates. I would have loved to have found out what ever happened to Two Face, The Scarecrow, The Riddler, The Penguin ect ect in the Beyond universe. But I suppose it wasnt meant to be for whatever reason. Though it was cool finding out about Mr. Freeze, The Joker, and Bane (kinda harsh, but justified).

Speaking of villians' fates. I would have loved to have found out what ever happened to Two Face, The Scarecrow, The Riddler, The Penguin ect ect in the Beyond universe. But I suppose it wasnt meant to be for whatever reason. Though it was cool finding out about Mr. Freeze, The Joker, and Bane (kinda harsh, but justified).
Well we know what happened to half the Legion of Doom lol, they were all killed by Killer Frost/Darkseid. I guess the villains can thank the Bat-Embargo for that :woot:

I presume The Penguin would've sold up and moved to some corrupt island until he died of liver disease or whatever. Two-Face might've died a horrible death after going too far with a crime, and Poison Ivy probably killed herself when she got her first wrinkle.

We know what happened to Ra's/Talia and Harley Quinn though.

I liked the first season and elements from the second season...

the third season had that annoying female character in it far too much and lost its flow a lil with only out of the past and that jlu 2 parter.

I also didn't like how terry always seemed fairly weak in crossovers with static and other heroes in jlu.

I liked how terry was not a polished fighter and was willing to fight dirty or go that extra yard for a win, I also liked how his villains were all noticeably more dangerous than the crime tycoons of batman's error, it reflects on the times more. A new type of batman was needed for a new society.

I liked also how terry grew with his fighting and detective skills. Beyond had some awesome villains and character designs though and the fights even now are on par with the best of jlu.

the only thing i would change were some of the details of epilogue. I would have had the dna altering experiments work but too late to have an effect on terry but his lil brother would actually be his half brother and he would be the perfect dna specimen of a crime fighter. His bro would come into the fold and become the new nightwing and future legacy of batman. A slight switch but he would give terry now that chance to take on bruce's role as mentor and would secure there was a future batman there ready for another generation of crime fighting.

Well we know what happened to half the Legion of Doom lol, they were all killed by Killer Frost/Darkseid. I guess the villains can thank the Bat-Embargo for that :woot:

I presume The Penguin would've sold up and moved to some corrupt island until he died of liver disease or whatever. Two-Face might've died a horrible death after going too far with a crime, and Poison Ivy probably killed herself when she got her first wrinkle.

We know what happened to Ra's/Talia and Harley Quinn though.
Oh yeah. Harley's cameo was great. :up:

Speaking of Legion of Doom, I was shocked at how quickly those members who sided with Grodd were executed in that particular episode. I remember watching it, and was like, "Damn!".

Oh yeah. Harley's cameo was great. :up:

Speaking of Legion of Doom, I was shocked at how quickly those members who sided with Grodd were executed in that particular episode. I remember watching it, and was like, "Damn!".
It certainly halved the Justice League's problems lol

I guess they would have relaxed a little up until the Beyond-era, until the new school of villains kicked off.

I suppose I liked Blight's story and how they kept him going until the end of season 1, but the Beyond villains wouldn't have stood a chance against any of the old school villains, I mean when the Jokerz first see the Joker in ROTJ they start to panic.

This series was SOOO great! Timm and co knew what they were doing throughout and it was overall a wonderful experience to watch ....great cartoon.

Not close to the greatness of TAS, but still an amazing animated show.

The video "Return of the Joker" really is one of the best Batman/Joker stories ever. The only problem with the movie is that when it's not about Batman/Joker, it kind of sucks. But when it is focused on Batman/Joker, it's pretty much amazing.

I was nine when it came on, but I remember thinking it was pretty awesome. Dang I wish it would come on in syndication.

the only thing i disliked about Beyond was the lack of a GOOD lead villian.

Every hero needs their number 1 villian. Batman has Joker. Spiderman, Venom. Superman, Lex Luthor.

Beyond tried to pass off Blight as this..and it..kinda...failed miserably.

Since the whole series did infact revolve around something Project Cadmus did, I wouldn't of minded seeing them more involved in the series-as central protaganists. Maybe even retcon some smaller DC Villians for Beyond (ie: characters like Azrael, Conduit, etc) maybe introduce a Red Hood type character.

Since the whole series did infact revolve around something Project Cadmus did, I wouldn't of minded seeing them more involved in the series-as central protaganists. Maybe even retcon some smaller DC Villians for Beyond (ie: characters like Azrael, Conduit, etc) maybe introduce a Red Hood type character.
They did that with Spellbinder. I think had it continued, they planned to introduce characters they never got around to having in the TAS.

I know they wanted to have Huntress around, but it didn't get another season and she went on to star in JLU anyway.

I think they wanted Max to become a Carrie Kelly-type Robin sidekick too.

well yeah. Max becoming "Robin Beyond" was pretty obvious.

i do like the line when she first finds out that Terry is Batman..something about "Call me 'Robin' and the secrets out" or something to that effect.

i just think the villians were too weak. The only ones that looked like a real threat were the OG Bat-villians, "Beyond"..ie: Return of the Joker, the Mr. Freeze episode, etc.

Terminal could of become the new Two-Face.

Honestly wasn't a huge fan for a number of reasons. To me, Bruce Wayne is the only Batman. I didn't like the new suit at all. They couldn't use many familiar villains and instead had to makeup many(most that I didn't like). But it wasn't bad either. I liked the animation and the writing was good, character designs were iffy at times. But I really enjoyed Return of the Joker.

they pulled off Batman Beyond much better than Spiderman Unlimited (god, that show wasn't even worth the download.)

I wouldn't mind them bringing Beyond back one day, maybe under a different art style, make it darker.

Maybe something post "Epilogue", Terry is older, wiser, maybe kill off Dana so he has MORE of a reason, etc.

the only thing i disliked about Beyond was the lack of a GOOD lead villian.

Every hero needs their number 1 villian. Batman has Joker. Spiderman, Venom. Superman, Lex Luthor.

Beyond tried to pass off Blight as this..and it..kinda...failed miserably.

...Not....At.....All....

LOL I thought in the last pic her arm was her breasts, man that was a WTF moment for me.

Justice League and Batman Beyond Coming to Netflix Instant!

6oQPB0c.jpg

http://www.superherohype.com/news/a...e-and-batman-beyond-coming-to-netflix-instant

Back in January, we reported that a whole slew of Cartoon Network series would be appearing on Netflix Instant at the end of March. Included in that announcement was the recently canceled Green Lantern: The Animated Series, but now it seems that even more DC cartoons will be appearing on the streaming service.

StreamingSoon.com, which creates a list of all upcoming films and tv shows that will be added to the service, lists that 2001's "Justice League," 2004's "Justice League Unlimited," "Batman: The Brave and The Bold," and the fan favorite "Batman Beyond" will all appear on Netflix instant on March 30.

Only the first season of "Brave and the Bold" will be online with the first two seasons of both "Justice League" and "Justice League Unlimited." All three seasons of "Batman Beyond" will be available for streaming. Sound off below with your excitement!

Awesome,Can't wait to re-watch the show!!

Fantastic show. Damn near as good as Batman: The Animated Series. The premise alone shouldn't have worked, but it really truly did.

I will have to say that if you guys loved Batman Beyond, you should check out Tron Uprisnig which is also on Netflix Instant. There's some similarities that you guys will really enjoy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"