Official Marvel Universe on TV Thread

Sebastos

le professionnel
Reaction score
Thought it'd be nice to have a thread strictly for discussing the Marvel shows that are in development. Details below:

A.K.A Jessica Jones:

• The show, of course, could not be called Alias because of the aforementioned J.J. Abrams show on ABC.
  • Like the comic book, A.K.A. will see Jessica Jones as private detective in New York City trying to put her life together.
  • Carol Danvers (A.K.A. Miss Marvel) and Luke Cage (A.K.A. Power Man), both of whom are Avengers in the comic books, will appear in the show.
  • It was not elaborated on as to whether or not Carol and Luke will be superheroes, but if they’re “taking their cues from the Marvel movie universe,” we can probably assume that they will be to some degree.
Cloak and Dagger:

Will take place in a “post-Katrina New Orleans.” For those not in the know, the comic book is about two teenage runaways: 1) “Cloak,” A.K.A. Tyrone Johnson, a seventeen-year-old Boston boy who runs away to New York because his debilitating stutter prevents him from calling out to his friend and saving him from getting hit by a car. 2) “Dagger,” A.K.A. Tandy Bowen, an incredibly privileged rich girl who runs away from her home because her super model mother doesn’t have time for her.

One thing leads to another, the two runaways accept an offer to go to a shelter with strange men, the men forcibly take the runaways to a criminal chemist who tests synthetic heroin on them – and voila! They get superpowers (although this was later retconned so they were mutants all along, and the synthetic heroin simply triggered their x-genes).
Cloak’s power is his ability to connect to the “Darkforce Dimension,” as well as to become intangible and to teleport (by vanishing inside of his “cloak,” of course). Dagger’s power is her ability to create “light-based” daggers – which can heal people, if she so chooses – as well as to eliminate people’s addictions, whatever they may be.
It’s easy to imagine that the show will follow the above basic storyline, with the only key difference (so far) being the change of locale from NYC to New Orleans.

Mockingbird:

Also on ABC Family will be Mockingbird, a story about Bobbi Morse – Hawkeye eventually married her in the comics – a freshmen in college (perhaps Stanford in California) who gets contacted by S.H.I.E.L.D. and becomes a secret agent. Basically, the thrust of the show is, “College student by day, secret agent by night,” and according to Jeph Loeb, it’ll be like J.J. Abrams’ Felicity meets J.J. Abrams’ Alias. That’s a lot of J.J. Abrams going on there.

Discuss!

Whoops!

The Hulk:

• The show will deal primarily with Bruce Banner and Betty Ross’ relationship.
  • Special effects have reached such an advanced state that making a live-action Hulk show – with computer-generated Hulk effects – is totally possible.
  • For an idea of what Hulk will look like in the show, watch The Avengers (we’ll believe this last part when we see it).

I'm excited but have cautious optimism on these TV shows proposals, because aside from Bixby's Hulk series, Marvel hasn't had much success on the tube. On the other hand, DC's success all derived from Superman, from Lois & Clark to the recently-done Smallville, which ran for ten seasons on CW. I think Daredevil should've been a great idea, but sadly its rights are still been held by Fox.

Well, first of all, if they get Ruffalo and the Avengers CGI Hulk for the Hulk series, they will have a fan.

I can think of a HOST of heroes I'd rather see in an ABC family set up before I'd see Mockingbird. I can't even begin to name them all. Jessica Drew/Spider-Woman would be, in a word, awesome. Carol Danvers, even Janet Van Dyne all work with the college spy in training motif. Anything, something, please, not Mockingbird.

Cloak and Dagger sounds too topical to make a full series. Could be great as a miniseries. AKA Jessica Jones almost writes itself, but it'll have to compete with the other superherocop procedurals coming out, like Powers

Me personally, I would love to see a Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel saga on TV. It'd be interesting to see Ant-Man and Wasp since they're not getting movie treatment. If the CGI is up for Hulk, I wonder what a Fantastic Four TV series would look like?

Last edited:
I hadn't even thought of "Powers", but how weird will it for both of Bendis's superhero police procedurals to be on TV at the same time?

Drew could always have a guest appearance in the Mockingbird show. Seriously there's just a whole bunch of characters who wouldn't make it in the MCU that could fit in the MTU. Shang-Chi being another, I could see him showing up in the Jones or Mockingbird show.

Michael B. Jordan for Cloak. :o:up:

actually antman been on track last few yrs for marvel probably will be one of the next ones out between 2013, and 2014 slate where they likely will have janet there too with which ever antman they do.

As for the shows i definately agree dd would make for a solid show his powers are simple and easy to do on a tv budget along with a good host of his villains too.

I could see cloak and dagger working well for abc family, though only thing likely to change is the whole drug aspect of there origin. That would likely be work around.

Jessica jones another easy one with her powers and same goes if luke cage does appear on her show invul/strength such easy powers to do on tv.

The hulk one should be interesting to see what del toro does with it, and if it does end up tieing into the marvel movie verse too. Which i would hope for all these shows to happen to tie into film verse to expand things and set up things for future films and what not. Plus for shows like jessica jones and mockingbird easy way to throw in avengers and shield plotlines. Have coblie smulders and the guy who plays agent coulson in once in awhile wouldnt be that hard i think.

I want Runaways as a series. With Vaughan as showrunner. And Whedon as director of the pilot! :wow:

I just sufficiently excited myself.

Would be cool but its one of many projects that they been gearing towards a film series.

What about an Avengers Academy tv show?

I'm most interested in the new Hulk tv series

I mean you look at shows like Heroes or Alphas, an Avengers Academy show is entirly possible. Of course Quicksilver wouldn't be there seeing as he's with Fox.

Holy **** The Punisher is coming to tv, be still my heart, this could potentially be awesome. :wow:

Well, it's getting a pilot. A series order isn't a sure thing quite yet. But, if things go well, then :up:

Looks like a different depiction of Castle, really look forward to how this'll play out.

Punisher as a Cop/Vigilante show? Like DEXTER?

Dear. God. YES. That would be so awesome. :awesome:

And it's not like it'd be costly, either. Most of the special effects would basically be the guns, which they can just use blanks for the bullets.

I you look at like or Alphas, an Avengers Academy show is entirly possible. Of course Quicksilver wouldn't be there seeing as he's with Fox.

Alphas is absolutely awesome. As I've said numerous times, it's like the X-Men, but with powers that are actually plausibly genetic based.

It'd be crazy if Fox had shows from both DC and Marvel on their schedule next season. Punisher from Marvel, The Spectre from DC. But I doubt it will happen. I didn't have a particularly strong feeling about Spectre, and I feel like Deadman on The CW is a stronger possibility for DC. Now that Punisher is a possibility, it just seems like a safer bet to me.

the idea for the show is ********...i cant see how anyone can be excited about it. is it so hard to get Frank? really?

The Punisher needs to be refreshed after the crash and burn known as War Zone but the cop angle seems strange. Will this cop lose his family but stay on the job? Interesting...

A.K.A Jessica Jones sounds like the best of the bunch. I loved the Alias book and the concept can really really work.

I'm still waiting for Marvel to get Daredevil back. THAT is the best TV show potential of them all by far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"