Official Rate & Review Spider-Man 3 Thread! *SPOILERS*

Well it focuses mostly on spidey 1. Erm we have the spider bite. Then him looking at his muscles. Catching MJ's food. Chatting to aunt may and uncle Ben. The shooting. GG and him impaling himself. Dropping body off at mansion. I'm pretty sure theres a lot more filler in between.

From 2 : Mostly just swinging around. Ock, and Ock dying. Harry seeing his dad and then finding the gear. The it goes from an image of spidey swinging at the end of 2 to it being on a reel of footage at the beginning of 3.

Thanks very much :up:

That's actually alot better than just black webbing in the titles, IMO. I enjoyed the recap of SM-1 in the SM-2 titles. I'm glad they're doing a recap of the previous two movies for SM-3, too. Except this time, it's the actual footage.

Right ladies and gents, I literally just got back from the film.

Firstly, the atmosphere was great, and the press seemed reeeeal excited for the film. When the sony logo came up, the crowd went wild. The hour before hand, we were all discussing the comics and films etc.
We got a free handbook detailing the film, actors and producers etc.

And now onto the movie itself.

It may very well rank up there as one of my favorite movies of all time....Note that I'm not saying best..Just favorite.

The beginning credits are similar to the webs of the first film, but you see the symbiote dripping onto them and slowly becoming black. Within the gaps of the webs there is footage from the previous films as a summary of whats gone on previously.

I think Raimi got the balance of pete and Spidey right this time. You really feel for him this time round, and I think his iconic status as the everyman is cemented in this film. He makes the EXACT decisions we would and makes the same mistakes.

The MJ stuff isnt as mushy this time round, as theres constantly conflict and not too much lovey dovey stuff. Gwens role in the film is large enough, establishing her and throwing a spanner in the works.

Thomas Haden Church was fabulous as sandman. When he first gets his powers, you really want him to be able to use them, as it seems painful at first. His character arc is pretty basic and I'm glad Sam used him in the way that he did. His fight scenes were inventive but always left you gagging for more. Not at one point did I think; "damn when is this going to end"

Topher should answer all of you're problems. He comes across as a right jackass and only at one point is he likeable and you feel sorry for him. He really nailed his character well and his performance as the crazed venom was sensational. He comes a cross as the psycho who feels he's merely giving back what was given to him.

Franco's performance won it for me. I wont go into it too much but he was sensational. His fight scenes are amazing and trust me... the 7 minute clip is longer than you think !

Bruce Campbell is hilarious in his role and is once again the foil to peter at key moments.

Now onto the fight scenes...

Without spoiling the outcomes, my favorite fight would have to be the battle royal. Imagine everything you would ever want to see in a spidey film...and it will be in there. Venom is a nut-job who truly wanted to mutilate spidey, and sandman seems to just want to pummel him to get the job done. Imagine every spidey/venom/sandman battle from the comics and throw in a couple of issues of marvel team-up and your kind of there.

As i said earlier, the sandman fights are short to medium lengths but each one is exciting and you dont know what will happen next.

The CGI was incredible and if they dont get an oscar, I dont know what will. The symbiote is creepy and looks cold and callous ( if a go can look like that) It forms the hand tendril thingies to get around and it just looks unbelievably real and tangible.

The sandman effects are out of this world and are pretty damn seemless with the surroundings. Dont want to spoil what forms he takes etc.

Some have pointed out that spidey can look rubbery, but he was far from it. Of course, you KNOW its cgi due to the usual tell tale signs, but once immersed , you truly wouldnt even notice its THAT good.

Venom has the mcfarlane smile when plotting and talking and when he goes a bit nuts... Well lets say its a sight for sore eyes. He was more than big enough and you could believe he would have killed spidey in different surroundings.

Now onto the criticisms.

Black Spidey - not enough of him in the suit. Yeah we see his enhanced powers and his fight against sandman, but we wanted to see him being harsh with crooks etc. Lifting cars with ease and the like. You do see his reactions to petty crime, but not in motion.

The score - I'll be honest, I thought the attempt was pretty rubbish. Elfmans score in places was great, as were the main themes. Sandmans was a mixture of ocks and new stuff. Venoms I wasnt reallty listening out for as I was so engaged. Black spideys theme is too heroic and should have been much more sombre or menacing. The best part of the score was the goblins heroic theme. Its a new take on the typical goblin theme and was brilliant.

Sandmans placement - I cant put my finger on this point as such and I think this may divide opinion alot. He didnt feel underused, but not used enough. I wanted to see more of his daughter, and wanted to see him batter around spidey a bit more in the red and blues. He was portrayed briliantly though, and I really cant explain myself any better.

All in all, I can say it is easily the best of the three, and flows perfectly. Raimi and co have done it again...Its relentless and you feel pumped whilest watching it. I need a spidey 4...It was just that damn good.

Oh and mods, what am i supposed to do about spoilers etc that people want to ask me about?

Thanks for the info. One question: How does the voice of Venom sound?

Questions bholliday, for the guy who always believed in you... :)

1. Does Venom speak with his mask on?
2. How does Venom shoot his webs?
3. Do they call the black goo a "Symbiote?"
4. Will Comic book Geeks complain about Venom's look at all in this movie?
5. Does Venom ever refer to itself as We, or is it I?

Maybe not my place but

1. Venom speaks with and without his mask, looks a bit weird when he first speaks with it on
2. Through the top of his fists I think?
3. Dr Connors refers to it as being what we call a 'Symbiote'
4. I have no idea, they shouldn't. He's cool!!!!
5. He doesn't refer to himself as we, and his voice isn't altered either. It's just Brock speaking

awe man bholliday you are one lucky dude im dying to see this but i have two ??s

1 does venom have his own voice separate from tophers

2 does he say we are venom

thanx for the review its heightened my anticipation even more and i didn't think that was possible

Maybe not my place but

1. Venom speaks with and without his mask, looks a bit weird when he first speaks with it on
2. Through the top of his fists I think?
3. Dr Connors refers to it as being what we call a 'Symbiote'
4. I have no idea, they shouldn't. He's cool!!!!
5. He doesn't refer to himself as we, and his voice isn't altered either. It's just Brock speaking

The voice thing sounds a little awkward.

This is my first post on these boards, but I have been coming here for the last year or so. My question for bholliday...I know that everyone is saying this is the end of the trilogy, but knowing how much money this movie will undoubtedly make there will be a 4th. But, do they show anything at the end of the movie that insinuates there will be a 4th?? Oh, and was there anything after the credits? I know some people may not want to see either answer so you shuold probably black it out. Thanks!!

Thank you for the review,bholliday.It makes waiting till May 4th even harder!:spidey:

Just form your own opinion, folks. Who cares what other people think?? Whether you like it better or not is all that matters.

Both reviews said it's a great movie. So, it's all good.

I'll always have my opinion. I thought Fantastic Four was very entertaining. It's just that I want to know what other thinks mainly because of box office.

First of all, thanks for your review. It was very well written and very informative :up:

Second, what footage of the previous movies do they show exactly in the opening credits, if you can remember??

Ditto. I was pissed when a previous reviewer said it was only black webs at the start, but now that you've said there's footage from previous films, I'd definitely like to know what was shown.

So, Sandman really is responsible for Uncle Ben's death in this movie?

I've got to say that I was quite sad when it got to the end of the film because it felt like the end of the story and an era for me I guess. Everything is wrapped up, there doesn't really seem to be any arc left for them to continue on. It felt like these characters had come of age and the story was told. I can't really see where they're going to go with a fourth, but money speaks.

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BONE SAW MCGRAW!

It has more to do with whether they ruined my moviegoing experience.

Q:This is my first post on these boards, but I have been coming here for the last year or so. My question for bholliday...I know that everyone is saying this is the end of the trilogy, but knowing how much money this movie will undoubtedly make there will be a 4th. But, do they show anything at the end of the movie that insinuates there will be a 4th?? Oh, and was there anything after the credits? I know some people may not want to see either answer so you shuold probably black it out. Thanks!!

A: to be honest, theres nothing really outstanding with regard to a sequal. But it is most definantly feesible with the intro of new characters.

Q:awe man bholliday you are one lucky dude im dying to see this but i have two ??s

thanx for the review its heightened my anticipation even more and i didn't think that was possible

A: He doesnt say we are venom.
He doesnt have a different voice...It may be a tiny bit higher pitched.
Most of the time with mask on he just screams and goes a bit nuts.

Q:This is my first post on these boards, but I have been coming here for the last year or so. My question for bholliday...I know that everyone is saying this is the end of the trilogy, but knowing how much money this movie will undoubtedly make there will be a 4th. But, do they show anything at the end of the movie that insinuates there will be a 4th?? Oh, and was there anything after the credits? I know some people may not want to see either answer so you shuold probably black it out. Thanks!!

A: to be honest, theres nothing really outstanding with regard to a sequal. But it is most definantly feesible with the intro of new characters.

Q:awe man bholliday you are one lucky dude im dying to see this but i have two ??s

A: He doesnt say we are venom.
He doesnt have a different voice...It may be a tiny bit higher pitched.
Most of the time with mask on he just screams and goes a bit nuts.

So he mostly shrieks and roars? I'm fine with that. What do think is his most memorable line in the movie?

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH BONE SAW MCGRAW!

It has more to do with whether they ruined my moviegoing experience.

I didn't realize the movie was subtitled "Spider-Man 3, as Made for Cristo".

You're coming off as an overzealous fanboy lacking any sense of humor. It's OK, the world isn't going to end if Sandman was considered Ben Parker's killer. This is the movie continuity. Accept it for what it is, and live a long, healthy, fruitful life. It'll do your heart good. Accept the fact that this movie is a technical achievement that has a wonderful storyline and great character development, and you'll feel better. Trust me.

Get it through your thick ****in skull idiot! You keep on beating a dead horse here.

Why are you flaming me? Remember: flaming's not allowed.

Sigh, I'm disappointed that Venom doesn't have his own voice, did it looks weird? I'm assuming it would, I mean, a monster sounding like a human being....

Also, were you guys satisfied with the way Venom was dealth with? Did it make you go "wtf....that's not right....feels kinda anti-climati" or "Yes, Spider-Man did the impossible and defeated Venom, hoooray!!!"?

That is not continuity.

It's called "destroying a franchise". It's called "treachery". Do you REALLY think that Raimi had it in his mind when he was making Spidey 1 to make Sandman the REAL killer of Uncle Ben in a sequel?

So he mostly shrieks and roars? I'm fine with that. What do think is his most memorable line in the movie?

Probably whern he's face to face with peter and he starts saying "Pete do you remember what you did to me ?! You embarrased me and ruined me !" He goes on to say more, but he just looks completely insane. At one point i think he says ooh, my spidey sense is tingling or something tounge in cheek.

He was fabulous as venom

That is not continuity.

It's called "destroying a franchise". It's called "treachery". Do you REALLY think that Raimi had it in his mind when he was making Spidey 1 to make Sandman the REAL killer of Uncle Ben in a sequel?

Will the world end if it wasn't the case?

Breathe, sir. Breathe.

Im glad you loved it Bholliday, really nice review as well :)

My question:

Is there an epic final swing at the end like 1 and 2?

Also, does the main titles start out the same way 1 and 2 did? like the same main title score over the columbia pictures logo and marvel logo?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"