• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

OFFICIAL The Rocketeer Appreciation Thread

DaRkVeNgeanCe

An Epic Film Guy
Reaction score
Ever since I saw Joe Johnston's The Rocketeer in the theater as a kid it's been one of my favorite films of all time, let alone comic book related films. I feel the film is highly underrated and still stands up the test of time since it's release in 1991.

I have a dear place in my heart for The Rocketeer and hope some of you do as well. I figured it deserved it's own thread so enjoy and discuss your thoughts and opinions freely!

Ever since I saw Joe Johnston's The Rocketeer in the theater as a kid it's been one of my favorite films of all time, let alone comic book related films. I feel the film is highly underrated and still stands up the test of time since it's release in 1991.

I have a dear place in my heart for The Rocketeer and hope some of you do as well. I figured it deserved it's own thread so enjoy and discuss your thoughts and opinions freely!

I love this movie so much. The music is great, the characters are great... Dalton is such an *******:yay: and The Rocketeer costume looks fantastic on screen.

It's the perfect adventure movie; action, humor, romance and a little horror too (Lothar is actually based on a guy called Rondo Hatton. Look him up). I wish there were more movies like this one today... You know, "pulpy" movies.

Yeah, love it.

Dave Stevens' original comics are favourites of mine too. The art in those is just crazy good!

I think it's funny that we live an era that's rebooting absolutely friggin' everything... EXCEPT the stuff like The Rocketeer that actually needs it.

Yeah, love it.

Dave Stevens' original comics are favourites of mine too. The art in those is just crazy good!

I think it's funny that we live an era that's rebooting absolutely friggin' everything... EXCEPT the stuff like The Rocketeer that actually needs it.

I read part two when I was a kid, and the first story about a month ago. Great stuff! But I actually like his girlfriend from the movie better than the one from the comics.

There was talk about a new movie, right? Not a sequel, but a remake.

I read part two when I was a kid, and the first story about a month ago. Great stuff! But I actually like his girlfriend from the movie better than the one from the comics.

There was talk about a new movie, right? Not a sequel, but a remake.

According to Wiki, Saw creator James Wan is interested in doing something with it.
Not the guy I would have picked, but okay..

I hope to watch it soon. Is it on Netflix?

I really have been eager to get the blue-ray for this baby, but we all know how Disney releases are. I saw a steelbook on Amazon for around $25 I may just have to splurge and get it, though there are absolutely no added extras on it which is a huge shame.

We should just turn this into the Jennifer Connelly in The Rocketeer Appreciation Thread.

Saw? Dead Silence??? Death Sentence...:csad:
And Insidious, and The Conjuring, he's also going to direct Fast 7, which will show if he can handle action. If the guy gets a property he's very interested about then i trust he can make a great movie.

Rocketeer is still one of my favs. Dig everything about the flick. Been really enjoying the current comic minis IDW has been releasing lately.
We should just turn this into the Jennifer Connelly in The Rocketeer Appreciation Thread.

:up:

She's perfect.

After Superman 1 this was my favorite superhero movie all the way up until the late 2000's. Just love it and nobody does early 20th century period pieces quite as well as Johnston does. You can just tell he loves it so much with this and October Sky and CA:TFA. Getting someone with that kind of enthusiasm would be crucial to doing any remake right. The Rocketeer just drips with a vibe/atmosphere that is awesome. It doesn't have the greatest action(it's fine just not stand out) but it's the over-all feel that is inescapable with this movie. Definitely a great one.

Rocketeer is still one of my favs. Dig everything about the flick. Been really enjoying the current comic minis IDW has been releasing lately.

They've got new Rocketeer comics? I better hit up the comic shop.

Anybody knows what they had planed for the sequels? Since it was supposed to spawn a Trilogy similar to Indiana Jones did they have anything planed?

I remember hearing about Campbell & Connelly (who were an item at the time, I believe) being signed for a trilogy.I was disappointed that things didn't quite go that way.....:csad:

RwaorQk.jpg

aD0U3LA.jpg

:woot:

Anybody knows what they had planed for the sequels? Since it was supposed to spawn a Trilogy similar to Indiana Jones did they have anything planed?

No idea but their IN to a sequel almost certainly would have been because Peevee recovered the schematics to the jet pack at the end.

Yeah, i guess that would be their chance, but do the comics give any clue to what could have come next? Many fan posters have it about the Nazis with an army of Rocketeers, but i wonder what would push the main character to go up against them instead of just getting various trained pilots.

I would actually like them to try a reboot so that we may have a trilogy this time, but i'm not sure which director besides the original would be able to bring the Pulp look to the big screen. Or if in this day and age it would be able to be successful between all of these superhero blockbusters.

Just read the original comic for the first time and i must say this is an instance where i prefer the Film much more, while it may be fun, the cameos from other pulp heroes just end up making the comic feel less like its oun thing and story, in the film there's also an actual plot and a structure with a begining, middle and end.

It's a real shame the original film never took off or had sequels, would have loved to see how the Trilogy would have turned out. The only way i can see the doing the reboot well is by skipping the origin completelly and just having Cliff as The Rocketeer and investigating something in California by the Government. Cargo of Doom sounds like a neat story to use as the basis for a reboot, but without the twist being dinossaurs.

They've got new Rocketeer comics? I better hit up the comic shop.

Yeah, last ones I read were "Cargo Of Doom" and "Hollywood Horror". Both good :up:

Theres a Rocketeer/Spirit crossover goen on right now. Havn't checked that one out yet.

If they did another one i guess that an origin wouldn't really be necessary, should they make him an average guy that is caught in problems like the comics and original film or more of an agente fighting the Axis powers like Indiana Jones and most serial heroes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"