• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

First Avenger The First Avenger: Captain America Described As “Raiders meets Rocketeer and Saving P

Team Andino

The Paragon of Virtue
Reaction score
http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/08/09...ders-meets-rocketeer-and-saving-private-ryan/

Earlier today I posted about a comment that director Louis Leterrier (The Incredible Hulk) made during an interview with the Los Angeles Times, while on the England set of his latest film Clash of the Titans. There were also a few other interesting tidbits have emerged from the interview concerning Leterrier’s future with Marvel, The Incredible Hulk 2, The Avengers and his thoughts on the early designs for The First Avenger: Captain America. Read the full interview over at LATimes, or check out the highlights below:

beacon.dll

• Apparently, Leterrier is contracted to direct one more film with Marvel.
  • Right now it does not look like he will be directing a sequel to The Incredible Hulk. Likewise, right now I doubt that Marvel will be making a sequel to The Incredible Hulk.
  • His next Marvel film will likely be something else — “something different that I can really put my touch on.”
  • Like everyone else, Leterrier “would love to do the Avengers film.” And who wouldn’t, really?
  • He has seen some of the design work Marvel is doing for The First Avenger: Captain America and says it “looks amazing” and is “going to be so cool.” He describes it as “a period piece”like Raiders of the Lost Ark but “with more gadgets…” He later clarified, “It’s Raiders meets Rocketeer and Saving Private Ryan.” Which makes sense since Captain director Joe Johnston was the art director on Raiders, and the director of The Rocketeer.
The concept painting in the header of this story, and full size below, is not from the production of the movie. Jonathan Mayer created the concept art, as an unsolicited pitch for the upcoming film. The painting is entitled “I Could Have Done More.” and shows The Captain in the aftermath of Normandy. I thought it was interesting enough to include with this story.

Check the link out for a pic, I'm happy to finally hear any news about this movie. I really hope they don't mess this movie up

Likewise, right now I doubt that Marvel will be making a sequel to The Incredible Hulk.
If not, it really contradicts what Tim Roth said recently about The Abomination. I don't think he was talking only about The Avengers.

Picture with article. Not official concept art but a painting of what one would like to see the suit.

245iy45.jpg

Raiders of the Lost Ark + The Rocketeer + Saving Private Ryan= Captain America?

PERFECT!! That's exactly what I want from this film.

If not, it really contradicts what Tim Roth said recently about The Abomination. I don't think he was talking only about The Avengers.

No it doesn't... Roth was basically commenting that he was signed to three films, which can either be Hulk movies or Avenger movies or both. It doesn't mean Marvel has to use the character again or even make more Hulk movies in the future.

Is Rocketeer a movie I can see any where?

You should definitely catch that. I'm am sure it will look cheezy compared to today's standards but it was a decent film back in the day. And Connolley was hot as **** back then, so that counts for something.

Hopefully this means they are keeping it all in the '40's. Maybe we will get the Invaders in a sequel. That could be pretty unique, the same character in two series of movies - one set in the past and the other in the present. Excelsior!

Well its nice to hear that it could end up being compared to those films. I would be happy with that. As for your comments bubbadoom, it has pretty much been stated by marvel Captain america film will be all in ww2 setting like it should be. Now the only question is cap going to get frozen at end of the film, discovered by shield for a end credit scene and lead to avengers. Or will avengers start out with finding cap.

No it doesn't... Roth was basically commenting that he was signed to three films, which can either be Hulk movies or Avenger movies or both. It doesn't mean Marvel has to use the character again or even make more Hulk movies in the future.
Yes, it does. He also said that they have already incorporated his character in a film, and it's unlikely it's only The Avengers.

I have really doubts that this movie will be all that great.
It´s all set on WWII, and i wouldn´t want it anyother way, but, even so, i have the feeling it will fall more on the Rocketeer than Saving Private Ryan, and bare in mind that i love the Rocketeer.
A great Captain America movie should be an extremely serious movie about war and it´s effects on everything that surrounds it, seen through the eyes of a living legend.
From the trenches, to the bombardments, to the concentration camps...all from the prespective of a guy that, all he really wanted was to serve his country, and found out it wasn´t about America, it was about the world.
And don´t even try to make it an all American movie, with flags waving in the air, because, contrary to what people think, Cap America is not about America as a country, but America as an ideal of liberty and equality, things that run across all the globe (but with diferent names, of course).
I bet it will not be like that.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know Marvel is finally saying it's all WWII, I am just hoping the big freeze is saved for the Avengers prologue - keeping Cap active at the end of his solo movie for move WWII action in the sequels!

Yeah, I know Marvel is finally saying it's all WWII, I am just hoping the big freeze is saved for the Avengers prologue - keeping Cap active at the end of his solo movie for move WWII action in the sequels!

No I'd rather this film go right up to the freeze. I'd like that moment to be his final WWII era heroic act. What better way to end is film than with the big bang?

Besides I want the end of the Cap movie to be Fury, Widow, Stark, Banner, and Thor in the Antarctic standing over Cap's frozen body.

Raiders of the Lost Ark + The Rocketeer + Saving Private Ryan= Captain America?

PERFECT!! That's exactly what I want from this film.
Joe Johnston worked on Raiders and directed The Rocketeer. Sounds perfect. Alot of folks on /film hate the ideas for this movie.

Yes, it does. He also said that they have already incorporated his character in a film, and it's unlikely it's only The Avengers.

Could be an animated film. Could be a cameo in another Marvel film. Could be a reference to his character. Could be just the Avengers movie. Nothing in that article makes me believe that Marvel has intentions of doing more Hulk films.

Last edited:
Who says they could have hulk be another film after thor/cap/im2? And he is likely going to be a factor in avengers in some way. Plus marvel doesnt own full rights on that many guys at this point so its foolish to say they wouldnt think of another hulk solo film down the road.

Isildur´s Heir;17311402 said:
I have really doubts that this movie will be all that great.
It´s all set on WWII, and i wouldn´t want it anyother way, but, even so, i have the feeling it will fall more on the Rocketeer than Saving Private Ryan, and bare in mind that i love the Rocketeer.
A great Captain America movie should be an extremely serious movie about war and it´s effects on everything that surrounds it, seen through the eyes of a living legend.
From the trenches, to the bombardments, to the concentration camps...all from the prespective of a guy that, all he really wanted was to serve his country, and found out it wasn´t about America, it was about the world.
And don´t even try to make it an all American movie, with flags waving in the air, because, contrary to what people think, Cap America is not about America as a country, but America as an ideal of liberty and equality, things that run across all the globe (but with diferent names, of course).
I bet it will not be like that.

I hate to share in your view of negativity. There's no doubt this will be a fun, entertaining film, but it might not be the ideal Captain America movie.
I have a feeling that instead of an in depth character study masterpiece, on par with "Saving Private Ryan", it will as you said be a fun action serial akin to "Raiders of the Lost Ark". Which isn't entirely bad, just not ideal.

You know what?
I prefer "Raiders of the Lost Ark" to "Saving Private Ryan".

Not only as films, but as templates for the Cap movie. It's just a gut feeling, I think an overserious movie, with concentration camps et al would be a disaster at the box office. First, because all this drama is not the kind of thing the general audience wants to see in a summer movie. Second, you can make a fun, intelligent, action packed movie set in WW II without having to go the "Schindler's List" or "The Pianist" route. You have "The Cross of Iron", "The Great Escape" and now "Inglorious Basterds" as examples of fantastic WW II films that don't take themselves so seriously, are only preocupied in showing the good guys kicking some nazi asses, and are all the better for it.

Cap, IMO, should have that kind of tone. Hey, it worked for Indy. :oldrazz:

I am diggin the direction they are going with Cap :up:

Is Rocketeer a movie I can see any where?

You should definitely catch that. I'm am sure it will look cheezy compared to today's standards but it was a decent film back in the day. And Connolley was hot as **** back then, so that counts for something.

Rocketeer is one of my favourite movies ever. It's bloody fantastic. :woot:

It's also the hottest Jennifer Connelly has ever been and that's saying something. :yay:

You know what?
I prefer "Raiders of the Lost Ark" to "Saving Private Ryan".

Not only as films, but as templates for the Cap movie. It's just a gut feeling, I think an overserious movie, with concentration camps et al would be a disaster at the box office. First, because all this drama is not the kind of thing the general audience wants to see in a summer movie. Second, you can make a fun, intelligent, action packed movie set in WW II without having to go the "Schindler's List" or "The Pianist" route. You have "The Cross of Iron", "The Great Escape" and now "Inglorious Basterds" as examples of fantastic WW II films that don't take themselves so seriously, are only preocupied in showing the good guys kicking some nazi asses, and are all the better for it.

Cap, IMO, should have that kind of tone. Hey, it worked for Indy. :oldrazz:
I couldn't agree more u don't get why people would want a overly serious war movie for cap. I mean I want them ti deal with the war and it's effect and all that but u don't want it to be depressing. And to be honest imputing cap into a saving private Ryan movie would be a bomb and come off as sort of disrespectful IMO. And a cap film needs to keep the same tone as the other marvel movies. It can be more serious but don't go crazy

The Rocketeer is in my top 5 favorite movies of all time,i love EVERYTHING about that movie,if Cap comes close to the tone and look of that movie,i will be very,very happy. Too bad Bill Campbell is too old for Cap,he's got the height and the look,and the earnest quality of Cap,just make him blond and he would have been perfect.

“It’s Raiders meets Rocketeer and Saving Private Ryan.”
I can't really ask for a better angle than that. :up:

I'm cautiously optimistic about this film. I want it to be ****ing incredible, but putting everything is the right balance is a tricky deal.

Nothing in that article makes me believe that Marvel has intentions of doing more Hulk films.

How about this one

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/her...epic-told-in-four-films-over-one-summer-.html

GB: I met Gale Ann Hurd at a producer conference in Los Angeles not long ago and she mentioned the plan to move forward with a sequel to your film “The Incredible Hulk.” Is that something you would be doing?

LL: Well, so far, no. I am contracted to do one more film with Marvel so when I’m done here with this I will go back to say to them, “Guys you need me? Is there something I can do?”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"