• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

One thing I do miss about Ang Lee's Hulk...

There were plenty of potential opportunities

the first one being the helicopter spot, we could have seen him jumping with betty, there could have been some pov jump scenes in the begining montage.

the opportunities could have been there if they wanted to put them in, same with showcasing his strength, the whole film was one big scaled down hulk to coincide with the tv series.

there's not even the 'madder he gets, stronger he gets' line in there. I mean imagine if they used that as a selling point in the film to watch his feats of strength and power get bigger the longer the fight goes on rather than lifting abominations arms up (wooo) and strangling him (yay).

yeah and off screen he lifted a mountain and fought the entire army and threw bigger tanks and suplexed a sky scraper, it was awesome...

those off screen parts were the best scenes of the entire film.

i hope when marvel take back spiderman, they do all his web swinging off screen, that would simply be AMAZING

Agreed with both of these posts, without showing the jumps, they take away one of Hulk's main abilities, its like Superman not flying or Spiderman not webbing, it was ridiculous. And yes, the Hulk seemed very powered down in this movie, especially compared to the last one.

I feel the same way, but the fact is, most people that aren't hardcore fans know the Hulk from the tv show, and they were thrown off in '03, no matter how wrong it is. With this one, I thought it was smart to try and please all these different groups of fans but obviously it didn't make much of a difference.

I can understand where someone would be out of touch if they never actually read a Hulk comic. When he breaks out of the overpass during the Campus scene, I loved his slow-mo jump to the ground, and also during the end when he leaps onto Abom and the helicopter, but indeed, it wasn't enough.

He also does get stronger the madder he gets, like during the sonic cannon part, he just doesn't get all that strong. I don't need to see him lifting mountains, but I don't think he needs two metal shields to block getting shot. Then again, that was another homage to yet another thing, The Ultimate Destruction game. I just think they spread themselves too thin trying to accommodate everything and everybody

I agree that the jumping scenes were a bright spot in a turd of a movie. It just doesnt bother me because TIH was such a better film.

I feel the same way, but the fact is, most people that aren't hardcore fans know the Hulk from the tv show, and they were thrown off in '03, no matter how wrong it is. With this one, I thought it was smart to try and please all these different groups of fans but obviously it didn't make much of a difference.

I can understand where someone would be out of touch if they never actually read a Hulk comic. When he breaks out of the overpass during the Campus scene, I loved his slow-mo jump to the ground, and also during the end when he leaps onto Abom and the helicopter, but indeed, it wasn't enough.

He also does get stronger the madder he gets, like during the sonic cannon part, he just doesn't get all that strong. I don't need to see him lifting mountains, but I don't think he needs two metal shields to block getting shot. Then again, that was another homage to yet another thing, The Ultimate Destruction game. I just think they spread themselves too thin trying to accommodate everything and everybody

Well the movies performance showed that it wasnt the jumps the people who didnt like the last movie disliked it for. IMO they shouldnt have been taken out as its one of the characters main abilities and his main route of travel. And yes I know what you mean about his powers, I was a little dissapointed that he needed to shield himself from gunfire with other objects, just made him a little bit too soft looking for me.

It was suggested when Banner woke up in Guatemala after hulking-out in Brazil.

And I agree, the jumps in Lee's movie were fabulous. You could see the wind on Hulk's face and his feeling of freedom and power.

And I agree, the jumps in Lee's movie were fabulous. You could see the wind on Hulk's face and his feeling of freedom and power.

I loved the close-up's on his face when he is jumping the freedom and power it conveys is superb, makes the Hulk look god-like which he didnt in the new movie IMO.

that scene is epic.
its like watching superman fly through hte clouds. plus the music also helps.

Well the movies performance showed that it wasnt the jumps the people who didnt like the last movie disliked it for. IMO they shouldnt have been taken out as its one of the characters main abilities and his main route of travel. And yes I know what you mean about his powers, I was a little dissapointed that he needed to shield himself from gunfire with other objects, just made him a little bit too soft looking for me.

I definitely understand what your saying. I just think that all of the Hulk's powers and strengths probably threw people off only familiar with the show, with jumping probably being chief among them. I went to see it 5 times with different people of varying knowledge, and almost across the board, the more general fans scoffed at it :cmad:

I just think it's odd (and a little funny) that the supposed "soft" looking Ang Hulk was as strong as he should be (maybe a bit too much with the whole growing nonsense) while the fierce looking TIH version is alot weaker. I still say combine both versions and we would have the perfect balance

I definitely understand what your saying. I just think that all of the Hulk's powers and strengths probably threw people off only familiar with the show, with jumping probably being chief among them. I went to see it 5 times with different people of varying knowledge, and almost across the board, the more general fans scoffed at it :cmad:

I dont think the jumps were as badly thought as originally percieved, they took them out of TIH as they thought it would effect the movies performance, then the movie barely makes more than the original anyway, which has proven them wrong IMO.

I just think it's odd (and a little funny) that the supposed "soft" looking Ang Hulk was as strong as he should be (maybe a bit too much with the whole growing nonsense) while the fierce looking TIH version is alot weaker. I still say combine both versions and we would have the perfect balance

I know, the Ang Hulk did look a lot stronger and performed much more impressive feats of strength than the TIH one did, and yet people call the TIH one 'bad-ass' and all the rest of it, its a joke. A combination of the two Hulks would be perfect though.

I loved the close-up's on his face when he is jumping the freedom and power it conveys is superb, makes the Hulk look god-like which he didnt in the new movie IMO.
that scene is epic.
its like watching superman fly through hte clouds. plus the music also helps.

That scene is beautiful. Ang Lee could portray faithfully two things; when Hulk felt chased and frustrated and when he felt free and joyful as in this scene.

I understand that the growing thing is not faithful to the comics. But how is it 'nonsense'?

I understand that the growing thing is not faithful to the comics. But how is it 'nonsense'?

I feel it is personally because it wasn't really necessary. IMO, it seemed to be more of a weird plot device to have a "King Kong" moment with the love interest than to serve any real purpose. Besides the fact that it made him look a little ridiculous, it also didn't make much sense.

Why do we need a visual cue to let us know the madder the Hulk gets, the stronger he gets? TIH did the same thing making his eyes glow brighter, I think the audience can understand how it works, Hulk gets mad, he gets stronger. Also why does he have a "roof" on how big he can get, if his anger is triggering this size change? He should've been 1000 feet tall by the end of the desert sequence, if we're using this logic.

It was just a huge departure that didn't really serve the story in any kind of way. If there was a point to it, I could've understood the need for it. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the movie, but him growing just didn't seem relevant enough to justify such a radical change to his characterization

I feel it is personally because it wasn't really necessary. IMO, it seemed to be more of a weird plot device to have a "King Kong" moment with the love interest than to serve any real purpose. Besides the fact that it made him look a little ridiculous, it also didn't make much sense.

Why do we need a visual cue to let us know the madder the Hulk gets, the stronger he gets? TIH did the same thing making his eyes glow brighter, I think the audience can understand how it works, Hulk gets mad, he gets stronger. Also why does he have a "roof" on how big he can get, if his anger is triggering this size change? He should've been 1000 feet tall by the end of the desert sequence, if we're using this logic.

It was just a huge departure that didn't really serve the story in any kind of way. If there was a point to it, I could've understood the need for it. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the movie, but him growing just didn't seem relevant enough to justify such a radical change to his characterization
I think we do need a visual cue, atleast a little one, Ang's idea of him growing made sense but most people didnt really get it, he wouldnt have kept on growing, his height at the last fight is his final one, he's a fully grown man then. TIH was all over the place and was quite crap at showing us that Hulk gets stronger the madder he gets. The thing with the eyes just didnt work because absolutely everyone i know who actually saw the movie didnt get it, i'm sure its the same in most places. Everything else they used in TIH was just cleche after cleche after cleche. Abom over powers Hulk, Hulk sees that betty's goings to die and then he over powers Abom. Spidey does the same thing in Spidey 1, does that mean he too gets stronger the madder he gets?

My point it that we do need a visual cue, especailly if you dont have any characters actually saying that on screen. Ang went too far and LL didnt go far enough. For us fans, its there, for others, it isnt.

That scene is beautiful. Ang Lee could portray faithfully two things; when Hulk felt chased and frustrated and when he felt free and joyful as in this scene.

Exactly, both of these emotions were portrayed superbly in Ang's movie, when we never really got to see the latter in TIH, which was sorely missed IMO.

I think we do need a visual cue, atleast a little one, Ang's idea of him growing made sense but most people didnt really get it, he wouldnt have kept on growing, his height at the last fight is his final one, he's a fully grown man then. TIH was all over the place and was quite crap at showing us that Hulk gets stronger the madder he gets. The thing with the eyes just didnt work because absolutely everyone i know who actually saw the movie didnt get it, i'm sure its the same in most places. Everything else they used in TIH was just cleche after cleche after cleche. Abom over powers Hulk, Hulk sees that betty's goings to die and then he over powers Abom. Spidey does the same thing in Spidey 1, does that mean he too gets stronger the madder he gets?

My point it that we do need a visual cue, especailly if you dont have any characters actually saying that on screen. Ang went too far and LL didnt go far enough. For us fans, its there, for others, it isnt.

Exactly, I know a few people who didnt get the eyes thing either, I had to explain it to them, so I totally understand why Ang did the growing thing. As you said Sava, he went a little too far with it, but also, with TIH, a lot of people didnt understand. Once again that happy medium we keep mentioning is needed. :yay:.

i'm sure we wont see the happy medium for a very long time, everything Marvel have said about TIH 2 takes be back to 04 and what Universal said about TH2 :(

Bigger monster is able to make bigger destruction. That doesn't make sense?

In the movie the size-changing not only depicted visually a creature who the angrier he is the less human he looks, but it also saved Hulk from both the hulk-dog biting his shoulder and that foam-rubber the military used against him when talbot was about to drill Hulk's head.

Why do we need a visual cue to let us know the madder the Hulk gets, the stronger he gets?

Are you saying that Bruce Banner doesn't need to grow to become the Hulk, just turn ugly and green, when he gets mad? I mean, since we can dismiss the growing factor as a visual referent of becoming stronger for this character...

TIH did the same thing making his eyes glow brighter, I think the audience can understand how it works, Hulk gets mad, he gets stronger.

It can also be read as "as usual in this kind of movies, in the last minute the hero becomes unexplainably stronger and suddenly is able to defeat that enemy he couldn't beat before." After all, that always happens in Hollywood movies.

But I'm not saying the growing factor is a must for the Hulk, I just say it is not something that is inherently ridiculous or nonsensical. Growing is canon for Hulk, as I said, that's why Banner's clothes get ripped.

That said, if for this train of thought, the "glowing eyes" are equally dismissable/nonsensical as a referent of "getting angrier."

Also why does he have a "roof" on how big he can get, if his anger is triggering this size change? He should've been 1000 feet tall by the end of the desert sequence, if we're using this logic.

Because it is logic to assume that, for example, the more a man studies the more he knows, but as with everything in nature, there's a limit.

Even though I wouldn't dismiss that as a factor. Hulk can grow so much he could collapse.

That said, was there a "roof" in the movie? I don't recall that being even mentioned.

It was just a huge departure that didn't really serve the story in any kind of way. If there was a point to it, I could've understood the need for it.

As I said, it helped Hulk in a couple of ocasions and visually it was a very graphic referent. Also, it helped the Hulk to crush those helicopters and tanks.

Don't get me wrong I still enjoy the movie, but him growing just didn't seem relevant enough to justify such a radical change to his characterization

It wasn't THAT radical since, as I said, growing is essential when the man turns into the monster. And it had its narrative and visual relevance.

Exactly, both of these emotions were portrayed superbly in Ang's movie, when we never really got to see the latter in TIH, which was sorely missed IMO.

I thunk they were truly concerned about being a total opposite of Ang Lee's Hulk. It was no-no to anything that could remind Lee movie's subtleties.

i'm sure we wont see the happy medium for a very long time, everything Marvel have said about TIH 2 takes be back to 04 and what Universal said about TH2 :(

Too true. :(

I can admit I'm a bit bias, because I'm looking at this from the viewpoint of a life long fan who started in the comics, so to me, it's just common sense that doesn't need a visual cue. It would be like a subtitle popping up to explain that Superman is from another planet everytime he flies. At some point I think the common fan should get it. I don't think Spiderman's actions should warrant a change to the Hulk's core abilities

Bigger monster is able to make bigger destruction. That doesn't make sense?

In the movie the size-changing not only depicted visually a creature who the angrier he is the less human he looks, but it also saved Hulk from both the hulk-dog biting his shoulder and that foam-rubber the military used against him when talbot was about to drill Hulk's head.

Therein lies my issue, it was never a visual depiction that was needed. It was understood, and maybe some of this problem is due to the fact that the Hulk himself has limited speech in these films. The savage Hulk I know never had a problem telling someone the madder he gets the stronger he gets. Even still, I don't think it needs to involve him growing to such a ridiculous proportion to show the same thing. You mean to tell me The Incredible Hulk has to grow to break out of foam-rubber?

Are you saying that Bruce Banner doesn't need to grow to become the Hulk, just turn ugly and green, when he gets mad? I mean, since we can dismiss the growing factor as a visual referent of becoming stronger for this character...

No, I'm saying once Bruce Banner grows into the Hulk initially, which is his only mutation in almost any incarnation besides Ang Lee's, he doesn't grow again into Super-Hulk because he has to get stronger. He gets angry, he gets more strong, where is the need for another transformation?

It can also be read as "as usual in this kind of movies, in the last minute the hero becomes unexplainably stronger and suddenly is able to defeat that enemy he couldn't beat before." After all, that always happens in Hollywood movies.

True, but that shouldn't affect the Hulk and his powers and abilities. They didn't stop Spiderman from swinging on ropes of web because Batman & Daredevil swing on ropes too, its just understood that its what he does...

But I'm not saying the growing factor is a must for the Hulk, I just say it is not something that is inherently ridiculous or nonsensical. Growing is canon for Hulk, as I said, that's why Banner's clothes get ripped.

That said, if for this train of thought, the "glowing eyes" are equally dismissable/nonsensical as a referent of "getting angrier."

And that's my only point, it wasn't necessary. And neither were the glowing eyes either, which I mentioned previously. Of course Banner grows into the Hulk, that's how it should be, the Hulk doesn't grow again into a bigger Hulk though, it just didn't need to happen, and it did make him look a bit ridiculous at times, IMO of course.

Because it is logic to assume that, for example, the more a man studies the more he knows, but as with everything in nature, there's a limit.

Even though I wouldn't dismiss that as a factor. Hulk can grow so much he could collapse.

That said, was there a "roof" in the movie? I don't recall that being even mentioned.

It wasn't mentioned, but he did stop growing. Going by the logic that he's growing the madder he gets, I don't see why he stopped? The desert sequence was the most violent of the whole movie, he battled tanks, helicopters, hung onto fighter jets, fell from almost outerspace, and didn't grow another inch? The security guys outside his home shot him with pistols, and that was enough for him to grow? So there had to be some kind of roof or limit to it, and if there is a limit to it, than it automatically makes it a weak device in my book. The Hulk as originally conceived has no power limit, he grows stronger with his anger, no matter how strong that makes him. If Ang's Hulk can only be as strong as his height, what's the point?

As I said, it helped Hulk in a couple of ocasions and visually it was a very graphic referent. Also, it helped the Hulk to crush those helicopters and tanks.

Again why does he need inches in height to crush helicopters or tanks?

It wasn't THAT radical since, as I said, growing is essential when the man turns into the monster. And it had its narrative and visual relevance.

Oh it's radical, Banner transforms into the Hulk, the Hulk doesn't transform again into another version of himself. I don't want to sound like I hated the movie, I enjoy Hulk & TIH equally, but this one alteration to him does in fact bother me, to this day, because regardless of all the arguments I've seen in response, I fail to understand the real need for it :huh:

Yea, I agree that the whole idea of him growing each time he get madder is stupid, Hulk look like Green King Kong. But his fleet did show a lot more than TIH. The Growing eyes thing was not understand, even I didn’t understand that, but the emotion in both movies should of shown that he was stronger. My thought as to why they did it the way they did it in both movies is that Ang was trying for a realistic feel and he wanted to make hulk tall enough to be able to throw a tank, with out giving him the superman throw (I call it that because when superman throw anything it looks like the object had no Weight resistance even if it was 10000x bigger than him) while in TIH he was smaller and still had that Weight resistance feel too, but to have him throw a tank like Ang hulk, he would look too small to pull such a fleet, not saying he wouldn’t be able to do it if he had a chance, but it would look odd since the tank would be bigger than him.

I can admit I'm a bit bias, because I'm looking at this from the viewpoint of a life long fan who started in the comics, so to me, it's just common sense that doesn't need a visual cue. It would be like a subtitle popping up to explain that Superman is from another planet everytime he flies. At some point I think the common fan should get it. I don't think Spiderman's actions should warrant a change to the Hulk's core abilities

Supes is much more well known that Hulk is, even people who have never even heard of comicbooks know of Supes. Hulk and this power of his arent that simple. We all get a little bit stronger when we get really mad, for Hulk, it just keeps going, there is no limit. Its really hard to show that without having someone say that onscreen.

Too true. :(

good times eh?

I get this bias. Everything that wasn't in the comics first is wrong and ridiculous. Nevertheless I'm talking about the subject free from bias. I have liked Hulk all my life without the growing factor, that doesn't stop me from appreciating the innovation, as every superhero movie has them.

Therein lies my issue, it was never a visual depiction that was needed.

Then again, is it necessary for the Hulk to be green? (I mean, actually necessary, not just the "but it's the way he is in the comics" reason).

It was understood, and maybe some of this problem is due to the fact that the Hulk himself has limited speech in these films. The savage Hulk I know never had a problem telling someone the madder he gets the stronger he gets.

And wouldn't that be actually ridiculous? Hulk gets mad, then instead of visually watching how stronger he gets once he gets madder, he explains it verbally.

Even still, I don't think it needs to involve him growing to such a ridiculous proportion to show the same thing.

Just the sound of it is better than having the monster talking to his opponent about how stronger he actually is getting and the relation ship between that and his anger.

Now please define "ridiculous proportion" since the Hulk himself could be defined as a man of "ridiculous proportions." Or is there a certain size where he's badass but if you add some inches to that it goes immediately into the "ridiculous" league?

You mean to tell me The Incredible Hulk has to grow to break out of foam-rubber?

And it is well explained in the movie. Hulk is caught in the foam for several minutes, Talbot even walks next to him and threatens him with the drill and it's only when the drill is about to touch him that the Hulk's face is shown growing and the next that's shown is Hulk growing and "breaking" the foam, getting free of it.

No, I'm saying once Bruce Banner grows into the Hulk initially, which is his only mutation in almost any incarnation besides Ang Lee's, he doesn't grow again into Super-Hulk because he has to get stronger.

And Spiderman's webshooters are mechanical and the spider that bit him was radiopactive not genetically modified, and so on. Every superhero movie has changes.

But the fact that it is a change doesn't invalidate it. It is whether it works or not. Visually, the growing Hulk works as a depiction of how the madder he gets the stronger he gets the less human he turns. That's not forcing anyone to like it, just to get it.

He gets angry, he gets more strong, where is the need for another transformation?

Where's the need for the original transformation? When he gets angry he gets strong. Do we need the initial growing and turning green thing to depict something that can be manifested in a number of different ways? No we don't, but the creators of Hulk thought it would be a nice touch to depict visually how the inner rage expresses externally. Same here.

I wonder how many people at first thought "Oh, a man that gets angry turns... green??? wtf. What the need for that? What does it mean to begin with"

True, but that shouldn't affect the Hulk and his powers and abilities.

And it does not. His powers and abilities remain the same.

They didn't stop Spiderman from swinging on ropes of web because Batman & Daredevil swing on ropes too, its just understood that its what he does...

I have to say that in the case of the Daredevil movie, something was needed because at more than one point Daredevil was just a blind Batman without a cape.

But no, the growing Hulk was not done because it needed to be diffrentiated from anything.

And that's my only point, it wasn't necessary. And neither were the glowing eyes either, which I mentioned previously.

But both added to the character without being a vital necessity.

It is not necessary that Hulk fights the army either, but it is a cool touch.

And I'm sorry but your point included "the fact that it made him look a little ridiculous, it also didn't make much sense" which is totally refutable.

Of course Banner grows into the Hulk, that's how it should be

Why? Because that's the way it is in comics?

Banner could turn into a human-sized creature or a grey creature. there's no actual need for the growing or the green colour.

the Hulk doesn't grow again into a bigger Hulk though, it just didn't need to happen,

Why? because it doesn't happen like that in comics?

and it did make him look a bit ridiculous at times, IMO of course.

And IYO, why and how is that exactly?

Going by the logic that he's growing the madder he gets, I don't see why he stopped?

Have you noticed kids keep growing as they live and then they grow into adults and they keep living but they stop growing at one point?

Could it be assumable that in nature things happens with a logic but with limits too?

So there had to be some kind of roof or limit to it, and if there is a limit to it, than it automatically makes it a weak device in my book. The Hulk as originally conceived has no power limit, he grows stronger with his anger, no matter how strong that makes him. If Ang's Hulk can only be as strong as his height, what's the point?

That Hulk's strenght - as unbelievable as it is - has also a limit. There's no point where the Hulk is so mad he destroys the Earth with a big stomp.

Again why does he need inches in height to crush helicopters or tanks?

Because otherwise the tanks would be too big to throw them the way he did. not because he wouldn't be as strong but it would be impossible to grab the tanks and helicopters to start with. Too little hands can't grab properly a immensely heavy object without breaking it or having it slipping from his hands.

Oh it's radical, Banner transforms into the Hulk, the Hulk doesn't transform again into another version of himself.

We already covered all the similar changes every comic book character has had in movies. All of those are as radical/non radical as this is.

I don't want to sound like I hated the movie, I enjoy Hulk & TIH equally, but this one alteration to him does in fact bother me, to this day, because regardless of all the arguments I've seen in response, I fail to understand the real need for it :huh:

There's no vital need as there's no vital need for any changes.

Then again, is it necessary for the Hulk to be green? (I mean, actually necessary, not just the "but it's the way he is in the comics" reason).

Well when your doing an adaptation from a comic, then yes it is necessary for him to be green or gray or whatever color he is from the story they're using. To change some things for a movie is expected, if it is necessary for the story and it works, as I feel it does with Nolan's Joker. Making the Hulk grow serves no purpose, we can go around this situation forever, but it doesn't serve any kind of purpose at all other than a special effect

And wouldn't that be actually ridiculous? Hulk gets mad, then instead of visually watching how stronger he gets once he gets madder, he explains it verbally.

Some could very well feel it is, but it's who he is, and who he's been for a long time. Growing to almost 20 feet tall isn't.

Now please define "ridiculous proportion" since the Hulk himself could be defined as a man of "ridiculous proportions." Or is there a certain size where he's badass but if you add some inches to that it goes immediately into the "ridiculous" league?

Oh he's definitely a ridiculous proportion in the first place, which is the point. It's hard enough to get people to buy into a 10 ft green humanoid man/monster to begin with, you make him 20 ft tall and you run the risk of making him look really ridiculous, which IMHO, he did

And it is well explained in the movie. Hulk is caught in the foam for several minutes, Talbot even walks next to him and threatens him with the drill and it's only when the drill is about to touch him that the Hulk's face is shown growing and the next that's shown is Hulk growing and "breaking" the foam, getting free of it.

It doesn't matter really, the Hulk shouldn't have to grow to break out of anything, if he's getting angrier he's gonna get stronger, if anybody can't grasp that, chances are they won't grasp him growing either

And Spiderman's webshooters are mechanical and the spider that bit him was radiopactive not genetically modified, and so on. Every superhero movie has changes.

Yeah, but in the context of a movie, Spiderman probably should have internal webs, if he can climb walls why not shoot webs like a real spider too? It makes sense to change that on some levels, making the Hulk grow because people might not understand he gets stronger doesn't

Where's the need for the original transformation? When he gets angry he gets strong. Do we need the initial growing and turning green thing to depict something that can be manifested in a number of different ways? No we don't, but the creators of Hulk thought it would be a nice touch to depict visually how the inner rage expresses externally. Same here.

I wonder how many people at first thought "Oh, a man that gets angry turns... green??? wtf. What the need for that? What does it mean to begin with".

No its not the same, his original creators decided the doctor should mutate into a monster, its a comic book so nobody was worried about "Oh, a man that gets angry turns... green??? wtf. What's the need for that? What does it mean to begin with" Once you translate that into a movie, like you said previously, some things need to change in order to make it more plausible. Just like Spiderman, if we're to believe this spider bite allows him to climb walls, why should he have to create webshooters that run out? He should be able to produce webs too, it makes plausible sense in context of the movie. Making the Hulk grow even bigger than he already is only makes the character more cartoonish, especially considering Ang Lee went out of his way to try and establish a realistic reason for Banner's mutation in the first place.

And it does not. His powers and abilities remain the same.

No they don't, he never had to grow to get strong, anywhere but this movie

I have to say that in the case of the Daredevil movie, something was needed because at more than one point Daredevil was just a blind Batman without a cape.

For all intents and purposes, Daredevil is a blind Batman without a cape, but they didn't stop him from swinging on ropes because of it, and they shouldn't change the Hulk because some people won't understand his abilities

And I'm sorry but your point included "the fact that it made him look a little ridiculous, it also didn't make much sense" which is totally refutable.

No its not, because it's my opinion. I'm not wrong because I don't agree with you, and no matter how many times we dance around this subject, I'm not going to agree with you, you can't refute someone's opinion. To me, IMO, it is ridiculous and utterly unnecessary and it doesn't make ANY sense, and it didn't need to be included. This all started because I suggested the one thing about Ang's film that bothered me, while praising his jumping and you took offense to it, which is fine. But understand, we won't all see things the same way

Last edited:
Well when your doing an adaptation from a comic, then yes it is necessary for him to be green or gray or whatever color he is from the story they're using.

Or you can take a blue and gray Batman and turn him entirely black because there's no need for the blue and grey and black works so mcuh better in a movie.

I was not asking if Hulk must be green in a movie adaptation.

I asked if there's an inherent need for the Hulk (as a character, not as in an adaptation of the comics) to be green.

Hulk could have stayed gray as originally conceived. And we know it wasn't any "need" what made Stan lee to make Hulk green. It was a practical decision because the printing machine wouldn't make a good gray.

THAT unnecessary the green it was from an artistic or narrative point of view.

Ang Lee had better reasons to make his Hulk growing than a defective printing machine.

To change some things for a movie is expected, if it is necessary for the story and it works, as I feel it does with Nolan's Joker. Making the Hulk grow serves no purpose, we can go around this situation forever, but it doesn't serve any kind of purpose at all other than a special effect

I'll quote myself:

"Visually, the growing Hulk works as a depiction of how the madder he gets the stronger he gets the less human he turns."

"the size-changing not only depicted visually a creature who the angrier he is the less human he looks, but it also saved Hulk from both the hulk-dog biting his shoulder and that foam-rubber the military used against him when talbot was about to drill Hulk's head."

So yes, it serves a purpose, both narratively and visually.

Some could very well feel it is, but it's who he is, and who he's been for a long time. Growing to almost 20 feet tall isn't.

So if the Hulk has ridiculous aspects that are in the comics, you're ok with it.

It is not being ridiculous what disturbs you, it is if it wasn't in the comics before.

That said, you have to admit how general auidiences had problems with Hulk jumping miles. And well, that comes directly from the comics. So it seems people won't accept everything from the coimics either.

Oh he's definitely a ridiculous proportion in the first place, which is the point. It's hard enough to get people to buy into a 10 ft green humanoid man/monster to begin with, you make him 20 ft tall and you run the risk of making him look really ridiculous, which IMHO, he did

Yes, that's why people laugh at King Kong. I mean, a 20 feet gorilla/monster? That's probably a "ridiculously proportioned" ape. It's hard enough to get people to buy into a 10 ft monster to begin with, you make him 20 ft tall and you run the risk of making him look really ridiculous.

Don't they see that a 10 feet gorilla is much more acceptable for audiences to get.

And don't make me start with Godzilla.

So I get that somewhere between 10 and 20 feet there's a magic point where things change from great to ridiculous. You're to state exactly where. I wait for your answer.

It doesn't matter really, the Hulk shouldn't have to grow to break out of anything, if he's getting angrier he's gonna get stronger, if anybody can't grasp that, chances are they won't grasp him growing either

Or maybe a visual stimulus will make them get that a bigger monster is naturally able to do bigger destruction.

Yeah, but in the context of a movie, Spiderman probably should have internal webs, if he can climb walls why not shoot webs like a real spider too?

I'm not talking about how it works in the context but what's the NEED for that change? Since you asked about the need for the growing Hulk.

I can argue the need for the growing Hulk (read above).

What can you argue in favour of the organic webshooter's NEED?

That said, real spiders can crawl walls, yes, but the way they produce spiderwebs is not out of their wrists exactly. And they take quite a long time to produce a single thread.

So, what sense does make to have Peter shooting webs from his wrists like he does? It is not accurate to either comic book or real spiders in nature. Not to mention it serves absolutely no narrative or visual purpose in either of the movies.

Any possible purpose or need for the organic webshooters?

But talking about the context I can actually paraphrase you:

Yeah, but in the context of a movie, Hulk probably could keep growing, if gamma rays make him grow into the Hulk because of rage why not keep growing because of rage if he's still irradiated by gamma rays?

No its not the same, his original creators decided the doctor should mutate into a monster, its a comic book so nobody was worried about "Oh, a man that gets angry turns... green??? wtf. What's the need for that? What does it mean to begin with" Once you translate that into a movie, like you said previously, some things need to change in order to make it more plausible. Just like Spiderman, if we're to believe this spider bite allows him to climb walls, why should he have to create webshooters that run out? He should be able to produce webs too, it makes plausible sense in context of the movie.

It is anything but plausible to be able to shoot webs from your wrists when spiders CAN NOT actually do that.

It is, in fact, much more plausible to be able to create mechanical webshooters than to obtain powers spiders do not have.

Unless Peter could produce webs the way real spiders actually do.

But truth is that the organic webshooters and the growing Hulk were changes the directors introduced because they thought they would work. Difference is the growing Hulk had a visual purpose and it helped the Hulk in the movie. The organic webshooters were a mere excuse for a couple of so-called comedic scenes. It was actually better in comics, when Spidey could run out of spiderweb adding some inherent danger in the fact that he could suddenly lack of that weapon.

No they don't, he never had to grow to get strong, anywhere but this movie

And yet the madder he gets the stronger he gets, he can still leap miles and everything else remains the same. Like with Spiderman.

For all intents and purposes, Daredevil is a blind Batman without a cape, but they didn't stop him from swinging on ropes because of it, and they shouldn't change the Hulk because some people won't understand his abilities

It wasn't because some people wouldn't understand it. Same with glowing eyes.

Glowing eyes were there bacause of the Tv series. Growing Hulk was there because of a visual depiction of his strenght. The same as Banner gets angrier and stronger by growing into the Hulk, the Hulk keeps growing according to the same principle; he keeps getting angrier and stronger.

No its not, because it's my opinion. I'm not wrong because I don't agree with you, and no matter how many times we dance around this subject, I'm not going to agree with you, you can't refute someone's opinion.

Yes I can. I can name a couple of purposes the growing Hulk actually had in the movie. That gives the device sense.

I'm yet to hear why a traditionally giant monster turns "ridiculous" by being taller.

The first Hulk was barely taller than a human being. After a while they decided to make him bigger. Did it mean to turn him into a ridiculous proportioned monster?

To me, IMO, it is ridiculous and utterly unnecessary and it doesn't make ANY sense, and it didn't need to be included. This all started because I suggested the one thing about Ang's film that bothered me, while praising his jumping and you took offense to it, which is fine. But understand, we won't all see things the same way

The thing is how we back up our opinions.

To label something as ridiculous or having no purpose because it's an opinion is quite easy. I accept it. But now let's back that up please. And by proving it, not merely repeating it.

And here I was worried that I'd have nothing to debate about for awhile, I'll at least give you credit for that :cwink:

Or you can take a blue and gray Batman and turn him entirely black because there's no need for the blue and grey and black works so mcuh better in a movie.

Exactly, it does, and there was a point to doing it, in the context of the film. It's not like a visual reference for people that may not understand the angrier the Hulk gets the stronger he gets, so let's make him 15 ft tall to help them out :huh: IF Batman truly existed, and he operated at night, it makes sense for him to dress in black, not bright blue. There is no need for the Hulk to grow, he gets stronger from anger and that's really all there needs to be to it.

I was not asking if Hulk must be green in a movie adaptation.

I asked if there's an inherent need for the Hulk (as a character, not as in an adaptation of the comics) to be green.

Hulk could have stayed gray as originally conceived. And we know it wasn't any "need" what made Stan lee to make Hulk green. It was a practical decision because the printing machine wouldn't make a good gray.

THAT unnecessary the green it was from an artistic or narrative point of view.

Ang Lee had better reasons to make his Hulk growing than a defective printing machine.

No, he really didn't. To compare the merits of changes in comics to that of movies is apples and oranges, contrary to your belief, my whole argument IS NOT that the Hulk growing isn't a part of the comics. It's that it doesn't make sense to include such a change when it doesn't serve purpose. On the other hand, I liked the fact that he made David Banner a superpowered being, I would've liked something other than a knock-off Absorbing man, but I enjoyed it, like I enjoy Nolan's Joker, so whether or not it ties into the comic book has nothing to do with it for me.

To you, him growing allows him to break out of the foam rubber, and smash helicopters and all that, I get that part. My stance is that, once he's the Hulk, he needs no further transformation to accomplish the same thing, him grabbing a helicopter at 10 ft wouldn't look any worse than him doing it at 15, or 20 or 30 ft. His main power is his anger making him stronger. I feel he shouldn't have to grow any bigger than he already is to achieve whatever he needs to.

I'll quote myself:

"Visually, the growing Hulk works as a depiction of how the madder he gets the stronger he gets the less human he turns."

"the size-changing not only depicted visually a creature who the angrier he is the less human he looks, but it also saved Hulk from both the hulk-dog biting his shoulder and that foam-rubber the military used against him when talbot was about to drill Hulk's head."

So yes, it serves a purpose, both narratively and visually.

Once again, why is a visual depiction necessary? It isn't, if he gets angrier he gets stronger, it's really quite simple. He shouldn't have to grow to break out of anything, he should've gotten more angry, like he did, and break out accordingly.

So if the Hulk has ridiculous aspects that are in the comics, you're ok with it.

It is not being ridiculous what disturbs you, it is if it wasn't in the comics before.

That said, you have to admit how general auidiences had problems with Hulk jumping miles. And well, that comes directly from the comics. So it seems people won't accept everything from the coimics either.

Once more, that was never my argument, like I stated above, I like all kinds of changes in plenty of movies that deviate from the comics, when it makes sense to do so, or if it's better than what's originally there. I like the new Watchmen ending, Nolan's Joker, Spidey with no webshooters, I could go on and on. But they all IMO either improved on the original concept, or were just better ideas. The Hulk growing in order to gain more strength is not one of them.

And to your other point, it's hard for general audiences to accept alot from the Hulk, in his truest form. So why would you go ahead and make it even more difficult by making him almost 20 ft tall like he's King Kong? Speaking of which.......

Yes, that's why people laugh at King Kong. I mean, a 20 feet gorilla/monster? That's probably a "ridiculously proportioned" ape. It's hard enough to get people to buy into a 10 ft monster to begin with, you make him 20 ft tall and you run the risk of making him look really ridiculous.

Don't they see that a 10 feet gorilla is much more acceptable for audiences to get.

And don't make me start with Godzilla.

So I get that somewhere between 10 and 20 feet there's a magic point where things change from great to ridiculous. You're to state exactly where. I wait for your answer.

King Kong and Godzilla are not at all any part human, and they're not supposed to be 10 ft. They were originally conceived as city destroying giants. Making Hulk their size is like making them 6 ft tall, it wouldn't make much sense would it? Would you accept a 7 ft Godzilla? If not, tell me why, and then explain why making Hulk 20 ft makes even a little bit more sense? The Hulks strength is derived from anger, not size or height, him growing is irrelevant to his proportional strength and the character himself.

Or maybe a visual stimulus will make them get that a bigger monster is naturally able to do bigger destruction.

I'm not talking about how it works in the context but what's the NEED for that change? Since you asked about the need for the growing Hulk.

I can argue the need for the growing Hulk (read above).

What can you argue in favour of the organic webshooter's NEED?

Visual Stimulus? I understand some people aren't the smartest, but if this isn't the easiest concept to understand of all superheroes I don't know what is.

As far as Spidey goes, its real simple, if we are to believe that this spider has infused Parker with the ability to climb walls, have strength, and a spider-sense, then shouldn't it stand to reason that he also be able to produce webs too? He can do everything else, why not that? And it doesn't matter how a real spider produces them, obviously its not through a wrist, we are talking about comic book characters here. It's the idea that the Hulk needs any extra boost is my problem.

Once again, we are to believe that a man has transformed into a powerful beast, one of the strongest beings known to the earth, I think people can believe he can break out of foam rubber or destroy a helicopter standing at 9-10 ft too.

That said, real spiders can crawl walls, yes, but the way they produce spiderwebs is not out of their wrists exactly. And they take quite a long time to produce a single thread.

So, what sense does make to have Peter shooting webs from his wrists like he does? It is not accurate to either comic book or real spiders in nature. Not to mention it serves absolutely no narrative or visual purpose in either of the movies.

Any possible purpose or need for the organic webshooters?

Just check above to the previous answer

But talking about the context I can actually paraphrase you:

Yeah, but in the context of a movie, Hulk probably could keep growing, if gamma rays make him grow into the Hulk because of rage why not keep growing because of rage if he's still irradiated by gamma rays?

Exactly, why didn't he? Why wasn't he 1000 ft tall by the end of the movie? I'll tell you why, because there wasn't any real point to it in the first place, Ang just wanted to do it like he just wanted the screen transitions, nothing more than that. His final battle with his father, he was overpowered easily, and he didn't grow at any time. There wasn't anything consistent about it in the whole film other than being thrown in when Ang figured it would look cool to do so, and therein lies my issue

It wasn't because some people wouldn't understand it. Same with glowing eyes.

Glowing eyes were there bacause of the Tv series. Growing Hulk was there because of a visual depiction of his strenght. The same as Banner gets angrier and stronger by growing into the Hulk, the Hulk keeps growing according to the same principle; he keeps getting angrier and stronger.

No, the white eyes to show the start of the transformation into the Hulk was from the TV show, and once again, was a good idea that built on the original. The glowing eyes from TIH movie was unnecessary as well, why should his eyes glow even brighter than they already are to show the same thing? Once again, the madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets, why is that so hard to understand or get across onscreen?

Yes I can. I can name a couple of purposes the growing Hulk actually had in the movie. That gives the device sense.

I'm yet to hear why a traditionally giant monster turns "ridiculous" by being taller.

The first Hulk was barely taller than a human being. After a while they decided to make him bigger. Did it mean to turn him into a ridiculous proportioned monster?

The thing is how we back up our opinions.

To label something as ridiculous or having no purpose because it's an opinion is quite easy. I accept it. But now let's back that up please. And by proving it, not merely repeating it.

To you it might, once again its an opinion and your entitled to it, but your not going to discredit mine at all. You haven't proven anything, you just stated the scenes where the size change took place, which I already know, as I've seen the film too. That doesn't make it a good idea in my personal view, however. Furthermore, everything you've said over these last couple of days has been backed up, or refuted, so It may seem like repeating to you, but I'm obviously not stating my stance clear enough, so I say it again. And if we are to do this dance another time, I promise you'll hear some of the same things once more...

And here I was worried that I'd have nothing to debate about for awhile, I'll at least give you credit for that :cwink:

:joker:

Exactly, it does, and there was a point to doing it, in the context of the film.

Same with Ang Lee's Hulk. In the context of the film - not the way it was originally conceived in comics - it works and has a point.

It's not like a visual reference for people that may not understand the angrier the Hulk gets the stronger he gets, so let's make him 15 ft tall to help them out :huh:

That was never the idea behind the growing Hulk to start with. It's not done in case people won't understand.

IF Batman truly existed, and he operated at night, it makes sense for him to dress in black, not bright blue.

If anger makes Banner grow into a monster it makes sense than more anger would Hulk keep growing.

There is no need for the Hulk to grow, he gets stronger from anger and that's really all there needs to be to it.

There's no need for the Hulk to be green either. Being green is in no way related to the fact that he's a monster, or that he gets stronger the angrier he is.

But he is green in spite of not being necessary. Same with growing.

No, he really didn't. To compare the merits of changes in comics to that of movies is apples and oranges, contrary to your belief, my whole argument IS NOT that the Hulk growing isn't a part of the comics.

It's the need of it. But many other things in Hulk are as needless as that one.

To you, him growing allows him to break out of the foam rubber, and smash helicopters and all that, I get that part.

Except it is not only "to me." It is in the movie, you can check.

My stance is that, once he's the Hulk, he needs no further transformation to accomplish the same thing, him grabbing a helicopter at 10 ft wouldn't look any worse than him doing it at 15, or 20 or 30 ft. His main power is his anger making him stronger. I feel he shouldn't have to grow any bigger than he already is to achieve whatever he needs to.

He shouldn't become greeen in order to be stronger or a monster either.

But the point is that, as you say, in the context of the movie, growing helped him, so it's not just a thing they put there without using it. In the context of the movie, Hulk needed to grow more to grab the tanks the way he did, to get free from the foam rubber and to break the jaw of that dog.

In contrast, the organic webshooters concept, even if they make sense - which they didn't - weren't used at all within the movies. They were just a needless variation of the mechanical webshooters but in the movies there was no actual plot device considering importance of the webshooters being organic instead of being mechanical. So, why change them? At least in the Hulk you can see how useful it was for certain circumstances.

You say "Hulk doesn't need to grow to get free from the foam rubber" I say "Hulk doesn't need to be green-skinned in order to be a monster."

Once again, why is a visual depiction necessary? It isn't, if he gets angrier he gets stronger, it's really quite simple. He shouldn't have to grow to break out of anything, he should've gotten more angry, like he did, and break out accordingly.

If visuals depictions are not necessary, why make him green? He can be an angry monster without changing his skin color.

Once more, that was never my argument, like I stated above, I like all kinds of changes in plenty of movies that deviate from the comics, when it makes sense to do so, or if it's better than what's originally there. I like the new Watchmen ending, Nolan's Joker, Spidey with no webshooters, I could go on and on. But they all IMO either improved on the original concept, or were just better ideas. The Hulk growing in order to gain more strength is not one of them.

Many of those changes help to make a point; they're interesting variations. And the point is to use them within the context of a film. Spiderman's webshooters being organic made no difference with the comics as they were not used in any special way that made them significantly different from the original source.

Growing Hulk made a difference; it kept the stronger = bigger idea behind the very Banner-Hulk transformation (if anger made him bigger, more anger will keep him growing). And then it was used to help Hulk when he was in danger.

And to your other point, it's hard for general audiences to accept alot from the Hulk, in his truest form. So why would you go ahead and make it even more difficult by making him almost 20 ft tall like he's King Kong?

Or including another super-powered being in the same movie? I mean, since it is "so hard" to have them accepting just one?

King Kong and Godzilla are not at all any part human, and they're not supposed to be 10 ft. They were originally conceived as city destroying giants. Making Hulk their size is like making them 6 ft tall, it wouldn't make much sense would it? Would you accept a 7 ft Godzilla? If not, tell me why, and then explain why making Hulk 20 ft makes even a little bit more sense? The Hulks strength is derived from anger, not size or height, him growing is irrelevant to his proportional strength and the character himself.

It makes more sense since Godzilla and King Kong don't transform into something else nor are they the result of a transformation that's based on size changing as the Hulk. Therefore there's no reason on their size being changed based on that.

But the point remains, giant size is not ridiculous for a monster meant to be inhumanly giant.

Visual Stimulus? I understand some people aren't the smartest, but if this isn't the easiest concept to understand of all superheroes I don't know what is.

It doesn't have to be since "getting" the idea behind 'the angrier he is the stronger he gets' concept is not the point.

Visual stimulus as in green color. Green skin in Hulk is just a visual stimulus, it's not meant for people to "get" he's a monster. Or to get anything for that matter. It's just an option.

As far as Spidey goes, its real simple, if we are to believe that this spider has infused Parker with the ability to climb walls, have strength, and a spider-sense, then shouldn't it stand to reason that he also be able to produce webs too? He can do everything else, why not that? And it doesn't matter how a real spider produces them, obviously its not through a wrist, we are talking about comic book characters here. It's the idea that the Hulk needs any extra boost is my problem.

In fact it's not a problem at all. It's just a thing that wasn't done like that in comic books.

And yes, organic webshooters might be easy to buy once you've bought a man with spider powers.

The real question is What's the actuall need for them, as opposed to mechanical webshooters. What special purpose do they accomplish?

Once again, we are to believe that a man has transformed into a powerful beast, one of the strongest beings known to the earth, I think people can believe he can break out of foam rubber or destroy a helicopter standing at 9-10 ft too.

And once they believe that, they can believe he can grow even more with no problem.

Just check above to the previous answer

There's no answer in there on what's the actual need of the organic webshooters. We can say they might be believable or coherent with the concept of Spiderman, but what's the need for them if you already have the mechanical webshooters doing the same thing?

Exactly, why didn't he? Why wasn't he 1000 ft tall by the end of the movie?

Because, as in every human being and animal on this planet, feelings and emotions like anger can get stronegr but they always have a limit. Nothing in this planet can feel unlimited rage.

I'll tell you why, because there wasn't any real point to it in the first place, Ang just wanted to do it like he just wanted the screen transitions, nothing more than that.

Yes. There was an aesthetic point behind it.

His final battle with his father, he was overpowered easily, and he didn't grow at any time. There wasn't anything consistent about it in the whole film other than being thrown in when Ang figured it would look cool to do so, and therein lies my issue

In fact he kept growing the angrier he got. So it was consistent with itself. In the final battle it's clear that Hulk was partially de-powered by his absorbing father.

No, the white eyes to show the start of the transformation into the Hulk was from the TV show,

Isn't it that what I meant when I said "Glowing eyes were there because of the Tv series"?

Good reader, good replier.

and once again, was a good idea that built on the original. The glowing eyes from TIH movie was unnecessary as well, why should his eyes glow even brighter than they already are to show the same thing? Once again, the madder Hulk gets, the stronger Hulk gets, why is that so hard to understand or get across onscreen?

The growing Hulk depicts visually that, based on the inherent Hulk power that makes a man to grow suddenly because of rage. Why is that so hard to understand or get across the net?

To you it might, once again its an opinion and your entitled to it, but your not going to discredit mine at all.

Opinion like "I didn't like it" probably no, nor am I interested in it.

But opinions like "it served no purpose" sure I can. The growing Hulk had a purpose in the movie as I have proven.

Opinion like "that size was ridiculous" I just beg to be elaborated since it sounds merely like a case of whimsical labelling.

You haven't proven anything, you just stated the scenes where the size change took place, which I already know, as I've seen the film too.

No, I have mentioned when the size change had a point, allowing Hulk to beat a dog and to get free from the foam rubber. It was not a case of "the thing was there" but "the point of the thing being there."

That doesn't make it a good idea in my personal view, however.

No, the point behind it, which is on those scenes, gives the growing Hulk a point, which you claim is non-existent.

Furthermore, everything you've said over these last couple of days has been backed up, or refuted, so It may seem like repeating to you, but I'm obviously not stating my stance clear enough, so I say it again. And if we are to do this dance another time, I promise you'll hear some of the same things once more...

I'm optimistic enough to hope you'll address some core points I have been asking long enough.

Ok, El Payaso, for fear of reiterating myself yet again, or repeating as you say, let me ask you some questions. Let's say in Ang's Hulk, the Hulk was Blue, 30 ft tall with the ability to grow yet bigger, who changed not by anger or even night time, but by hunger. Would you still call these changes ok, because by your logic, none of the other attributes of the Hulk serve a purpose either. You pointed out that while the Hulk growing may not have been necessary, neither is the fact that he's green, or that he has to grow initially from Banner to Hulk either. So, with that in mind, would you accept this new version, had Ang wanted to go in that direction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"