• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Daredevil Organized Crime/The Marvel Mob

Maybe the Mob would sue if you use it ;)

Anyway, I just read a Daredevil comic that mentioned La Costa Nostra by name, so I think it's a better name to use.

When audiences hear "the maggia" they'll wonder if they misheard "the mafia". It does sound a bit silly. I don't like in CA: TFA how Hydra have completely stood in for the Nazis.

In the case of the mafia, are they a specific crime family or is just the generic word for the mob? Because if it is, then that could just be used. Why would a crime syndicate rebrand themselves as the maggia? It's not like it will make them sound more legit.

I thought the "Maggia" sounded stupid when I was a kid. Definitely one of the things in the comics that should stay in the comics.

When audiences hear "the maggia" they'll wonder if they misheard "the mafia". It does sound a bit silly. I don't like in CA: TFA how Hydra have completely stood in for the Nazis.

In the case of the mafia, are they a specific crime family or is just the generic word for the mob? Because if it is, then that could just be used. Why would a crime syndicate rebrand themselves as the maggia? It's not like it will make them sound more legit.

They show that the Red Skull was an even bigger threat and that even Hitler couldn't control him.

The Mafia is what the Sicilian people called the organized crime groups on their island. In the late 1800s, they were reported as Mafia or Mafie (which is plural). In the 20th Century in the United States, the Mafia began to grow in power. Eventually, Lucky Luciano got all the Italian organized crime groups to join together to form a criminal organization. When asked for a name, he said there would be no name for "our thing" (our thing in Italian = La Cosa Nostra). After the Second World War, he went to Sicily to help organize the Sicilian side of things. But La Cosa Nostra is Sicilian. In Southern Italy, there's the Camorra and N'drangheta. I'm uncertain if they're Mafia too or if Mafia is reserved for La Cosa Nostra.

Either way, Mafia is broad enough to embrace many families (obviously, from Godfather fame, there's the five families). In addition, Luciano founded the National Crime Syndicate, which included non-Italian groups (usually Jewish).

Or they can just call it the Mob. That covers all ethnicities. Works well enough for Batman.

Or they can just call it the Mob. That covers all ethnicities. Works well enough for Batman.

Then they could fit this song in there somewhere.
[YT]E3mWpr5N-mM[/YT]

Or just refer to the leader of that group. Those are the Owl's men. Or the Kingpins boys. Or whoever is head of the Maggia family they are referring to.

But really, when has the Maggia ever played an important role in DD's mythos? I don't have any problem with using the Maggia per say, but I don't want them shoe horned into this series just to fit in every mob boss that ever appear in Marvel comics. If guys like Hammerhead and Silvermane appear, it should be for an important plot reason and frankly I think Owl and Kingpin are enough crime lords for the first season, more crime lords should only appear if Owl dies in the first season.

Plus does Marvel have the rights to Silvermane or Hammerhead? I also don't think characters like Count Nefaria or Madame Masque would fit well in DD's world.

They show that the Red Skull was an even bigger threat and that even Hitler couldn't control him.

Regardless, Red Skull comes off as much more vile and threatening in the comics.

The Nazi iconography is always chilling and there isn't a more despicable set of villains then them.

Red Skull is much more effective as a villain when his origin shows him being Hitlers right hand man instead of a Pinky and the Brain type cheeseball.

Regardless, Red Skull comes off as much more vile and threatening in the comics.

The Nazi iconography is always chilling and there isn't a more despicable set of villains then them.

Red Skull is much more effective as a villain when his origin shows him being Hitlers right hand man instead of a Pinky and the Brain type cheeseball.

Agreed.

The thing is that everyone knows the Nazis, and they don't need to be set up as much as Hydra to make them seem evil. Do audiences really get that Hydra are meant to be worse than the Nazis and Red Skull worse than Hitler? I don't feel that it really came off that way.

With the Mafia, that already has a certain infamy about it. Why not use that instead of creating something called the Maggia and trying to sell audiences on the fact that they're equal to or worse than the Mafia? I think people would also just laugh when they hear "the Maggia" because it sounds so similar. It would sound almost like a spoof.

Anyway, it doesn't really have any Daredevil connection, so it's all a moot point.

What about using some mobsters from Luke Cage's rogues gallery? Willis Stryker, Piranha Jones, Big Ben Donovan (who eventually became a lawyer), John Bushmaster, etc. It would help tie things together and there wouldn't be a need to import Spidey's rogues.

I'm sure they'll appear, but they'd probably appear in Luke Cage's show.

Speaking of Luke Cage, I wonder what they will do to replace the Maggia in his story. Maybe Fisk will be involved in that.

But seriously, whats the deal with all the Russians on the cast list? Every day theres a new one. "Russian Mobster", "Russian driver" "Pyotr", "Gun Dealer"(played by a Russian actor), "Aslan"(another Russian actor from Moscow), etc.

Is Kingpin outsourcing thugs or something? Or is there a storyline in DD that involves Russians

The Russian mob is a big organized crime group in the United States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"