Original Obi-Wan Kenobi Starring Ewan McGregor on Disney+ Thread

https://collider.com/obi-wan-kenobi-series-oshea-jackson-jr-comments-lando-the-volume-interview/

COLLIDER: As you may or may not know, I am a Star Wars fan. There is no way that I am not going to sit here and ask you a question about Kenobi. But I know you've got to be careful with your answers. I'll just say, were you a Star Wars fan going in? Was this one of these things where they called you about Kenobi, you're like, "Are you effing kidding me?"

O’SHEA JACKSON JR: Yeah. I was watching Star Wars before I came down here right now. I'm a real big Star Wars fan. I had auditioned for Lando for the Solo film, and when I didn't get it, it crushed me. I was like, "You know what? I quit. I'm going back to being a writer. I'm done." I was filming Swagger, and my agents were like, "Yo, we need you free in the next two days, noon." I'm like, "All right." They're like, "Just listen. You want to take this meeting."

So I took it and it was Deb, Lord Deb. Shout out to Lord Deb. Deborah Chow. She gave me an opportunity of a lifetime and it's a... God, I can't wait to talk about it so bad. I want to talk about it so bad, but I know Mickey probably still has my phone bugged, and I just love my family.

I really cannot wait to talk to you about it. Can you tease? Were you able to touch and use a lightsaber? Are you allowed to say it?

JACKSON JR: All I'm going to say is, I really am a fan of Ewan McGregor. That's my boy. And my man, Kumail. Kumail is my dog. Kumail's really been a major motivation for me when it comes to getting in shape for Den of Thieves 2, because of just how jacked he got for Eternals. Yeah, he's got his line open for me, any questions that I need. Yeah, he's got an action figure now, because he's in the Eternals. I'm going to need that. He said he'll give me a good price for it. So we'll see how that goes.

I got news for you. When you're in Star Wars, most likely you'll also be an action figure. This is something I think you can talk about, though. They use this really cool technology, The Volume, when you're making Star Wars. I wanted to know, what was your reaction working with The Volume technology? What impressed you? What was cool about it?

JACKSON JR: What's so crazy about The Volume is, you really forget. After a while, you forget that you're just in this studio. The scariest part about it is when they turn it off. Because you'll be sitting somewhere, some cave in the middle or whatever, you got background on the volume working around and you get so engulfed in the scene that when they turn it off and the entire room you're in just goes white. It's kind of like a Matrix moment, when he visits the architect. It was a crazy experience.

It really would've saved a lot of people back in the day to have that type of technology. I could just imagine, filming on location in these... No disrespect, but these terrible places. So it definitely saved a lot of man hours. It's hard to explain the feeling that it gives you walking in there. The abilities that it brings as filmmakers, it just gives us so much that normally you'd have to be playing pretend on a green screen. Or just, "Okay, this looks like this," and getting terrible descriptions. Yeah, it's a time-saver, it's a lifesaver. And God, somebody, please give me more Star Wars jobs.

I'd believe it even if it's a teaser since they wrapped filming. I am so ready for this.

Yeah, and also one for Andor - they wanna showcase the projects for 2022. If not there where else?

Jimmy Smits is returning so I guess that means we are going to see Luke and Leia in the show. It will be interesting to see their different lifestyles.

Kenobi the first show to have its trailer come out six months after its premiere. :hehe: :o

Apparently we are also going to see
the inquisitors too. It will be interesting seeing them in live action.
these are just rumors.

these are just rumors.
Apparently Rupert Friend is playing the Grand Inquisitor and I have to say based on looks alone that's spot-on casting if the rumors are true.

image0-2022-02-08T112429.700.jpeg

Apparently Rupert Friend is playing the Grand Inquisitor and I have to say based on looks alone that's spot-on casting if the rumors are true.

I don't think these inquisitors are really any match for Kenobi, so this will only be for some sort of false "tension" I guess. Still it will be cool to see some lightsaber combat.

The Inquisitors were a given popping up as they appear in one of the concept art pieces that have been released

these are just rumors.

Not just rumours.

They were shown in concept art as well, so pretty much confirmed.

Great. I’ve always wanted to see them get done in live action.

I'd be ok with Friend, but if true, did Isaacs say no or have a scheduling issue or something? It'd be a shame to see the Grand Inquisitor but not have Isaacs in the role.

I'd be ok with Friend, but if true, did Isaacs say no or have a scheduling issue or something? It'd be a shame to see the Grand Inquisitor but not have Isaacs in the role.
Oh right, I forgot that Isaacs voiced him. Maybe they did ask him and he turned it down? Maybe he felt like he was too old? He could have also just provided the voice similar to Darth Maul in TPM.

Timeline wise this is slightly confusing, in canon A new Hope takes place 19 years after Revenge of the Sith, making Old Ben Kenobi around the age of 57. Yet this upcoming series takes place 10 years after ROTS. How do you justify the aging process on Kenobi?!

You say A new hope takes place 19yrs after Revenge of the Sith, so that would have made Kenobi 38 in that movie. Then you say this series is 10 years after Revenge of the Sith, making Kenobi 48. Ewan is 50 right now so he is in the range. I am guessing you are referring to how old Kenobi is in A New Hope.
The problem is you had an older man in Alec playing younger, he was around 63 in A New Hope. That is of course if Alec was supposed to be younger in that movie. Now you have a younger man Ewan who is 50 and will have to appear around 57 or 63 at some point. I think makeup and visual effects will handle this.

Timeline wise this is slightly confusing, in canon A new Hope takes place 19 years after Revenge of the Sith, making Old Ben Kenobi around the age of 57. Yet this upcoming series takes place 10 years after ROTS. How do you justify the aging process on Kenobi?!

You don't. You ask the audience to accept that perceived age is not going to match up between shows made 50 years apart, given different standards of health and lifespan, and move on to just watching the show.

It's almost unfortunate that Ewan McGregor is aging so gracefully. It only makes the age disparity more apparent. Continuity is what it is at this point. The most dramatic issues were caused by Lucas himself.

I’m assuming Obi-Wan goes through some major stress, between the new series and Rebels, that will cause his hair to go all white

It's amusing to see people not getting, a guy can go almost completely grey in 2 years getting in his 50's.

Reactions: Bim

Not bad for a guy who died in his first appearance.

I think he looks older in the show than he does in that particular promo pic.

kahoot.png

What is he, late 40s here? Looks fine to me.

Last edited:

Literally nothing confusing or off about it at all. Kenobi was 38 in ROTS, this show is 10 years after that. Which would make him 48. And Ewan is 50. Then ANH is 9 years after Kenobi. Which makes him 57 in ANH. Guinness was 62. So it always confuses me when some fans think it’s all so off or unreasonable when it’s perfectly in line basically.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"