Oxford Professor says we live in a computer.

Logan's Runt

Runtmuffin
Reaction score
Until I talked to Nick Bostrom, a philosopher at Oxford University, it never occurred to me that our universe might be somebody else’s hobby. I hadn’t imagined that the omniscient, omnipotent creator of the heavens and earth could be an advanced version of a guy who spends his weekends building model railroads or overseeing video-game worlds like the Sims.

But now it seems quite possible. In fact, if you accept a pretty reasonable assumption of Dr. Bostrom’s, it is almost a mathematical certainty that we are living in someone else’s computer simulation.
This simulation would be similar to the one in “The Matrix,” in which most humans don’t realize that their lives and their world are just illusions created in their brains while their bodies are suspended in vats of liquid. But in Dr. Bostrom’s notion of reality, you wouldn’t even have a body made of flesh. Your brain would exist only as a network of computer circuits.
You couldn’t, as in “The Matrix,” unplug your brain and escape from your vat to see the physical world. You couldn’t see through the illusion except by using the sort of logic employed by Dr. Bostrom, the director of the Future of Humanity Institute at Oxford.
Dr. Bostrom assumes that technological advances could produce a computer with more processing power than all the brains in the world, and that advanced humans, or “posthumans,” could run “ancestor simulations” of their evolutionary history by creating virtual worlds inhabited by virtual people with fully developed virtual nervous systems.

Some computer experts have projected, based on trends in processing power, that we will have such a computer by the middle of this century, but it doesn’t matter for Dr. Bostrom’s argument whether it takes 50 years or 5 million years. If civilization survived long enough to reach that stage, and if the posthumans were to run lots of simulations for research purposes or entertainment, then the number of virtual ancestors they created would be vastly greater than the number of real ancestors.
There would be no way for any of these ancestors to know for sure whether they were virtual or real, because the sights and feelings they’d experience would be indistinguishable. But since there would be so many more virtual ancestors, any individual could figure that the odds made it nearly certain that he or she was living in a virtual world.

The math and the logic are inexorable once you assume that lots of simulations are being run. But there are a couple of alternative hypotheses, as Dr. Bostrom points out. One is that civilization never attains the technology to run simulations (perhaps because it self-destructs before reaching that stage). The other hypothesis is that posthumans decide not to run the simulations.
“This kind of posthuman might have other ways of having fun, like stimulating their pleasure centers directly,” Dr. Bostrom says. “Maybe they wouldn’t need to do simulations for scientific reasons because they’d have better methodologies for understanding their past. It’s quite possible they would have moral prohibitions against simulating people, although the fact that something is immoral doesn’t mean it won’t happen.”
Dr. Bostrom doesn’t pretend to know which of these hypotheses is more likely, but he thinks none of them can be ruled out. “My gut feeling, and it’s nothing more than that,” he says, “is that there’s a 20 percent chance we’re living in a computer simulation.”
My gut feeling is that the odds are better than 20 percent, maybe better than even. I think it’s highly likely that civilization could endure to produce those supercomputers. And if owners of the computers were anything like the millions of people immersed in virtual worlds like Second Life, SimCity and World of Warcraft, they’d be running simulations just to get a chance to control history — or maybe give themselves virtual roles as Cleopatra or Napoleon.

It’s unsettling to think of the world being run by a futuristic computer geek, although we might at last dispose of that of classic theological question: How could God allow so much evil in the world? For the same reason there are plagues and earthquakes and battles in games like World of Warcraft. Peace is boring, Dude.

Article Link:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/14/science/14tier.html?ex=1187928000&en=25920f406ca9dc87&ei=5070

Link to Bostrom's paper:
http://www.simulation-argument.com/simulation.html

Someone has watched The Matrix a hundred or so too many times. :dry:

jag

I thought we lived in a bag of marbles? :huh:

If this professor's 20% is correct, those who promote "intelligent design" would **** themselves, since they didn't expect that kind of design :woot:

If this professor's 20% is correct, those who promote "intelligent design" would **** themselves, since they didn't expect that kind of design :woot:

God is just a computer geek. :woot: Probably gets beat up by the other gods.

God is just a computer geek. :woot: Probably gets beat up by the other gods.

He probably runs Windows Vista and gets teased mercilessly by all the really smart Gods who use Macs. :p

jag

Jesus. Now scientists are getting behind this idea?:csad:

Life was so much easier when is was just one god. To think that my birth name is handle for some nerd who is controling my every movement. Is just little eerie. Also to think why he would have me typing this into a message board computer is little weird as well.

Jesus. Now scientists are getting behind this idea?:csad:

Life was so much easier when is was just one god. To think that my birth name is handle for some nerd who is controling my every movement. Is just little eerie. Also to think why he would have me typing this into a message board computer is little weird as well.

shut up NPC

To think that my birth name is handle for some nerd who is controling my every movement. Is just little eerie.
As opposed to the non-eerie Christian God who sits around all day watching everyone's movements like some sort of deranged celestial stalker?

Wait, wait, wait...does this mean that I can actually PvP people now?

Hell yes! Now I'm gonna run around with a nail-gun shooting people and flinging feces at them screaming, "OWNED NOOB!" and, "BOOM, HEADSHOT!" at the top of my lungs! Oh, happiness....:yay:

As opposed to the non-eerie Christian God who sits around all day watching everyone's movements like some sort of deranged celestial stalker?

Yeah, little. At least with a all knowing god. I wasn't aware of his intentions.

I have played WOW. I have looked into the eyes of my creator. He called me a newb then shot me in the face with lightning.

I thought this thread had something to do with forum addiction. :csad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"