Please rank Inception, The Matrix, Dark City, and The Truman Show

Eh, that remains to be seen, but I kind of doubt it will, honestly.

I for one don't think Inception has or will ever have the social impact that the matrix movie created. Both are fantastic films but the matrix is in a league of its own. It's an instant classic that wasn't hyped prior to its release the way Inception was and from a creative standpoint on all levels, the matrix just shines. I saw the film last week and it could easily have been made last year.

In terms of story and quality of story I think both will be remembered the same. But people will remember The Matrix more so simply for it's "Bullet-time" scene that was copied and used so much afterwards. So from a technical standpoint is the main reason I think it still resides with people more so.
I think the Matrix reasonated with people for more reasons than bullet time. The subversive cyber punk stuck with generation X at the turn of the millinium. It was the ultimate hacker/counter-culture movie that struck at the right time. It was a final call to action for all the rebels before a new age and it fit with the times perfectly.

And the visuals, action, message and revelation (what is the matrix?) made it the movie going experience of the decade.

I think the Matrix reasonated with people for more reasons than bullet time. The subversive cyber punk stuck with generation X at the turn of the millinium. It was the ultimate hacker/counter-culture movie that struck at the right time. It was a final call to action for all the rebels before a new age and it fit with the times perfectly.

And the visuals, action, message and revelation (what is the matrix?) made it the movie going experience of the decade.

I think it was much more social then Inception yes, but that to me does not necessarily make a sci-fi better. To me some of the best sci-fi's can be timeless and ask questions that we will always ask some may not ask the questions at the right time either. I think The Matrix and Inception both are timeless stories. Just as Blade Runner really never hit with people for a long time, and some hit well at the time and still do to this day (2001). And the Matrix was hyped through word of mouth as much as Inception was so I find that to be a moot point. I remember the early reviews glowing for both, and then people came out and said you had to see it. I think Matrix was more of a social thing, and timeless, but I think Inception will equally be as timeless of the questions it too asks.

And as for the rebellion of a new age....I don't see that at all. Maybe more "Goth's" that want to rebel in High School maybe. I think that The Matrix was defining of its decade though I agree, just as TDK was for this decade and spoke to this decade and social relevance. One thing to add though, I think Inception has one thing over The Matrix in terms of maybe lasting as long is that Inception did not have two bad sequels following it, that most tease and spit on. No matter what it does some one reflect on The Matrix to the masses. But again I still think both are classics.

Again I thought you asked for my opinion..so....I gave it. ;)

Last edited:
I was going through a period of taking a lot of LSD when The Matrix came out. So, they were asking the question of 'What is the matrix?', while I was asking 'Why are my fingers glowing?' and 'Did I just say that?' It was a strange time. A good time. Once, I got lost in the craters of Morpheus' face. Maybe in ten years I'll be able to look back so fondly on Inception--doubtful as I was quitting smoking at the time.

For a long time after seeing The Matrix, before the sequels, we could get stoned in dim rooms and talk for hours about what it meant, finding parallels. Our own little easter eggs wrapped in green code. My computer-geek friend would talk jargon about binary and how nothing's ever truly deleted.... Ahh, memory lane :D

I've made my decision:

The Matrix
Inception
The Truman Show
Dark City

The Matrix

Inception

Truman Show

Dark City

1. Inception--I loved everything about it; the story, the exploration of Cobb's character, the heist film vibe, the shooting style, and the unique setting Nolan created. And while thematic development wasn't really at the forefront of the movie, it still provided interesting things to think about.

2. Dark City--I'd largely say the same things about this one that I did about Inception, but I think Inception doesn't a little more with its characters, so I put it at #1 by a small margin.

3. The Matrix--Its action is great and its themes are well developed, but they didn't stick with me as much as Inception or Dark City. Those two really got my mind racing.

I haven't seen The Truman Show in full since it first came out on video, so I can't make a call on it.

I think Inception had the same impact on the world that Matrix had in the 90's

:huh: In what way? The Matrix infiltrated far more widely into our overall pop culture far more and far faster than Inception has. The overall effect of Inceptions waits to bee seen, but the Matrix was constantly referenced and imitated and parodies in movies, tv and internet. I know people who both then and continue to now buy and wear trenchcoats specifically because of that movie. While there has been the college humor and southpark episodes of Inception, I don't think it has had anywhere near the visibility the matrix had 10-11 years ago.

Also if any Jim Carrey movie should be on this list it should be The Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless mind.

The Matrix used some of Dark City's sets as they were filmed around the same time.

The Matrix had the most impact, Inception is a great film nonetheless , I never took to Dark City the way some people have, and Truman show seems out of place here but I like it more than Dark City and appreciate it more as time goes by.

I'm one of the very few who loves Dark City on just about every level. I voted it #1 without a second's hesitation. Matrix I love and Inception and Truman Show also very good, but none of them took me the way Dark City did. One of my all time favorites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"