• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

POLL - Best Film of the 21st Century - Year 5 - 2004

Evil Twin

Sidekick
Reaction score
Winners to date:

2000: Gladiator
2001: The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
2002: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (by 1 over Spider-Man)
2003: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Best film of 2004 for me is Collateral.

Last edited:
It was between Shaun of the dead and Eternal sunshine...I chose Shaun in the end.

2004 was a more interesting year than I remembered with many good genre films and comedies. I'm mulling it over between Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Before Sunset, and Downfall.

BTW, the various Hitler remixes from Downfall never get old.

This one is a bit tougher. I'll have to think.

I voted for The Sea Inside. Powerful film.

Tough choice between Sideways, Collateral and Million Dollar Baby. I chose Sideways.

Some great movies, some really well made ones like Million Dollar Baby, Hotel Rwanda, & Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind but I'm going to go with Hellboy, something I would almost never do (put a comic book movie above anything else in the year, sorry TDK won't get my vote when the 2008 poll comes around), cut above most comic book movies which has heart at the center over action despite a decent amount and doing it well I might add when called for and just a lovely envisioned world from del Toro with memorable characters & great actors who are easy to like from the first time you meet them, Ron Perlman steals my comic book actor award of this decade.

Last edited:
Finding Neverland!!! One of my all time favorites!

Tough year!

I'm torn between Finding Neverland, Hotel Rwanda, The Passion of the Christ, The Motorcycle Diaries and The Sea Inside... i must think about it some more....

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind! Sideways and The Aviator also rule.

If 'The Aviator' was an option, that would be my choice.

I voted for Kill Bill Vol. 2. Sideways and Kung Fu Hustle are up there, too, but Kill Bill is my favorite of the three.

Oh thanks. I completely missed it :oldrazz:

This is tough. My favorites were:

Anchorman
Spiderman 2
Eternal Sunshine
Hotel Rwanda

I'm choosing Anchorman because that movie still makes laugh everytime I see it.

Collateral
Spider-Man 2
Hotel Rwanda
The Aviator

I still need to mull this over. I'm having a hard time deciding between "The Incredibles", "Spider-Man 2" and "Million Dollar Baby".

Though I haven’t seen the Sea Inside here is my pick and the following list.

1. The Aviator. I absolutely love this movie and will defend to the end why it is far superior than Eastwood’s overrated flick. Eastwood’s Mystic River is a masterpiece, as is Letters from Iwo Jima and of course Unforgiven. But I will always hate Million Dollar Baby. And it beating such a superb classy production where Scorsese finally got to duplicate the old Hollywood movies of his youth that he obviously loves in a unique and refreshing biopic that is closer to Citizen Kane (though not as good, but still) than Ray. The acting is superb and the narrative structure refreshing while visually being a nirvanic throwback to movies of the 1930s and 1940s. The cinematography is gorgeous and it features arguably DiCaprio’s most captivating performance to date (it’s a toss up with The Departed) and brilliant work from Cate Blanchett and Alan Alda as well. John C. Reilly, Kate Beckinsale and Alec Baldwin are also in fine form. This may not be a masterpiece, but it is as close as you can get and for my money it makes the mark.

The rest of the list:

2. Sideways
3. Shaun of the Dead
4. The Life Aquatic: The Story of Steve Zissou
5. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
6. Kill Bill Vol. 2
7. Hotel Rwanda
8. Spider-Man 2
9. Finding Neverland
10. Layer Cake
11. Anchorman
12. Team America
13. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
14. Garden State
15. Collateral
16. The Machinist

Granted I have yet to see The Sea Inside. Still I think it is a solid list.

I have to say that I find the spread in voting very interesting this time around. We'll see if it maintains over the month, but I like seeing diversity. Maybe it will lead to some interesting conversations.

Really close between Million Dollar Baby and The Aviator, but I ultimately went with the one that appealed to me more emotionally in Million Dollar Baby. Personally, I think that both of these are their respective director's best work this decade, which is saying something since they have both had multiple Oscar nominations. I did pick Gangs of New York as the best picture in 2002, but Aviator is the better film even if I haven't picked it here. It is hands down Leonardo DiCaprio's best performance as well. Both are brilliant films, and this is probably the strongest year of the decade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"